PDA

View Full Version : I can sum up the biggest problem in WWE's main event scene in one word.

FourFifty
09-01-2007, 02:34 AM
Time

Some of my favorite main event feuds were HBK/Bret Hart and Triple H/The Rock. These were never a one time deal. Bret and HBK went at each other for years. Triple H and The Rock had a ladder match for the IC title at a ppv one year and then were wrestling for the WWE title at the same ppv the next year. The Undertaker/Mankind was great because it was drug out. But what is the WWE doing now?

One Month Build Ups.
You have Cena defend his title against a new comer almost every month. There’s the SmackDown curse which has forced SmackDown’s main event scene to change too often. Now there are 10 guys we possibly won’t see for a month which could have been in the main event scene.

What the WWE should is cut back on their tri-branded ppvs so they can build up their stars. Yes, this all goes back to the evil that is the blurring of the brand split.. Put more title shots on tv. Just once every 30 days as per the “rules.” And then hype the hell out of a main event a month in advance. Just have one month with the champ keeping his credibility while people fight for a title shot.
It’ll also give more wrestlers time to shine. You won’t need the champ every week. This’ll allow mid-card storylines to progress, Seriously, do we NEED a long promo from the champion, or any sign of him every week? No. As long as other people drop his name he’ll be good.

So give the wrestlers time to build up their feuds. Sometimes I think the writers are playing SmackDown vs. Raw and booking it like every month needs to be something huge.

Champion of Europa
09-01-2007, 04:19 AM
I don't feel like the wrestlers truly hate each other in their feuds anymore. With Triple H and Rock, it went on forever and you could feel that they really wanted to destroy each other.

Now we get these short feuds that everyone forgets about two months later.

The closest they've had to an old school Bret/HBK and HHH/Rock feud recently is Edge vs. Cena. I think when people look back on this generation and look for who Cena's arch nemesis is, Edge would be it.

Mr. Nerfect
09-01-2007, 07:24 AM
The WWE often carries out their feuds for several months, but they very rarely evolve like they should. John Morrison vs. CM Punk is actually a damn good feud going on ECW. The same goes for Stevie Richards and Kevin Thorn's program, although it is not for a World Title. In fact, ECW is very good with building its feuds.

John Morrison vs. CM Punk and John Cena vs. Randy Orton both have the potential to become those "Attitude era" feuds, where you just feel the hate and the chemistry between the wrestlers. Another one I'd like to throw out there is Edge vs. Mr. Kennedy, which probably won't end up happening. I'd love to see Kennedy win the Royal Rumble, however, move back to SmackDown!, and challenge Edge for the World Heavyweight Title at WrestleMania. Have Kennedy boast that he ended Edge's undefeated streak at WrestleMania, with Edge disputing it because he was taken out of the match, and reminding Kennedy that Edge won his Money in the Bank title shot from him. I think it would heat up in no time, with the fans taking Kennedy's side. Have Mr. Kennedy win the World Heavyweight Championship at WrestleMania, and then have Edge chase the belt back, and let them trade it a few times ala Rock/Triple H.

El Fangel
09-01-2007, 01:51 PM
Hart/HBK
Rock/HHH
SCSA/Rock

Those are feuds that we will never see again, and why? WWE does not have anything new left to do. Ladder matches were newer when Rock and HHH went at it, There was ingenuity in promos and as mentioned before It was like they wanted to kill each other, not to try for the title and walk away, when one lost before, the winner had to boot it to keep his head intact. They need a few big feuds like back in the day when SCSA was going at Vince, HHH and Rock were duking it out, Mankind and Taker were near killing each other, the mid-card was interesting with smaller but no less interesting feuds, the womans division had wrestlers, the light heavyweight had more then 2 people, and the tag team titles were main event gold, not jobber gold.

BigDaddyCool
09-01-2007, 01:59 PM
The problem isn't that simple. It is amoung the problems with the mainevent, but they also focus on guys that either can't wrestle, phone it in, or both.

Also, they gimmick matches aren't a problem. You might notice WWE is very smart about not over using gimmick matches. The gimmick matchs in WWE still mean something when they have one, unlike TNA where the entire ppv is gimmick matches.

DAMN iNATOR
09-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Even though it was TOTALLY predictable ( :eek: ) with what was going to happen in the "Championship Competition" last night on F.N.S.D.!, that's part of what made it such shit. And now we have to suffer through a match that will probably feature the classic David v. Goliath thing (in the WHC match @ Unforgiven), only this time, not only does the supposed "good guy" win, he also (most likely) takes the gold. Bullshit!:foc:, “V-Mac”!

Jordan
09-01-2007, 02:22 PM
The reason Morrison/Punk works for so long is cause ECW is a 1 hr show

IC Champion
09-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Morrison/Punk has sucked.

Xero
09-01-2007, 04:27 PM
I can sum it up in one word too.

CENAWINS.

Anyway, I agree.

Mr. Nerfect
09-02-2007, 06:32 AM
Morrison/Punk has sucked.

Been way better than anything on RAW, in my opinion. Of course, that might be because Morrison has been the most entertaining World Champion the WWE has, and because CM Punk is a challenger that hasn't been pushed down our throats.

Kane Knight
09-02-2007, 10:04 AM
The problem isn't that simple. It is amoung the problems with the mainevent, but they also focus on guys that either can't wrestle, phone it in, or both.

Not to mention faces who don't have the support of the fans, heels who get bigger pops than the faces, and so on.

There's like, a dozen other problems with WWE. Most of them are ME scene issues.

IC Champion
09-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Been way better than anything on RAW, in my opinion. Of course, that might be because Morrison has been the most entertaining World Champion the WWE has, and because CM Punk is a challenger that hasn't been pushed down our throats.
That doesnt make Morrison any less terrible than he was.

addy2hotty
09-02-2007, 05:18 PM

Lets be honest Alienoid, had Big Daddy V been feuding with Punk, you'd have said he was entertaining.

The straight edge blinds you.

Mr. Nerfect
09-03-2007, 04:27 AM
Lets be honest Alienoid, had Big Daddy V been feuding with Punk, you'd have said he was entertaining.

The straight edge blinds you.

Bid Daddy V has not been horrible, but when he does challenge CM Punk during Morrison's absence, it will suck. Morrison is not bad, at all. He gave the most entertaining promo of the week last week. I'm sorry, Triple H, but you're just not as funny as you think you are.

Corkscrewed
09-03-2007, 05:02 AM
Um... basically it comes down to the writing staff having months or a couple of years of experience at most, as opposed to the writing staff in the heyday, which had decades.

Basically, they don't know how to write good feuds anymore. Or they don't care to try.

Mr. Nerfect
09-03-2007, 05:37 AM
Um... basically it comes down to the writing staff having months or a couple of years of experience at most, as opposed to the writing staff in the heyday, which had decades.

Basically, they don't know how to write good feuds anymore. Or they don't care to try.

As much fun as it is to bash the writing team, I think I am going to stop. Some of them may be idiots, but I honestly think there are some capable ones in there that are lifelong fans of the product, and are capable of producing some good.

I mean, how many times do you think a writer has actually had a great idea for an undercard wrestler, and then had Vince or Stephanie swat it down because it didn't involve John Cena or Triple H? Surely there must be one or two passable staff writers that are just limited by who the WWE lets them write for, and what they are allowed to write about.

The Optimist
09-04-2007, 07:44 AM
Cena has to face constant new challenges or he'll lose precious time he could be using overcoming the odds.