PDA

View Full Version : The problem with today's young up and comeing stars

BigDaddyCool
09-24-2007, 04:16 PM
The problem is too many of them have spent too much time on figure out how to get noticed that they don't know what to do now that they are noticed. For example, Ken Kennedy. Here is a guy who came out guns blazing yelling look at me. So we all have. Now that we are looking at him, he does exactly the same thing. So we give him another chance, and what does he do, again he shouts his name. His matches are so so. His look is decent, but he looks skinny and small (especially when he was fueding with Lashley and Batista.)

Another prime example is Carlito. Carlito has a look that seprated him. And decent amoung of charisma and can move in ring. He has been given programs with top guys and big names. But all he has done is coast since he got over the first time.

The only new guy that has brought it is MVP.

Discuss.

Anybody Thrilla
09-24-2007, 04:25 PM
I somewhat see where you're coming from, but one has to wonder what they're being told to do/not do by the brass. I'm sure a bunch of people have ideas that simply won't see the light of day.

KingofOldSchool
09-24-2007, 05:08 PM
The problem is too many of them have spent too much time on figure out how to get noticed that they don't know what to do now that they are noticed. For example, Ken Kennedy. Here is a guy who came out guns blazing yelling look at me. So we all have. Now that we are looking at him, he does exactly the same thing. So we give him another chance, and what does he do, again he shouts his name. His matches are so so. His look is decent, but he looks skinny and small (especially when he was fueding with Lashley and Batista.)

But but Kennedy is the man and can do no wrong!

IC Champion
09-24-2007, 05:16 PM

Jura
09-24-2007, 05:23 PM
*coming

Kane Knight
09-24-2007, 06:09 PM

...KENNNNNNNEDDY!

[/loserwhoblindlyfellatesanythingwithacatchphrase]

Kane Knight
09-24-2007, 06:09 PM
*coming
*cumming

Johnny Vegas
09-24-2007, 08:48 PM
i do agree with some of that. but i also agree with ABT on the basis that ppl within that organization won't let some ideas happen. Mainly because i think certain ppl will get out performed (HHH) and there will be no more room for some ppl with 'pull' in the lockeroom. I personally think CM Punk would be contending for the WHC by now, that being based off of my theory.

Kane Knight
09-24-2007, 09:56 PM
Short of a stupid, clichéd answer like "Vince McMahon" there is no single problem.

Wrestlers don't seem to raise the bar, but booking seems stagnant, and advancement seems minimal. So on both ends of that, you've got problems. No plans from creative, no incentive for the wrestlers.

This can be relegated in part to politics, but part of it is Vince doesn't know how to book a show that entertains the masses, and has hired staff that writes along the lines of what Vince likes. A lot of people are booked strong, but dropped altogether when booking/Vince/whatever gets bored with them. Vince thinks Cena and Batista are the future, and will continue to push that until they die, are injured, or the ratings completely tank.

In the current business, you're pretty much either "made" or you're not. It's clear, for example, that Orton will be a main eventer no matter how many times he fucks up. That was clear early on. You can say he can't wrestle, he can't talk, but he's a made man. When they're keen on someone, when they like someone, they will go "far," like it or not. When they're not...

...Well, Christian comes to mind.

That's not really holding people down, and so I think it's a separate issue. It's still politics (Who you know, who you're related to, etc.), it's just not say, Triple H holding down the roster. Cena's arguably done more damage to the actual roster than Trips ever did.

BigDaddyCool
09-24-2007, 11:03 PM
Shelton Benjiam, there is another guy that has done shit to keep me intrested. Sure he can move around the ring. But has he ever done crap to entertain.

While the polictal aspect is true. There is something the wrestlers can do to keep the crowds entertained and get over for theirselves.

Kane Knight
09-25-2007, 10:58 AM
BDC, even I've noticed that a lot of the new crowd have gotten themselves over. Maybe not "Rock or Austin" Over, but that doesn't come from just being over with the crowd. You need some sort of real push to take it the next step. Whether you like Kennedy or Benjamin, both got a lot of strong reactions. Half the time, it's like WWE says "how can we fuck this up?"

There's a Lewis Black joke about Democrats and Republicans, where the Dem says he has a bad idea and the Republican tells him how to make it worse. Or vice versa. I don't care. Anyway, that's what I'm reminded of.

Finlay's reasonably over as a badass? Give him a midget. Hell, put the Swog in the ME more than Fit.
Shelton's getting fairly over, let's make him a momma's boy.
CM Punk is outpopping the Beatles, Jesus, and DX in one night? Let's move him to ECW. :shifty:

What Would Kevin Do?
09-25-2007, 11:10 AM
KK hit the nail right on the head.

Yeah, new talent needs to develop themselves, but they need a platform to do it on. A lot of guys obviously have the potential, but either they aren't given the chance, or when they do get over, WWE does something retarded.

Shelton was getting good crowd responses, so let's take him off tv for a bit. Remember how over he was when he beat HHH? I mean, how do you go from that, to not having the guy on tv?

Charlie Haas, comes to RAW strong, as a surprise opponent for Shelton, gets a decent response... Then gets stuck in a feud/team with Vicsera, before being taken off tv, magically reappearing at Shelton's partner again.

Cryme Tyme. They were over, then pulled from tv. They were put back on, got over, and then were fired.

Carlito? He was over, so they turn him face, put him in a floundering "love story", and eventually turn him back heel. Also, for the most part, can't pick up a win to save his life.

I mean, come on, it's not rocket science.

Then you got guys like Khali and mark Henry, who aren't the best, but it doesn't help that they're used horribly. Khali could be a likeable comedy-ish/friendly learning giant act. Henry could be a great enforcer for a stable.... But nah, lets just have them do the same ole generic shit.

And Chuck Palumbo? Ugh, that gimick will go places. Did anyone see when he just randomly talked about his Mom running over his dad? WTF was that?

UGH!

Kane Knight
09-25-2007, 11:35 AM
My favorite was Christian. A guy who was over enough to outpop the face (GRanted, a floundering Cena), so they try and edit the cheers out when they go to the UK and Raw is pretaped. Like we're somehow gonna hear him booed for one week and think "OMG, he's a heel after all!"

They've had some hot prospects, and they've screwed the pooch. Though Shelton seems to screw himself up enough.

IC Champion
09-25-2007, 11:38 AM
I agree with what BDC and KK have said, nothing to add really, well there is but I'm to lazy.

Kane Knight
09-25-2007, 11:40 AM
Laziness is next to Godliness.

IC Champion
09-25-2007, 11:41 AM
Laziness is next to Godliness.
A great man once told me so.

BigDaddyCool
09-25-2007, 11:53 AM
And Chuck Palumbo? Ugh, that gimick will go places. Did anyone see when he just randomly talked about his Mom running over his dad? WTF was that?

Palumbo is 3 kinds of suck. He is big, but not big enough. He has a cornball gimmick. And has about as much charisma as jordan x has smarts.

IC Champion
09-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Also, Fuck Triple H.

That is all.

St. Jimmy
09-25-2007, 12:19 PM
Will someone just bury MVP already so the IWC will shut the fuck up about him. He's nothing special, move on.

Go back to blowing Bryan Danialson or some shit. Jesus.

Theo Dious
09-25-2007, 12:28 PM
There's a Lewis Black joke about Democrats and Republicans, where the Dem says he has a bad idea and the Republican tells him how to make it worse. Or vice versa. I don't care. Anyway, that's what I'm reminded of.

Just for clarification:

Republican: I gotta really bad idea!
Democrat: And I can make it shittier!

I love that CD. :love:

Theo Dious
09-25-2007, 12:30 PM
Will someone just bury MVP already so the IWC will shut the fuck up about him. He's nothing special, move on.

The guy gets himself noticed, and he makes people keep noticing. That is the exact quality that one needs to make themselves and established star. Then they can take the next step. The problem is that people just get noticed anymore and then look around waiting for someone to tell them what to do.

IC Champion
09-25-2007, 12:32 PM
MVP actually has potential, and has improved leaps and bounds since debuting. I wasn't a fan of his at first, but he's won me over.

BigDaddyCool
09-25-2007, 12:33 PM

Go back to blowing Bryan Danialson or some shit. Jesus.

MVP is something special. :'(

.44 Magdalene
09-25-2007, 12:55 PM
Yeah. You can't tell me there was anything "special" about Steve Austin. He's no Rock on the mic, he's no Shawn in the ring... but he could make you pay attention. MVP has that, and he's getting better at it.

.44 Magdalene
09-25-2007, 12:56 PM
Not that I'm saying MVP is the next Austin, but fuck, you know what I'm saying.

BigDaddyCool
09-25-2007, 01:09 PM
Yeah. MVP is going to be the next big thing, but he is still just going to be MVP.

What Would Kevin Do?
09-25-2007, 02:06 PM
MVP has a future. Barring stupidity on his, or the WWE's part, he'll be main eventing Mania within the next 5 years.

Tommy Gunn
09-25-2007, 02:07 PM
MVP's push / gimmick reminds me of Kurt Angle's first year. Probably why I dig him so much. MVP is the highlight of SD for me.

Ken Kennedy has been unlucky in that his injury killed his momentum after winning Money in the Bank. Then he starts building up again and gets suspended. The biggest thing holding Kennedy back is he got moved to RAW, where up and comers get fed to the likes of Trips and Cena. Kennedy is going nowhere until he gets drafted back to SD IMO.

St. Jimmy
09-25-2007, 03:58 PM
Let's talk about WWE's Food Chain:

1:
http://www.wwe.com/superstars/smackdown/mvp/photos/mediaphotos/mvp1.jpg
Food.

2:
http://students.ithaca.edu/%7Ebwolfe1/finalproject/images/cena1.jpg
Carnivore.

3:
http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/pictures/t/tripleh/88.jpg
Consumer of Worlds, Destroyer of Pushes, King of Kings.

Any Questions?