PDA

View Full Version : They need a fame skill in RPG's.

Ninti the Mad
12-13-2003, 01:27 PM
This skill should be determined and upgraded by completing side quests.

The plus side of this quality would be a much better version of luck.

NPC's would react to you more courteously and treasures found in chests would have a certain percentage amount to get a high quality item.

NPC's would also be more willing to give out important info that may lead to hidden side quests and the like.

Just a thought.

Vega
12-13-2003, 04:19 PM
They have this in Morrowind. NPC's do treat you more courteously, but that's it. No better items or anything.

Silent
12-13-2003, 04:23 PM
I play an MMORPG called Dark Ages that has a similar system to this. After you complete quests in a town, the NPCs will do extra tasks for you, such as tailor special armor for you, or change your hairstyle.

Ninti the Mad
12-13-2003, 04:31 PM
Damnit. :rant:

Vega
12-13-2003, 06:45 PM
speaking of that, morrowind is pritty damn fun, and i'm pritty damn bored....

Silent
12-13-2003, 06:46 PM
You were owned son.

I'm gonna follow you around and ruin all of your ideas now. Payback for humiliating me!

RBM
12-13-2003, 09:11 PM
There's also a fame level in Final Fantasy 11. The more fame you build up, the more quests open up for you to do.

Kane Knight
12-13-2003, 10:18 PM
It should have negative effects too.

Ninti the Mad
12-14-2003, 05:52 AM
I'm not a nerd so I dont play FFXI, SLUT.

Yeah, negative karma side quests.

Hired Hitman
12-15-2003, 05:37 AM
I play an MMORPG called Dark Ages that has a similar system to this. After you complete quests in a town, the NPCs will do extra tasks for you, such as tailor special armor for you, or change your hairstyle.
hahaha changing hairstyles :cool:

Apocolyptik1
12-18-2003, 04:12 AM
FFX1 has the fame, get quests with it. People know your name around town. In NwN the higher level you are the better stuff drops in chests. Sorta like a fame right? Guess not, oh well. I would say something about EQ but I hate that game and want it to give millions of americans their lives back.

Fryza
12-22-2003, 12:57 AM
*bump* :o

Monster Rancher 2 has something like this. When your creature enters a tournament and wins, its fame increase. If you enter a lower level tourny or lose at your level or higher, your fame goes down. The fame affects fans sending your monsters gifts, going on side quests, and other stuff, but it isn't too important really.

Okay, you can all bash this topic back down to the end of the page now :o

Kane Knight
12-22-2003, 01:18 AM
Any fame stat should have a negative aspect, too. People trying to make a name for themselves gunning for you. Some people will be intimidated, even try and get the fu</>ck outta Dodge when you come round.

Solution? Disguises. :D

Or maybe I've just played too many actual RPGs for my own good.

The Star Wars D20 games, for example, have a Reputation stat. Rep can come in two forms: Fame, and Infamy. Each will cause different reactions from different types of people. The more fame/infamy you have, the stronger the reactions, the more likely you can fenagle things out of people (Either through favors or intimidation), or the better a bonus it gives to stats like intimidation, diplomacy, bluff, etc. However, you can also be spotted for the worse, which makes disguising yourself sometimes very useful.

An example right from the SW Universe, think Episode 1 (If it's not too painful). When the two Jedi are pegged as Jedi, it brings shit down all around them like fast.

Rock Bottom
04-03-2004, 02:39 AM
Any D&D game I've played, Morrowind, and the works, all have fame or reputation in some form. And Vega, Morrowind made me grow a damn beard. I still mess with that game now and again. It rocks, but it gets lonely.