PDA

View Full Version : what are the best anime series?

Indifferent Clox
12-13-2007, 12:44 AM
Like what are the best anime series (or moveis if they are really good)? I wanna get one and I just got Samaruai champloo.

Funky Fly
12-13-2007, 12:54 AM
Death Note
Bleach (sub, not dub)
One Piece (not the 4 Kids dub)
Full Metal Alchemist
Ghost In The Shell (movie based on the original manga)
Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex (spinoff series)
Ghost In The Shell: SAC 2nd Gig (second season of the series, but has its own title)
Red Garden
Bartender
Cowboy Bebop
Ninja Scroll

That's off the top of my head.

LoDownM
12-13-2007, 01:10 AM
all those plus

Black Lagoon
Rurôni Kenshin
Black Blood Brothers
Peace Maker Kuragne
Tenjou Tengai
Utawarerumono(strange name, good anime)
Innocent Venus

Except for Kenshin, I have no idea what the dubs are like on any of these, subs ftw.

Indifferent Clox
12-13-2007, 01:11 AM
Ok I want to see bleach
and i've read death note
one peice looks good
didn't like ninja scrolls
cowboy bebop is amazing
FMA is great
what are bartender and red garden about?

Fignuts
12-13-2007, 01:16 AM
Naruto is great if you watch the uncut japanese version. The 5th box set just came out. Although there is a lot of filler at one point, but its all in one clump. Not spread out over the series. So when those sets come out you can just avoid them.

Grave of the Fireflies is awesome, but have prozac handy. Its the most epressing film ever made.

The dub of one piece is one of the most buthered translations ever. WATCH THE SUB.

Funky Fly
12-13-2007, 01:20 AM
Ok I want to see bleach
and i've read death note
one peice looks good
didn't like ninja scrolls
cowboy bebop is amazing
FMA is great
what are bartender and red garden about?

Bartender is kinda weird. It's literally like these random people walk into a bar and the bartender listens to their stories centered around a particular drink and then serves them a drink which makes them feel better about their problems. The premise sounds dumb, but it's actually really good. It kinda makes you appreciate the backstory behind various liquors.

Red Garden is about 4 highschool chicks who all die one night and wake up the next day with everything feeling wrong. They get forced by these 2 strange people to fight some weird guy who is acting like a rabid dog. Their lives kinda get turned upside down and they all bond with each other since they're alienated from basically everyone else as they get better control of their new powers deeper into the story. 23 episodes, iirc.

Funky Fly
12-13-2007, 01:21 AM
Naruto is great if you watch the uncut japanese version. The 5th box set just came out. Although there is a lot of filler at one point, but its all in one clump. Not spread out over the series. So when those sets come out you can just avoid them.

Grave of the Fireflies is awesome, but have prozac handy. Its the most epressing film ever made.

The dub of one piece is one of the most buthered translations ever. WATCH THE SUB.

Apparently some other company started dubbing one piece a lot better. Haven't seen it for myself, but yeah, the dub is great.

Vietnamese Crippler
12-13-2007, 01:27 AM
Apparently some other company started dubbing one piece a lot better. Haven't seen it for myself, but yeah, the dub is great.

Funimation picked it up and it's awesome ;)

And going with some ones not mentioned in here so far:

- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (try to watch it in the original broadcast order, it's a strange trip if you do)
- Eureka 7
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
- Darker than Black
- Blood+ (and the original movie Blood: The Last Vampire)

I have a few other off beat ones, but I don't know your tastes.

Funky Fly
12-13-2007, 01:32 AM
Oh yeah, forgot Darker Than Black.

Fignuts
12-13-2007, 01:40 AM
Amazes me how funimation went from slaughtering dbz, to becoming one of the best dubbers around.

Kalyx triaD
12-13-2007, 02:22 AM
Funimation came up.

I like:
FULL METAL ALCHEMIST (+ Movie)
Basilisk
Crayon Shin Chan
GITS: Movie
GITS: 2nd GIG (Didn't really like the SAC season)
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Wolf's Rain
Trigun
Witch Hunter Robin
Cowboy Bebop

And I'm most likely gonna love DMC.

Vietnamese Crippler
12-13-2007, 02:35 AM
Oh, if you want something fucked up, watch School Days. Most deranged, surprise-filled ending I have EVER seen.

Kalyx triaD
12-13-2007, 02:39 AM
Paranoia Agent is great, too.

Funky Fly
12-13-2007, 02:46 AM
Paranoia Agent is great, too.

WTF is that one about? I tried to watch it but had no idea what was going on. Also missed the first few episodes.

Kalyx triaD
12-13-2007, 02:56 AM
Without giving too much away; a city is terrorized by a kid on roller skates with a bad habit of whacking people with a bent golden baseball bat. The series initially plays his 'urban legend' similar to other spooky legends like Bloody Mary where you'd have met a certain criteria prior to being attacked. The first few episodes are disconnected stories, but near the end of the series it gets pretty deep. Check it out sometime.

McLegend
12-13-2007, 07:12 AM
I have only seen like 3 episodes of death note, and they were in the middle of the series. I have to say though it's pretty damn good

Impact!
12-13-2007, 08:38 AM
Rahzephan (or however it's spelt isn't to bad)

Dark-Slicer Diago
12-13-2007, 09:16 AM
Like Funky Fly, these are up there as the best

Death Note(not going to spoile it but the ending could've been better and the show itself should've been longer)
Bleach (sub, though I kinda like the dub, all they had to do what pronounce some Zanpaku-to names right)
Trigun
Gundam Wing
InuYasha
Darker Than Black
Claymore
Street Fighter 2V
Dragonball/Z/GT(I still like them for some reason)
Sailor Moon(don't ask why)

Edit - forgot InuYasha

thecc
12-13-2007, 10:14 AM
I've really enjoyed the whole Ranma 1/2 series. It may not be viewed as the best but it is definitly worth a watch.

Kane Knight
12-13-2007, 10:19 AM
My anime collection consists of Tekkaman Blade/TB2 and the Street Fighter 2 stuff. So those.

Corporate CockSnogger
12-13-2007, 11:43 AM
My avatar :D

Although I thought the movie was shit.

Sepholio
12-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Fullmetal Alchemist
Record of the Lodoss War (both series)
Death Note (amazing to me)
Ghost in the Shell (inclusing Stand Alone Complex, S.A.C. 2nd gig, and Solid State Society)
Dragonball (Original Japanese with Subs)
Kikaider
Samurai Champloo
Wolf's Rain
Cowboy Bebop (the movie is INCREDIBLE)
Tenchi Muyo
Gundam (like 95% of the series and movies)
Bleach (current fave)
Ninja Scroll
One Peice
Outlaw Star
Big-O (admittedly, I am a fan-boy for this one, just love the atmosphere of it)
Reign: The Conquerer (too short, but very good)

Edit: Trigun (post a few up reminded me of its greatness)

But the best ever is Akira. I still hold onto hope there will be an Akira 2 (even though this movie is 20 years old now). It is that good. In fact, I am going to see if there is any new news on a sequel right now.

.44 Magdalene
12-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Azu Manga Daioh
Excel Saga
Godannar
Blue Seed
Metropolis
Akira
FLCL
Colorful
The original Bubblegum Crisis

.44 Magdalene
12-13-2007, 01:12 PM
Excel Saga is really my favorite of all time. Azu Manga makes a close second, and Haruhi's getting there.

Elfen Lied is bad ass but fucked up.

Kalyx triaD
12-13-2007, 02:30 PM
I love Big O but I don't consider it Anime, way too many western influences. Damn good show, though.

Vietnamese Crippler
12-13-2007, 02:37 PM
Giant robots fighting don't just SCREAM anime to you? :lol:

Forgot to mention one of my favorite comedies, School Rumble/School Rumble Nigakki

I also have to throw in Lucky Star. You'll feel like a pedophile watching it, but it's worth a watch. Just don't get thrown off by the first episode.

Kalyx triaD
12-13-2007, 03:09 PM
Anybody ever seen Gunslinger Girl? I've been wanting to check it out.

bigdaddysuperfreak
12-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Ninja Scroll is definately one of the greatest anime movies ever. I always have and always will DBZ. Bleach is pretty good, as is Desert Punk and cowboy bebop. Blood+ isnt really that good and neither is chrono crusade. Saiyuke reload is aight since it has a cool story line.

ClockShot
12-13-2007, 05:44 PM
The Big-O
Saiyuki (I got all of the first season. I had the first disk of reload but turned it off after one episode cause it had a bad dub.)
Cowboy Bebop
Ninja Scroll (Series and Movie)
Outlaw Star
Full Metal Alchemist - God. I really got finish that set.
Heat Guy J
Got some of Miyazaki's movies.

Adult Swim started running Trinity Blood. I caught an episode of that as I was getting ready for work and I thought it was pretty good.

Gotta find me a full set of Ronin Warriors.

Fignuts
12-13-2007, 08:37 PM
How am I the only person who's mentioned naruto?

Its not the best anime but it surely deserves more than one mention.

Even if you're not that interested in the story, the fight scenes are some of the coolest ever. Mainly because they use intelligence and cunning to outwit their opponent to gain the upper hand instead of simply "powering up" like a lot of other shows. (Although they have a small bit of that as well.)

I also think the characterization is a lot better than in most shows. They have a lot less filler characters than in other shows. Almost everyone gets their own storys and moments so you feel like you know them as well as you do the main characters.

ClockShot
12-13-2007, 08:46 PM

Even if you're not that interested in the story, the fight scenes are some of the coolest ever. Mainly because they use intelligence and cunning to outwit their opponent to gain the upper hand instead of simply "powering up" like a lot of other shows. (Although they have a small bit of that as well.)

I also think the characterization is a lot better than in most shows. They have a lot less filler characters than in other shows. Almost everyone gets their own storys and moments so you feel like you know them as well as you do the main characters.

I watch it from time to time. Kinda bummed on this season (they're on their 3rd intro now or something) that someone cool is gonna get whacked every other week.

Vietnamese Crippler
12-13-2007, 09:55 PM

I think it's one of those staples right now that of all the people watching anime, probably 99% of those people have watched or is watching Naruto.

It just doesn't need to be mentioned because everyone knows about it :o

.44 Magdalene
12-14-2007, 07:50 AM

...the fight scenes are some of the coolest ever.

http://narutocopyninjas.ytmnd.com/

Fignuts
12-14-2007, 09:34 AM
Oh a wise guy eh?

.44 Magdalene
12-14-2007, 10:20 AM
:D

Indifferent Clox
12-14-2007, 11:31 AM
I have a party to start tonight

Kane Knight
12-14-2007, 01:10 PM

In a thread about the best anime series, no less.

Fignuts
12-14-2007, 04:37 PM
I was saying its not THE best. That didn't come out right.

Kane Knight
12-14-2007, 05:24 PM
I'm just playing with you. :D

Kane Knight
12-14-2007, 05:25 PM
That said, I think Naruto's shite in both English and Japanese. I don't care if people like it, I just don't.

Mr Regal
12-14-2007, 05:35 PM
There is a new sky digital chanel which is dedicated to anime, can't remember what number it is though as I was drunk when I stumbled across it. I think it's in the entertainment group though. It was showing the ghost in the shell series when i flicked over to it. Gonna have to check it out, i think all you other brits should too.

Kane Knight
12-14-2007, 05:41 PM
Mmmm...Ghost in the shell...

Haven't see the series though.

Fignuts
12-14-2007, 05:57 PM
That said, I think Naruto's shite in both English and Japanese. I don't care if people like it, I just don't.

Care to elaborate? Not trying to start an arguement, just curious.

Fignuts
12-14-2007, 05:59 PM
I've wanted to check ghost in the shell out, but if you don't watch every episode beginning to end, you're fucked. Can't figure out whats happening.

Funky Fly
12-14-2007, 06:04 PM
I've wanted to check ghost in the shell out, but if you don't watch every episode beginning to end, you're fucked. Can't figure out whats happening.

That's especially the case in the second season, since the first run kinda had some stand alone episodes in there.

Also, don't bother watching the second movie. Absolute crap. Still have Solid State Society (the movie based on the series) on my pc. Need to watch that shit sometime.