PDA

View Full Version : My PS2 Disc Read Error Problem(s).

TazroK
03-03-2004, 11:35 AM
I'v been having DREs for awhile now. But recently it has been a b*.

So tomorrow I'm taking the baby apart (maybe).

I'v been told to clean the lens, but other sites also say other crap with changing a gear. But I really don't wan't to F everything up.

So if any of you had this problem, please tell me exactly what you did.

Plus for some reason, I turned on my PS2 and inside I hear something fly off. It's like something exploded lol. So I'm afraid to open my PS2, and look at the damage. I really can't afford another PS2.

Oh, and the warranty. Mine was up awhile ago, but I hear for some reason it is still legit, and Sony will fix it. Wich I am not sending it to Sony. I had to wait about a month for them to send me my damn headset back.

MrMeJW
03-03-2004, 11:41 AM
I opened mine up and cleaned the lens with rubbing alcohol on a qtip. There was some hair and shit in there... it was gross. Now it works great. It wasn't that hard to do at all. All I can say is have a big clean table to do it on.

Shaggy
03-03-2004, 05:34 PM
I havnt tried it yet cause I read some things on the net and couldnt figure it out. I recently found an easier guide with pictures to use in a magazine that Im gonna try out. Hopefully it will work. I hated buying games and returning them the next day cause they didnt work.

SuperSlim
03-05-2004, 09:49 AM
man I heard that it is nowhere near safe to open it up and clean it... could easily mess up and wind up not workin

Shaggy
03-05-2004, 02:14 PM
man I heard that it is nowhere near safe to open it up and clean it... could easily mess up and wind up not workin

That is true.... That is why you have to be careful with it.

Mr.Violent J
03-06-2004, 05:29 PM
Call Sony. Depending on the model and serial number they may fix it for free. There are known errors with earlier version of PS2's especially if you watched alot of DVD's with it.

I had 2 PS2's and both broke the same way. It wouldn't read a DVD here or there and then it started to not read some games and then soon after it wouldn't read anything at all.

First time I called sony they wanted $90 each to fix them. I said F that. Then I heard somone got theirs fixed for free by Sony. So I called them again and gave them all my info and they said that I was elligable for a free repair on both systems.

You can find the Number inside the manual for your PS2. If you don't have that I'm sure you can get it off their website somewhere. My only advice is that if you do call don't start out by saying "Yeah I heard you guys were doing free repairs". Just call them up, speak to a tech person and don't give them any extra info then for what they ask for.

DaveWadding
03-06-2004, 05:32 PM
yeah my PS2 gets this fu</>cky whirring noise sometimes...but Best Buy wont honor my warranty and take it back because "it still plays games" :roll: