PDA

View Full Version : Does the WWE really have that many fans?

Kenny
12-13-2003, 07:20 PM
Does the WWE really have that many fans... or do you think the WWE's fan base is dominated by people who are marks for any given wrestler?

I remember back at a house show I went to they actually offered a refund cause Stone Cold Steve Austin wasn't going to be there. A lot of people drove well over 50 - 100 miles and actually went for the refund.

So today... do you think the WWE fans are actually WWE fans? Or marks for specific talent such as Taker, Austin, Rock, Angle, Kane, HBK, HHH, Y2J, etc... ?

Elements
12-13-2003, 07:32 PM
You are not factoring in the asshole-itude™ of people. They have paid (for example) $50 for a house show, and then Stonecold doesn't show and the WWE says "We will give you your money back" They figure "hey, free show and I don't really care that much about Stone Cold....sweet."

Nevertheless, kudos to WWE for refunding because they couldn't provide what they had advertised.

Ricky
12-13-2003, 07:43 PM
I'm a WWE fan.

Kenny
12-13-2003, 07:43 PM
You are not factoring in the asshole-itude™ of people. They have paid (for example) $50 for a house show, and then Stonecold doesn't show and the WWE says "We will give you your money back" They figure "hey, free show and I don't really care that much about Stone Cold....sweet."

Nevertheless, kudos to WWE for refunding because they couldn't provide what they had advertised.

No no... I mean they got their money back and went straight home. They didn't even bother to attend the show because Stone Cold wasn't there.

Hell if I could have gotten my money back and still saw the show I would have went for it.

moshingfreak
12-13-2003, 07:46 PM
I like watching the new guys come in to WWE, cos their always the ones with the enthusiasm. I like wrestlers like Spanky, O'Hare, Jindrak and Cade, Conway and stuff like that. I hate the guys who dont wrestle on a weekly basis because of "injurys" but come back and get all the hype.
I HATE TRIPLE H!

Kenny
12-13-2003, 07:47 PM
This is an entertainment show, not really wrestling. It's all acting. People go to those shows to be entertained by Stone Cold, Rock, Angle, Kane, and all those other big names.

Just because people don't have computers doesn't mean they are marks. They are just regular wrestling fans like us. If they enjoy watching it, they're a fan.

I myself don't consider myself a smark, mark, or a smart. I don't go by those cute wrestling terms on the internet. I consider myself an actual fan since I enjoy everything in WWE, just like the fans enjoy everything they see at live shows. Live shows is so much fun. It may not be as fun to watch on TV, but once you actually go to see it live in person, you would actually enjoy it.

I've been to a ton of events.

4 Raws, 4 Smackdowns, SummerSlam 95, King of the Ring 98, and Unforgiven of 2001... and probably near 15 - 20 house shows. I definately agree with you that the WWE is awesome live. Live shows usually have me pumped up for weeks after I went.

One thing I have noticed with myself lately is I actually flip to see what's on MTV and a few other stations sometimes DURING the program. I keep it on if I see Kane, Jericho, Christian, most of the Diva's, etc...

Really this thread is me pondering that question in my head when it comes to myself. Am I really a WWE fan? Or am I a RVD, Y2J, Rock, Stone Cold, Kane, etc.. fan?

And I think back when Austin was getting really popular the show was all about DX, Stone Cold, The Rock, the Hardcore era, and whatever happened in between was just passing time in the minds of a lot of fans.

Kane Knight
12-13-2003, 10:26 PM
This is an entertainment show, not really wrestling.

dude! You don't say! :eek: :eek:

Kane Knight
12-13-2003, 11:30 PM
You know, action movies aren't real either. They're entertainment. This may be news to a lot of people, but trust me.

If you go to an action movie, you expect to see action. Maybe not real action, but you expect the action to be entertaining. If you went to a Jackie Chan movie and saw instead a Hogan fight, you'd prolly be disappointed.

Good wrestling, good athletic work, can be entertaining. People are not in the wrong for being more entertained by this than some weak ass guy who can't back it up in the ring.

natureboycv
12-14-2003, 01:09 AM
<font color=8307ff><b>I consider myself a WWE fan.</font></b>

Hired Hitman
12-14-2003, 02:00 AM
Truthfully... I mainly watch for the divas :$

Darwin Henderson
12-14-2003, 08:19 AM
A lot of people are watching WWE because they like wrestling and have no alternative. If WCW and ECW were still around WWE would be getting bad ratings because if people didnt like the product they could change the channel and get some more wrstling. A lot of people bash wwe and when i ask why they watch it they say because they hope it will change.

King Jericho
12-14-2003, 08:29 AM
Its not like wrestling is dominated by marks who are just there to see Austin, Rock whatever, yes its true that people have there favourite wrestler and of course there going to be bummed if they don't see them, esp. if they dont go to shows that often or have driven along way to see the show, but i dont think the business is driven by fans who are marks for a certain wrestler, they just prefer other wrestlers to others.

The ratings always show this, if you watch RAW or whatever then look at the ratings for that show, the ratings ususlly drop in a certain area, usually where the segment has been bad and where wrestlers who are in that segment are wrestling etc.. aren't that big or popular

Darwin Henderson
12-14-2003, 10:46 AM
im a y2j fan but im also a wwe fan!
he is my favourite wrestler but i watch wwe for more reasons then just him!

c4g2
12-14-2003, 10:52 AM
I watch for wrestling, but seeing the higher-carders fight are a bonus :)

Mikey
12-14-2003, 05:16 PM
I am a WWE Fan

The CyNick
12-14-2003, 06:29 PM
I'm a wrestling fan, so it wouldn't really matter who didn't show up for the show I'd still have a good time and stay for the show. One man is not bigger than the business to me, but in some cases, people are just fans of certain guys and dont really care much for the rest of the product.

I mean I could see myself going to a Broadway show, and if the advertised star of the show wasn't there, I would probably want my money back.

Kane Knight
12-14-2003, 06:40 PM
I'm a fan of good wrestling. I don't think I'd care if any one person was a no-show. It's more a question of the quality of the card which determines my interest. I like a lot of people on both shows, it's more a question of who's dominating the shows that determines.

Corkscrewed
12-15-2003, 01:22 AM
Um.....

Push the Cruiserweights!