PDA

View Full Version : Flair quits WWE?

KingofOldSchool
09-04-2007, 11:13 PM
Wade Keller of PWtorch is reporting

Ric Flair quit WWE this week over frustration with his push and a lack of any encouraging communucation from the front office.

There are now discussions to try to talk him into cooling off and agreeing to not quit.

His situation doesn't appear to be at all related to the suspensions, although he's now more valuable with some names being gone for a month.

If things don't work out, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that Flair could be offered a sweet and tempting deal to be part of TNA's two hour launch.

CSL
09-04-2007, 11:15 PM
LoL. If Flair quits WWE, he'll be wrestling in somebody's ring until the day he dies.

BigDaddyCool
09-04-2007, 11:17 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about this. Flair needs to retire.

Shadow
09-04-2007, 11:35 PM
I really can't say what I think...I mean...Flair, gone? *blinks* just wow.

IC Champion
09-04-2007, 11:36 PM
Meh.

mrslackalack
09-04-2007, 11:40 PM
I was wondering where Flair had been lately.

Xero
09-04-2007, 11:40 PM
Wooooooo didn't see this one coming,

FourFifty
09-04-2007, 11:59 PM
LoL. If Flair quits WWE, he'll be wrestling in somebody's ring until the day he dies.

And cue the video of The Hammer in someone's backyard.

Mr. Nerfect
09-05-2007, 12:29 AM
Ric Flair isn't really needed in the WWE. The guy is a legend, but his last great match was years ago, and his age really shows physically, and it makes things awkward. I don't blame him for being upset with the WWE, but what does he really expect in a push? The guy should be a manager, or a colour commentator, or something.

On the other hand, whilst this looks hypocritical, TNA picking up Ric Flair is a smart move. I'm sure they'd promote him as a 21-time World Champion, rather than the WWE's lesser 16-times, and use him to get a bit of a boost. There is network pressure for TNA to get big names signed, and Ric Flair legitimises them a little more, if just a little. Sting vs. Ric Flair at Bound For Glory? It could happen. Although, the WWE would probably slap a 90-day no complete cause on Flair if he left. Ric Flair vs. Sting, one last time, is one of those matches that TNA can run to get some exposure. Kurt Angle vs. Ric Flair, and even a match like Flair vs. Alex Shelley, with Flair passing on the title of "Nature Boy," or something, could set TNA up for the future.

There other option for Flair is ROH. It might not seem likely, but Flair could definitely make a few appearances with them. Ricky Steamboat did it, Bruno Sammartino did it, and Mick Foley did it. I don't know if they'd have Flair wrestle, but I can definitely see him coming out to give a speech. There are also some guys in ROH that I can see Flair wanting to wrestle if he got the chance, and Flair and said wrestlers taking a realistic approach to Flair's age, and rather have him hang in there on experience and legend alone.

The Fugitive
09-05-2007, 12:38 AM
Sting vs. Ric Flair at Bound For Glory? It could happen.

Should it happen? Absolutely not.

Skippord
09-05-2007, 12:55 AM
Thank fuck

Outsider
09-05-2007, 04:15 AM
I'd love to see him take on a decent non-wrestling role. WCW did the right thing in making him 'CEO'. If TNA could find a great authority position for him it would be a real step in the right direction. But by the sounds of it, that's not what Flair wants.

What Would Kevin Do?
09-05-2007, 04:20 AM
Flair appearing in ROH would be alright. Flair wrestling in ROH would not. I hate to be a dick, but I really think Flair is a liability in the ring. Furthermore, Flair getting decent offense in the ring just makes his opponent look bad.

timby
09-05-2007, 04:23 AM
Although, the WWE would probably slap a 90-day no complete cause on Flair if he left.

It depends on how Flair's signed to WWE right now. Is there any concrete information on Flair's contract?

Non-compete clauses are extremely difficult to enforce in this day and age. Unless there is a notarized contract with a specific non-compete stipulation in the event of termination, Flair could easily walk to TNA next week, if he wanted to. This, again, is assuming there is an actual signed contract.

If Flair is simply under contract without a no-compete and wants to quit, WWE can take him off the road, but he would be bound to WWE until the expiration of the contract (again, unless it were terminated). If he were to sit at home, WWE could sue him for breach of contract due to failure to provide services promised.

If Flair is working program-to-program on a handshake deal, he can do whatever the hell he wants.

Pepsi Man
09-05-2007, 05:16 AM
Yeah, I'm gonna take this with a huge grain of salt for right now.

Tommy Gunn
09-05-2007, 05:17 AM
I respect Flair for his career in the 80s-mid 90s but he's about 10+ years past his best and long overdue retiring. I'd rather see someone else on Smackdown rather than Flair stinking up his legacy any further.

Mr. Nerfect
09-05-2007, 05:54 AM
Flair appearing in ROH would be alright. Flair wrestling in ROH would not. I hate to be a dick, but I really think Flair is a liability in the ring. Furthermore, Flair getting decent offense in the ring just makes his opponent look bad.

Oh, I definitely agree, to an extent. Part of me would be curious to see Ric Flair wrestle a different type of match in ROH, though. Like one where he out-maneuvered, overpowered and out wrestled by his opponent. Flair as he is in the WWE is awful, but in ROH, say with Bryan Danielson, I think they would work a match where Flair could just not move like he used to, but still shows he has the brains for the business by lasting as long as he does, and teaching Danielson some tricks. That is if Flair wants to play ball. If it he wants to make himself out to be a credible threat, and get a lot of offense in, there no fucking way.

That's why I initially suggested the Bruno Sammartino/Mick Foley/Ricky Steamboat road for him. I doubt Ric Flair would wrestle for ROH if given the chance, anyway. For one, I doubt Flair would want to wrestle an honest match, and secondly, the money probably wouldn't be right for Flair. Especially considering he'd look way past his prime in the showing.

If Flair is going anywhere, I think it would be TNA. Just out of curiosity, though, how much money does Ric Flair have? Do you think he'd be able to start up his own company? Don't ask me why, but I can just see Flair wanting to take that route. Maybe he'll invest in NWA, or something, and try and get them a TV or PPV deal. I just can't see the guy moseying into the sunset, and even TNA is a stretch for me. Something about it just doesn't seem right.

But yes, Ric Flair's days as an in-ring competitor should be over. The WWE are apparently offering him a major program if he returns, though. Get ready for Batista to win the World Heavyweight Championship and feud with his "mentor".

The Fugitive
09-05-2007, 06:04 AM
Does Flair have money issues though? I thought that was the reason for him still wrestling, not just for the love of it, but because he owed his ex-wife or the IRS money. If I'm correct about that, I can't see him starting up his own company or even being able to invest in a new company.

In my opinion, the best thing for him to do if he quits WWE is to just hang up the boots. He could do some great work as an authority figure for an promotion or as a manager for some up-and-coming star on the indy scene (imagine the rub he could give to some guys who aren't good on the stick but can back it up in the ring) and if there's a wrestling convention, I imagine the promoters would be paying good money to get Flair to appear. There's a lot of opportunities for a legend like him and he wouldn't have to kill himself in the ring to earn a buck.

Mr. Nerfect
09-05-2007, 06:50 AM
Does Flair have money issues though? I thought that was the reason for him still wrestling, not just for the love of it, but because he owed his ex-wife or the IRS money. If I'm correct about that, I can't see him starting up his own company or even being able to invest in a new company.

In my opinion, the best thing for him to do if he quits WWE is to just hang up the boots. He could do some great work as an authority figure for an promotion or as a manager for some up-and-coming star on the indy scene (imagine the rub he could give to some guys who aren't good on the stick but can back it up in the ring) and if there's a wrestling convention, I imagine the promoters would be paying good money to get Flair to appear. There's a lot of opportunities for a legend like him and he wouldn't have to kill himself in the ring to earn a buck.

Ah yes, that was the reason. I guess I just got caught up in the mental picture of Flair's glory days. I guess that avenue for Flair is written off.

I think what might be going on, is that Ric Flair needs to wrestle, but as he is way past his prime, the WWE uses him as a special attraction lower on the card, but Flair feels that if he is a full-time wrestler, he should be treated as he always was when he was a full-time wrestler. Jobbing to Rico is for part-time wrestler Ric Flair. Full-time wrestler Ric Flair probably wants another World Title.

Rob
09-05-2007, 07:03 AM
Flair has already pissed all over his legacy with his last WWE run. Now he is quitting taking big pay checks after he has already shamed himself enough in that time? Smart move pal.

Pepsi Man
09-05-2007, 10:04 AM
rofl @ an "honest match". It's pro wrestling; honesty has never been a priority. And to call that glorified acrobatic showcase known as the ROH "honest"? Hahaha.

Mercury Bullet
09-05-2007, 12:11 PM
I don't think he can stay away from wrestling. If he does go to TNA (and not to revolutionize wrestling in the X-Division) I would like to see Cornette become the 'heel' boss and Flair become the 'face' boss and maybe a struggle for power between the two.

I wouldn't mind him working a match here and there, but it should be limited to no more than once every three months. So, four total in a year. It would make his ring appearance seem more 'special' and less awful to watch.

IC Champion
09-05-2007, 12:20 PM
I, for one, am looking forward to not seeing Flair anymore, I hope he just calls it a day and stays the fuck home, something he should have done before '97.

The One
09-05-2007, 12:31 PM
I love Ric Flair.

...he needs to retire...

Mr. Nerfect
09-05-2007, 12:31 PM
rofl @ an "honest match". It's pro wrestling; honesty has never been a priority. And to call that glorified acrobatic showcase known as the ROH "honest"? Hahaha.

Normally I don't mind your posts, as they have at least some trace of intelligence in them, but come on, Peps. Who gives a fuck if honesty is not a priority? No fucking shit, Sherlock, that doesn't mean you can't implement realism at some stage. All I'm saying is that if I am to buy into another Ric Flair match, he will need to look less like he's trying to pass himself off as being in his prime physically.

And you obviously don't watch ROH, so I'm not going to comment your indictment of them, because it isn't based on anything but ignorance.

Mr. Nerfect
09-05-2007, 12:33 PM
At least when The One talks down about independents, he at least gets some things right (like a lot of them wanting to be too different from the WWE). He is very out of date with his ROH, but he has that bit of it down. I'm not sure if you've got even that much, Pepsi. :-\

Mr. Nerfect
09-05-2007, 12:35 PM
I love Ric Flair.

...he needs to retire...

I agree with those people who don't know whether to love you or hate you. There is some complete shit that comes out of your mouth, but then you say something respectable like that. It's not the first time you've said it, but I'm glad you acknowledge Flair's need to retire even with your man-crush on him.

Stickman
09-05-2007, 12:35 PM
He needs to retire or be a heel manager. Stable mouthpiece maybe.

Pepsi Man
09-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Normally I don't mind your posts, as they have at least some trace of intelligence in them, but come on, Peps. Who gives a fuck if honesty is not a priority? No fucking shit, Sherlock, that doesn't mean you can't implement realism at some stage. All I'm saying is that if I am to buy into another Ric Flair match, he will need to look less like he's trying to pass himself off as being in his prime physically.

And you obviously don't watch ROH, so I'm not going to comment your indictment of them, because it isn't based on anything but ignorance.
It's based on whatever I do see from fanboys and girls that constantly tell me how great it is. "See? Look at this!"

As for honesty not being a priority and why I chose to mention that, you're the one that brought up the point of an "honest match", not me. I will, however, say that I'm actually a bit happy that you seem to be seeing how I feel when I read most of your posts. It's alright, though. No hard personal feelings.

The One
09-05-2007, 12:58 PM
I agree with those people who don't know whether to love you or hate you.

Face it, I'm a heel you love to hate. :D

lort
09-05-2007, 01:40 PM
Sounds like he just knows he can push for more money and tv time with all the roster problems at the moment. So he is pushing for it.

FourFifty
09-05-2007, 01:48 PM
I love Ric Flair.

...he needs to retire...

Tovo speaks the wisdom of the ages...
Maybe he shouldn't totally throw in the towel, but become a mentor figure on screen, have him start a stable of younger guys to get the rub off of Naich. It could be great as a face or heel faction.

YOUR Hero
09-05-2007, 11:00 PM
And cue the video of The Hammer in someone's backyard.

That's exactly what I was thinking too.

Rob
09-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Flair should have retired in 1994 when he was on top. At the very latest, he should have quit either when the last Four Horseman group went to shit or when WCW went under.

Mr. JL
09-07-2007, 10:07 PM
Flair closer to dying in the middle of the ring than he is to retiring.

Kane Knight
09-07-2007, 11:11 PM
That could actually be a blessing in disguise.

Let me be clear I don't wish death on Flair. I'm not saying this to be a pussy, because if I wanted him to die, I'd say so.

An active wrestler dying in the ring (And these days, it's gonna happen) or on the way to the hospital might be a wakeup call. Owen Hart doesn't count.

Crossrine
09-07-2007, 11:16 PM
I think Ric Flair is so late into wrestling there is no point in retiring. Like it's too late. But at the same time I dont want to see him having to job to the likes of Carlito and other people whose names I do not care for..

Mr. JL
09-07-2007, 11:36 PM
That could actually be a blessing in disguise.

Let me be clear I don't wish death on Flair. I'm not saying this to be a pussy, because if I wanted him to die, I'd say so.

An active wrestler dying in the ring (And these days, it's gonna happen) or on the way to the hospital might be a wakeup call. Owen Hart doesn't count.
It could be, but you would think the findings on Benoit's brain would be enough of a wake-up call in itself.

Azriel
09-07-2007, 11:47 PM
he should be RAW GM instead of Coach

Kane Knight
09-08-2007, 09:00 AM
It could be, but you would think the findings on Benoit's brain would be enough of a wake-up call in itself.

You'd think Eddie or Owenwould be enough, but....

Mr. JL
09-08-2007, 09:25 AM
True

Kane Knight
09-08-2007, 10:47 AM
I'm starting to think the only wake-up call will be if half the Rumble dies in-ring.

br0ken
09-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Rick Flair is space mountain. :lol: Rememember that :?:

Paranoid Rattlesnake
09-10-2007, 03:26 PM
It depends on how Flair's signed to WWE right now. Is there any concrete information on Flair's contract?

Non-compete clauses are extremely difficult to enforce in this day and age. Unless there is a notarized contract with a specific non-compete stipulation in the event of termination, Flair could easily walk to TNA next week, if he wanted to. This, again, is assuming there is an actual signed contract.

If Flair is simply under contract without a no-compete and wants to quit, WWE can take him off the road, but he would be bound to WWE until the expiration of the contract (again, unless it were terminated). If he were to sit at home, WWE could sue him for breach of contract due to failure to provide services promised.

If Flair is working program-to-program on a handshake deal, he can do whatever the hell he wants.

No shit sherlock

DAMN iNATOR
09-10-2007, 04:10 PM
he should be RAW GM instead of Coach

Regal is the RAW GM right now, and he only just started a month ago, so don't look for him to lose his new job anytime soon, and furthermore, Jonathan Coachman, aka The Coach, is now Regal's AND Mr. MCMahon's Executive Assistants.