PDA

View Full Version : The 2008 Academy Awards thread.

ClockShot
01-22-2008, 09:20 AM
Nominations were announced this morning. They are......

. Best Picture: "Atonement," "Juno," "Michael Clayton," "No Country for Old Men," "There Will Be Blood."

2. Actor: George Clooney, "Michael Clayton"; Daniel Day-Lewis, "There Will Be Blood"; Johnny Depp, "Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street"; Tommy Lee Jones, "In the Valley of Elah"; Viggo Mortensen, "Eastern Promises."

3. Actress: Cate Blanchett, "Elizabeth: The Golden Age"; Julie Christie, "Away From Her"; Marion Cotillard, "La Vie en Rose"; Laura Linney, "The Savages"; Ellen Page, "Juno."

4. Supporting Actor: Casey Affleck, "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"; Javier Bardem, "No Country for Old Men"; Hal Holbrook, "Into the Wild"; Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Charlie Wilson's War"; Tom Wilkinson, "Michael Clayton."

5. Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett, "I'm Not There"; Ruby Dee, "American Gangster"; Saoirse Ronan, "Atonement"; Amy Ryan, "Gone Baby Gone"; Tilda Swinton, "Michael Clayton."

6. Director: Julian Schnabel, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"; Jason Reitman, "Juno"; Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton"; Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"; Paul Thomas Anderson, "There Will Be Blood."

7. Foreign Film: "Beaufort," Israel; "The Counterfeiters," Austria; "Katyn," Poland; "Mongol," Kazakhstan; "12," Russia.

8. Adapted Screenplay: Christopher Hampton, "Atonement"; Sarah Polley, "Away from Her"; Ronald Harwood, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"; Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"; Paul Thomas Anderson, "There Will Be Blood."

9. Original Screenplay: Diablo Cody, "Juno"; Nancy Oliver, "Lars and the Real Girl"; Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton"; Brad Bird, Jan Pinkava and Jim Capobianco, "Ratatouille"; Tamara Jenkins, "The Savages."

10. Animated Feature Film: "Persepolis"; "Ratatouille"; "Surf's Up."

11. Art Direction: "American Gangster," "Atonement," "The Golden Compass," "Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street," "There Will Be Blood."

12. Cinematography: "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford," "Atonement," "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," "No Country for Old Men," "There Will Be Blood."

13. Sound Mixing: "The Bourne Ultimatum," "No Country for Old Men," "Ratatouille," "3:10 to Yuma," "Transformers."

14. Sound Editing: "The Bourne Ultimatum," "No Country for Old Men," "Ratatouille," "There Will Be Blood," "Transformers."

15. Original Score: "Atonement," Dario Marianelli; "The Kite Runner," Alberto Iglesias; "Michael Clayton," James Newton Howard; "Ratatouille," Michael Giacchino; "3:10 to Yuma," Marco Beltrami.

16. Original Song: "Falling Slowly" from "Once," Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova; "Happy Working Song" from "Enchanted," Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz; "Raise It Up" from "August Rush," Nominees to be determined; "So Close" from "Enchanted," Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz; "That's How You Know" from "Enchanted," Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz.

17. Costume: "Across the Universe," "Atonement," "Elizabeth: The Golden Age," "La Vie en Rose," "Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street."

18. Documentary Feature: "No End in Sight," "Operation Homecoming: Writing the Wartime Experience," "Sicko," "Taxi to the Dark Side," "War/Dance."

19. Documentary (short subject): "Freeheld," "La Corona (The Crown)," "Salim Baba," "Sari's Mother."

20. Film Editing: "The Bourne Ultimatum," "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," "Into the Wild," "No Country for Old Men," "There Will Be Blood."

21. Makeup: "La Vie en Rose," "Norbit," "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End."

22. Animated Short Film: "I Met the Walrus," "Madame Tutli-Putli," "Meme Les Pigeons Vont au Paradis (Even Pigeons Go to Heaven)," "My Love (Moya Lyubov)," "Peter & the Wolf."

23. Live Action Short Film: "At Night," "Il Supplente (The Substitute)," "Le Mozart des Pickpockets (The Mozart of Pickpockets)," "Tanghi Argentini," "The Tonto Woman."

24. Visual Effects: "The Golden Compass," "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End," "Transformers."

Bo
01-22-2008, 09:58 AM
What the hell, no 3:10 to Yuma any where ? That sucks but I was pulling for No Country for best picture anyway.

G
01-22-2008, 02:21 PM
omg i am so excited

Tornado
01-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Wow, 4 nominations for Juno

ClockShot
01-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Indy flicks are pretty much running this show this time around.

Still waiting for There Will Be Blood to hit my area. They gotta boot Atonement from the local theatres ASAP.

Triple A
01-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Juno is so overrated wtf. I don't understand. It was good but best picture now? Come on.

There Will be Blood and No Country for Old Men = 2 best movies of the year easy. Fucking amazing moviesssssssssss

I still haven't seen Atonement but I downloaded it. That should be good too.

Michael Clayton, I dunno, I have no real interest in that movie but the "industry" seems to love it.

Blue Demon
01-22-2008, 03:18 PM
What the hell, no 3:10 to Yuma any where ? That sucks but I was pulling for No Country for best picture anyway.

Ya....I'm kinda surprised that 3:10 doesn't have anything either.

Blitz
01-22-2008, 03:25 PM
I'm hoping No Country takes Best Picture, but I'm thinking There Will Be Blood could steal it. Daniel Day-Lewis takes Best Actor, Julie Christie probably takes Best Actress, but I'm pulling for Ellen Page, her performance made that flick. Javier Bardem easily takes Supporting Actor, and I'm gonna say Cate Blanchett for Supporting Actress.

Heros Welcome
01-22-2008, 03:42 PM
For best picture I have only been able to see one of them, that being Juno, but have heard great things about No Country For Old Men and Michael Clayton. So even though its a little biased LETS GO JUNO!

Also I hope Ellen Page pulls it off and get best Actress, like blitz said, she made the movie.

And being a big Depp fan, and feeling that Sweeney Todd was the best movie of 07, hopin he takes best actor.

The Lone Wolf
01-22-2008, 06:04 PM
Depp all the way for best actor

ClockShot
01-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Well. 3:10 to Yuma is in there for Original Score and Sound Mixing. Hope isn't lost yet.

Bazooka
01-22-2008, 08:11 PM
Best picture: American Gangster
Best Director: Ridley Scott

my bias is that I have not had the interest to see any of the movies nominated for best picture, I'll get around to watching a few of them. The Kingdom was great too!

loopydate
01-22-2008, 08:22 PM
Pretty predictable nominees this year, actually.

I'm a little surprised Cate Blanchett got nominated for Best Actress, because I figured the Academy wouldn't want to nominate her twice (not that it's unheard of), and her work in I'm Not There is getting such better reviews than Elizabeth. Plus, she was already nominated for playing the same character once.

Also, I was expecting Joe Wright to be nominated for Director, since Atonement seems like one of the Best Picture front-runners. A little surprised he was left out instead of Reitman, since almost all of the buzz around Juno was regarding its performances and its screenplay. There's usually one disparity between Picture and Director, I was expecting it to be Juno, not Atonement.

Personal preference would have seen Aaron Sorkin's screenplay for Charlie Wilson's War nominated. A little surprised to see Sarah Polley in that category, since - again - most of the buzz seems to be around Julie Christie, not so much the script. I'm a huge Sorkin fan and thought he had a really good shot at a nomination this year.

Anyway, predictions (only the categories I know anything about):

Picture: No Country for Old Men
Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis
Actress: Marion Cotillard
Supporting Actor: Javier Bardem
Supporting Actress: Amy Ryan
Director: Paul Thomas Anderson
Adapted Screenplay: No Country for Old Men
Original Screenplay: Juno
Animated Feature Film: Persepolis
Art Direction: The Golden Compass (not a very good movie, but it's BEAUTIFUL)
Cinematography: Atonement
Sound Mixing: Transformers
Sound Editing: No Country for Old Men
Original Score: Ratatouille
Original Song: That's How You Know
Costume: Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Documentary Feature: No End in Sight
Film Editing: Into the Wild
Makeup: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Visual Effects: Transformers

KingofOldSchool
01-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Man, Into The Wild got the shaft.

Avenger
01-24-2008, 12:13 AM
Cate Blanchett will win either Actress or Supporting Actress for sure.

DrA
01-24-2008, 02:07 AM
I haven't seen a whole bunch of these movies this year, but I am glad that Juno and Sweeney Todd got some nominations this year. I thought that No Country for Old Men was a bit over-rated, but I'm not surprised that it got the nominations that it got.

I now want to see There Will Be Blood, knowing more about it now. Maybe tomorrow.

#1-norm-fan
01-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Every song from the "Walk Hard" soundtrack should have been nominated for Original Song. :mad:

ClockShot
02-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Figure this deserves a bump cause it's on TONIGHT!

CSL
02-24-2008, 05:07 PM
Gonna stay up and watch this even though I gotta be up in the a.m

Avenger
02-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Where's Transformers?

Loose Cannon
02-25-2008, 11:25 AM
The song that won is a great song. I hadn't heard it before last night and really liked it

Blitz
02-25-2008, 01:15 PM
Once is a great movie. Needs more attention.

ClockShot
02-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Other than the surprise of Marion Cotillard winning Best Actress, the show in general was pretty "blah". Would have loved to play Wii Tennis on that giant screen.

Blue Demon
02-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Day-Lewis definitely deserved it.

Bazooka
02-25-2008, 10:53 PM
ya DDL was very deserving! overall the show was fairly dull, I guess the writers didn't get to put much time into it. All in all, it needed more humour.

lol, more Wii tetris would have been more entertaining.

Jeritron
02-26-2008, 03:52 AM
Juno is so overrated wtf. I don't understand. It was good but best picture now? Come on.

There Will be Blood and No Country for Old Men = 2 best movies of the year easy. Fucking amazing moviesssssssssss

I still haven't seen Atonement but I downloaded it. That should be good too.

Michael Clayton, I dunno, I have no real interest in that movie but the "industry" seems to love it.

The "industry" loves pretentious crap like Atonement, but I highly reccomend Michael Clayton dude. It's excellent.