PDA

View Full Version : Five years ago the 3H Title was founded.

Xero
09-07-2007, 11:55 AM
http://www.wwe.com/content/media/images/3883682/5379048

While there was no birthday cake in the locker room, Sept. 2 was an anniversary for one of WWE’s most sought-after honors.

On Sept. 2, 2002 in Milwaukee, Raw General Manager Eric Bischoff bestowed the new WWE World Heavyweight Championship on Triple H to give the Raw brand its own signature champion after WWE Undisputed Champion Brock Lesnar declared he would only compete on SmackDown.

Although new, the honor had an extensive history. It was directly descended from the former WCW World Championship, which came to WWE from the company’s purchase of WCW in 2001.

Before it was the WCW World Championship, the title was also the National Wrestling Alliance’s World Heavyweight Championship. The NWA lineage is traceable back to George Hackenschmidt, who first won the title in 1904. Legendary wrestlers Frank Gotch, Lou Thesz, Bronko Nagurski, and Harley Race also held the NWA championship in the prime of their careers.

When WCW ended its relationship with the NWA in the early 1990s, Ric Flair was recognized as the first-ever WCW World Champion. Since that time, top names such as Hulk Hogan, Ron Simmons, and Bret Hart carried the championship prior to WCW's demise.

During the 2001 invasion of WCW and ECW, the WCW World Title changed hands six times in a WWE ring before Chris Jericho unified it with the WWE Championship at Vengeance in December 2001.

Since its reincarnation in 2002, top WWE Superstars such as Shawn Michaels, The Great Khali, Edge, Batista, Triple H, King Booker, Undertaker and Rey Mysterio have worn the prestigious championship. It has changed hands 16 times, and Triple H leads the locker room with five championship reigns.

While only five years young, WWE’s version of the World Heavyweight gold has already had a ringside seat for some of our most memorable and competitive matches.

And as SmackDown’s signature championship, the title will likely celebrate many more birthdays on future champions’ waists, for some yet to step in a WWE ring, and some yet to be born.

From WWE.com.

IC Champion
09-07-2007, 11:57 AM
I wonder if HHH misses his belt?

Theo Dious
09-07-2007, 12:02 PM
I'm glad they're making it plain that the WHC at least has a CONNECTION to the WCW title instead of their usual ambiguous crap.

BigDaddyCool
09-07-2007, 12:33 PM
[Since that time, top names such as Hulk Hogan, Ron Simmons, and Bret Hart carried the championship prior to WCW's demise.

While all did hold the title, one of these names does not belong.

Loose Cannon
09-07-2007, 12:39 PM
lol Ron Simmons. wtf

Loose Cannon
09-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Sting, Vader, Savage, Nash, Goldberg, Lex Luger and Big Show didn't show up on the list when the guy was choosing three names.

Pepsi Man
09-07-2007, 01:06 PM
<font size=700 color=red><b>DAMN!</b></font>

The One
09-07-2007, 01:06 PM
[QUOTE=Xero Limit 126Before it was the WCW World Championship, the title was also the National Wrestling Alliance’s World Heavyweight Championship. The NWA lineage is traceable back to George Hackenschmidt, who first won the title in 1904. Legendary wrestlers Frank Gotch, Lou Thesz, Bronko Nagurski, and Harley Race also held the NWA championship in the prime of their careers.[/QUOTE]

OK, they can rewrite their own history all they want, and if they want to say it has connections to the WCW Title now I suppose they can, but they have NO FUCKING RIGHT to say it has anything to do with the NWA World Heavyweight Championship. WCW tried to steal it's history from day one, and WWE is now fallowing suit. Go fuck yourself you blood sucking cock leeches.

And by the way, while we're on the topic, not even the NWA Belt can claim to be raced back to 1904 with Hackenschmidt. I realize WWE doesn't give a flying fuck about history, and they expect fans to forget about things within 2 months, but rewriting history, an honorable history at that, and one that they had nothing to do with, and still to this day have no legal rights to is fucking bullshit.

For the record, the NWA World Championship is traced back to 1940...and even going that far back is a bit of a stretch.

The One
09-07-2007, 01:18 PM
If you check out the picture show they have for the Title, it shows David Arquette winning with the phrase "perhaps the lowest point in the title's history" below it. LOL.

owenbrown
09-07-2007, 02:09 PM
If you check out the picture show they have for the Title, it shows David Arquette winning with the phrase "perhaps the lowest point in the title's history" below it. LOL.

Change the picture from Arquette to Vince Russo and you got it <b>OR</b> put pics of Arquette <b> AND </b> Russo side by side and say "perhaps the TWO lowest point<b>s</b> in the title's history" and you got it.

dablackguy
09-07-2007, 03:09 PM
Always hated that, from the day it happened even to now

Why make a guy earn a title for the legitimacy of his reign? Why not just hand him a belt for no other reason than he's banging the owner's daughter

Pepsi Man
09-07-2007, 03:19 PM

Why make a guy earn a title for the legitimacy of his reign? Why not just hand him a belt for no other reason than he's banging the owner's daughter
As far as that goes, Triple H had defeated The Undertaker, I believe the week prior, though I'm not 100% on the date of that, and was the number one contender for the Undisputed Title, until Stephanie McMahon revealed that Brock Lesnar was going to wrestle (along with what became the WWE Title again, as upposed to the "Undisputed Title") exclusively for SmackDown!

BigDaddyCool
09-07-2007, 03:48 PM

Triple Haitch doesn't need to earn anything.

The Optimist
09-08-2007, 08:02 AM
The birth of beltie.

Mr. Nerfect
09-09-2007, 06:27 AM
OK, they can rewrite their own history all they want, and if they want to say it has connections to the WCW Title now I suppose they can, but they have NO FUCKING RIGHT to say it has anything to do with the NWA World Heavyweight Championship. WCW tried to steal it's history from day one, and WWE is now fallowing suit. Go fuck yourself you blood sucking cock leeches.

And by the way, while we're on the topic, not even the NWA Belt can claim to be raced back to 1904 with Hackenschmidt. I realize WWE doesn't give a flying fuck about history, and they expect fans to forget about things within 2 months, but rewriting history, an honorable history at that, and one that they had nothing to do with, and still to this day have no legal rights to is fucking bullshit.

For the record, the NWA World Championship is traced back to 1940...and even going that far back is a bit of a stretch.

I agree. I feel bad arguing with this, because this is one of your tastes I can agree with. The Big Gold Belt does have ties to the old NWA, though, so when talking about the actual history of the belt, I think some mention should be made. They have no right to talk about the history like they own it, though. If the want to bring up the history of the NWA, they should do it as the NWA recognises it.

On a related note, it pisses me off that the WWE only recognises about six of Ric Flair's NWA Title reigns, whereas the NWA recognises ten. Seeing as the NWA sanction their own fucking belts, they should be the ones who say how many times Flair won their Championship.

So I don't really have a problem with the WWE tying the physical belt to the NWA, but the existence of the big gold belt only goes back to 1986. That is where it should end for the WWE. Belts and titles should be completely separate aspects of a Championship. Just like Kurt Angle cannot claim to actually hold a title descended from the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship, just because he holds the belt; The Great Khali can not say he is a part of the same history as the NWA Title holders.

darkpower
09-09-2007, 06:33 AM
At least the WWE is trying to give the main SmackDown belt some creditability.

Now if only we could actually give a fuck about the ECW Title.