PDA

View Full Version : "Millions of Fans Lose WWE Access"

spd10000
03-09-2004, 11:40 PM
Does this affect anyone here???

Dish Network Drop Viacom Channels; Millions of Fans Lose WWE Access

March 9, 2004 - Source: HollywoodReporter.com
EchoStar Communications dropped all Viacom-owned channels, including CBS O&Os in 16 major markets, from its Dish Network satellite service as of 12:01 a.m. today, leaving its 9 million subscribers without access to MTV, Nickelodeon, VH1, Comedy Central and other widely distributed channels.
One minute after midnight, Viacom-owned channels and CBS O&Os on the Dish Network service were replaced by a text title card (accompanied by a melodic solo acoustic guitar soundtrack) informing subscribers that the channels are dark because "Viacom has demanded rate increases which are unreasonable and would contribute to a higher monthly bill for you." The slate says EchoStar hopes to resolve the dispute quickly and directs subscribers to the Dish Network Web site for more information.

The move came after hours of last-minute negotiations between EchoStar and Viacom aimed at striking a new carriage agreement to avoid a blackout of popular channels. But the two sides have turned bitter adversaries in recent weeks, battling in court EchoStar's claims that Viacom is violating anti-trust laws by bundling its channel services and seeking what EchoStar has termed "excessive" rate hikes in a new deal.

Kane Knight
03-09-2004, 11:46 PM
No, but I've had many a crawl on the screen telling me that I'll lose it...

Except I'm on Digital cable instead...

Corkscrewed
03-09-2004, 11:46 PM
That's gonna really suck. But stations do constantly up their prices, so hopefully this will accomplish something... quickly.

Joe Kerr
03-09-2004, 11:48 PM
No, but I've had many a crawl on the screen telling me that I'll lose it...

Except I'm on Digital cable instead...
yeah me to...as long as i dont lose wrestling im fine

Vega
03-09-2004, 11:48 PM
Spike TV and Comedy Central are some of the only channels I even watch. I would switch to cable in an instant if I were a subscriber.

Deceit
03-10-2004, 12:31 AM
Most people in my area have either standard analog cable or digital cable. We've had satellite in my house before, and I really didn't like it to much. We switched to digital cable and i've been happy since :)

RGWhat316
03-10-2004, 12:35 AM
I've had the crawl run through a few shows including RAW, but I got Comcast cable here in MI, so should be alright. And wasn't it a couple years when WWF ppv's werent available on DISH, cus I remember them announcing it?

Kane Knight
03-10-2004, 12:55 AM
yeah me to...as long as i dont lose wrestling im fine

I honestly don't care about most of the chnnels that will be affected.

DaveWadding
03-10-2004, 12:57 AM
Nickelodeon :(