PDA

View Full Version : Writing getting better?

Maluco
10-09-2007, 03:19 PM
In the past, I feel like WWE and Vince have always come up with their best writing in stages of desperation, or when they feel hemmed in and under pressure. Obviously the attitude era came out of a spanking in the ratings war. Maybe now after all these injuries and the steroid scandals, this could be just the pressure needed to improve things once again?

No Mercy was not what I expected, but the more I think about it, the more I see the beauty of the writing involved. Orton has been set up as the very top heel and HHH the top babyface and the "best" wrestler on the roster in one night. By building up HHH like they did and having Orton win clean, it portrayed Orton as ruthless and skilled enough to beat HHH. It put a doubt in the fans mind as to who would win in a fair matcg between the two.

Micheal's comig back last night adds a new dynamic and if Orton gets a win over him at Cyber Sunday, he will look like a real star for maybe the first time in his career.

The Highlanders are credible threats, people like Marella, Cody Rhodes, Hardcore Holly etc....all have credible roles on TV, and we have Kennedy, Hardy, Carlito and Umaga ready to step up to provide options in the main event at any time....due in a large part to skillful writing and getting them involved in feuds in the absence of their bigger stars.

How does everyone else feel, agree or disagree?

BigDaddyCool
10-09-2007, 03:54 PM
Writting is getting better. But honestly I don't think it could have gotten any worse. It stepped up, but I want to see if it continues to rise.

Stickman
10-09-2007, 04:06 PM
Raw was boring as usual. Couldn't get to the end to see HBK.

Dorkchop
10-09-2007, 04:19 PM
I'll agree that it has gotten better, but Raw/WWE has had pretty crappy writing for like 6 years now. They have ups and downs. Right now, it looks like they're on one of the tiny ups that lasts for like 2 weeks.

Team Sheep
10-09-2007, 04:42 PM
I thought No Mercy was really cleverly executed under the circumstances. I bet the show would have sucked way more if Cena hadn't been injured.

Fox
10-09-2007, 05:17 PM
The writing hasn't gotten any better if you ask me. The WWE writers are still failing to look long term for their main event scene.

No Mercy was the PERFECT opportunity to elevate some new stars (something they desperately need to be doing right now), using the stripped WWE Championship situation as a springboard.

They could have used a lot of people for that main event match. Jeff Hardy, Carlito, Ken Kennedy, MVP, Kane, or even CM Punk. Either a 1-on-1 match against Orton, a 3-way or 4-way, or a short title tournament would have been a way to get these guys into the World Title picture, and make them look like credible challengers. To make room for a mini-tournament, they could have easily scrapped the Punk vs. BDV ECW Title match and the 6-Man Tag.

But what do they do instead? They use the situation as a springboard to make Triple H look good. The ONE GUY on the entire fucking WWE roster who does not need to look any better than he does from the build-up for the past 7 years of his career. No only that, but they totally shirked yet another young hungry WWE star in Umaga, making him look like a total bitch in his match against HHH.

So, has the writing gotten any better? In my opinion, not at all. John Cena's injury was a true opportunity for the WWE creative staff to make some changes and do things right. Instead, they gave us what we've been seeing for the past 4 years now - more Triple H.

Savio
10-09-2007, 05:27 PM
DON'T WORRY THEY'LL FUCK IT UP

IC Champion
10-09-2007, 05:32 PM
The writing hasn't gotten any better if you ask me. The WWE writers are still failing to look long term for their main event scene.

No Mercy was the PERFECT opportunity to elevate some new stars (something they desperately need to be doing right now), using the stripped WWE Championship situation as a springboard.

They could have used a lot of people for that main event match. Jeff Hardy, Carlito, Ken Kennedy, MVP, Kane, or even CM Punk. Either a 1-on-1 match against Orton, a 3-way or 4-way, or a short title tournament would have been a way to get these guys into the World Title picture, and make them look like credible challengers. To make room for a mini-tournament, they could have easily scrapped the Punk vs. BDV ECW Title match and the 6-Man Tag.

But what do they do instead? They use the situation as a springboard to make Triple H look good. The ONE GUY on the entire fucking WWE roster who does not need to look any better than he does from the build-up for the past 7 years of his career. No only that, but they totally shirked yet another young hungry WWE star in Umaga, making him look like a total bitch in his match against HHH.

So, has the writing gotten any better? In my opinion, not at all. John Cena's injury was a true opportunity for the WWE creative staff to make some changes and do things right. Instead, they gave us what we've been seeing for the past 4 years now - more Triple H.

LOL.

owenbrown
10-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Here is one minor idea....

STOP WRITING BACKSTAGE SEGMENTS THAT ARE ONE BIG LONG RUNNING GAY JOKE!!! THEY ARE OLD AND CHILDISH!!! :rant:

Mercury Bullet
10-09-2007, 08:06 PM
Writing getting better?

No.

Mr. Nerfect
10-09-2007, 10:37 PM
I'll agree that it has gotten better, but Raw/WWE has had pretty crappy writing for like 6 years now. They have ups and downs. Right now, it looks like they're on one of the tiny ups that lasts for like 2 weeks.

I agree. I wouldn't call their "ups" "ups," but rather just bumps where they fail to be as shitty as possible.

owenbrown
10-10-2007, 09:34 AM
DON'T WORRY THEY'LL FUCK IT UP

Too late. :shifty:

Dave Youell
10-10-2007, 10:43 AM
I think the writing is ok, it’s probably better than it has been for a while. Some of the recent angle’s have been done well and got my attention, like the Cena’s Dad thing, and regardless of how dumb the pay off was, the ‘Who’s Vince’s Baby?’ angle got my interest just to see who would get the (now non existent) push.

Vince’s death could have been good, but Benoit ruined all that

Michaels/Cena produced some good matches and a nice feud

The undercard and tag team division is actually getting some direction right now and not just having matches for the sake of it.

Oh and of course the Save_us thing had me more interested in WWE programming than anything of recent months.

I like the writing that gives you a reason to tune in next week to see what happens, it’s Russoesq, but I think that.

Are they getting it right now? Yeah, but like what’s been already said, when you’re this low for so long, anything, regardless of how small is an improvement

BigDaddyCool
10-10-2007, 10:55 AM
I still think the writing could improve and maybe push this entire hornswoogle thing to the back burner or toss it.

Outsider
10-10-2007, 11:11 AM
There may have been one or two good bits, but then there have been some awful bits.

Things like having a reasonably good series of matches which see Tommy Dreamer come out on top, to then have him job to Big Shitty V.

Having Finlay hate Rey for no apparent reason.

Having HHH make Londrick look like jobbers.

What the fuck was Matt Striker doing during the CM Punk/Shitty V match?

Having a midget as cruiserweight champion.

Until they sort out the incredibly retarded things they are doing, we can't say the few good things they are doing is making things better.

Stickman
10-10-2007, 12:19 PM
Dave Youell is onto something. The stories aren't "that" bad but the pay off to them is terrible. I haven't seen a decent ending to a storyline in years. It's like they come up with an idea, figure it has to end by the next ppv which is a ppv that people aren't going to buy like backlash or one of the non Big 4 PPV's. A storyline shouldn't end on Raw or No Mercy. It should end on a big PPV with a legitimate pay off. Oh, and I don't mean storylines like Vince's child, non wrestling feuds can end whenever.

Mr. Nerfect
10-11-2007, 08:13 AM
Yeah, the payoffs do tend to ruin shit. This week on RAW, I actually realised that I was into a lot of the programs.

-William Regal vs. Jonathan Coachman
-Paul London & Brian Kendrick vs. The Highlanders
-Lance Cade & Trevor Murdoch vs. Paul London & Brian Kendrick
-Beth Phoenix vs. Candice Michelle
-Santino Marella vs. Val Venis
-Randy Orton vs. Shawn Michaels

You watch the WWE fuck each of them up, though.