PDA

View Full Version : DISCUSSION - What should the "Next Great Stable" be in the WWE?

Heyman
12-15-2007, 03:08 PM
DISCUSSION - What should the "Next Great Stable" be in the WWE?

The WWE (and the wrestling world in general) has seen many memorable stables throughout its history.

-4 Horsemen
-nWo
-Degeneration X
-McMahon-Helmsley Faction
-The Corporation
-The Hart Foundation
-The Radicalz
-The Ministry of Darkness
-Evolution

And so on......

In the last few years however, we haven't really seen any stables....or any GREAT stables....ones of which composed of a World title contender, IC contender, or tag team contenders. We haven't seen that ONE stable really take a strangelhold on a particular show. So with that in mind, what stables would YOU create in today's WWE? Here are a few that came into my mind: Some of that have no chance of happening, but I thought it would be cool anyways:

1) Team Rock:

This won't happen, but I thought it would've been cool if The Rock returned to the WWE as a heel, and formed a gigantic heel stable (similar to the nWo in size). The members of Team Rock would all wear Brahma Bull shirts and basically treat The Rock like a god. They would help The Rock win matches, and basically kiss his ass. The premise for them joining Team Rock would be....

a) The Rock paid them huge sums of money (with his Hollywood $$$$)
b) These people believe that The Rock truly is a saviour......and that the WWE is better with him being the one and only champ for ratings.

The Rock would use his old 2003 Hollywod heel music and would act like he did in that particular time period.

2) Rated RKO: Edge, Randy Orton, Gene Snitsky, Kenny Dykstra

Edge and Orton would form an alliance, that would allow both men to be World champs on their respective shows. Gene Snitsky would be Rated RKO's bodyguard. Someone like Kenny Dykstra (or Cody Rhodes, whoever) would be the team's IC or US contender.

3) John Cena: Chain Gang Stable:

I was thinking that if Cena came back and turned heel at some point, he could form a heelish chain gang stable (i.e. a fellow group of white dudes that tried to act black). Originally, I was thinking that a team like Cryme Tyme could fit in well with a Cena heel stable, but they've been released.

I'm about to hit the 'submit new thread' button, and I realized that some of these ideas are pretty.....uh....weak (although for me personally, option #2 sounds intriguing). Edge, Orton, and Snitsky could be a tremendous unit. The 4th guy (Dykstra? Rhodes?) would be someone who is an up-and-comer.......someone that could realistically be a main-eventer one day (so maybe a guy like Ken Kennedy or MVP could be the 4th guy.....although both guys are already and so they don't really need a stable).

Jeritron
12-15-2007, 03:11 PM
The McMahon-Helmsley faction was a good stable? I must have missed that version because the one I watched in 2000 sucked, despite the year and promotion being amazing

The MAC
12-15-2007, 03:32 PM
make a stable of gays: ricco ,goldust, shannon moore etc.

that would be funny to watch.

Kane Knight
12-15-2007, 04:13 PM
make a stable of gays: ricco ,goldust, shannon moore etc.

that would be funny to watch.

How can you mention a stable of faggots and not mention Michaels? He could be a senior mentor to the group!

Anyway, I'm in favor of a Hindu stable.

ClockShot
12-15-2007, 05:05 PM
I'm down for Money Inc. 2.0 with Dibiase's son involved in some way.

Hanso Amore
12-15-2007, 05:10 PM
All horrible ideas, Im sorry

How about Owen Hart, Daniel Benoit and the great Moolah?

Indifferent Clox
12-15-2007, 05:12 PM
I really think the Christian Coalition has an amazing name. And if it really was AJ Angle Tomko Roode and Christian it would have been amazing. that one night was awesome

Mr. Nerfect
12-15-2007, 06:26 PM
The idea of Team Rock sounded really crappy to me at first, no offence Heyman, but the more I think about it, the more I like it. The Rock will realistically not return to the WWE, but I think it would actually be pretty cool to see a group of people start to worship him. The WWE would not see purpose in it, as the idea is, but to make it appeal to their needs for some kind of contemporary (if slightly out-dated) needs, it could be sort of a parody on Scientology, an angle the WWE were apparently planning to do.

Would it be the next big stable? No way. It'd be more for comedic purposes, with a chance for them to become upper mid-carders if The Rock actually appeared and legitimised them. It would, however, give Afa, Jr. and a re-hired Sonny Siaki something to do. Eric Perez could be called up as part of it. They could even bring in Ron Simmons as some kind of mentor. "The Rock once stole the Nation from under me, but now I steal the universe for him."

Yeah, it's a really shitty idea, but for a mid-card stable, it could work to get some guys attention.

Xero
12-15-2007, 06:41 PM
Something not suggested by the IWC.

Mr. Nerfect
12-15-2007, 06:46 PM
Something not suggested by the IWC.

Well, seeing as you are part of the IWC, and you suggested that it will be something not suggested by the IWC, then by default, your suggestion is null-and-void.

Thanks, Xero, you've just ruled out the possibility of another great stable. :shifty:

Jeritron
12-15-2007, 07:59 PM
Evolution wasn't really a great stable. Looking back, it was decent. Certainly noteworthy but only because there hasn't been any other stables AT ALL. At the time it was less than great. It just never was as dominant and encompassing as it should have been. Part of that was probably due to only 3 or 4, in some months 2, active wrestlers in the stable.
Another part is that it was during brand extension, and they were only on Raw.

Again, looking back Evolution was good, but not great. It could have been great, but they never really went anywhere with it. It also should have had a real power struggle between Orton and HHH instead of such a shit disbanment.

The last GREAT stable was The Corporation.
During this time, the Ministry and DX were at their best as well.
The nWo, by now was dead and the 4 horsemen were weakened.

The McMahon Helmesly faction and the Corporate Ministry were just lame attempts at improving upon it. They also brought in the Ministry and DX respectively, neither of whom meshed well with the idea of a corporate stable.

What you got were 2 shitty combinations of 3 great stables.

Mr. Nerfect
12-15-2007, 08:04 PM
Evolution wasn't really a great stable. Looking back, it was decent. Certainly noteworthy but only because there hasn't been any other stables AT ALL. At the time it was less than great. It just never was as dominant and encompassing as it should have been. Part of that was probably due to only 3 or 4, in some months 2, active wrestlers in the stable.
Another part is that it was during brand extension, and they were only on Raw.

Again, looking back Evolution was good, but not great. It could have been great, but they never really went anywhere with it. It also should have had a real power struggle between Orton and HHH instead of such a shit disbanment.

The last GREAT stable was The Corporation.
During this time, the Ministry and DX were at their best as well.
The nWo, by now was dead and the 4 horsemen were weakened.

The McMahon Helmesly faction and the Corporate Ministry were just lame attempts at improving upon it. They also brought in the Ministry and DX respectively, neither of whom meshed well with the idea of a corporate stable.

In my opinion, there were two possible ways to go with Evolution. One was to have Randy Orton boot Triple H out of the group, and to have Ric Flair and Batista associate themselves with him, as a new "future" member is added, because Randy Orton has become the "present."

The other was for Randy Orton to actually hand the World Heavyweight Championship to Triple H eight days after he won it, and a week after his ass kicking at the hands of the rest of Evolution. You could then have Chris Benoit take offence that Randy Orton, who was good enough to beat Benoit, would disrespect what it meant to win the World Heavyweight Championship, by handing it to a man that was not good enough to dethrone Benoit. Chris could hammer it in for weeks that Randy Orton was better than Triple H, and you could even have them work a few more matches against each other, as Triple H feuded with Edge, Shawn Michaels and Chris Jericho (as was going on at this time). Orton could have then won the Royal Rumble, did what Batista did, and basically tell Triple H go fuck himself, and bam, main event for Mania set.

Kane Knight
12-15-2007, 08:06 PM
Well, seeing as you are part of the IWC, and you suggested that it will be something not suggested by the IWC, then by default, your suggestion is null-and-void.

Thanks, Xero, you've just ruled out the possibility of another great stable. :shifty:

And if Vince ever reads this, his head will implode in a collision of critical reasoning.

Loose Cannon
12-15-2007, 08:09 PM
it pisses me off every time I think about the way they went with Orton and Evolution. so stupid

Mr. Nerfect
12-15-2007, 08:21 PM
If I were charged with creating the next big WWE stable, I'd go with something like the following:

It'd be very similar to the nWo and D-Generation X, in that its members don't care for the rules at all, and do whatever the fuck they want. Two guys that I see really fitting it, would be Mr. Kennedy and Carlito.

Both men are a little lost in the shuffle, at the moment. Carlito is unmotivated, and in my opinion, has every right to be. The guy was turned into a bland babyface after being an interesting heel. The guy then became a heel, but that didn't fix the problem. His heel turn was designed to embarrass him, and address him not being happy. Vince has apparently convinced him to stay, so this does something with the investment they obviously have in him.

Mr. Kennedy has fallen a bit in the eyes of some. He's still as good a performer as he ever was, but with the steroid stuff, a lot of people have turned on him. He's also been moved over to RAW and suffered some injuries. It's put him in a bit of a weird position, as sometimes it feels like the WWE wants him to main event, but other times they want him to pay his dues.

I'd honestly just get these two together, and have them align because they have nothing better to do. Kennedy would be the "leader" of the two, and while Carlito is not a sub-ordinate, he kind of takes a more laid back, "whatever" approach. They both voice displeasure at their current treatment. Kennedy was suspended by Vince in storyline terms, and Carlito can go more shoot with his comments, claiming he is sick of skeletons from the past claiming he is unmotived, because unmotived he is still better than them. Have them appear on all three brands, and beat the crap out of anything that moves. Have them "not turn up" to live events, and just make them out to be arrogant cocksuckers.

Now, two men a stable does not make. I'd have someone from another brand join them, and to be honest, although he is fine on his own, I believe MVP would fit this role. He's generally a disrespectful character, and he's associated himself with Kennedy in the past. He can wrestle well enough, and talk well enough, and has enough credibility to be on roughly the same level as Carlito and Kennedy.

I'd also add in a lower card guy like Charlie Haas. He can wrestle, talk (even if he's not always flashy) and with Shelton Benjamin getting his push, Haas could leach onto the parallels between them, and use that to justify at least some kind of rise in the ranks.

Just have these guys beat-down guys on all three brands, under the guise that they are sick of playing by the WWE's rules. Have them address the glass ceiling, and about how history is unfortunately written by those in power, and that they are here to challenge that history. You could even add some kind of authority figure to their side later on. Maybe Shane McMahon could approve of their actions, claiming that Vince needs to step down as Chairman for him, much like the older guys need to make room for the current generation of stars.

The key to keeping this stable somewhat credible, is to not put them over as the future, but the present. MVP and Mr. Kennedy at their prime age. A lot of people have done the "we're young and want a shot" angle, but I think it is more unusual to see a "we're not there, but we should be" angle.

So yeah, my stable's generals would be Mr. Kennedy, Carlito and MVP. I have no idea what I'd call them, or if they'd match up their music and attire, but I think it would be a good idea (to a degree).

FourFifty
12-15-2007, 08:52 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. They need to sign the Million Dollar Man to from a stable. All he's doing is buying out other people's contracts and making money off of them. He doesn't need a reason to sign them except he sees them as an investment.

Y2Ant
12-15-2007, 10:07 PM
Hindu Stable.

Nark Order
12-15-2007, 10:11 PM
When has Charlie Haas ever shown that he can talk?

FourFifty
12-15-2007, 10:18 PM

Pfft, we saw he could talk on the Raw XV show. He may have only said "Abe 'Knuckleball' Schwartz" but he talked! :roll:

Heyman
12-16-2007, 12:29 AM
it pisses me off every time I think about the way they went with Orton and Evolution. so stupid

Hey LC,

You were here around the time I was having those daily debates with The CyNick (imo - the greatest wrestling forum poster of all-time :love:). You also know that out of almost ALL the debates we had, he probably got the better of me in almost ALL of them.

As it relates to Randy Orton however (Summerslam 2004), I can honestly say that I defeated The CyNick.

Before Summerslam 2004, Orton was starting to garner huge face pops due to how amazing his character was. The fans were really getting behind Randy's emergence and chase for the title. At the time, almost EVERYONE on here was screaming for an Orton face turn. I on the other hand, claimed that it was still WAY too soon for Orton to turn face.....and that they should wait on it. Turning him face would cause a character change for Orton (and given how the WWE were piss poor in pushing faces at the time, the change would be for the worse).

My motto was this: NEVER change a winning game plan. NEVER piss on your meal ticket. The WWE had a great thing going with Orton, and they fucked it up (just as they did with Lesnar 2 years earlier).

I swear - had Orton and Triple H "switched spots" that year (i.e. Triple H getting kicked out of Evolution, Orton jobbing as a heel to Batista at Mania), Orton would've been a HUUUUGE face.

And due to his JOB at Mania', he would still be motivated for future accomplishments (this is another place where the WWE fucked up with Lesnar....they gave him too much too quickly).

St. Jimmy
12-16-2007, 12:38 AM
Fabulous Freebirds 2.0

blake639raw
12-16-2007, 01:11 AM
This ain't possible anymore, but I had an idea for a stable called the Golden Dawn. It would be Randy Orton, Mr. Kennedy, Shelton Benjamin, & Chris Masters. Randy Orton is the blood/pedigree, the third generation superstar, the leader obviously. Mr. Kennedy is the charisma of the group, and a close second to Orton. Kennedy would be treated as a big deal, and would be a strong IC champion, elevating the belt to near main event status. Shelton Benjamin because he is the greatest overall athlete in the WWE, and Masters fit the role of the body of the new generation. Just have them go out there week after week, and start kicking ass and taking names. Its a stable that makes sense, because at one time or another, all of those guys have been labeled as possible future stars.

Indifferent Clox
12-16-2007, 01:52 AM
Orton Edge Kennedy MVP Carlito. Amazing HEEL STABLE.

Mr. Nerfect
12-16-2007, 04:04 AM

APA is Crap was pretty good. Plus, I enjoyed him in the segments where he was pretending to be black with Shelton. He's not great, but he's far more capable than people give him credit for. Like Tomko. I would not trust the guy to deliver an epic promo, but give him a few lines, and he will make them awesome. Charlie Haas is capable of the same stuff.

Mr. Nerfect
12-16-2007, 04:08 AM
Orton Edge Kennedy MVP Carlito. Amazing HEEL STABLE.

Actually, as you and Heyman have suggested, a heel stable led by Edge and Randy Orton would be pretty cool. I mean, they did have Rated-RKO, and it does pretty much tie-up every top heel, but Edge and Orton just have the right attitude for a modern answer to the nWo.