PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Hardcore Championship

JT
12-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Just felt like starting a discussion on the former WWF Hardcore Championship and what others thought of it.

I honestly liked the title and saw real potential in it before the 24/7 rule came into effect. Feel it could have truely been a legitimate title if they never when in the 24/7 direction. I mean you had some old ECW guys coming in, it was up there ally, and a straight foward one-on-one matches for the belt may have helped some careers in the company for them and others who could fit with the Hardcore style.

DAMN iNATOR
12-03-2007, 05:55 PM
Just felt like starting a discussion on the former WWF Hardcore Championship and what others thought of it.

I honestly liked the title and saw real potential in it before the 24/7 rule came into effect. Feel it could have truely been a legitimate title if they never when in the 24/7 direction. I mean you had some old ECW guys coming in, it was up there ally, and a straight foward one-on-one matches for the belt may have helped some careers in the company for them and others who could fit with the Hardcore style.

It would be nice if WWECW had more than just one title, but I doubt it would drive ratings much higher if they did. Personally I would add the HC title, the ECW TV title, and put *maybe* ECW Tag belts as well, once the ECW roster actually grew to a decent size.

Stickman
12-03-2007, 06:04 PM
I liked it before the 24/7 rule. It was somewhat legitimate before that rule. But even with the rule it was fun and added some variety to the programing. It would be nice now as Raw is pretty dull. A gimmack match like that here and there would be great.

FourFifty
12-03-2007, 06:16 PM
The Hardcore title 24/7 was the goods. It went from comedy acts like Crash Holly to living legends like The Undertaker, to "This man is the future of the industry" like Maven. Just mix it up with legit matches, backstage skits, have it hange and change back between house shows, it can jump shows no problem, be forgotten about for a little while with ease if they need to back up, and then bring it back no prob. It was great!

interforce
12-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Hardcore championship FTW.

I can see this coming back soon anyway to be honest. Once the roster gets bigger i am sure we will see more hardcore matches. *crosses fingers*

thedamndest
12-04-2007, 09:28 AM
There are already too many titles that don't get defended on a regular enough basis (see: both tag belts, IC, US, cruiserweight).

Granted the 24/7 rule would allow the "title matches" to be brief and mainly for comedic purposes, so I dunno. Isn't Edge the co-Hardcore champ with Mick Foley?

Theo Dious
12-04-2007, 11:59 AM
I enjoyed the 24/7 concept, but it was never used to its full potential. Personally, I always thought that, after the Crash Holly comedy skits were over, it should have become the "start-end" rule, meaning that as soon as the show began, the title was up for grabs, and as soon as the show ended, it was safe. It could have made for more and better random moments and could literally have started feuds out of nothing. It could also have been a good way to introduce guys who weren't necessarily the best ring workers but could stage a good backstage fight. Plus the segments could have been entirely pretaped, so botches could be covered up nicely.

Chavo Classic
12-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Stop living in the past. For every good hardcore match (e.g. Rhino vs Raven at Backlash, Holly vs Al Snow at St Valentine's Day Massacre) there were several awful ones. It served it's purpose, and it's done. Everyone who has posted in support here are as backwards as the bookers who thought Kennedy's promo on Raw last night was original and just hil-arrrr-ious.

It's best to save Hardcore/Streetfights for special occassions, such as the climax of feuds.

Fox
12-04-2007, 02:32 PM
Rob Van Dam proved that the WWF/E Hardcore Championship can be a great thing. His matches were always the best on the show, and it wasn't just chair and garbage can shots for 10 minutes (such as the 24/7 rule deteriorated the belt into), they were excellent ECW-style matches.

They just have to respect the title and its competitors and not make a big joke out of it (i.e. referees trying to pin Crash Holly while he's sleeping to take the belt, Molly Holly winning the belt, etc). But they did the same thing with the Cruiserweight Title and now it's gone too.

I'm convinced that WWE doesn't understand the concept of respect for a belt, even if it is a belt in a false competitive world. Look how they designed the fucking WWE Title for God's sake.

Chavo Classic
12-04-2007, 02:43 PM
...while we're at it, bring back the WCW Cruiserweight Tag titles.

Fox
12-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Yeah, then Miz and Morrison can have two Tag Titles.

Jeritron
12-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Yea lets just bring back titles. Lets get into the double digits.

My plan for 2008 is to have so many titles, that the desired spot is to be a wrestler without a belt. Losers get awarded a belt, and it's like a game of tag or hot potato.

Whoever in the promotion doesn't have a strap is champion.

Chavo Classic
12-04-2007, 02:50 PM
Yea lets just bring back titles. Lets get into the double digits.

My plan for 2008 is to have so many titles, that the desired spot is to be a wrestler without a belt. Losers get awarded a belt, and it's like a game of tag or hot potato.

Whoever in the promotion doesn't have a strap is champion.

Yeh, they can have a match where belts are in briefcases and there's a bunch of wrestlers who have to fight for each briefca..... oh.

Disturbed316
12-05-2007, 10:40 AM
Crash made that title.

Outsider
12-05-2007, 11:00 AM
I always saw it as a joke of a title. Never enjoyed the matches as there was very little wrestling, just people twatting each other with weapons made of foil for 10 minutes and wrestling in the back is in general incredibly boring.

The ECW title should, however, always be contested under ECW rules.

Theo Dious
12-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Remember before Survivor Series 01 when Foley said "if you don't have a title there's something seriously wrong with you?"

Yeah, it's nearly at that point. No more titles without a serious restructuring/consolidation first.

El Fangel
12-05-2007, 04:48 PM
This was, and still remains my favorite title.

Savio
12-05-2007, 04:55 PM
Undertaker was probably the best hardcore champion of all time.

El Fangel
12-05-2007, 04:56 PM
Steve fucking Blackman.

thedamndest
12-05-2007, 05:13 PM
There was a point when they were using the Hardcore belt to get newer guys over and referred to whomever had it that week as "the most dominant hardcore champion of all time." Glory days.