PDA

View Full Version : Worst Rumble ever?

Bad Company
01-29-2008, 08:06 AM
It just felt wrong. Cena winning wasn't so bad, but the whole rumble was blatant shit.

But I have to say, there were a few people who really stood out to me in that rumble.

Codey Rhodes
Bobcore
Jim Morrison
Batista
Michaels + Taker, for carrying the whole thing.

And that's about it. It felt like Jobber Central, and when we had the "suprises" (woohoo snuka and piper?) they were pretty much in and out. No way you could drink to too much rediculous shit at that rumble.

Also Michaels spent more time lying on the ground than anyone, I'm sure.

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
01-29-2008, 08:33 AM
Considering all the big men in the match (Taker, Batista, Khali, Kane, Snitsky, Umaga, Big Daddy V, Mark Henry), there weren't nearly enough dramatic staredowns for my liking. The crowd always dig those things.

Londoner
01-29-2008, 08:41 AM
Its cause they wanted it to be all about cena/hhh at the end.

.44 Magdalene
01-29-2008, 09:14 AM
Its cause the entire fucking rumble could be summarized, if not replaced, with cena/hhh at the end.

Inadequacy
01-29-2008, 09:47 AM
By the end of it I was sick of how many times people "almost went over."
Also I would have liked to see Shelton Benjamin last longer.
And I totally hated the final four this year, there was no one I would have liked to win from a mark standpoint.

Inadequacy
01-29-2008, 09:47 AM
Gosh, I hope I don't come off as that whiny in real life

BigDaddyCool
01-29-2008, 10:01 AM
Being this is the only Royal Rumble I've watched it is the best and worst rumble I ever saw. Are you asking about the actaul match or the entire ppv? Because the PPV kinda sucked.

Skull316
01-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Really, Triple H's facial expression when Cena came in and then Cena coming in and leveling everyone gave me a flashback to Undertaker's Judgment Day return during Triple H/Rock Iron man. Triple H gives a "what the fuck?" look but then turns around and ignores the guy once he gets in the ring til more people have cleared out.

NeanderCarl
01-29-2008, 10:10 AM
Being this is the only Royal Rumble I've watched it is the best and worst rumble I ever saw. Are you asking about the actaul match or the entire ppv? Because the PPV kinda sucked.

This is the only Rumble you've ever watched?? :eek:

Do yourself a favour and check out the Rumbles from 1992, 1997 and 2001.

NeanderCarl
01-29-2008, 10:11 AM
As for worst Rumble ever... no chance. That "honour" goes to Royal Rumble 1995 and will be hard to beat.

The Lone Wolf
01-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Yeah if this was the worst rumble you ever saw you need to watch more of them. In fact, i thought that this was one of the best rumbles ever. And if you want to talk about jobber city check out the participants from the 2000 rumble.

Loose Cannon
01-29-2008, 10:30 AM
As for worst Rumble ever... no chance. That "honour" goes to Royal Rumble 1995 and will be hard to beat.

haha, when I saw this thread, this is the one I thought of. Yes, it was a terrible Rumble, but for me, the last 5 minutes saved the entire thing. That Rumble had one of the best endings ever

Dave Youell
01-29-2008, 10:34 AM
95 was when they were low on talent and brought in loads of Mexican's right?

BigDaddyCool
01-29-2008, 10:43 AM
This is the only Rumble you've ever watched?? :eek:

Do yourself a favour and check out the Rumbles from 1992, 1997 and 2001.

I don't think I really started watching till 97...and back then I was in highschool and lived with my folks, and they would only on a rare occasion let me get a ppv even when I offered to pay for it. Anyhow, now I live by with my girlfriend in out own apartment and I can stay up till midnight and have icecream for dinner...I mean order ppvs when ever I think I have money to throw away. But I tend to get each ppv at a reduced price because Comcast always fucks up my orders.

Anybody Thrilla
01-29-2008, 10:45 AM
I think enjoyment of wrestling has to do a lot with how you watch it. I was wasted in Las Vegas in a huge theatre, and it was the most fun I've ever had watching a Rumble. As far as actual quality though, I STILL think it was pretty damn good. The whole PPV was.

Innovator
01-29-2008, 10:47 AM
I don't think I really started watching till 97...and back then I was in highschool and lived with my folks, and they would only on a rare occasion let me get a ppv even when I offered to pay for it. Anyhow, now I live by with my girlfriend in out own apartment and I can stay up till midnight and have icecream for dinner...I mean order ppvs when ever I think I have money to throw away. But I tend to get each ppv at a reduced price because Comcast always fucks up my orders.
you can go to dailymotion and find all the rumbles

92, 97, 01, 03, 04, 07 are the tops for me

NeanderCarl
01-29-2008, 10:49 AM
I don't think I really started watching till 97...and back then I was in highschool and lived with my folks, and they would only on a rare occasion let me get a ppv even when I offered to pay for it. Anyhow, now I live by with my girlfriend in out own apartment and I can stay up till midnight and have icecream for dinner...I mean order ppvs when ever I think I have money to throw away. But I tend to get each ppv at a reduced price because Comcast always fucks up my orders.Just find them online or download them. I'd definitely recommend those three.

1990, 1998, 2002, 2004, 2005 all worth a look, too, if you got plentiful time.

BigDaddyCool
01-29-2008, 10:50 AM
you can go to dailymotion and find all the rumbles

92, 97, 01, 03, 04, 07 are the tops for me

Yeah, I'm never going to do that.

BigDaddyCool
01-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Just find them online or download them. I'd definitely recommend those three.

1990, 1998, 2002, 2004, 2005 all worth a look, too, if you got plentiful time.

Which part of it is tax season don't you understand? Also, I rarely go and watch something old. Hell WWKD sent me a bunch of RoH dvds months ago, and I have only found the time to see one.

It isn't that I don't want too, it is a lack of time, and I get disinterested. Plus I rather make fun of TNA.

NeanderCarl
01-29-2008, 10:54 AM
95 was when they were low on talent and brought in loads of Mexican's right?

That was 1997 when they brought in a Mexican contigent but that was mainly to cater for the lucha libre fans in Texas and help fill out the Alamo Dome.

1995 was when the likes of a well past it Dick Murdoch, a past his prime Rick Martel, Doug Gilbert, The Headhunters, Tatanka and Crush were brought back as debutants/returnees, and the likes of The Heavenly Bodies, Mantaur and Well Dunn fleshed out a pitiful line-up with only about 3 stars in the whole match, and only one likely, obvious winner from the offset, that being Shawn Michaels.

NeanderCarl
01-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Which part of it is tax season don't you understand?

Well, being British.... all of it. :?:

Also, I rarely go and watch something old. Hell WWKD sent me a bunch of RoH dvds months ago, and I have only found the time to see one.

It isn't that I don't want too, it is a lack of time, and I get disinterested. Plus I rather make fun of TNA.

Well if you watch but ONE, only ONE, make it 1992. Not just the best Rumble of all-time, but a standalone great match in it's own right. And the best commentary performance ever seen in a wrestling match. In any sport, for that matter.

BigDaddyCool
01-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Well, being British.... all of it. :?:

See, we American left you British folks because you taxed us. So now we tax us in a suprise move to keep the world confused. Anyhow, I'm an accountant, something that has been mentioned time and time again, and in January I have to prepare a shit load of tax document that have to be out by 1/31. Then between Feb. 1st to April 15th is tax season because here in the states you have to file your taxes by April 15th. So I'll be busy.

Well if you watch but ONE, only ONE, make it 1992. Not just the best Rumble of all-time, but a standalone great match in it's own right. And the best commentary performance ever seen in a wrestling match. In any sport, for that matter.

I'll see what I can do.

NeanderCarl
01-29-2008, 11:09 AM
In the UK you only file your own taxes if you're self employed.

Otherwise it just comes directly out of your pay cheque.

Much simpler system.

BigDaddyCool
01-29-2008, 11:10 AM
In the UK you only file your own taxes if you're self employed.

Otherwise it just comes directly out of your pay cheque.

Much simpler system.

Oh, our taxes come out of our pay check (the correct spelling) too. But at the end of the year you might have had to much taken out because americans get credits and decutions. So it is possible to get a tax refund. A much fairer system.

NeanderCarl
01-29-2008, 11:12 AM
I get a tax refund every year anyway. I just always claim to have been a student during the financial year.

NeanderCarl
01-29-2008, 11:12 AM
Should. NOT. Be. Telling. A. Tax. Man. About. That.

Loose Cannon
01-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Damndest just won a copy of Rumble 92 :y:

BigDaddyCool
01-29-2008, 11:16 AM
Should. NOT. Be. Telling. A. Tax. Man. About. That.

I don't work for the government. I work for a small indepedent firm. Also, in America you file your own taxes. But the code gets a little confusing to a lot confusing depending on how much money you make and where you make it. So people go to accountants and tax shops to have them figure it up for them.

But our system works, we have a very high rate of complance mostly because people want their refund or don't want penalties.

DAMN iNATOR
01-29-2008, 11:40 AM
I enjoyed the Rumble itself...right up to the “CENA WINS!” in bright flashing lights in 72 size font on the marquee. I’m sick of Cena being in the ME or featured match at each pay-per-view and always winning. Frankly I hope he re-fucks up his shoulder before No Way Out so that he’ll have to stay out much longer than last time. It would serve him right for rushing back 2½ months after surgery when they told him he should wait a year instead.

Mr. JL
01-29-2008, 11:50 AM
This Rumble seemed a lot different because through-out almost the entire match there were always 8 plus guys in the ring.

BigDaddyCool
01-29-2008, 11:58 AM
I enjoyed the Rumble itself...right up to the “CENA WINS!” in bright flashing lights in 72 size font on the marquee. I’m sick of Cena being in the ME or featured match at each pay-per-view and always winning. Frankly I hope he re-fucks up his shoulder before No Way Out so that he’ll have to stay out much longer than last time. It would serve him right for rushing back 2½ months after surgery when they told him he should wait a year instead.

Now I'm no medical doctor, but from what I understand steriods put extra strain on muscles and ligements. Also, from what I understand Cena is freaking huge, and there is no way to be in that kind of shape natrually. So he is using some form of roids and I wouldn't doubt pain pills to get through the pain of working out. So yeah, it will be a mircale if he doesn't reinjury himself.

Heros Welcome
01-29-2008, 12:03 PM
How can people think this was shit? Aside from the Jericho JBL, which wasn't THAT bad, there have been worse, but this rumble seems like one of the best ones I have ever seen. The matches were good and very well built, and the rumble itself was very good, except for the ending. We all knew it was going to happen, just not this soon. So other than the return of Cena, I felt this was a very very good show.

NeanderCarl
01-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Cena lasted for half a decade without suffering even a minor injury to put him on the shelf, despite being ripped to shreds, so it's unlikely he'll end up back on the sidelines so soon.

NeanderCarl
01-29-2008, 12:07 PM
You know what, not only did I enjoy the show, but I seem to be the only one who didn't feel the show was RUINED by Cena's return.

It was a big shocker when he came out as number 30, no fucker could have seen that one coming, and from a storyline perspective him winning made perfect sense. When was the last time you had a "holy shit" moment? Not as in a Hardy-jumping-off-the-scaffolding "holy shit" but a I-did-NOT-see-that-coming "holy shit".

You don't have to be a fan of Cena to appreciate the spectacle. I'm fine with the ending.

BigDaddyCool
01-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Cena lasted for half a decade without suffering even a minor injury to put him on the shelf, despite being ripped to shreds, so it's unlikely he'll end up back on the sidelines so soon.

He tore his knee up once.

Inadequacy
01-29-2008, 12:35 PM
And he got stabbed just after losing the U.S title to Carlito!

wwe2222
01-29-2008, 12:50 PM
06 was the most disappointed ive ever been in a rumble. The PPV was awful, the rumble match was bad, and mysterio winning capped it.

95 gets a pass b/c HBK won it

DAMN iNATOR
01-29-2008, 12:56 PM
And he got backstabbed just before losing the U.S title to Carlito!

See what I did there?

:shifty:

Inadequacy
01-29-2008, 01:01 PM
No

:|

NeanderCarl
01-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Oh, our taxes come out of our pay check (the correct spelling) too.

:lol: Just noticed that.

I love the way you Americans bastardized our language then have the audacity to admonish us for not adhering to YOUR spelling policies. Not you specifically, BDC, just generally.

It probably originated from French anyway, with the (correct) spelling of "cheque".

Mr. Pierre
01-29-2008, 02:49 PM
How can people think this was shit? Aside from the Jericho JBL, which wasn't THAT bad, there have been worse, but this rumble seems like one of the best ones I have ever seen. The matches were good and very well built, and the rumble itself was very good, except for the ending. We all knew it was going to happen, just not this soon. So other than the return of Cena, I felt this was a very very good show.

Completely agree, and I even think JBL/Jericho was a good match and told a good story. Also, the Cena return was a huge shocker, and I wasn't even that bothered that he won the whole thing. It was a great show IMO

Londoner
01-29-2008, 07:02 PM
I think the worst thing was there were only like 4 matches werent there?????How lazy is that? They always have atleast 6 at the rumble, or maybe 5..but 4???

Juan
01-29-2008, 09:15 PM
I knew this thread was coming...

Verbose Minch
01-30-2008, 02:54 AM
Foley should have won. Foley should always win.

I <3 Foley.

El Fangel
01-30-2008, 03:08 AM
By the end of it I was sick of how many times people "almost went over."
Also I would have liked to see Shelton Benjamin last longer.
And I totally hated the final four this year, there was no one I would have liked to win from a mark standpoint.

Tell me your reaction to having John Cena be #30

Gosh, I hope I don't come off as that whiny in real life

You do.

Pardeep 619
01-30-2008, 03:27 PM
You know what, not only did I enjoy the show, but I seem to be the only one who didn't feel the show was RUINED by Cena's return.

It was a big shocker when he came out as number 30, no fucker could have seen that one coming, and from a storyline perspective him winning made perfect sense. When was the last time you had a "holy shit" moment? Not as in a Hardy-jumping-off-the-scaffolding "holy shit" but a I-did-NOT-see-that-coming "holy shit".

You don't have to be a fan of Cena to appreciate the spectacle. I'm fine with the ending.

:y:

Inadequacy
01-30-2008, 05:27 PM
You do.

well you didn't have to tell me! :'(

SammyG
01-30-2008, 05:28 PM
I was seriously shocked when Cena came out at 30. Jaw dropped and everything. Was Marking out, tbh.

Volare
01-30-2008, 06:54 PM
The ending of the Edge/Mysterio match I thought was great...Edge is gonna screw Rey, Oh shit! Rey countered...dammit he did screw him.

I actually thought Rey was gonna win it for a minute.

Pardeep 619
01-30-2008, 07:18 PM
I was seriously shocked when Cena came out at 30. Jaw dropped and everything. Was Marking out, tbh.

RVDmark
01-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Royal Rumble 2000 was also great. The first WWF event I ever watched. And also marked the night I stopped watching WCW. Although you have to remember that over here at the time, I had a choice of WWF PPV's and the equivalent of Afterburn / Velocity for WCW.

Triple H / cactus jack was great as well as the rumble.

Looking back has made me realise that Cena is the new Rock. Or WWE's new Rock anyway. There was the constant underlying "Rocky Sucks" chants. At the time, when I first started watching I thought the Rock was great. You guys who had been watching before were probably sick of him, but he brought me in. The same is happening with Cena. However Cena isn't on the Rock's level. Cena's promo's are too slow. He doesn't say enough words per minute. I get bored waiting for the next sentence, although the really loud boo's do provide some amusement.
When Cena came back at the rumble my heart sank. We were promised 2 more Cena-less months and I was looking forward to it.
Personally I would like to see Y2J, Jeff Hardy, Carlitto, Mr Kennedy, Santino Marella main event wrestlemania. Not because they deserve it (although I'm not saying they don't), or because they've been held back, but for something different. HHH vs Cena doesn't give me that excited buzz. They're both reasonable workers, and I don't hate them, but its been done.
They have added nothing to Cena's character at all.

Whatever happens, they need to keep Jeff Hardy winning, and they need to keep him elevated somehow. Maybe let him win KOTR, or Money in the bank. Anyone can see he's getting decent solid pops left right and centre. If they don't want to put the belt on him then I hope they at least realise his potential to draw at the minute, and keep him near the top somehow.

mrslackalack
01-30-2008, 10:02 PM
95 hands down the worst Rumble IMO. The Shawn/Bulldog thing was neat but the 1 minute intervrals and COMPLETE lack of star power. (HBK, Bulldog, Luger, Backlund, Owen the only ones that were talked about on winning)