PDA

View Full Version : What is it about Austin?

The One
12-11-2007, 01:06 PM
He's old, out of shape, he's a shell of his former self, and yet I mark every damn time he shows up. There isn't a single other retired guy who comes back and I don't think to myself "Way to ruin a part of your legacy for an extra 5 minutes asshole." But with Austin, I mean I know it's going to be shallow, he'll do a little promo, stunner someone and drink beer, and yet I don't ever seem to grow tired of that.

What is it about Austin that continues to make him so welcomed on my TV long after he's been done?

Nark Order
12-11-2007, 01:11 PM
Well, to an extent. It's really starting to get old for me now. I can see why people still mark for him though. When we were growing up, Austin is the one that did things that we always wanted to do but never had the balls to. People wanted to believe that a guy could do all those things that we had been dreamin to do all of our lives and get away with it.

Who hasn't wanted to kick the holy hell out of their boss?

Kane Knight
12-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Austin is the icon of an era.

Jeritron
12-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Because that is his legacy. Showing up and raising hell.

I mean, maybe it's the fact that he's always got a shaved head and wearing full clothing, but he doesn't show much age.
He also still fits in as one of the guys. Maybe it's from knowledge, but it's just not right seeing Hogan in the ring with anyone who was born after 1965.
Austin seems right at home next to the young guys. I think it's a lot of personality and his true self coming across on tv.
It also helps that he doesn't show up and wrestle shitty matches.

He's still himself, he's still just as funny and entertaining and theres a timeless quality to him. A tough guy redneck who drinks beer and likes to beat people up and talk shit isn't going anywhere. He's a tshirt and jeans kinda guy. Hogan lives off of nostalgia and people like that he's cheesy with the bad tan, bandanna and lame 80s music and colorful gig. Total cheese.
Austin is still relevant.

Mr Regal
12-11-2007, 02:09 PM
I kinda like him, but he is so predictable and boring when he shows up.

Talk smack

Stun someone

Drink Beer

*yawn*

He won't ever do anything good again so he should just stay away.....although compared to Hogan he is a fresh and new as a spring chick.

I don't enjoy his apperances very much. He's not awful or anything, just find his segments boring.

BigDaddyCool
12-11-2007, 02:18 PM
I hate him. I never really liked him even when he was hot. But now I'm bored.

Crossrine
12-11-2007, 02:19 PM
I've seen the beer hose so many times, I'm always wondering isnt it bad revenue for Miller light to have a beer truck with a hose on it? Rather than sell cans?

BigDaddyCool
12-11-2007, 02:23 PM
I've seen the beer hose so many times, I'm always wondering isnt it bad revenue for Miller light to have a beer truck with a hose on it? Rather than sell cans?

Refills kegs, I think?

Loose Cannon
12-11-2007, 02:44 PM
please don't get me started. I cringe every time he shows up. I really don't know how people can watch him do the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...yea you like it....and over and over and still enjoy it. Well maybe if they are not humans, but robots, then I can see how you might enjoy it.

Fox
12-11-2007, 03:15 PM
If I were Austin, I would never come back to wrestling simply because the crowds STILL do that annoying "WHAT" shit.

GOD I hate that.

Rammsteinmad
12-11-2007, 03:38 PM
I liked him when he was wrestling. Now I can't stand him. Especially because nobody gets the better of him. I marked out at Cyber Sunday (I think) when JBL got the better of him for a bit.

I knew he'd make a comeback and hit a Stunner... but for a brief moment I was glued to the screen shouting "Come on JBL!!!".

Besides that it's just the same every time.

Jeritron
12-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Lets be fair, it was always the same everytime. If they're gonna have him coming out and doing this shit I agree they should at least freshen it up. He should have came in with the beer truck last night. A lesser rehash if still a rehash.

Loose Cannon
12-11-2007, 05:22 PM
no, my problem was it wasn't always the same every time. It started becoming the same when he started driving ATV's to the ring like a moron. Before when he actually wrestled, people went over him on shows and left him laying at times. This never happens with him anymore. I want to see someone block the god dam stunner one time.

It's ALWAYS, Entrance...Babble...what chants...babble...toast...stunner. fuck you Ausitn

Loose Cannon
12-11-2007, 05:28 PM
seriously, I just want to run in the ring and cause security to chase me around just so he can't get a stunner in due to time restrictions

Kane Knight
12-11-2007, 05:32 PM
no, my problem was it wasn't always the same every time. It started becoming the same when he started driving ATV's to the ring like a moron. Before when he actually wrestled, people went over him on shows and left him laying at times. This never happens with him anymore. I want to see someone block the god dam stunner one time.

It's ALWAYS, Entrance...Babble...what chants...babble...toast...stunner. fuck you Ausitn

Loosey Goosey's right.

Still, it hurts nobody when Austin stuns McMahon. There's no point to him killing fresh blood, but last night was fun.

KYR
12-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Have to admit that I'm bored by the sameness of each of his appearances.

Having said that, at least HE could be bothered to show up for Raw's 15th Anniversary show, unlike SOME individual who considers himself to be too good for his fans.

Yeah, I'm pissed off!

OverTaker
12-11-2007, 07:58 PM
Yeah good point. Where the hell was The Rock?

Kane Knight
12-11-2007, 08:00 PM
The Rock is better than Carnie scum. It's time to move on, kids.

Xero
12-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Making more money doing less work.

Evil Vito
12-11-2007, 08:03 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Yeah Austin bores me for the most part.....but it was only fitting that he show up to stun McMahon at Raw's 15th anniversary.

Of course, even if he came out and stunned McMahon every week, I still woulda marked seeing it live</font> :cool:

Rob
12-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Stop taking it so seriously. The guy is the biggest star in history and he isn't hurting anyone doing his spots. Plus the fans enjoy it. When they stop enjoying it, they should stop. But that might not ever happen.

Fox
12-11-2007, 08:09 PM
Austin needs to come back and kick some ass in the ring. We all know he has it left in him.

That fucking pussy.

Theo Dious
12-11-2007, 08:17 PM
What is it about Austin?

Basically, any time Austin is in the ring, I'm thinking "at least it isn't Hogan."

Mooияakeя™
12-11-2007, 09:00 PM
If he keeps coming out this often, one day seriously, he'll get a Jannety style pop.

loopydate
12-11-2007, 10:22 PM
I hate him. I never really liked him even when he was hot. But now I'm bored.

Skippord
12-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Stop taking it so seriously. The guy is the biggest star in history and he isn't hurting anyone doing his spots. Plus the fans enjoy it. When they stop enjoying it, they should stop. But that might not ever happen.
:y:

Kane Knight
12-11-2007, 11:01 PM

This. Seriously.

Super V
12-12-2007, 10:33 AM
http://members.tripod.com/~wcwfroggy/ic.jpg

BigDaddyCool
12-12-2007, 10:40 AM
The only thing I would mark out for from Austin is if he finally gave someone the rub...like maybe MVP or someone just ready to break out.

Rob
12-12-2007, 12:01 PM
I thought about this again today and I think that I've enjoyed all Austin's appearances and he could do the same thing for the rest of his life and I'd enjoy Vince taking a stunner and doing the hokey selling when beer is poured on him forever.

Xero
12-12-2007, 12:22 PM
I'm a huge Austin mark, but even I'm getting tired of his endless returns. I'll mark out if he ever gets back into the ring for a match, but...

interforce
12-12-2007, 03:47 PM
I'm a huge Austin mark, but even I'm getting tired of his endless returns. I'll mark out if he ever gets back into the ring for a match, but...

:y:

Verbose Minch
12-12-2007, 05:40 PM
I mark the fuck out whenever Foley is mentioned.

Mr. Nerfect
12-13-2007, 11:55 AM
please don't get me started. I cringe every time he shows up. I really don't know how people can watch him do the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...yea you like it....and over and over and still enjoy it. Well maybe if they are not humans, but robots, then I can see how you might enjoy it.

You mean like every single "top face" the WWE has? Triple H cuts the same promos every week. Shawn Michaels is great, but we all know how it goes by now, he gets disrespected by someone, goes looking for that respect, and beats the kid if they're a mid-carder the WWE is testing the waters with, or he loses if they're one of the pet projects, but he gets in a Sweet Chin Music or two. Jeff Hardy is pretty much the same as he was seven years ago.

I got sick of Austin during his Sheriff Austin crap, but when he returns now days, he's actually the highlight of the show, simply because he actually gets a reaction out of the fans.

Also, Austin recently said that if he wanted to, he could probably go one or two more years in the ring. If I were Vince, I'd consider selling off half the roster, and using the money to pay Austin to come back part-time. You get three shows for effectively one and a half rosters, which means guys will be better developed, and there's a lot more talent out there so there might be some good competition for a change, and then you have a fire lit under the WWE, increasing the quality of their product further.

Sepholio
12-13-2007, 12:14 PM
I mark for all aspects of an Austin return except for the "WHAT!?" chants. Admittedly, when the WHAT thing was first used and it was Austin saying it, I found it to be one of the most hillarious things ever. But it is old now. Hell, HE QUIT USING IT PEOPLE.

But besides that one flaw, he was/is an icon. He damn near made WWE the juggernaut it was 4-8 years ago single handedly. But some credit goes to The Rock.

Kane Knight
12-13-2007, 12:50 PM
I mark for all aspects of an Austin return except for the "WHAT!?" chants. Admittedly, when the WHAT thing was first used and it was Austin saying it, I found it to be one of the most hillarious things ever. But it is old now. Hell, HE QUIT USING IT PEOPLE.

But besides that one flaw, he was/is an icon. He damn near made WWE the juggernaut it was 4-8 years ago single handedly. But some credit goes to The Rock.

Austin plays to that reaction, though. Don't bitch about the fans responding. If he didn't want them saying "what? Every two seconds, he probably wouldn't pause every two seconds.

It was never really amusing. I'm sorry you've worn out on it, but don't complain about the fans and not the guy who's clearly pandering to the reaction.

Also, credit should go to the Rock, as Well as DX, Vince (luck or not, Austin would not have gone that far without Vince's character), Taker, and about a dozen other people. Austin was great in part because he was up against great characters. Austin moments were awesome because we was beating up the boss, or up against people who were in most respects his equal, and not just because he was Austin.

Indifferent Clox
12-13-2007, 03:01 PM
if the question was "what is it about, austin" Then this would be a different post altogether.

1. IF it was a book about Austin's favorite beer that the "what is IT about, Austin?" statement refered it may have gone like this

never mind I'm hungry

RGWhat316
12-14-2007, 03:30 PM
I've always been an Austin mark, and the guy is still over like rover so I don't mind him doing the same old thing everytime he returns. I even got a chance to meet him last weekend at a monster truck show, and he was really cool to me.

Though i did partially mark out for Santino almost getting the better of him a couple weeks ago. Besides JBL, Santino is the only one who was really standing up to him.

Loose Cannon
12-14-2007, 04:50 PM
You mean like every single "top face" the WWE has? Triple H cuts the same promos every week. Shawn Michaels is great, but we all know how it goes by now, he gets disrespected by someone, goes looking for that respect, and beats the kid if they're a mid-carder the WWE is testing the waters with, or he loses if they're one of the pet projects, but he gets in a Sweet Chin Music or two. Jeff Hardy is pretty much the same as he was seven years ago.

I got sick of Austin during his Sheriff Austin crap, but when he returns now days, he's actually the highlight of the show, simply because he actually gets a reaction out of the fans.

Also, Austin recently said that if he wanted to, he could probably go one or two more years in the ring. If I were Vince, I'd consider selling off half the roster, and using the money to pay Austin to come back part-time. You get three shows for effectively one and a half rosters, which means guys will be better developed, and there's a lot more talent out there so there might be some good competition for a change, and then you have a fire lit under the WWE, increasing the quality of their product further.

my main argument is nobody gets the best of Austin and It's always the EXACT same thing.

HHH and HBK may act the same week in and week out, but there having different matches, take part in different segments and they don't always get the upperhand. Most of the time, yes...but not everytime. I just want Austin to get laid out one fucking time. Is that too much to ask for?

Fox
12-14-2007, 10:24 PM
Austin can't get taken out by anyone because he can't have a return match against them. In his eyes, he's making himself look bad for no reason and no payoff, which is true.

When he makes someone like Carlito or Santio Marella look bad, in theory they can always get their heat back over another active wrestler later on down the road.

Mr. Nerfect
12-15-2007, 12:41 AM
my main argument is nobody gets the best of Austin and It's always the EXACT same thing.

HHH and HBK may act the same week in and week out, but there having different matches, take part in different segments and they don't always get the upperhand. Most of the time, yes...but not everytime. I just want Austin to get laid out one fucking time. Is that too much to ask for?

No, it's not too much to ask for. I'd love to have seen Santino Marella slap around Austin, or CM Punk turn heel by beating the guy down and putting him in the Anaconda Vise, as JR screams about Austin's neck. That shit would be great, but I'm just not on the boat of guys who is particularly annoyed when he comes out and gives JBL or Vince McMahon the Stunner, or something.

Also, he and The Rock are the only two guys who get real standing ovations in this day and age. He comes out, and the place becomes unglued. I welcome him to just get the crowds actually into something.

Kane Knight
12-15-2007, 09:33 AM
It's true. I wasn't sure if the crowd was even alive on Monday until Stone Cold's music hit.

Heyman
12-15-2007, 10:27 AM
He's old, out of shape, he's a shell of his former self, and yet I mark every damn time he shows up. There isn't a single other retired guy who comes back and I don't think to myself "Way to ruin a part of your legacy for an extra 5 minutes asshole." But with Austin, I mean I know it's going to be shallow, he'll do a little promo, stunner someone and drink beer, and yet I don't ever seem to grow tired of that.

What is it about Austin that continues to make him so welcomed on my TV long after he's been done?

Austin is my favorite wrestler of all-time. However - I CANNOT stand to see him nowadays when he shows up on RAW. He' just way too predictable and way too toned down. I pretty much agree with everything Loose Cannon said.

For me - seeing Austin today makes me sad.....because it reminds me of how he is NOT like the Austin of old. Even guys like Triple H, HBK, Undertaker, Jericho, and The Rock (if she showed up) are still somewhat close to their younger and cooler selves.