PDA

View Full Version : The Golden Compass

ClockShot
11-23-2007, 11:35 AM
Let's get right down to it.

Comes out in a few weeks. Pretty good cast in this with big names like Nicole Kidman, Daniel Craig, Ian McKellen, Eva Green, Chris Lee makes an appearance, newcomer Dakota Blue Richards, and SAM ELLIOTT!

Who's going?

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808718640/info

Jura
11-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Eva Green is delicious. That is all.

BigDaddyCool
11-23-2007, 10:28 PM
I'm not. But I heard from my girlfriend's bapist parents that it has something to do with converting people to athiesm or something. Anyone hear anything about that? Or is it just because it is another lord of the rings/harry potter/narnia style movie?

Also, when movies like that have big names they don't do as well.

Skippord
11-23-2007, 11:29 PM
Eva Green is fizine

El Capitano Gatisto
11-25-2007, 10:37 AM
I'm not. But I heard from my girlfriend's bapist parents that it has something to do with converting people to athiesm or something. Anyone hear anything about that? Or is it just because it is another lord of the rings/harry potter/narnia style movie?

Also, when movies like that have big names they don't do as well.

The books are much, much better than Harry Potter. The comparison is rather lazy, they're completely different subject matter.

Same with Lord of the Rings and Narnia. The Dark Materials Trilogy are kid's books with broader concepts regarding good and evil.

I'll definitely be going to see this when it comes out.

Kris P Lettus
11-25-2007, 10:39 AM
ECG, have you read the books and if so, would you recommend them??

El Capitano Gatisto
11-25-2007, 10:44 AM
I have read the books and I would highly recommend them. The anti-Christianity thing is pretty overt by the end but it's done stunningly well.

ClockShot
12-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Hmmmm. Critics have mixed reviews on this. Gonna try to catch the earliest show possible so I don't have to be stuck in a theatre full of kids.

El Capitano Gatisto
12-07-2007, 04:11 PM
It could have been much better. I think there's an extended edit to come out of this because some scenes have been chopped out. I don't see why they couldn't have put another 45 mins to an hour on this and filled the story and the world out a bit more. I got what was going on ok but I'd say only because I've read the books. Some concepts weren't put across as strongly as they should be in the overall story.

The original book ending of this part would have set the story up better too.

loopydate
12-08-2007, 12:37 AM
They butchered the ending. Absolutely slaughtered it. The book has one of the best cliffhangers I've ever read, and they cut it away like they were Gobblers or something.

GAH!

El Capitano Gatisto
12-08-2007, 08:58 AM
I was astonished that it ended the way it did. I suppose the commercial impulse was not to let it end on a relative downer.

God knows what they'll do to the final ending. They better not fuck around with it.

OssMan
12-08-2007, 11:16 AM
i'm reading the book right now not cause the movie is coming out, awesome awesome book, trailers trying to ruin my imagination :(

Blitz
12-11-2007, 09:55 PM
Pretty good. Yeah haven't read the books so dunno about the original ending, but the movie one was way lackluster. Read that the original ending is going to be the beginning of the next film.

Also I could spend the rest of my life watching Eva Green and die a happy man.

Outsider
12-21-2007, 07:34 PM
Yeah was suprised by the ending.

Could have been so much better as usual but not a bad version.

Nicole Kidman is perfect as Mrs Coulter though. Just how I'd pictured her. Daniel Craig is a great choice for Azriel as well.

PapaGeorgio
12-22-2007, 01:54 AM
Saw it for free as friend got some free tickets. Was pretty rofl in my books. OH NO DUST! Also the Polar Bears should have been drinking Coca-Cola.