PDA

View Full Version : Armor For Sleep - Smile For Them

mitchables
12-17-2007, 03:10 AM
Back in 2003, when Armor For Sleep released Dream To Make Believe, I jumped straight behind them and proclaimed loudly from the rooftops, "this band is amazing". The softly sad and melodic voice of Ben Jorgensen, his heartfelt and somewhat subtle lyrics, the intricate "fiddly" verse guitars balanced out with anthemic choruses - this was a band that spoke to me. Their second effort, What To Do When You're Dead, was an ambitious concept album dealing with the protagonist's suicide and consequent journey through the afterlife as he firstly struggles to come to terms with his impulse to plunge his car headfirst into an ocean until he finally accepts what's happened and moves on. Sure, it wasn't as strong an album as Dream to Make Believe, but then, that shit was ridiculously good. Bonkers, if you will.

But now, I've gotta tell you, after one listen of Armor For Sleep's new(ish) CD, Smile For Them, I'm feeling a little bit like the nameless protagonist from What to Do. I plunged headfirst into this CD, safe in the knowledge that it was a good idea. Maybe. Probably.And then, like that, I wasn't so sure about what I'd done. I don't know what it is. Somewhere in the last four years, out went the intricate verse guitars, only to be largely replaced by poppy power chords with the occasional echoed-out lead line overlaid for that extra power pop goodness. The lyrics are still pretty good, but in terms of scope and general idea, I feel like they're being written by exactly the same guy who first spoke to me two albums ago, rather than his 2007 counterpart. It seems kind of obvious put like this, but really, if you're not going to grow with your listeners, then they're just going to outgrow you.

This CD might be doubly depressing for me because it exactly mirrors the change in Thursday's music between Full Collapse and A City By The Light Divided. Oh, and Sparta, between Wiretap Scars and Threes. It's like all of these bands gradually got lazier. Well, except in Thursday's case, where War All The Time was like a movement from strength to strength before they slapped out the 46-minute clusterfuck that became A City By The Light... but I digress.

So here I am, in my proverbial sinking car, thinking about my decision to buy the album. Don't get me wrong. Smile For Them is not an awful CD by any means. It has some really strong points, and if you're in the mood for something that doesn't require too much attention to listen to and still get the gist of, then this CD is probably adequate. It's a pretty cruisy, driven pop-rock album, at the base of it. It is still far more listenable than most of the hogwash that gets mega-airtime, but it feels like a bit of a disappointment in the grand scheme of things. I don't regret the decision, but it wasn't what I thought I was going to get.

6/10

Anybody else given this a spin? Thoughts?

Blitz
12-17-2007, 03:16 AM
I think I liked it better than What To Do....

mitchables
12-17-2007, 03:20 AM
Really? Maybe my tastes have just changed over the years, but I don't see how Smile For Them is a stronger album than WTDWYAD. At best, I would say it MIGHT be on par with it, and perhaps I'm just being too critical. After all, I've only listened to it the once. It may be a grower, but I dunno. :$

Blitz
12-17-2007, 03:35 AM
Bear in mind I've only listened to the full album once, and I haven't listened to What To Do since forever.

ron the dial
12-17-2007, 11:08 AM
At first listen I was greatly disappointed. I am a big fan of both of the previous albums, and was expecting a lot of this release. After listening to it a few more times there are some stand out tracks (Hold the Door is probably my favorite), but it just doesn't seem to add up. I'd take What To Do When You Are Dead over this any day.

Indifferent Clox
12-17-2007, 12:27 PM
I saw them with Chase Pagaen

paegan was amzing

FakeLaser
12-17-2007, 01:16 PM
I don't like this album. I think they reached their peak with What To Do When You Are Dead. Dream To Make Believe was a great album too but it sounds a bit dated, simple and pop punky at certain points. Don't get me wrong, I love it, and it takes me back, but I think their second album was ridiculously better.

Also, I'm glad you feel the same way as I did about City By The Light Divided. Terrible, terrible album. Did you hear their new EP? Mostly live tracks but a few new songs. Pretty decent.

mitchables
12-17-2007, 11:08 PM
Also, I'm glad you feel the same way as I did about City By The Light Divided. Terrible, terrible album. Did you hear their new EP? Mostly live tracks but a few new songs. Pretty decent.

Haven't heard the new EP. Have they found their form again with the new stuff? Because yeah, I can't bring myself to listen to A City By The Light Divided at all lest it further tarnish my memories of Full Collapse and War All The Time. :(

FakeLaser
12-18-2007, 12:54 AM
I like it. It's not incredible or anything but it's decent.

mitchables
12-18-2007, 10:01 AM
I will have to give it a listen, then. Thanks for the heads up. :heart:

MVP
12-18-2007, 03:32 PM
Mitch's opinion of the album kind of sums up my feeling as well. Smile For Them just doesn't have the lasting appeal that What To Do When You Are Dead has. Still an good album, but not as good as I had hoped.

Danny Electric
12-18-2007, 07:30 PM
I love Armor For Sleep but yeah I'm a bigger fan of their earlier stuff/

DS
12-18-2007, 07:40 PM
I remember really liking their first CD, although I can't remember anything from it at this point. So each time I see a new album by them I download it and give it a listen. What To Do never caught my attention even though I gave it multiple listens. Smile For Them isn't that bad but it kind of falls in the same place as What To Do does for me. Although I'd probably say I like Smile For Them better.

St. Jimmy
12-18-2007, 10:52 PM
1/1,000,000,000. It's "ok".

ron the dial
12-19-2007, 01:46 AM
Seriously, Basement Ghost Singing is blowing my mind rightnow.

FakeLaser
12-19-2007, 12:49 PM
It is a great track. That whole album is incredible.

Juan
12-20-2007, 12:52 AM
What To Do was such a good album, I might have to check this out.