PDA

View Full Version : Shenmue

thecc
11-22-2007, 08:21 PM
Lately I was playing the first one for Dreamcast and just beat it today. This game still amazes me. Gonna pick up the second one for Xbox, since its only $5 at EB games. Was anyone else into into these games?

Blitz
11-22-2007, 08:26 PM
I liked the first one. I too need to pick up the sequel.

PS Avatar/Sig :heart:

Mr Regal
11-22-2007, 10:42 PM
Loved the first one...who would have thought working the docks could have been so much fun?

Never played the second one and i don't have an x box anymore :'(

thecc
11-22-2007, 11:04 PM
I think I might DL the torrent for Dreamcast since there are english subtitles and all your belongings from the first game are carried over. If it doesn't work, thankfully Shenmue II is backwards compatible on the 360.

ClockShot
11-23-2007, 08:38 AM
Rented the second one and fell in love with it. So I had to have it.

Fans all around the world eagerly await the third.

Mr Regal
11-23-2007, 09:46 AM
Holy fuck...I still have a dreamcast and shenmue :love:

thecc
11-23-2007, 12:33 PM
Holy fuck...I still have a dreamcast and shenmue :love:If you use torrents at all www.underground-gamer.com has a download for Shenmue II on the dreamcast and it is for the Pal format I believe.

Mr Regal
11-23-2007, 12:41 PM
Yeah, I would have no clue as to how to make that work though.

Mr Regal
11-23-2007, 02:00 PM
Downloading it anyway :lol: is alcohol the best program to use to burn the game onto dvd/cd?

thecc
11-23-2007, 02:11 PM
Downloading it anyway :lol: is alcohol the best program to use to burn the game onto dvd/cd?Yeah, then just burn it at a slow speed.

Indifferent Clox
11-24-2007, 04:03 PM
I love Shenmue
I named my cat ryo

Indifferent Clox
11-24-2007, 04:03 PM
and the other is ness after earthbound...

Shaggy
11-24-2007, 06:38 PM
I never beat the first one. I remember playing it nonstop for a couple of days during any of my free time. I got to the second disk and then my little brother erased my game. Never had what it took to go back through it again.

Maybe after xmas is over and I get some time off I might bring out the old dreamcast...

Crazy Nick
12-09-2007, 02:20 AM
Shenmue is by far my most favorite game. I really enjoyed both of them. It's pretty sad that they haven't made a third one yet.

Funky Fly
12-09-2007, 02:37 AM
Would it be possible to pick up a Dreamcast and Shenmue at a reasonable price?

Vietnamese Crippler
12-09-2007, 02:58 AM
I think Dreamcasts go for an average of $30 and you could probably find Shenmue for $5 :o

Funky Fly
12-09-2007, 03:02 AM
Niceeeeeeee

I think I'll wait till I get home and then eBay that shit.

Vietnamese Crippler
12-09-2007, 03:11 AM
That's where I got my estimates from :p

thecc
12-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Niceeeeeeee

I think I'll wait till I get home and then eBay that shit.You can most likely also download Shenmue for free, as most dreamcasts don't need to be modded in order to play backups.

Funky Fly
12-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Sexy. Now I'll just need a torrent.

Gray
12-10-2007, 05:27 AM
I got a Dreamcast originally just for Shenmue. I absolutely loved that game. By the time i completed it [ I couldnt get off it] my thumbs were red-raw. Thinking about it, i would probably rate Shenmue as being the best game i have ever played/enjoyed the most. It had everything.

Even when you got bored [Was that possible??] you could go back and play in the Arcade on some Retro games. After i completed it i couldnt wait for #2, sadly though it took many years for it to arrive.

The QuickTimeEvent sequence in Shenmue still looks to be in use to this day, while i dont play many console-games nowadays, i did recently complete Legends of Tomb Raider which still incorporated that into the game.

When ShemueII arrived, i cant remember if i already had an Xbox at that point, but i probably went out and bought one primarily for Shemue-purposes, sadly, the game did not live up to the high expectations i had set out for it, after the brilliance of the original [Going back to "The original is always best"]

I recall hearing it was meant to have been a three-parter, where the third and final game was to bring up face to face with the boss - I think this game has since been scrapped though, havent heard anything of it :(

D Mac
12-10-2007, 12:13 PM
http://www.tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?t=67282

via Wired Blogs

Some fairly depressing rumors are declaring that Shenmue is all but dead and buried. As recently as last year, series creator Yu Suzuki confirmed the development of Shenmue Online, but legal issues between Sega and developer JC Entertainment stalled the game's development.

A post over at Shenmue Dojo, which quotes an email from Kikizo's Adam Doree, bodes ill for the future of both Shenmue Online and Shenmue 3:

"As for Shenmue, I would have to say at this stage, it is worth forgetting about. If all the fans get any rich relatives together and channel it though Dojo perhaps we could buy rights, hire Suzuki (he'd likely say yes) and independently make the game under license from Sega at no risk to them. That is the only way it will get made at this stage I think."

If that's not quite declarative enough for you, Doree also says "Shenmue Online is f***ed and Suzuki's status is, once again, up in the air, which counts Shenmue III totally out of the picture right now. This is confirmed, it seems."

While we can hope that Doree has no clue what he's talking about, it's sadly more likely that he's absolutely correct. We'll probably never see the conclusion of Ryo Hazuki's story, or see the comeuppance of the evil Lan Di. Sigh.

Mr Regal
12-10-2007, 03:08 PM
Thinking back, I was actually disappointed with Shenmue.

I got it for christmas and finished it a couple of days later, I thought it would be longer and bigger than it was......oddly enough i hear the same thing from disappointed girls on a regular basis, and not about Shenmue :'(