PDA

View Full Version : Should WWE drop the ECW name?

Xero
11-01-2007, 03:49 PM
I've been thinking about this for a while. Let's face it, the ECW name isn't really going to pull any money in anymore as far as the brand goes. I say it's time to just drop the ECW name, give it a generic name and rename the championship.

It's not even about the original ECW's legacy, I just think having an entire brand with a name like a company just doesn't make sense. Unless they renamed SmackDown! WCW and made each a different company it's just a waste of the name.

Thoughts?

GD
11-01-2007, 03:54 PM
IMO They should unify the Smackdown! and ECW rosters. This just in, Brooke released but her profile is still available on the superstars section.

Xero
11-01-2007, 03:57 PM
That's true actually. Just combine the two (officially), rename the show and make the ECW title the TV title (or just merge it with the WHC).

Kane Knight
11-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Rename it, don't, doesn't matter. No-one'll notice.

The One
11-01-2007, 03:59 PM
That's true actually. Just combine the two (officially), rename the show and make the ECW title the TV title (or just merge it with the WHC).

Uh...there isn't an active ECW Title and there has never been a EWWE owned World Heavyweight Championship...

The One
11-01-2007, 04:01 PM
Rename it, don't, doesn't matter. No-one'll notice.

At this point you could rename the entire industry and it's a good bet only the people here and at Rajah would know about it...

GD
11-01-2007, 04:02 PM
The current ECW roster consists of 20 superstars.
3 divas: Layla, Kelly Kelly and Brooke.(released)
Commentators: Tazz and Styles.
General Manager: Armando.
Ring Announcer: Tony Chimel.
13 in-ring performers: C.M.Punk, Miz, BDV, Boogeyman, Balls, Matt Striker, Knox, Elija Burke, Kevin Thorn, Stevie Richards, Nunzio, Dreamer and Morisson.

Xero
11-01-2007, 04:02 PM
If they renamed TNA "MMA" and added a cage to every match the MMA marks wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

The One
11-01-2007, 04:04 PM
If they renamed TNA "MMA" and added a cage to every match the MMA marks wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Lockdown...

Xero
11-01-2007, 04:05 PM
Exactly, but every match at every event would be a cage match.

Anybody Thrilla
11-01-2007, 04:21 PM
I think it's fine as it is.

Kane Knight
11-01-2007, 04:37 PM
At this point you could rename the entire industry and it's a good bet only the people here and at Rajah would know about it...

Even then, half of us wouldn't know until someone bitch about it.

Chavo Classic
11-03-2007, 06:06 PM
You need to realise that ECW is the brand name.

It's not Eastern/Extreme Championship Wrestling and hasn't been since ONS 1.

Juan
11-03-2007, 07:02 PM
No.

Xero
11-03-2007, 07:03 PM

It has to stand for something.

Kane Knight
11-03-2007, 07:46 PM

But if they made Cena the GM and called it "East Coast Wrestling," He could continue his thug/wigger shtick and still dominate the card.

SPOILERS: CENA WINS.

jindrak
11-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Short answer, yes.

Outsider
11-04-2007, 07:00 PM
No, they should do something semi-intellegent for a change. They should realise that a brand should be something more than just another show and actually develop ECW into something that could attract all the wrestling fans who have deserted the company over the years by turning it into a different, more adult product.

JT
11-04-2007, 07:48 PM
No, they should do something semi-intellegent for a change. They should realise that a brand should be something more than just another show and actually develop ECW into something that could attract all the wrestling fans who have deserted the company over the years by turning it into a different, more adult product.

Correction: They should have. ECW should have been to WWE as Miramax is to Disney. A seperate company where they could expand upon their audience while not interfering with the image or direction of the main company. However, I feel that time has passed. ECW is basically a developmental federation with a television deal which will be absored into Smackdown when SciFi finally decided to bring down the axe.

At this point no one cares about the show, and after the quick end to the last great storyline the fed had, I think we realize this is as good as it was going to get.

Outsider
11-04-2007, 08:13 PM
Well maybe. I personally think it could be saved by putting someone like Foley as GM and having him slate the 'new' ECW, announcing that all matches would now be under extreme rules and 'firing' a couple of current stars who wouldn't fit in and bringing in a few development stars and a few from RAW and Smackdown.

But that would involve admitting there was a problem, which isn't really the WWE style.

Kane Knight
11-04-2007, 10:17 PM
That would involve more than admitting there was a problem, it would involve admitting to the problem, a desire to fix it, and an interest in appeasing the fans.

Mr. Nerfect
11-05-2007, 01:25 AM
Well maybe. I personally think it could be saved by putting someone like Foley as GM and having him slate the 'new' ECW, announcing that all matches would now be under extreme rules and 'firing' a couple of current stars who wouldn't fit in and bringing in a few development stars and a few from RAW and Smackdown.

But that would involve admitting there was a problem, which isn't really the WWE style.

That would be a great way to fix things. Mick Foley as ECW General Manager is definitely the way to go. Have Estrada rename ECW "Estrada Championship Wrestling" for a while, which is how they boot the Hardcore Dictator out (he can go back to managing, while training to wrestle), and Foley can take over. He thinks that CM Punk needs to prove himself further as ECW Champion, and at WrestleMania, ECW's title match is CM Punk defending against Mick Foley in an Extreme Rules Match.

Foley would be fine with putting Punk over, and the match would be a lot of fun.