PDA

View Full Version : Is Lauren Hill the best female MC ever?

Fignuts
01-19-2008, 01:30 AM
Listening to that old fugees shit, and I swear to god she lays it down better than most of the male rappers in the industry right now. (although thats not saying much imo).

Can't think of another woman who comes close.

Lady Sovereign is fun to listen to, and all her songs have a good hook. But her lyrics aren't exactly thought provoking, and the fact that she starts out every song with her "S-O weeeeet" catchphrase is annoying as fuck.

Jeritron
01-19-2008, 02:04 AM
I'm gonna have to say no.

Lauryn Hill is the greatest female emcee ever. I've never heard of Lauren Hill, nor do I know what an MC is.

Fignuts
01-19-2008, 02:12 AM
why is it called emcee?

I dont get that.

Jeritron
01-19-2008, 02:39 AM
I was being a huge wise ass. I keed.

It's an emcee because thats another word for a host. I guess it's because they have the mic and they're talking/hosting or whatever.

Jeritron
01-19-2008, 02:41 AM
But seriously, yes I think she is. I mean, who else is gonna come close?

Bad Company
01-19-2008, 03:51 AM
I'm gonna go with Lilly Allen

ron the dial
01-19-2008, 04:57 AM
verbal attack from the likes of not one but three mcs
and it stands for malicious cobras

ct2k
01-19-2008, 06:18 AM
She's damn good, fantastic singer too, her solo album still sounds amazing ten years later:y:

The Naitch
01-19-2008, 07:00 AM
MC

Master of Ceremony

Best female MC goes to Shorty No Mass

Kris P Lettus
01-19-2008, 11:52 AM
MC

Master of Ceremony

Or Mover of the Crowd

But yeah.. Original MC's were guys who talked over DJ's to get the crowd hype..

Lauren Hill is the goods.. I've been jamming out to The Score alot lately..

:love:

Supreme Olajuwon
01-19-2008, 12:32 PM
Oh yeah she definitely is. I mean I don't know that much about female rappers, but like ct2k said, Miseducation should go down as an all time classic.

Anybody Thrilla
01-19-2008, 01:20 PM
She probably is. However, there's something to be said for MC Lyte, Foxy Brown, and Da Brat.....and even Gangsta Boo to an extent.

Anybody Thrilla
01-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Also, Ebony Eyez is pretty raw, but she hasn't really withstood the test of time just yet. She probably never will either.

Also, what about Missy Elliott?

Indifferent Clox
01-19-2008, 02:20 PM
Gonna go with M.I.A.

DaveWadding
01-19-2008, 05:51 PM
no love for Jean Grae?

Fuck you guys.

Esoteric
01-20-2008, 10:01 PM
i was going to say Jean Grae, Missy Elliott or possibly Psalm One has been showing promise

RP
01-20-2008, 10:04 PM
I'm gunna have to go with Mia X

Downunder
01-21-2008, 06:41 AM
I prefer Faith Hill.

But Lilly Allen is better than all those other tarts.

Rob
01-21-2008, 08:47 AM
Listening to that old fugees shit, and I swear to god she lays it down better than most of the male rappers in the industry right now. (although thats not saying much imo).

Can't think of another woman who comes close.

Lady Sovereign is fun to listen to, and all her songs have a good hook. But her lyrics aren't exactly thought provoking, and the fact that she starts out every song with her "S-O weeeeet" catchphrase is annoying as fuck.

Since when are rap lyrics meant to be thought provoking? 90% of rap lyrics are about being from the ghetto, from rags to richs, bling bling and all that other shit.

By the way, Lady Sov says "S-O-Veeeee". And I'd say she is better than Lauren Hill. That Fugees record came out over 10 years ago and she ain't done shit since. Best MC ever that hasn't brought out a decent song in 10 years? Come on now. And the fucking Fugees record had two other guys on it.

ct2k
01-21-2008, 09:05 AM
Since when are rap lyrics meant to be thought provoking? 90% of rap lyrics are about being from the ghetto, from rags to richs, bling bling and all that other shit.

You've clearly not listened to a whole lot of rap there:naughty:

Kris P Lettus
01-21-2008, 10:57 AM

By the way, Lady Sov says "S-O-Veeeee". And I'd say she is better than Lauren Hill. That Fugees record came out over 10 years ago and she ain't done shit since. Best MC ever that hasn't brought out a decent song in 10 years? Come on now. And the fucking Fugees record had two other guys on it.

LMFAO

Firstly, you are wrong on every point you've tried to make.. Not only are your assumptions about "rap lyrics" completely stereotypical, and ignorant but if you truly believe that, you are listening to the wrong Hip Hop..

Secondly, "she aint done shit since" is utter shit.. If winning 5 Grammies is her not doing shit, I wish Mos Def wouldn't do shit.. Yeah, she put out a groundbreaking solo album which landed her all kinds of critical acclaim and went mutiple times platinum.. She has also put out more of a folk guitar double disc, and has worked on more Fugee's shit..

Your thoughts and points behind are both closeminded and uneducated..

ron the dial
01-21-2008, 10:58 AM
lol at anyone even suggesting that lady sovereign be anywhere near the top of the list

Savio
01-21-2008, 11:11 AM
I heard shit was racist so no.

Rob
01-21-2008, 11:12 AM
When was that solo album? Ten years ago? I forgot I even owned it until I read this?

And if you are one of these people who listen to music for it's depth and meaning then good for you. I fiind it hilarious anyone listens for rap for fucking meaning. I also listen what I think sounds good.

My thoughts are closeminded and uneducated? Whatever dude.

And I couldn't give a fuck about a grammy. That was also 10 years ago. TEN YEARS AGO! Nothing new in TEN YEARS! One album in 10 years and you are considered the best in your genre of all time? I don't think so.

But then again, I'm closeminded and uneducated.

Kris P Lettus
01-21-2008, 11:15 AM
Yeah, I think all of that was rumors and there was never any proof she said anything racist..

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/lauryn.asp

It was a Howard Stern fan causing shit..

Kris P Lettus
01-21-2008, 11:17 AM
When was that solo album? Ten years ago? I forgot I even owned it until I read this?

And if you are one of these people who listen to music for it's depth and meaning then good for you. I fiind it hilarious anyone listens for rap for fucking meaning. I also listen what I think sounds good.

My thoughts are closeminded and uneducated? Whatever dude.

And I couldn't give a fuck about a grammy. That was also 10 years ago. TEN YEARS AGO! Nothing new in TEN YEARS! One album in 10 years and you are considered the best in your genre of all time? I don't think so.

But then again, I'm closeminded and uneducated.

She put out a solo double disc 5 years ago and new Fugees shit two years ago..

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT

Kris P Lettus
01-21-2008, 11:20 AM
I consider Biggie to be one of the greatest MC's of all time and he only put out two albums.. They put out a third after his death but Life After Death was the last album he actually had a hand in.. It came out over 10 years ago.. Can I not condsider him one of the best of his genre??

Your argument is shit..

Rob
01-21-2008, 11:22 AM
There was one Fugees single that fucking bombed so bad nobody even knows it came out.

And I'm looking on itunes and Wiki and see ZERO about any other new material.

Rob
01-21-2008, 11:24 AM
I consider Biggie to be one of the greatest MC's of all time and he only put out two albums.. They put out a third after his death but Life After Death was the last album he actually had a hand in.. It came out over 10 years ago.. Can I not condsider him one of the best of his genre??

Your argument is shit..

Biggie is dead and thus can't produce new music. And he produced more than one album in 10 years.

And you can consider whatever the fuck you want. Good for you. You want a grammy or something?

Kris P Lettus
01-21-2008, 11:25 AM
http://www.tower.com/details/details.cfm?wapi=106951877

ct2k
01-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Since when has musicianship been about quantity over quality?

Kris P Lettus
01-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Biggie is dead and thus can't produce new music. And he produced more than one album in 10 years.

Even if you don't consider the new Fugees shit as an album, she still released three full albums in 8 years..

The Fugees-The Score (1996)
Lauren Hill-The Miseducation of Lauren Hill (1998)
Lauren Hill "Unplugged" (2002)

You can continue to claim that these albums don't exist but you're coming off looking like an idiot because it is a fact that they do..

Kris P Lettus
01-21-2008, 11:29 AM
Since when has musicianship been about quantity over quality?

That too..

Rob
01-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Never knew we were counting the Unplugged CDs since technically it's an MTV record. And it was 13 tracks on a "Double Solo album". And that record was buried too because she was too busy flapping her gums about herself.

ct2k
01-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Miseducation is a classic, one of the best examples of modern soul as much as showcasing female MC talent

Kris P Lettus
01-21-2008, 11:32 AM
13 tracks on disc one..

9 tracks on disc two..

I own the album and some of the songs are upwards of 7 and 8 minutes..

We get it, you don't like her..

Now fuck off..

Kris P Lettus
01-21-2008, 11:35 AM
Miseducation is a classic, one of the best examples of modern soul as much as showcasing female MC talent

The simple fact that as far as I know, she's the only female to win a "Hip Hop" Grammy puts her as the front runner.. She is the only act that was considered "Hip Hop" to win multiple Grammies in one year..

Rob
01-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Even if you don't consider the new Fugees shit as an album, she still released three full albums in 8 years..

The Fugees-The Score (1996)
Lauren Hill-The Miseducation of Lauren Hill (1998)
Lauren Hill "Unplugged" (2002)

You can continue to claim that these albums don't exist but you're coming off looking like an idiot because it is a fact that they do..

Who claimed they didn't exist?

She is 1/3 of one of those albums. Unplugged was a live show recorded on a CD. WOW!

And I'm not counting quanity over quality. If she was so great, she would have produced more than 30 songs or whatever the number is. And you'd be hard pressed to find people who know more than two of her own songs. If she was so great, more people would know.

She might be good. I wouldn't debate it. Best ever? Erm.. no.

Rob
01-21-2008, 11:53 AM
13 tracks on disc one..

9 tracks on disc two..

I own the album and some of the songs are upwards of 7 and 8 minutes..

We get it, you don't like her..

Now fuck off..

7 Interludes. One intro and one outtro. Is that a lie?

Do you always put words into people's mouths when trying to sing praises for your favourites? When did I say I didn't like her or she wasn't good?

Fuck off? Nah I'm good.

Kris P Lettus
01-21-2008, 11:55 AM
Interludes were mostly spoken word poetry, which was closer to "rapping" than anything eles on the album..

Just so you know..

Rob
01-21-2008, 11:59 AM
That's fine. Not a song though.

ct2k
01-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Rob I don't see what pop recognition has to do with her being great either, or (again) how the number of songs she's produced does.

I doubt you're a fan of D'Angelo, most people I know aren't and if they've heard one of his songs probably don't even know it, he doesn't have the pop recognition save for a couple of singles here and there, I still rate him as one of the best male artists to have emerged since the early 90's. Oh and he's only released 2 studio albums in 12 years.

Indifferent Clox
01-21-2008, 02:45 PM
Rob go out (or online and illegelly) and immediatly pick up the following:

Sage Francis, Atmosphere, Alias, Louis Logic, Aesop Rock, Dose One

Yeah most fucking rappers on the radio are shit. But same with rock. For every Nas there is a 50 cent but in rock for every white stripes there is a nickel back... so

Rob
01-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Rob I don't see what pop recognition has to do with her being great either, or (again) how the number of songs she's produced does.

I doubt you're a fan of D'Angelo, most people I know aren't and if they've heard one of his songs probably don't even know it, he doesn't have the pop recognition save for a couple of singles here and there, I still rate him as one of the best male artists to have emerged since the early 90's. Oh and he's only released 2 studio albums in 12 years.

I never said anything about pop recognition. KP brought up winning Grammies by the way. Nobody has asked my opinion on her but I think she is a talented girl. However I think that GREAT artists produce quality on a regular basis. Would you call Cristiano Ronaldo an all time great player if he had one great season and then didn't play football again for 10 years?

Oh and I know D'Angelo and wouldn't call him a great either. But that's opinion. I'm not asking anyone to agree with it.

Indifferent Clox
01-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Oh and check out M.I.A.

she's pretty wonderful, tbh.

Anybody Thrilla
01-21-2008, 04:03 PM
Brown Sugar babe
I gets high off your love, don't know how to behave

Anybody Thrilla
01-21-2008, 04:03 PM
Also, "Shitdamnmotherfucker" is a D'Angelo classic.

Rob, you are out of your mind on this matter, by the way.

ct2k
01-21-2008, 04:05 PM
I never said anything about pop recognition. KP brought up winning Grammies by the way. Nobody has asked my opinion on her but I think she is a talented girl. However I think that GREAT artists produce quality on a regular basis. Would you call Cristiano Ronaldo an all time great player if he had one great season and then didn't play football again for 10 years?

Oh and I know D'Angelo and wouldn't call him a great either. But that's opinion. I'm not asking anyone to agree with it.

Its not necessarily about liking someone or a band but appreciating good song writing, vocal talent and musicianship, he's got all 3 in abundance which is why I rate him so highly.

I can appreciate Trent Reznor's obvious talents in the above catagories too, the fact that I don't care much for what he produces with said talents isn't as relevent in this whole debate because it is opinion.

Kris P Lettus
01-21-2008, 04:06 PM
I use to :heart: D'Angelo.. Shitdamnmotherfucker was the one off Brown Sugar about catching some dude with his wife, right??

His cover of Crusin is outstanding..

ct2k
01-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Can't wait for the fuckers new shit, its been 8 damn years:foc:

Kris P Lettus
01-21-2008, 04:10 PM
Voodoo was good too.. It had that track with Red and Meth..

:cool:

Indifferent Clox
01-21-2008, 04:10 PM
Also Rob, how do you feel about God? I mean what's he done in the last 1500 years?

Fignuts
01-21-2008, 08:55 PM
guys guys guys watch this

Hey Rob

Bret Hart sucks

Rob
01-22-2008, 05:03 PM
guys guys guys watch this

Hey Rob

Bret Hart sucks

Goddamnfuckingtwobobcuntfacebitch!!!!

Erm... who cares?