PDA

View Full Version : "Rowdy" Roddy Piper

NeanderCarl
01-28-2008, 10:29 PM
I'd love to see this dude get himself in shape and have one last full time run, maybe with the Intercontinental championship. As he is now, no way, but if he can get himself looking halfway decent....

McLegend
01-28-2008, 10:33 PM
Hes too old.

Marc the Smark
01-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Hes too old.

Considering Flair went so long I'm sure Piper could go a little longer, too.

McLegend
01-28-2008, 10:38 PM
No

NeanderCarl
01-28-2008, 10:41 PM
He looks quite young for his age whenever he's clean shaven, such as at the Rumble.

If he lost weight, I'd bet he could move just as well as Flair, plus even in his prime it was never about what happened between the ropes... Piper is the king of the stick and could really help get some feuds and up-and-comers over, and bring some attention to the IC title.

JT
01-28-2008, 10:42 PM
Yes.

I love Piper...I love him on the mic...I like on the show...I just don't like him with his shirt off.

McLegend
01-28-2008, 10:57 PM
He looks quite young for his age whenever he's clean shaven, such as at the Rumble.

If he lost weight, I'd bet he could move just as well as Flair, plus even in his prime it was never about what happened between the ropes... Piper is the king of the stick and could really help get some feuds and up-and-comers over, and bring some attention to the IC title.

No he couldn't. He's a 50 year old man that hasn't a regular schedule in like 10-15 years. He would look terrible wrestling.

If you want him as a promo guy or manger then thats great, but lets not put him in the ring more then like 6 times a year.

NeanderCarl
01-28-2008, 11:09 PM
He couldn't look any worse than he has since 1992, which was his last decent year... and even back in his prime he was never tremendous. It's all about the intangibles.

A halfway fit Piper in his 50s is still worth a hundred Snitskys, Khalis, Mark Henrys and Big Daddy V's.

Actually, saying that... a hundred Snitskys, Khalis, Mark Henrys and Big Daddy Vs would make for a rather bizarre 400 man battle royal which may be worth a few bob to watch out of curiosity... bah, you know what I mean.

McLegend
01-28-2008, 11:10 PM
But being worth more then 100 Snitskys, Khalis, Mark Henrys and Big Daddy V's still isn't much.

Dave Youell
01-29-2008, 05:45 AM
In a word, no.

He looked horrible at the rumble, he’d have to work his ass off for a year to get in decent shape, plus the guy has just gotten over cancer ffs!

Mr. JL
01-29-2008, 06:47 AM
The WWE has plenty of young talent that should be pushed instead.

I can see the WWE using Piper as a manager for someone lacking any mic skills, but beyond that they should just stick to his 5 appearences a year deal.

Dave Youell
01-29-2008, 07:39 AM
The only problem with Piper managing anyone is, he will take heat away from who he manages as he’s a bigger name, it happened with O’Haire

.44 Magdalene
01-29-2008, 07:49 AM
I'm highly of the opinion that Piper should be a commentator.

Mr. JL
01-29-2008, 08:06 AM
The only problem with Piper managing anyone is, he will take heat away from who he manages as he’s a bigger name, it happened with O’Haire

Yeah, that is a great point.

DAMN iNATOR
01-29-2008, 01:11 PM
No he couldn't. He's a 50 year old man that hasn't a regular schedule in like 10-15 years. He would look terrible wrestling.

If you want him as a promo guy or manger then thats great, but lets not put him in the ring more then like 6 times a year.

So? If Flair beats Kennedy at No Way Out and can make it to the 2/25 RAW without being retired, he’ll still be wrestling the day he turns 59...and Vince is like 62 or 63 and he still wrestles the occasional match and look at the kind of shape HE's in...

BigDaddyCool
01-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Did piper ever do anything besides talk and hit polynesians with coconuts?

Blue Demon
01-29-2008, 01:40 PM
In terms of managers, I wish there could be someone as great as Freddie Blassie.

NeanderCarl
01-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Heenan was better.

There, I said it.

BigDaddyCool
01-29-2008, 01:50 PM
Heyman is the best manager.

NeanderCarl
01-29-2008, 01:56 PM
It's a testament to Heenan that a man so genuinely comically gifted could still manage to generate so much heat. It wasn't cheap heat, and there was no denying his quick wit and delivery, yet still could turn the crowd against him as if he were Son Of Hitler.

Bit like Piper, really.

wwe2222
01-29-2008, 03:09 PM
I'm highly of the opinion that Piper should be a commentator.

I enjoyed his time as a commentator in the early 90s

McLegend
01-29-2008, 03:25 PM
So? If Flair beats Kennedy at No Way Out and can make it to the 2/25 RAW without being retired, he’ll still be wrestling the day he turns 59...and Vince is like 62 or 63 and he still wrestles the occasional match and look at the kind of shape HE's in...

But Flair still wrestlers, and looks better then Piper anyway.

Tommy Gunn
01-29-2008, 06:02 PM
I watched Piper in 'They Live' recently, think it was made around 87, he looked great and really played a good badass. I'm ashamed to say I didn't see much of his early wrestling, the last time I saw him wrestle before his semi-retirement was on WCW.

6to1
01-29-2008, 07:39 PM
I enjoyed his time as a commentator in the early 90s

i saw old 83 nwa wrestling he was a commentator then, he kicked ass at it. i want to see him get one of the top 3 belts in the wwe even if it is the ecw belt, i hate that piper is the best wrestler never to get a top belt.

Zen v.W.o.
01-29-2008, 11:40 PM
Piper is far more entertaining than anyone they currently have on their roster right now anyways, the man is a fucking legend the likes of which none of us have been able to see surpassed.

I doubt Piper would care to get into good enough shape to wrestle on a heavier schedule, but if he did, hey, all the power to him, he'd rule the school.

KYR
01-30-2008, 12:47 AM
Sorry Carl. I agree with a lot of what you say but on this I have to disagree.

Mr JL echoes my sentiments in so far as they should be pushing the younger talent than falling back on the old guys.

Piper's had his day. In fact I tend to cringe when some of the old guys come back to wrestle guest appearances e.g. Snuka, Slaughter & co - I mean how bad was that Battle Royal on Raw's 15th Anniversary show - most of them couldn't even get over the top rope.

No. Let's savour the memories of their glory days rather than be embarassed by their short-lived returns.

Fox
01-30-2008, 01:35 AM
He couldn't look any worse than he has since 1992, which was his last decent year... and even back in his prime he was never tremendous. It's all about the intangibles.

You honestly think that 16 years doesn't make a difference on the human body? Of course it does. Roddy Piper couldn't work in the late 90's when he went up against Hollywood Hogan and the nWo, and THAT was his last decent year.

The man has a hip that is fucked up beyond all belief. He can't work a regular schedule; no way. Why do you think he only lasted in the Rumble for as short a time as he did?

Verbose Minch
01-30-2008, 03:02 AM
i hate that piper is the best wrestler never to get a top belt.

Jake 'The Snake' Roberts would like to have a word with you.

NeanderCarl
01-30-2008, 08:25 AM
You honestly think that 16 years doesn't make a difference on the human body? Of course it does. Roddy Piper couldn't work in the late 90's when he went up against Hollywood Hogan and the nWo, and THAT was his last decent year.

The man has a hip that is fucked up beyond all belief. He can't work a regular schedule; no way. Why do you think he only lasted in the Rumble for as short a time as he did?

Piper knows how to make a little go a long way. The issue is his appearance more so than his physical condition. I am aware of his hip replacement and the fact that he is shot, but still he continues to get in the ring. If he will continue wrestling from time to time anyway, I'm just saying if he got himself looking halfway decent he's worth another run. Not on top, but in the mid card. Plus, losing the gut would be a lot easier on his hip anyway, and would increase his mobility with less strain.

By regular schedule, I don't mean house shows too. Just TVs and PPV... he wouldn't even have to wrestle that frequently, just do a lot of talking and angles to build up his next IC title defence. Maybe only step in the ring like once a month, but make appearances on a weekly basis.

Fox
01-30-2008, 04:13 PM
I get what you're saying, and yeah, nostalgia is great (who enjoyed Sting's return? I did.), but I would be so against seeing Roddy Piper as the InterContinental Champion when guys like Shelton Benjamin, Kenny Dykstra, and even CM Punk could be using that space to build themselves up.

Theo Dious
01-30-2008, 08:32 PM
i hate that piper is the best wrestler never to get a top belt.

Jake "The Snake" Roberts would like to have a word with you.

Ted DiBiase would like to have words with both of you.

NeanderCarl
01-31-2008, 08:44 AM
I get what you're saying, and yeah, nostalgia is great (who enjoyed Sting's return? I did.), but I would be so against seeing Roddy Piper as the InterContinental Champion when guys like Shelton Benjamin, Kenny Dykstra, and even CM Punk could be using that space to build themselves up.

I get your point, about building for the future rather than falling back to the past, but I'm suggesting this as a way TO build to the future. Put the IC title on Kenny Dykstra and, through no fault of his own - just his inexperience, he would not know how to bring any credibility or interest to the belt. It would just be another guy walking around wearing the prop.

For the guys you mentioned, working with a vet like Piper would be a learning experience... not for workrate in the ring, but for other little nuances, how to build character, how to read the audience, psychology, charisma, how to get yourself and your angle over... if Piper has four or five feuds during his title reign, that's four or five less experienced guys who will be better performers afterwards (in theory, anyway). Plus a long title reign for the vet, in addition to bringing interest to the IC title, guarantees a ticket to get over to the guy who eventually beats him for it.

Kenny Dykstra walking around with an IC title he just wrangled away from Roddy Piper after six months is worth a lot more to Kenny than walking around with an IC title he just won off, say, The Miz who won it two weeks before off Shelton, who had held it for 3 weeks after beating Santino... and so on.

NeanderCarl
01-31-2008, 08:51 AM
For a championship reign to have effect, a guy needs to get over, then win the belt rather than win the belt and hope to get over because of it. People should be clamouring to see him win the belt and be overjoyed/infuriated when he does (depending on the face/heel divide, of course).

Just throwing a guy like Dykstra the IC title won't help him "build himself up"... he needs to do that first, THEN win the title.

A good (not great, but good) example is MVP winning the US title from Chris Benoit last year.

A better example is Bill Goldberg beating Hollywood Hogan... number one, because there was a long reigning champion that EVERYBODY wanted to see get beaten, and number two because Goldberg had gotten over in his own right before hand... combine the two, hey presto.

NeanderCarl
01-31-2008, 07:49 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ksYTu3Njs3w&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ksYTu3Njs3w&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Reckon Piper could ever get in this kind of condition again?? Certainly the most ripped I ever saw him.

Check out his John Morrison abs... :lol: nowadays, he's got Van Morrison abs.

Stickman
02-01-2008, 01:39 PM
There's no way he should wrestle again, but an announcer, Piper's Pit kinda thing would be great.

The Gold Standard
02-01-2008, 01:44 PM
Didn't he just have a stroke? I don't think he can wrestle. I think it would be great if he would've become the Smackdown Color Announcer though.

NeanderCarl
02-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Didn't he just have a stroke? I don't think he can wrestle. I think it would be great if he would've become the Smackdown Color Announcer though.

A stroke? You might be thinking of Lex Luger.

Piper can still wrestle, as evidenced by his (admittedly short) showing at last Sunday's Royal Rumble. Probably not a full-time schedule or a long singles match, but he can still get in the ring.

Chavo Classic
02-01-2008, 06:37 PM

:y:

There's no chance he could put together a run, never mind a run as IC titleholder. Unless you want him to be a physical a champion as Pacman Jones in TNA was

Stickman
02-01-2008, 06:56 PM
Got to admit, he probably had the best entrance of his era.

The Gold Standard
02-02-2008, 02:46 AM
My fault. But wasn't he just in the hospital over the past year?

FourFifty
02-02-2008, 02:56 AM
My fault. But wasn't he just in the hospital over the past year?

If it was more than 2 weeks ago it never happened.

NeanderCarl
02-02-2008, 11:43 AM
He had cancer but he beat it, that was late 2006.

Jura
02-02-2008, 03:18 PM
I used to call him Roddy Roddy Piper.

NeanderCarl
02-02-2008, 03:21 PM
I think he had Good Hodgkin's.

Mr. Nerfect
02-03-2008, 08:22 AM
I never watched during his prime, but apparently he was great. The operative word being there is was. I was not into his tag team run with Ric Flair, and I was not into him getting into the Rumble besides a younger wrestler.

If Piper were to come back in an in-ring capacity, I'd rather it be in a tag team with Drew McIntyre, as he is a young talent that could use the rub of working with someone as over as Piper can be.

Sean O'Haire was interesting without Roddy Piper, and their alignment made no sense. Piper taking McIntyre under his wing makes some sense, if just for ethnic pride. Piper could bad mouth Dave Taylor, who could move over to RAW for a few weeks to work some matches with Piper, where McIntyre has to choose between the two. They could work a few matches with The Highlanders, etc.

There is a place for Piper, but I think the attention needs to be on someone else to justify him being around.