PDA

View Full Version : Bryan Danielson Vs CIMA from PWG, May 2007

What Would Kevin Do?
12-06-2007, 07:18 AM
You know, I really enjoyed this match, and I can't wait for the rematch in Jan. Going in I was a bit skeptical, because while I love both Danielson and CIMA, I didn't picture there styles mixing well. That's mainly do to the fact that I've been oversaturated with seeing CIMA in Dragongate tag matches, that while they're entertaining, they are also extremely spotty.

CIMA, to his credit, plays his part amazing in this match, and breaks out some great ground wrestling and holds. In the match, it's obvious he's outclassed going hold for hold, and he plays the underdog well. Danielson is relentless, and while he's not everyone's taste, I personally love watching how he goes from hold to hold. Say what you want about him, but I don't think anyone can deny that his actual wrestling ability is amazing.

Anywho, here's the match. Watch it, post your thoughts, etc. I might be posting more of these, although 95% of the people here won't care, because I'm going through matches I have downloaded, and it's mainly puroresu based.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/g6t9l3

Super V
12-06-2007, 09:09 AM
Yeah this match was great even though I'm sure some people took issue with the finish. The thing I think that hurts Bryan Danielson the most though is that his matches seem to always go past 30 minutes and his style makes the matches seem even longer. If he turned it down a notch he wouldn't seem so fucking boring all the time. :rant:

What Would Kevin Do?
12-06-2007, 09:32 AM
Most of Danielson's matches aren't that long actually. A normal Danielson match is usually between 20-30 minutes. He did have that string of hour matches in 06 that didn't help is perception though. Unfortunately, his style does seem to make it longer, and his style doesn't really fit into shorter matches. A ten minute Danielson match is hard to do since his offense is so submission based. A lot of his non-submission based moves are elbows, slaps, a few kicks, suplexes (several of which pin), and pins. I think if Danielson incorporated more moves into his offense that aren't pinning/submissions, and aren't blatant signature moves (Superplex/superbackdrop, diving headbutt, roaring elbow, ala moves he does nearly every match), people would like him more. He'd have to keep the moves diverse though, to keep from getting stale.

Also, it really does depend on who he's fighting too. His matches with Morishima are great, as are his ones with Nigel. I've never been a big fan of his matches with Roderick Strong (who for the most part I find really boring, outside of certain matches), but his matches with Aries are generally pretty good.

In the end though, Danielson's offensive style of stretching isn't big with everyone, and it's easy to see why. Personally, I've grown to love the way he transitions into certain moves though ( like on the first ppv when he countered the GTS by catching the knee, sliding through the legs, nailing a tiger suplex, and then rolling it into the cattle mutilation.)

On a totally different note, I think what makes this match even better for me though is actually watching CIMA wrestle a different style then he normally does to an extent. I don't think refreshing is the word I'm looking for, but it's close.

What Would Kevin Do?
12-06-2007, 09:35 AM
You know, I'll probably never see it, but I think CIMA Vs Morishima would be great. Then again, there's a lot of people I'd love to see Morishima against, mainly because he has that "talented big man/monster" feel, not horribly different than Vader. While you have people like Mark Henry, Viscera, Abyss, and to some extent maybe Kane, none of them have same feel.

Fignuts
12-06-2007, 09:42 AM
I've always noticed that CIMA is a master of more subtle, but genius manuevers. Like for instance, In his ROH match against A.J., Styles went for his springboard moonsault reverse ddt thing. When styles dropped the ddt, cima didn't go to the ground with him. Thought he botched it at first, but then he smiles, looking at his hand wich is firmly grasping the top rope. Little stuff like that is what makes him awesome to me.

What Would Kevin Do?
12-06-2007, 09:53 AM
CIMA is absolutely amazing. I don't know how well it came off on DVD, but at the first ROH weekend mania show, the 8 man with DG and ROH, his interactions with Delirious were the greatest thing I've ever seen. The facial expressions, the "conversations", and how when CIMA was yelling at him from the apron, he crotched himself and played it up. CIMA just has "IT" he's one of those guys who can transcend the language barrier and just come off as lovable or someone you want to hate so easily.

Super V
12-06-2007, 10:13 AM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N5szbNn6_cQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N5szbNn6_cQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

LOL @ Hollywood Stalker btw.

What Would Kevin Do?
12-06-2007, 10:30 AM
CIMA Vs Danielson II

60 minute draw.