PDA

View Full Version : WWE Questionnaire - 25 Questions

ShawnRhodeIsland
02-09-2008, 03:32 PM
I saw this somewhere else and thought it'd be a fun little thing for us, too. Answer them all or however many you want. I'll post my answers later.

(1) What do you ultimately think Vince McMahon will most be remembered for as a promoter?

(2) What, if anything, do you think is the most important positive change that has come from the WWE vision of what pro wrestling is?

(3) What do you think is the most important negative change that has come from the WWE vision of what pro wrestling is?

(4) What is something that you have always felt WWE does well that they don't get enough credit for?

(5) What is something that you have always felt WWE does horribly that they don't get enough criticism for?

(6) Overall, do you think most people are fair when discussing WWE, or do you think people tended to be blinded -- either by fanboyism or hatred?

(7) What match would you point to as the match that most defines the WWE version of wrestling?

(8) Could the WWE have had their initial success without Hulk Hogan? Why or why not?

(9) Could the WWE have been more financially successful in the post-Hogan, pre-Austin time period with different people on top? Why or why not?

(10) Who do you think was a bigger star at their peak -- Hulk Hogan or Steve Austin?

(11) What do you think is Vince McMahon's greatest accomplishment as a promoter?

(12) What do you think was the greatest contributing factor to WCW overtaking the WWE from 1995-1998?

(13) What do you think was the greatest contributing factor to the WWE overtaking WCW in 1998?

(14) Which world champion was the best in terms of ring work and why?

(15) Which world champion do you think meant most to the company?

(16) Which world champion had the worst run?

(17) What do you consider the high point in WWE history?

(18) What do you consider the absolute low point in WWE history?

(19) Looking at things from their point of view, why do you think WWE frowns on employees being big wrestling fans?

(20) Do you think the WWE has ever done a good job at booking tag teams in a meaningful way? If so, what time period?

(21) What is the best non-main event feud the company has ever produced and why?

(22) What is the worst main event level feud the company has ever produced and why?

(23) What do you think was the single biggest contributing factor that caused the end of the 1998-2001 boom?

(24) From your personal experiences, is the WWE a company that delivers house shows where you feel you get your money's worth?

(25) Where do you think they'll be in five years?

.44 Magdalene
02-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Most of these questions are silly

Marc the Smark
02-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Most of these questions are silly

Why? Cuz they make you think and that hurts?

(1) What do you ultimately think Vince McMahon will most be remembered for as a promoter?
Ultimately as the guy who took wrestling mainstream then killed it

(2) What do you think is the most important positive change that has come from the WWE vision of what pro wrestling is?
Stroylines, they created reasons why a certain wrestler wanted to fight the other guy

(3) What do you think is the most important negative change that has come from the WWE vision of what pro wrestling is?
too much backstage shit and pointless comedy

(4) What is something that you have always felt WWE does well that they don't get enough credit for?
In the past, its been creating gimmicks that are stupid but work. Like Al Snow and Crash Holly 24/7 Hardcore Champion. Again, in the past....letting Wrestlers do their own promos

(5) What is something that you have always felt WWE does horribly that they don't get enough criticism for?
Right now everything, pushing people the crowd dont take to. Having two World titles. The brand split pushing people straight to the top. Scripting Promos

Overall, do you think most people are fair when discussing WWE, or do you think people tended to be blinded -- either by fanboyism or hatred?
It all depends, I think the product currently is shit and deserved all the negative hatred it gets but I've lived through the best periods

(7) What match would you point to as the match that most defines the WWE version of wrestling?
The Rock Vs Hulk Hogan

(8) Could the WWF have had their initial success without Hulk Hogan? Why or why not?
No, they could have had other people do a decent job and still be successful but they wouldnt have been Hulk Hogan

(9) Could the WWF have been more financially successful in the post-Hogan, pre-Austin time period with different people on top? Why or why not?
Hmm maybe

(10) Who do you think was a bigger star at their peak -- Hulk Hogan or Steve Austin?
The Hulkster

(11) What do you think is Vince McMahon's greatest accomplishment as a promoter?
WrestleMania & beating the competition

(12) What do you think was the greatest contributing factor to WCW overtaking the WWF from 1995-1998?
Hollywood Hogan & the nWo

(13) What do you think was the greatest contributing factor to the WWF overtaking WCW in 1998?
Stone Cold, Stone Cold, Stone Cold - to quote JR

Hogans ring work wasnt good but its what the fans wanted to see. HBK was technically brilliant but in some cases wasnt always what the fans want. Austin was the best of both worlds

Hulk Hogan, he had the $$$ signs on him

Triple Hs World Heavyweight Championship run in 02/03 was piss poor

(17) What do you consider the high point in WWF or WWE history?
WrestleManiaX7 and WrestleManiaX8

(18) What do you consider the absolute low point in WWF or WWE history?
Katie Vick, Midgets running through walls, todays product

(19) Looking at things from their point of view, why do you think WWE frowns on employees being big wrestling fans?
because Vince wants Hollywood writers for some reason?!

(20) Do you think the WWF has ever done a good job at booking tag teams in a meaningful way? If so, what time period?
In 1999/2000 there were loads of Tag Teams and they fans were really into them as well, plus the pay off matches between the Dudley Boyz, Hardy Boyz and Edge & Christian were always good. No matter how many times we'd seen it before

(21) What is the best non-main event feud the company has ever produced and why?
Chris Jericho/Chris The Other One

(22) What is the worst main event level feud the company has ever produced and why?
Does Big Show/Bossman count?

(23) What do you think was the single biggest contributing factor that caused the end of the 1998-2001 boom?
The cool factor. Hulkamania in the 80s was for kids. John Cena now-a-days is for kids. Hollywood Hogan, the nWo, The Rock, Vince McMahon and Stone Cold were for adults. Much edgier and much cooler

(24) From your personal experiences, is the WWF a company that delivers house shows where you feel you get your money's worth?
yup

stuck in the same rut now, unless competition turns up

.44 Magdalene
02-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Shut the fuck up, Scott

.44 Magdalene
02-09-2008, 03:48 PM
I want to strangle you for saying WWE came up with Al Snow's gimmick

Marc the Smark
02-09-2008, 05:16 PM
He's trying to start an intelligent conversation with you people.
Typical rookie mistake.

HeartBreakMan2k
02-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Typical rookie mistake.

We were calling you out on saying WWE created Al Snow's gimmick. Hardly attacking him. In fact, it's a good discussion.

Marc the Smark
02-09-2008, 05:22 PM
We were calling you out on saying WWE created Al Snow's gimmick. Hardly attacking him.

Magdeline said they're silly questions.

Jordan
02-09-2008, 05:27 PM
This is lame

HeartBreakMan2k
02-09-2008, 05:33 PM
(1) What do you ultimately think Vince McMahon will most be remembered for as a promoter? Ultimately, as the biggest promoter ever. He will be regarded as the man who brought pro wrestling to the forefront and rightfully so.

(2) What, if anything, do you think is the most important positive change that has come from the WWE vision of what pro wrestling is? There have been some positives, and really most of them are things not having to do with in ring work. Stuff like Tribute to the Troops, the Smackdown Your Vote campaign, etc.

(3) What do you think is the most important negative change that has come from the WWE vision of what pro wrestling is? They're falling back to the over the top wrestling characters of yesterday which will ultimately be what hurts pro wrestling against MMA.

(4) What is something that you have always felt WWE does well that they don't get enough credit for? Tribute to the troops, smackdown your vote, etc.

(5) What is something that you have always felt WWE does horribly that they don't get enough criticism for? I have no idea, they've never really done anything HORRIBLE. However they do severely lack the ability to book a long term angle now.

(6) Overall, do you think most people are fair when discussing WWE, or do you think people tended to be blinded -- either by fanboyism or hatred? I think it's about 50/50. Some are fair, some are bias.

(7) What match would you point to as the match that most defines the WWE version of wrestling? Austin/Rock

(8) Could the WWE have had their initial success without Hulk Hogan? Why or why not? Yes, Vince McMahon created Hulk Hogan who in turn created WWE, Vince could have made most anyone Hulk Hogan.

(9) Could the WWE have been more financially successful in the post-Hogan, pre-Austin time period with different people on top? Why or why not? It had to do more with the gimmick and the fans grasping on to them than the individual worker so yes.

(10) Who do you think was a bigger star at their peak -- Hulk Hogan or Steve Austin? Hulk Hogan

(11) What do you think is Vince McMahon's greatest accomplishment as a promoter? Surviving the lows and ultimately becoming the last great company.

(12) What do you think was the greatest contributing factor to WCW overtaking the WWE from 1995-1998? nWo, the great in ring action of the cruisers.

(13) What do you think was the greatest contributing factor to the WWE overtaking WCW in 1998? wCw forgetting how to book the nWo and Vince remembering how to book long term angles.

(14) Which world champion was the best in terms of ring work and why? Shawn Michaels, simply the best ever.

(15) Which world champion do you think meant most to the company? Honestly this one is tough, but I have to say Hogan in WCW. The nWo run coun't have had the success it needed without Hogan at that championship spot.

(16) Which world champion had the worst run? Fuck if I know, probably David Arquette.

(17) What do you consider the high point in WWE history? For me, Shawn Michaels title win at WrestleMania 12. For the company in general the simulcast of Nitro and Raw.

(18) What do you consider the absolute low point in WWE history? No idea.

(19) Looking at things from their point of view, why do you think WWE frowns on employees being big wrestling fans? No, I think you have to be to be in the industry. I don't think you can wholely dedicate yourself to that sort of business without being a fan of it first.

(20) Do you think the WWE has ever done a good job at booking tag teams in a meaningful way? If so, what time period? Tons of times, days of the British Bulldogs/Hart Foundation/Rockers and most recently the days of the Hardyz/E&C/Dudleyz.

(21) What is the best non-main event feud the company has ever produced and why? Erm... Shawn and Razor.

(22) What is the worst main event level feud the company has ever produced and why? Taker and Khali.. really.

(23) What do you think was the single biggest contributing factor that caused the end of the 1998-2001 boom? The lack of smart booking and the rise of MMA.

(24) From your personal experiences, is the WWE a company that delivers house shows where you feel you get your money's worth? Absolutely. House shows are typically better than TV shows.

(25) Where do you think they'll be in five years? Right where they are now, no in a boom period but not out right failing.

Kane Knight
02-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Typical rookie mistake.

This is the start of an intelligent conversation only in the same sense that a Doctor Phil book counts as seeking medical help. I can see where you would be confused by that, though.

RP
02-09-2008, 05:39 PM
I'm answering John Cena to everyone of those questions.

Lock Jaw
02-09-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm answering AYYLEAAAHYLEEEEAHAYLEEEEEEAH!! to everyone of those questions.

Mr. Nerfect
02-09-2008, 05:51 PM

The WWE?

(2) What, if anything, do you think is the most important positive change that has come from the WWE vision of what pro wrestling is?

This is honestly a tricky one, but I think the most positive thing the WWE has proven is that you don't need to be good to succeed.

People don't want wrestling anymore. Well, maybe they do, but they don't get it.

I feel the WWE have does actually appreciate the talent of a lot of its underrated workers. As misused as they have been, Val Venis, Nunzio and Stevie Richards still have jobs. Paul London & Brian Kendrick also got "promoted" to RAW, because they were the best damn tag team the WWE had going.

The flip side of the same coin. The WWE should be endlessly criticised for how they have handled some talent over the years, including the ones listed above. There are a lot of brilliant wrestlers under WWE contract that are not allowed to be brilliant. Or, as Vermaat would say, they are too lazy.

(6) Overall, do you think most people are fair when discussing WWE, or do you think people tended to be blinded -- either by fanboyism or hatred?

I think people are actually fair when they are being negative. Just look at the numbers and their complaints of a shitty product are validated.

In the present day, I'd go with D-Generation X vs. The McMahons & Big Show in Hell in a Cell. Not only was it a Handicap Match, which is pretty much the RAW Special these days, but it also had a shitty face gimmick shoved down our throats, Vince McMahon and a male ass.

(8) Could the WWE have had their initial success without Hulk Hogan? Why or why not?

Theoretically, yes. Without Hogan they might have had someone bigger and better. Who knows? Maybe that wrestler would have been the most honourable in the history of the business, and would have made a lot more stars, and the industry would be in better shape?

(9) Could the WWE have been more financially successful in the post-Hogan, pre-Austin time period with different people on top? Why or why not?

I'm not an expert on this era, but I'm going to use the same reasoning as before: Sure, why not? The fact is they didn't, so you can never really know. I will say that Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels were good choices for top guys, though, and that it laid down the foundations for good wrestlers actually being allowed to headline in the WWE.

Stone Cold Steve Austin. I had probably heard of Hulk Hogan, but the one wrestler I knew for sure, was Stone Cold Steve Austin. It's probably a generational thing, but I also read somewhere that Austin made more money, probably to do more with the era. I also just like Austin better.

The WWE? Honestly, it was probably making Hulk Hogan a bigger star than he could control. I mean, right now, Hogan probably commands more power than Vince McMahon. Hogan owes a lot of his iconic status to himself, of course, but Vince McMahon gave Hogan the opportunity in the WWE, which is where he really boomed. If Vince didn't shove Hogan down our throats, he probably would have still racked up a lot of World Championships, but he'd probably be remembered as just a Lex Luger or Sid Vicious, rather than an icon of the industry.

Another worth mentioning is WrestleMania. It's the only PPV that continues to get more and more buys each year, despite being a shittier and shittier product. WrestleMania has not felt special to me since WrestleMania XX, but it's still very successful. More successful than it theoretically should be.

(12) What do you think was the greatest contributing factor to WCW overtaking the WWE from 1995-1998?

The nWo, including Hulk Hogan's heel turn. At the time, it was cutting edge and just captivating television, which is something I guess the WWE didn't have going for them.

(13) What do you think was the greatest contributing factor to the WWE overtaking WCW in 1998?

Probably WCW botching a lot of their opportunities. I'm not sure when it happened, but Sting winning the World Title from Hollywood Hogan was a pretty certain thing, but it ended up being confusing as shit. WCW was not creating enough new stars, and were clinging to old ideals, and were really getting quite desperate. An analogy could be the guy at the party who has been the center with his jokes for the past few months, maybe, but he's telling the same ones now, and people are beginning to see through his acceptance-seeking.

I have to say Kurt Angle. I don't really feel like explaining it. I shouldn't need to really. He's Kurt fucking Angle.

Hulk Hogan, simply because he really kicked the WWE into gear. Another point is that while I think Austin should be the #1 guy in WWE history, as far as inonic status goes, Austin was more about the quest to the WWE World Championship. Hulk Hogan was all about being the WWE World Champion.

Wow, this one is tricky. There have been a lot of crappy runs, and while it was particularly the worst run, The Great Khali winning the World Heavyweight Championship when there was a perfectly fine candidate for World Champion in Kane was pretty ridiculous.

WrestleMania X-7.

Hmm, this is tricky, but I'd probably say now. Since the brand split, RAW has been pretty consistently horrible (with a few moments of good, of course).

Because the WWE likes to think that they can crack the "entertainment" market. If they get hung up being "wrestling," then it limits the number of people they can get. If they label themselves as "entertainment," it creates the illusion that they can get in all the demographics they want because they "provide something for everyone." They don't, of course, and wrestling will always be wrestling, but from the WWE's point of view, that's all I can think of.

(20) Do you think the WWE has ever done a good job at booking tag teams in a meaningful way? If so, what time period?

Oh, definitely. Never as much as they should, but they definitely have, to some degree. There have been two great tag team eras, apparently. I'm not acquainted too well with one, which was your LOD, Hart Foundation, etc. I was, however, around for the Edge & Christian vs. Hardy Boyz vs. Dudley Boyz feud, though. If only the WWE would give a ladder to Paul London & Brian Kendrick, Lance Cade & Trevor Murdoch, John Morrison & The Miz and Jimmy Wang Yang & Shannon Moore. Back in the Attitude era, the WWE actually seemed to care about their mid-card.

Holy shit, man, this one is really fucking crazy. There have been some great ones, and this stems the entire company's history. I would say that Chris Benoit has been involved in some good shit, however. His feud with Chris Jericho was not on my mind, but in retrospect that was good shit. I was maybe thinking the SmackDown! Six stuff, just for the matches alone.

This is again tricky, but Triple H vs. Scott Steiner was pretty fucking terrible. There are many substitutable options for these.

Stone Cold Steve Austin turning heel is a massively overlooked one, in my opinion. To be a fan of professional wrestling, there needs to be some willingness to suspend belief, and there needs to be some emotional attachment. For years, Stone Cold Steve Austin was the guy everyone connected with as the WWE's hero and the guy everyone wanted to see succeed. Then he sold his soul, buried the hatchet with Vince McMahon, and the people were without their hero.

What made it worse was The Rock leaving to do movies, if only periodically at that time. I also believe it was a mistake keeping Triple H heel instead of turning him face when Austin aligned with Vince. Especially in The Rock's absence. Booker T coming in was huge, too, but the WWE dropped that pretty badly, just by turning Booker heel.

I loved that the WWE tried to push Kane, Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho and Kurt Angle in 2001, but honestly, it was not the right time. 2001 still had Stone Cold Steve Austin, Triple H, The Rock, The Undertaker and Booker T around. You might as well throw Diamond Dallas Page into that list. There could have been some elevation (for example, I don't know, Chris Jericho winning the King of the Ring tournament?), but I think for the most part, there was too much of a main event swapping out.

Vince McMahon also stopped listening to the fans. The fans made Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock, the two biggest guys of the Attitude era. In 2001, the fans were really biting into several men: Chris Jericho, Rhyno and Rob Van Dam. Jericho got a shot at the World Title, and he won three that year (pretty impressive), but his heel turn was pretty poorly done, and lost a lot of fan interest in Jericho. RVD probably should have won the WWE Title in 2001, regardless of how early into his tenure it was. The fans were salivating for it. I also mention Rhyno, even though it's often forgotten how over he was at this time, but Paul Heyman made The Man Beast from commentary, and it still sends chills down my spine how Rhyno was willing to fight the entire Alliance. The WWE really dropped the ball with him when he returned from his surgery.

Yeah, that seems contradictory. "You've got your main eventers," "Jericho, RVD and Rhyno should have been pushed," but I do mean both. Basically, I think the main event scene in the WWE post-WrestleMania X-7 was handled horribly. As I said, it was great some new guys got the chance, because they were talented and deserve it, I just disagree with how they got their chances, and think it should have come other ways, later in the year.

Oh, and the invasion was pretty much one big cooling of the industry.

(24) From your personal experiences, is the WWE a company that delivers house shows where you feel you get your money's worth?

I have not been to a house show, but I'd say no. I'm sure it's fun to get caught up and see all your favourite stars live, but I think they could do more to make house shows more special, instead of running the same event in different locations, with absolutely no character development or development in general. Granted, you can't do much with house shows, but some balls-to-the-wall wrestling and the occasional exciting development would make it worth the money.

Roughly the same place they are now. There could be another boom, but I don't know, it seems unlikely. I think Vince McMahon is his own worst enemy right now. Instead of listening to the fans, he tends to live in his own little bubble.

Chris Jericho
Rhyno
Rob Van Dam
Matt Hardy
Christian
CM Punk

Six examples of stars the fans wanted to make, that the WWE ignored and glossed over. Some men got there, and others are getting there now, so now permanent damage was done, but not as much money as possible was made, and their path was not as straight-forward as it perhaps should have been.

Nowadays, main eventers are shoved down our throats, despite mixed reactions: John Cena, Randy Orton, Rey Mysterio and Bobby Lashley. It's rather quite depressing.

I think the biggest change in 5 years, will be in the gradual backstage shift away from Vince McMahon, who is obviously on a declining slope.

addy2hotty
02-09-2008, 06:16 PM

His feud with Stone Cold Steve Austin.

That wrestling was fun, entertaining and didn't take itself too seriously. Since 2002, that was lost.

That wrestling is not fun, unentertaining and takes itself far too seriously. This is the result of writers/producers believing that they know what the fans want more than they do. This began around 2002.

Montage presentations. Second to none. Especially the obituary ones like for Eddie Guerrero.

John Cena.

Too much of both. Either one or the other on most subjects. Never any middle ground.

TLC2 - Wrestlemania X-Seven.

No. He was a comic book character in s super-hero era. He was the Rambo of the WWF.

Not really. The competition was hot, they had nothing to really go with. When the right character came along, it would work out for them. I believe that they bided their time and waited. Austin-mania was not luck.

Two ways of looking at it. In wrestling terms - Austin. In mainstream terms - Hogan.

The Attitude Era.

The inability of Vince McMahon to move on from the cartoon character fictionality of the WWF. Whereas WCW moved into an area where the boundaries between real & scripted were very thin, WWF remained in an area where a Clown was a performer and had a midget clown for a valet.

Austin, The Rock, DX and a hugely likeable mid and lower card. The quality of writing was at its strongest.

In the time that I watched, probably Chris Benoit. He did everything right in the ring. The little things, the selling of injuries, the look of a heel, the attitude of a badass "i'm gonna hurt you" submission expert.

Tough one. I'd say, Eddie Guerrero. They released him for his own good several times. They pretty much told him, sort yourself out and you'll have a job. They had such faith in him at the end that when he said that holding the title was too much for him, they took it off him. Even though business would have probably said keeping him as champion at that point would have been best.

John Cena's 2nd/3rd run. The fans pretty much hated it. The smarks hated it. I hated it. Beating everyone ever is not an achievement. It shows the sad limitations of the roster and the lack of belief in anyone on said roster. Only Edge came out of any Cena feud looking any good. Everyone else's career has pretty much tanked. I hope you are reading Randy Orton.

Wrestlemania X-Seven.

Now. Every week, a lower point is reached.

Because they believe that they will make decisions from a fans point of view rather than one that is 'good business'. 'Good business' is to have Orton beat Hardy at the Royal Rumble and go on to feud with John Cena. A fan's decision would have probably been to put Hardy over and go into Wrestlemania on a crest of a wave. 'Good business' is to put Cena straight back into the title picture. A fan would have not made that decision. Sound business sense dictates decisions nowadays, and sadly the best creative ideas do not overlap with what is a souns business idea anymore.

It's not about the WWE putting on a show that will beat similar format shows in the ratings anymore. It's about making as much money as possible.

There have been imo two boom periods for tag teams. One, the days of LOD, the Rockers, Natural Disasters, Beverly Brothers, Nasty Boys, Demolition. The second - Edge & Christian, Hardys, Dudleys. In those times, tag team wrestling was money. Now, tag team wrestling takes up the time that they could spend shoving Cena & DX's new t-shirt down our throats. Tag teams today have no character and are not allowed to build their personalities. The only team they did that with - Cryme Tyme (for better or worse) were released and pretty shocking in the ring. The WWE have no real interest in tag team wrestling at this point and wish it well in its future endeavours.

The E&C, Hardys and Dudley's on-going feud. Over nothing other than being the best tag team. It was good because it was high-level performances. You believed that any of them would do anything to be the best team. They all threw each other through tables and ladders. They all cheated and tried to get one up on the others. It wrote itself, and wrote itself so well.

Cena & Khali, Cena & Lashley, Cena & Umanga. Hastily cobbled together feuds with unbelievable events and ridiculous endings.

The roster split. Never liked it and never will. Too many 'stars' that shouldn't be on my TV.

Absolutely not. Being in the UK, our house shows are shocking. They used to make them PPV as well. Awful.

I think that there will only be one wrestling show a week on TV. Probably Raw. PPV's will be cut in half and it'll feel like the bad old days of pre-1997. No-one will care. People will be still saying that The Rock should come back. Vince will be still a cackling evil man who wants 'ruthless masturbation' on live TV. There won't be an audience, just piped in cheers, and John Cena will have ascended to a higher plane of existence where he can co-exist with other Ancients such as Anubis & Hulk Hogan.

I've wasted a good half hour on this. Hope you understand that, and I claim the right to change my answer to something I think of later.

OverTaker
02-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Rep to you for writing all that.

Rob
02-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Being the most successful wrestling promoter of all time.

PPV. Simple as that.

Steroids. Trying to tell the people that they want roided bodies and the deaths that have come from living the lifestyle

Make money. Their stock price has been unbelievably low considering the money they generated and the cash reserves they are sitting on.

Classing its talent as independent contactors and treating them like employess. Total tax fiddle. Total benefit fiddle. Total pension fiddle.

Blinded. Their fans believe a load of shit and the media don't take the company serious enough to treat it fairly.

Can't limit it to one match. Matches define eras, not the company.

Could? Yes. Would? I'd seriously doubt it. Nobody really had the charisma or body at that era to carrying the company like Hogan did.

No. The business was dead. Only way they could have been any more successful would have been to focus more on Davey Boy Smith and run Europe for longer spells. In the States, they did what they could at that time.

Austin. Bottom line is money and Austin made more money in 1999 than Hogan made in his best 3 years in the 80's put together.

Having two absolutely insanely popular eras after nearly going out of business twice.

WWE got stale and cartoonish. WCW took it's product more seriously and was willing to spend money to improve.

STONE COLD STEVE AUSTIN. Other factors made an impact but without Austin, they wouldn't have done it.

Bret Hart. Michaels and Angle came close but as champion, they didn't have the matches Hart did with limited opponents. I stress as champion too. Without the belt, you could argue who is better all night.

Steve Austin

Kevin Nash. Shawn Michaels' first run on top was worse but he did business later. Nash was a disaster.

Making money on PPV.

The deaths. Especially the Benoit one and the fucking bullshit they pulled after it.

Because they don't want anyone to think they could possibly know more than they do. All the credit in the world to Vince McMahon for what he built but 65 year old men aren't in touch with what 18-25 year old males want.

Pre 1992 they did a pretty great job.

Harts vs. Steve Austin in 1997.

Kevin Nash and Mabel

They bought WCW. No competition and people stopped caring.

I haven't been to one is ages. I never thought the British shows were worth the money but I have a good time at just about all of them. On the other side, I got second row seats for Summerslam at Wembley for £27! Bargin.

Still on top making millions.

ShawnRhodeIsland
02-09-2008, 07:26 PM
1) Taking wrestling national, killing territories, being an awesome heel, and Wrestlemania (not necessarily in that order)

2. Their TV production is awesome.

3. Steroid abuse.

4. Pay-Per-Views.

5. Too many fucking Pay per views.

6. No

7. The Rock vs Austin @ Wrestlemania 17

8. Yes, they could've done it in the late 70's with Superstar Billy Graham. Hogan was better than Graham, but I think Graham could've pulled it off. The roster was too deep for WWE to not be succeful also.

9. I don't think so, Luger would been the obvious choice, but he tanked. Bret, as much as I like him, just wasn't that type of guy. If Nash hadn't tried to be a cooler Hogan, and hadn't been so lazy maybe he could've done it.

10. Hogan.

11. Pay Per View and selling out arenas for 30 years, plus he's built some awesome characters and created some awesome feuds.

12. Nitro going Live, and being edgy. Bret should've stuck around and turned heel sooner.

13; Starrcade '97. Fucking up the NWO. Not being able to capitalize on getting Bret Hart.

14. Stone Cold (with Bret Hart being a close second).

15. Hulk Hogan (I hate too say it).

16. HBK.

17. For me personally, it was John Cena ending Wrestlemania 23 by making HBK tap out.

18. The Benoit tragedy.

19. Because Vince sees what he's doing as "Sports Entertainment."

20. Yes, in the 80's with Strike Force, The British Bull dogs, The Hart Foundation.

21. Rey Mysterio vs Eddie Guerrero, It was the best angle on the show in years that didn't involve titles, and it was a huge draw and brought new fans. It was the most compelling TV (by wrestling standards) that you're going too find any where.

22. Steiner vs Triple H

23. Austin turning heel, The Rock and Foley leaving. Kind of left a big void in the babyface department. Looking back, maybe The Rock should've turned heel, since he was on his way out of the door.

24. Yes, WWE always delivers at house shows, even from when I was a kid to this day.

25. Still the top company in wrestling and I think we're on the brink on another boom period with Cena back on top.