PDA

View Full Version : Can TNA be a legitimate contender?

Nark Order
11-02-2007, 02:30 PM
So... we've seen in the past year or two TNA pick up some really solid talent. Most notabley: Angle, Christian, Somo Joe, Sting, and if rumors are true... Booker T. And while they are picking up a little steam, ot definitely isn't the kind of head start one would expect with such an elite cast of wrestlers. So Booker T might be coming in and most likely a couple big stars after him in the next couple years. But, no matter who they pick up. No matter how many stars they get, will they really be able to be an actual contender to the WWE? And if they actually do start taking steps in the right direction like start to tour the states, will the guys that love their light schedules pick up and hit the road?

Who or what would make TNA a legitimate rival to the World Wrestling Entertainment empire?

JT
11-02-2007, 02:32 PM
I only read the title...no.

hb2k
11-02-2007, 02:36 PM
They can't with the current writing team. It's possible in the current wrestling landscape, but it's not easy because it has no casual buzz at all and there is so much WWE content oversaturating things that TNA needs to be at a different level of to be a success. And not the different level of shititude they are currently on.

JT
11-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Okay, now I read the post...and still say no. Sure, they got the talent and the tv time, but they lack plot, sense, and entertainment. If they actually tried on improving their show and building up stars and storylines instead of constantly bringing in new people and throwing out shitty matches every week, maybe. Even ECW reached a high level of success with reletively few stars, no tv time, and budget. They did it on entertaining shows and giving their audience what they want.

So no...if they improved the overall quality of their shows and build on stuff people would actually want to see, I'd say they have a shot. As of right now though, they're only in competition with ECW and that's because WWE doesn't even bother to try with ECW...what are they, 2 feuds now and no wrestlers.

BigDaddyCool
11-02-2007, 02:42 PM
Can they? Yes, anything is possible.

Will they? Probably not.

Why is WWE the only wrestling company worth a damn? A: Vince McMahon. For better or worse the buck stopped with him. That is why WCW is dead. Also for better or worse McMahon is a great business man, which is why ECW is dead. From what I understand, TNA doesn't have a single head person that knows what they are doing. There is Dixie Carter, the Jarretts and a handful of wrestlers that are pulling in different directions. That is why it will never be anything more than where it is.

Kane Knight
11-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Can they? Yeah, I'm a firm believer that anyone with the talent and monetary backing TNA has coule be huge.

Will they? Not as long as they have a "front office" that runs shit the way it's been run.

I don't care who's writing: Jarrett, Russo, or Dixie Carter herself. The writing sucks, the angles usually make less sense than your average Japanese TV show, and everyone comes off as petty WWE haters. In the face of that, they could be putting on 5* matches every night, and still never be remotely close to WWE's rival.

Basically, it's TNA's shot to blow, and they're blowing it.

And the only reason WWE's as close in ratings as they are is the fact that it's their fight to lose, and right now, they're doing their best to lose it themselves.

If Vince could kick his ass into gear, I seriously have no problem believing wrestling could be in the 5.Xes right now. And TNA might pick some of that up as trickle down, but the fact is, they'll never get an autonomous following as is. Just like with their roster, they';re picking WWE's remains up in fandom.

Mooияakeя™
11-02-2007, 03:44 PM
I do believe if one raises their game, only we will benefit as fans. But right now, it seems all just too fucking average for anyone to give a fuck and step up a gear.

Kane Knight
11-02-2007, 05:36 PM
And if they both raised their game, more the better.

The problem being that WWE wants a monopoly, and has done a lot of damage there, and TNA has no real passion.

The One
11-02-2007, 06:31 PM
There roster alone makes it possible to be come a contender. Honestly, I can't think of a time in history when there was such an incredible roster to work with...and yet TNA fucks it up time after time after time. I swear, you could hand the promotion over to Noid and besides the forced Bashams Co-World Title run, it would probably be better than what they dish out.

What really gets to me is the roster. I can't believe how incredible a mix they have between talent, name draws, and legit legendary workers...and yet...nothing. TNA (IMO) has a better talent pool than all three brands of WWE combined...

BigDaddyCool
11-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Yeah, I have said it time and time again. TNA has all the in ring talent they need to get over. But for some reason every week they hire some new ex-wwe/wcw jerk off.

Kane Knight
11-02-2007, 09:40 PM
And if it were just one or two once in a while, it wouldn't be a problem.

BigDaddyCool
11-02-2007, 09:44 PM
I would like to point to this thread again --> http://tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69756

Mercury Bullet
11-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Both WWE and TNA are trying to out-suck each other...and whichever one quits sucking first will be the winner.

The One
11-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Both WWE and TNA are trying to out-suck each other...and whichever one quits sucking first will be the winner.

Wait, you mean it's possible not to suck? Well why hasn't anyone told the industry?

BigDaddyCool
11-02-2007, 09:52 PM
ECW tried to, but then they went bankrupt in a move that still confuses me. How can a jew be so awful with money?

The One
11-02-2007, 09:58 PM
All of Heyman's "Money-Jew" genes where over run with his "Closet-Homo-Creative" genes.

JT
11-02-2007, 10:08 PM
ECW tried to, but then they went bankrupt in a move that still confuses me. How can a jew be so awful with money?

EDIT: Nevermind...that joke sounded funnier in my head

JT
11-02-2007, 10:11 PM
Though I did love Jericho's story about Paul saving money with the grevance plane tickets. Then when Jericho complained, Paul took out a doctor's offical medical pad and wrote him a note to use for next time.

Heyman
11-03-2007, 12:20 AM
Can they? Yeah, I'm a firm believer that anyone with the talent and monetary backing TNA has coule be huge.

Will they? Not as long as they have a "front office" that runs shit the way it's been run.

I don't care who's writing: Jarrett, Russo, or Dixie Carter herself. The writing sucks, the angles usually make less sense than your average Japanese TV show, and everyone comes off as petty WWE haters. In the face of that, they could be putting on 5* matches every night, and still never be remotely close to WWE's rival.

Basically, it's TNA's shot to blow, and they're blowing it.

And the only reason WWE's as close in ratings as they are is the fact that it's their fight to lose, and right now, they're doing their best to lose it themselves.

If Vince could kick his ass into gear, I seriously have no problem believing wrestling could be in the 5.Xes right now. And TNA might pick some of that up as trickle down, but the fact is, they'll never get an autonomous following as is. Just like with their roster, they';re picking WWE's remains up in fandom.

This post pretty much sums up how I feel.

Mr. Nerfect
11-03-2007, 12:31 AM
TNA could become a legitimate contender to the WWE, but as people have said, they are their own worst enemy. It doesn't matter who is writing, it is shit, and the defence "Russo didn't actually write it!" doesn't change anything.

I honestly don't care about TNA picking up old WWE/WCW talent. Scott Steiner has been fantastic with his promos ("We're going to beat your fat asses, and all you'll be able to do is run, but you can't, because you have fat asses!"), but they do this nonsensical shit like having Team 3D beat the crap out of every X-Division guy they have. That division pretty much got TNA to where it is. At Genesis, The Motor City Machine Guns better defeat Team 3D cleanly, and the stipulation of the match being that Team 3D then has to compete in a Handicap Match against the entire X-Division, and they need to go no offence in, and get pinned by Shark Boy and Sonjay Dutt at the same time, while Chris Sabin and Alex Shelley laugh. That is the only way any good will come from this angle, and it's a long shot at that.

At Genesis, Christian Cage is facing Kazarian in a Ladder Match, and I'm actually excited for it. That's how ex-WWE/WCW talent should be used. No doubt this will be Frankie's "coming out party," and he can get some momentum from this. Of course, TNA will fuck it up.

Anyway, long story short, the writing is shit. It needs to change.

Mercury Bullet
11-03-2007, 12:36 AM
but they do this nonsensical shit like having Team 3D beat the crap out of every X-Division guy they have. That division pretty much got TNA to where it is.

Stop right there.

BigDaddyCool
11-03-2007, 11:11 AM
I didn't read alienoid post. I assume he reasoned the Bashams need to hold on the gold for TNA for them to get over.

Kane Knight
11-03-2007, 12:00 PM
BDC, andyone else, you should really read that post. It was fucking hilarious. Team 3-D losing to Dutt and Sharkboy being a good idea? He has to be doing this intentionally. Even Destor and ToVo aren't that full of shit.

Kane Knight
11-03-2007, 12:01 PM
And they're not real people.

BigDaddyCool
11-03-2007, 12:02 PM
Wow, it would have been better if he just said get the titles on the Bashams.

Kane Knight
11-03-2007, 12:11 PM
It would have been far less stupid, yeah.

But in terms of sheer comedy? This one wins out.

BigDaddyCool
11-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Is noid even a real person?

DAMN iNATOR
11-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Nah, just some dude that annoys Adam West by stomping on his pizzas...:shifty:

Kane Knight
11-03-2007, 12:26 PM
Is noid even a real person?

It's possible, but with so many who aren't, I'm trying to give some benefit of doubt.

Mr. Nerfect
11-05-2007, 01:56 AM
BDC, andyone else, you should really read that post. It was fucking hilarious. Team 3-D losing to Dutt and Sharkboy being a good idea? He has to be doing this intentionally. Even Destor and ToVo aren't that full of shit.

It's honestly the only way to save any kind of credibility the division has. You don't need to put Sonjay Dutt and Shark Boy over, granted, but Team 3D's war agains the X-Division has been so fucking stupid. TNA would be best served to give homegrown talent a win over them.

Kane Knight
11-05-2007, 09:36 AM
Which would counteract the intention of the push, make the company look bad, but at least Shark Boy would get a push.

...Even though he's clearly not the "home grown" talent that should get a rub offa such a thing.

Mr. Nerfect
11-06-2007, 03:12 AM
Which would counteract the intention of the push, make the company look bad, but at least Shark Boy would get a push.

...Even though he's clearly not the "home grown" talent that should get a rub offa such a thing.

What the fuck are you talking about? Do you honestly think Team 3D should be going over younger, fresher teams like The Motor City Machine Guns? You better not be one of those guys who complains or makes jokes every time TNA brings in someone from WWE or WCW.

The whole point of having Shark Boy getting some heat back on Team 3D wouldn't be to push him, moron. What it would be intended to do is say "Hey look, the bad guys got their comeuppance in the end, and moral justice has been served." You don't need to use Shark Boy, but while Alex Shelley & Chris Sabin should go over Team 3D at Genesis (and go over strongly), you still have guys like Sonjay Dutt and Petey Williams who are yet to get revenge. The beat-down on Team 3D this Impact! was pretty good, and what I was going for. Reversing the damage done by one of TNA's more shitty ideas.

The guys getting the "push" from this, should be Chris Sabin & Alex Shelley, but that doesn't mean you just damn everyone else to Hell. That's such a WWE move. I'd go as far as to say that at this stage of their career, Team 3D should be in no way, shape or form be getting a push over the younger TNA guys. Hurt their push all you want.

Impeccable
11-06-2007, 09:01 AM
Four...sided...ring

'Nuff said!

Kane Knight
11-06-2007, 09:07 AM
What the fuck are you talking about? Do you honestly think Team 3D should be going over younger, fresher teams like The Motor City Machine Guns?

Actually, my last post in this thread should have told you that was not that case.

But hey, drum up a long, convoluted rant about your intentions. You've already been ridicules, and nobody's gonna read your inane little rant about what Shark Boy winning signifies to the wrestling community. You're about as in touch with that as I am with your average Amish folk's desires.

Actually, that sums up why everything you write is utter shite.

Heyman
11-06-2007, 10:18 AM
Actually, my last post in this thread should have told you that was not that case.

But hey, drum up a long, convoluted rant about your intentions. You've already been ridicules, and nobody's gonna read your inane little rant about what Shark Boy winning signifies to the wrestling community. You're about as in touch with that as I am with your average Amish folk's desires.

Actually, that sums up why everything you write is utter shite.

Hey KK,

Why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel about Alienoid? ;)

Kane Knight
11-06-2007, 10:42 AM
I know. I should really speak my mind more often.