PDA

View Full Version : Hot Water Music Reunion

St. Jimmy
01-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Yeah, you knew the gravel-throated patron saints of Gainesville rock weren't done. Not even the success of The Draft (http://www.thedraftband.com/) and expatriate guitarist Chuck Ragan's (http://www.chuckraganmusic.com/) solo material could keep 'em away. And not just because there's a new No Idea (http://www.noidearecords.com/) collection coming out, or because they could sell out just about anything short of a LiveNation amphitheater – you knew they'd be back because these four guys simply cannot say no to the large and insanely loyal fan base that's nurtured them over a decade.

Plus, they've done this, like, two or three times by now, right? So you know this isn't just a one-off reunion, and Hot Water will be back up to for-real full speed in no time.

Right?

In a candid e-mail exchange about his and Hot Water Music's past, present and future, Ragan says... maybe.

Or maybe not.
REAX: How has your time away from the band affected your perspective of Hot Water Music?
Chuck Ragan: In so many ways it’s changed perspective on everything. Not just with HWM but in life and friendship in general. That was the initial goal for me of taking a step back, as it was, so it’s worked out. When the time came where I felt I had to step away, it was one of the hardest decisions I’ve ever had to make. It was also not easily accepted at all by many in the HWM circle, which made it quite harder than it should’ve been, living and working within a circle where any one person’s decision can affect everyone else’s. It’s a huge amount of weight to carry for anyone in that position and more pressure than I’ve ever known in my life. I came to a point where I felt I was heading in a stagnant direction, and in the process of it all I felt constantly conflicted. I didn’t like what I was becoming and how everything was orchestrated as a whole. I see now that getting away was crucial to hold together my own beliefs, the bond that I have with the guys as well as all our friends and fans. I became very bitter towards the end and had a hard time standing up in front of people singing of honesty and unity when most of the time my heart and mind were elsewhere. When that came about, I knew that if I continued I would just be pulling one over on myself, my friends, and everyone who cared about HWM, canceling out everything that we’ve worked at for the past decade. Sometimes it takes stepping out of the big picture to see and understand it more clearly.

REAX: Has being away been as important as working on your solo material?
CR: It’s a huge reason why there is solo material. They’ve been equally important. I think that all of this has been another page in the book entirely, just a simple progression. Me with my releases, the boys with The Draft as well as Chris and his solo stuff. The solo music is my top priority right now, and that’s not changing anytime soon. We’ve got quite an agenda for this next year, and the years after, with my own music, work, and life at home.

REAX: The band has taken several hiatuses over the course of its existence. Is it fair to say they’ve become a part of Hot Water’s process?
CR: I believe they’ve been a crucial part of our survival as friends and musicians. After our first breakup in the late 90’s, we always said it was the smartest thing we had ever done as a band. It kept everything we had done, were doing, and aspired to do, honest and real. That’s a quintessential step for any artist or band, to know your limitations and know the grounds you stand on. If that’s not clear, you end up risking the life and the morals of the project. If those two things fail, all you have is motions with a lack of substance. It’s all for nothing, unless you’re in it for other reasons.

REAX: Given the fans’ commitment to the band and the grueling schedule/emotional output HWM takes, it seems like this kind of outfit might need those breaks as a symbol of control as much as anything else - exercising your power, reminding yourselves that this is still “your” thing before it’s anybody else’s. Do you ever think about it in those terms?
CR: Sure. We always did and it was definitely a fine line. We were lucky and blessed enough to have a massive amount of good people to pour their hearts out to us. The reasons that those people continued to do so varied, but the majority of them were there because of a few simple reasons. It was just us up there on the stage doing the same thing that a lot of people would do if they could, just playing what we could play the best we could play it. I think it was that honesty and realness that kept people coming back. It’s what kept the four of us coming back as well because that was exactly what we got out of our shows too. There were always unbelievable moments, but there were also times where one or even all of us had to evaluate why we were there and what we were doing. It’s so easy to get caught up in the road life and being in a band. Your crowd loves it. The labels love it, and so do the magazines. Your loved ones, they love and support you, and tell you to keep doing what you love and they’ll see you next year, but they stay absent in many ways. And you are absent in many ways through many days of funerals, births, weddings, reunions, anniversaries, walks, baseball games or graduations. It’s a fine line and a tremendous amount of pressure when you’re living to try to please everyone else. So it’s important to constantly evaluate yourself and strive to go for it with the right intentions and reasons. If a breakup is needed, so be it. If you’ve lived this way and have become sick and tired, you’ve worked for it and you deserve it.

REAX: Do you find you have to reach a balance between what the band members themselves want to do? What outside forces influence what the band does - touring opportunities, fan pressure, etc?
CR: Yes, but as far as a process, at this point it doesn’t play too much of a role at all. At least not to me. I’m looking forward to these shows, but have no plans for anything else with HWM right now. No tours, no records, not any other shows. I know the pressure to do more will be immense all over again ... but we have no choice but to strive for a balance between work and play since we can’t have one without the other! That’s the struggle in this business for sure. Right now with HWM, our main objective is to just have some fun! It’s been a long time and we’re looking forward to coming together to play some old songs, have a blast with each other and old friends, and maybe make a little money along the way. Since we came out and announced shows there have been a lot of great offers and opportunities that have presented themselves, but we’re just taking it easy right now and coming together for these shows alone. We’re older now and have quite a bit going on aside from HWM so yes, balance is crucial right now.

REAX: Do you ever find yourself looking back over the band’s span so far and noticing things you didn’t consider at the time - how influential the band has become, the crazy loyalty of the fans, the stylistic leaps and developments you made as musicians?
CR: I know we influenced a few bands out there. We appreciate that, and are proud to be a part of the cycle, just as we were once kids listening, or playing, to old bands we loved and aspired to be. As far as stylistic developments I would say, other than George’s awesome hairstyles over the years, we weren’t doing much that hadn’t been done.

I think about the crowd from time to time. In fact, more than anything I think about the crowd and the loyalty of the fans and friends that have become a part of this movement. We always felt like the luckiest band in the world to have such amazing people backing our shows and spending their energy, time, and money to come sweat and sing their hearts out with us. It kept us going and was a great part in what made us who we are as people and musicians. We always believed that the people who supported us the way they did were just as much a part of HWM as we were.

REAX: I understand you probably haven’t even thought this far ahead, and it’s been said that you and The Draft will each continue separate projects. But does the fact that Hot Water has taken time off only to return time and again bode well for activity beyond this handful of shows?
CR: Not necessarily. I have a lot on my plate for 2008 supporting the latest Sideonedummy (http://www.sideonedummy.com/bands.php?bandname=ChuckRagan) release Feast or Famine, along with a new record I just did with Austin Lucas and friends called Bristle Ridge. Along with that, my wife Jill and I are starting a lil’ mom and pop web store and label to release Bristle Ridge and our own stuff. All of that is happening in the spring. After that, I’ll be writing for the next Sideonedummy record that I plan on recording next winter.

If shows come around that make sense for us to do, then possibly. I don’t ever care to be back in the place where we were some years ago, killing ourselves on the road with no control over the year to come. I choose to become as self-sufficient and independent as I possibly can. There are no plans right now for anything other than these shows and South by Southwest in March. Until then, we’ll take it as it comes and have a good time doing it!

Yeah, Short HWM Tour. FUCK YES.