PDA

View Full Version : Can Anyone Confirm or Refute This?

Jura
01-15-2008, 01:24 PM
The wrestler with the flashy entrance will usally be the one who wins in the main event at Wrestlemania. John Cena had the Mustang entrance and won and Shawn had the zipline entrance versus Bret Hart and won. I cannot remember the entrances for the other Wrestlemania main events.

Xero
01-15-2008, 01:27 PM
Well, Triple H and Cena both had really flashy (and rediculous) entrances at 22(?), so it wasn't EVERY WrestleMania...

Goulet
01-15-2008, 01:32 PM
HHH has had Motorhead play him to the ring twice and he lost both times (Taker at X-seven and Batista at 21)

Xero
01-15-2008, 01:35 PM
Well, Taker/Triple H wasn't the main event.

Also, Michaels had the DX theme played live at WrestleMania 14 and he lost.

Jura
01-15-2008, 01:53 PM
Ok, exclude the live bands and does it still hold up?

BigDaddyCool
01-15-2008, 02:04 PM
When Rey came out looking like an Aztec warrior this caused Randy Orton no-showed mania and for some reason Kurt Angle vacated his title.

Xero
01-15-2008, 02:07 PM
Well, that's pretty small criteria, then. Maybe 4 events (but probably less). Like I said, both Triple H and Cena had flashy entrances at 22, so technically one of the wrestlers with a flashy entrance didn't win.

TerranRich
01-15-2008, 02:09 PM
Great. Now I gotta watch my WM Anthology DVDs to see if this is true.

BigDaddyCool
01-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Also, it is true that at Mania, everyone is going to have a slightly flashier enterance than usual.

Mr. Nerfect
01-15-2008, 04:50 PM
When Rey came out looking like an Aztec warrior this caused Randy Orton no-showed mania and for some reason Kurt Angle vacated his title.

The fans hated this. Honestly, when Rey came out looking like a goof with the Aztec shit, you could just feel people getting pissed off. Chavo saved the outcome of that match.

I don't believe it is true, although it does hold some water. I mean, take Shawn Michaels' zip-line entrance. That was done exclusively to give HBK the stage, and help him forge a connection with the crowd, I assume. To have him lose after that would not have been too wise.

On a semi-related note: I disagree with the overproduction of babyfaces. John Cena has been the biggest victim of this recently. We're meant to buy Cena as the anti-establishment badass, who doesn't care whose toes he steps on, but then he comes out with a fucking spaceship or whatever the fuck it was for his entrance? It makes him look supported and hyped up by the WWE. Sometimes you're better off not shining a million lights on a guy.

Kane Knight
01-15-2008, 05:31 PM
On a semi-related note: I disagree with the overproduction of babyfaces. John Cena has been the biggest victim of this recently. We're meant to buy Cena as the anti-establishment badass, who doesn't care whose toes he steps on, but then he comes out with a fucking spaceship or whatever the fuck it was for his entrance? It makes him look supported and hyped up by the WWE. Sometimes you're better off not shining a million lights on a guy.

Couldn't agree more. It would add some much needed credibility, or at least leech away from it less. But that's the same lesson for most of the problems with Cena, including the "Cena Overcomes the Odds! ...Again...:roll:" syndrome.

DarKCentaur
01-15-2008, 05:37 PM

I don't know what you're referring to. I remember Orton and Angle battling for the title at Wrestlemania one year, but the timekeeper lost the belt or something. I think King Booker found it a few months later though, so it was no big deal, really.

Mr. Nerfect
01-15-2008, 05:51 PM
Couldn't agree more. It would add some much needed credibility, or at least leech away from it less. But that's the same lesson for most of the problems with Cena, including the "Cena Overcomes the Odds! ...Again...:roll:" syndrome.

Exactly. If the WWE stopped trying to convince us Cena wasn't going to win, when the exact opposite is true, and they didn't make him out to be the greatest thing in the history of everything, then he'd be a lot more tolerable. There is a tasteful way to promote guys.

Some other little things that annoy me about WWE production:

* Sound effects during "live" segments. I get that these are not meant to be taken seriously, but the sound effects that you'd find in a Hornswoggle segment, or when DX have Coachman cornered in the back make it all just sound a little more scripted. When DX had the Western stand-off music playing when they had Coach cornered, I thought "Who is playing that music, and why are they on DX's side if DX are meant to be loners again the system?"

Actually, it just annoyed me that DX were able to do those things they could with technology (like drawing the rooster on-screen while Vince was talking). It made DX look either like huge nerds, or (as it was), the production crew was on their side, which is completely stupid.

* I hate it when a face wrestler wins the World Title nowadays, and there are pyro and streamers and the like. Big celebrations = heel behaviour. It works when JBL has a billion pyro to celebrate a win, because he's a self-indulged jackass who loves his feats (great and small alike) to be treated as the cure for cancer. A face should be more invested in the actual moment of being World Champion, their hard work finally paying off, and should not give a shit about wowing the fans with a celebration. The result is celebration enough. You want people to know what a trek it was to the top for the wrestler? That's why you have commentators. If JR and King can't convey what a pyro does, it's time to get rid of them.

If Jeff Hardy wins the WWE Championship at the Royal Rumble, and massive pyro goes off, I will immediately become apathetic to the guy. It's, in a way, pushing someone down your throat. It's the WWE pretty much stating "you should cheer this guy...look, fireworks!" Celebration pyros are the equivalent of a laugh track in a sitcom.

I don't mind the big celebrations at the end of WrestleMania, however. Something about it just seems right, as it's the close of the show, it's the biggest of the year, and someone is definitely coming out of WrestleMania with glory (even if they're retaining, it's going to be a big moment for someone). I wouldn't use pyros, though, as that seems to quiet the fans down. I've never know too many people to try and yell over the top of fireworks. You tend to sit in awe.

Destor
01-16-2008, 06:52 AM
I don't know what you're referring to. I remember Orton and Angle battling for the title at Wrestlemania one year, but the timekeeper lost the belt or something. I think King Booker found it a few months later though, so it was no big deal, really.
lol

Anybody Thrilla
01-16-2008, 02:13 PM

Word.

My favorite Cena entrance of all time was against Rob Van Dam at One Night Stand. No flash. No glitz. No glamor. Cena just held the belt over his head and walked straight to the ring, as if to say "boo me all you want, but I'm still the fucking champ". Pretty awesome.

Hanso Amore
01-16-2008, 03:06 PM
So you guys dont like Babyfaces getting big celebrations?

Dont most of you Jerk of thinking about Benoit/Eddy in the ring with the confetti falling?

Theo Dious
01-16-2008, 04:43 PM

Oddly enough, it was in Shane McMahon's gym bag... :shifty: