PDA

View Full Version : Better wrestler

Destor
02-11-2008, 03:24 PM
I'm bringing this back. Steve Corino has failed to defend his title (that sounds familiar,) so this will begin again, fresh start.

Remember that there is no set criteria as to what makes one better better than the other. It can be based on in ring work, promos, who has the total package, or just personal preference. What ever.

Gonna add a new feature though, any wrestler who gets five consecutive wins will go into an all star list and will be retired.

So with out further adieu, todays two competitors:

http://sportsmedia.ign.com/sports/image/article/748/748635/cm-punk-interview-20061201101617463-000.jpg

VS

http://z.about.com/d/prowrestling/1/0/0/5/-/-/rvd.jpg

Should be hot. Only three days to vote.

D Mac
02-11-2008, 03:28 PM
RVD right now, but Punk will only get better.

Destor
02-11-2008, 03:31 PM
I personally say Punk. While RVD has the more impressive move set Punk has the two things RVD always lacked, good psychology and the ability to work the stick.

Anybody Thrilla
02-11-2008, 03:35 PM
I wanted to vote Punk, but for some reason when it came to the clicking, I clicked RVD. I used to mark for him super hard. I remember being at InVasion at the Gund Arena and not a lot of people there even knew who he was before the show. I was talking him up big to anybody that would listen, and he and Jeff Hardy delivered that night.

Destor
02-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Also For over half of RVDs career his matches were formulaic to the point you could wear a blind fold and still see the spots coming.

Destor
02-11-2008, 03:36 PM
I wanted to vote Punk, but for some reason when it came to the clicking, I clicked RVD. I used to mark for him super hard. I remember being at InVasion at the Gund Arena and not a lot of people there even knew who he was before the show. I was talking him up big to anybody that would listen, and he and Jeff Hardy delivered that night.
That was one of his last fantastic matches.

Anybody Thrilla
02-11-2008, 03:41 PM
That was one of his last fantastic matches.

I was in the 8th row. :cool:

GD
02-11-2008, 03:46 PM
C.M.Punk. I have faith in him. WWE never wanted to make RVD a huge star, it was the fans who made him. Even after winning the WWE title and the ECW title, he was locked in mid card hell. For the record his title defense against Edge was a pretty good one.

IC Champion
02-11-2008, 04:05 PM
I personally say Punk. While RVD has the more impressive move set Punk has the two things RVD always lacked, good psychology and the ability to work the stick.

What are you trying to say, that RVD just did his spots, popped up, looked to the crowd and pointed to himself?

Destor
02-11-2008, 04:07 PM
emphasis on the "popped up" part.

IC Champion
02-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Oh, well than I agree.

Destor
02-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Ftr, if anyone post why they think so and so is better I will rep them.

Destor
02-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Get a conversation going, ya know?

Anybody Thrilla
02-11-2008, 04:24 PM
RVD in ECW remains one of my favorite characters of all time. He was just so fresh at the time, and I was decidedly younger and more easily impressed, but he'll always have a place in my heart. Him and cruiserweight champion Chris Jericho. Nothing against Punk. He's all right. He's even kind of good. I'm just waiting to see him involved in some higher profile stuff, I guess.

Destor
02-11-2008, 04:34 PM
RVD in ECW remains one of my favorite characters of all time. He was just so fresh at the time, and I was decidedly younger and more easily impressed, but he'll always have a place in my heart. Him and cruiserweight champion Chris Jericho. Nothing against Punk. He's all right. He's even kind of good. I'm just waiting to see him involved in some higher profile stuff, I guess.
I loved RVD in ECW. He was amazing, his timing was impeccable and his spots were the definition of innovation. But thats only half of his career. His WWE run was as bland as one could get, and for that he looses a lot of points for me.

Punk (like RVD,) has impressed me since the first time I aw him. Unlike RVD it's not innovation that wows me, it's his ability to connect to the audience that impresses me. His matches are top notch don't get me wrong (though admittedly they have gotten more mediocre since going to the WWE,) but he's not at that upper echelon. Now his promos on a good day are better than anyones and on a bad day they're still better than the average Joe. But it always comes down to his psychology for me. His moves have purpose and he doesn't loose himself in a match. That counts for a lot in my book.

Nowhere Man
02-11-2008, 04:36 PM
Punk's got a lot more upward potential than RVD ever did. Van Dam was pretty damn impressive in his time (though you can honestly credit some of his best matches to Jerry Lynn), and was definitely a breath of fresh air in ECW. Trouble is he's all spots and no actual mat game, so his matches get way too repetitive.

Punk is a much more solid worker, and can deliver much better promos (RVD's One Night Stand shoot notwithstanding).

Kane Knight
02-11-2008, 04:53 PM
RVD's kind of got legend status with me. That is, I will have a tendency to look back at him and filter out the shit. Anyone looks better through rose coloured glasses, but I'm not going to hide an inherent bias. I like RVD a lot. Even watered-down, limited moves, LOL IM SO STONED BUT NOT REALLY RVD in the WWE was still the goods, and people were still into him long after they probably should have lost interest in him.

RVD's got staying power, no matter how badly he's been used at points, or how many times he does something stupid and gets caught. Even if he's not the best on the stick, or the best technical wrestler, or whatever.

That and I fucking hate that little weasel CM Punk.

Mr. JL
02-11-2008, 05:06 PM
RVD's kind of got legend status with me. That is, I will have a tendency to look back at him and filter out the shit. Anyone looks better through rose coloured glasses, but I'm not going to hide an inherent bias. I like RVD a lot. Even watered-down, limited moves, LOL IM SO STONED BUT NOT REALLY RVD in the WWE was still the goods, and people were still into him long after they probably should have lost interest in him.

RVD's got staying power, no matter how badly he's been used at points, or how many times he does something stupid and gets caught. Even if he's not the best on the stick, or the best technical wrestler, or whatever.

That and I fucking hate that little weasel CM Punk.

Destor
02-11-2008, 05:12 PM
RVD is pulling away with this one.

Better Than You
02-11-2008, 05:17 PM
CM Punk is my favorite wrestler

Inadequacy
02-11-2008, 05:26 PM
I missed out on both of their best stuff (ECW and ROH), so all I really have to go on is their stuff in the WWE. And like Destor said, I just find it easier to feel connected to Punk. And as silly as it sounds, I just think his moveset is cooler.

Also, the fact that the first time I heard his name I thought "OMG, I LYK PUNK MEWZIC! HEEZE GRATE!" has nothing to do with it.

Anybody Thrilla
02-11-2008, 05:41 PM
I do like CM Punk's theme song, I feel I should mention for some reason.

BigDaddyCool
02-11-2008, 05:52 PM
I like RVD better, simply because pot heads > straight edge...I guess.

Anybody Thrilla
02-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Your logic never ceases to dumbfound me, BDC.

Heros Welcome
02-11-2008, 06:02 PM
When I saw this poll, I thought it would be an easy one. Then I thought about it and it really is a tough choice. Being privileged to have seen there ROH and ECW work respectively is what is making this a hard choice for me.

When I got into ECW years back I was drawn to RVD right away. The look he had, and his style of offense was very likable. So innovative in every way possible. Was a true pioneer for his company.

Then one day I came on here years back and noticed someone mention the name CM Punk. Intrigued by the name i did my research and found that he worked for ROH. After watching a lot of his work, I knew this guy was going to be a STAR one day on the mainstream. Working a crowd great, very good ring psychology, as well as the "IT" factor.

Now for there times in the E...Well Van Dam was ALWAYS stuck in mid card hell. They never really captured what he really could have been as a main event main stay. Even when he won the title, I marked out hardcore, but there was still a part in me mad that he didn't even win it clean. Another contributing factor is his style was extremely slowed down which did hurt him a little, but he adapted well enough to still be one of the most exciting guys in the ring.

Then as for Punk in the E....When he came in preaching the MMA style, after a few of his matches I mentioned to a friend he is a Joe/KENTA hybrid. nothing wrong with it but I do miss his ROH ring work. Reguardless, Punk is going to be a much bigger star for the E then Van Dam was I believe. Punk is the Total Package. I can't wait for the day when the realize that got all the merch they need out of Punk as a face, and turn him heel. the day he turns he will become Main Event.

the choice is STILL a tough one....I go draw

Anybody Thrilla
02-11-2008, 06:05 PM
I read it, Heros Welcome. I read it.

Destor
02-11-2008, 06:05 PM
Actually you voted a draw.

Heros Welcome
02-11-2008, 06:08 PM
I know, I edited what I said. I just couldn't choose one.

Destor
02-11-2008, 06:09 PM
Yeah I figured this would be tough for some people.

Heros Welcome
02-11-2008, 06:11 PM
I mean even though Punk is my favorite wrestler right now, I can't say he is better than Van Dam. For me, behind HBK, Austin and Jericho..RVD is my fav all time. So I took the cop out route.

Londoner
02-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Considering rvds been out of action for a while, at this moment you have to go with punk.

Destor
02-11-2008, 06:20 PM
For my money RVD had the potential to be the next HBK when he first started out, but he was stale for FAR too many years.

I can't see Punk being the next anything, I see Punk being the first Punk.

Still I expected WAY more draws than we have right now.

Anybody Thrilla
02-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Punk will be the next Jake Roberts in terms of drug abuse. :shifty:

Destor
02-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Considering rvds been out of action for a while, at this moment you have to go with punk.
If thats your perogative, then go ahead and vote for Punk, but personally I'm not looking at it as a right now thing. I'm looking at it encompassing their whole careers, but again, there's no wrong way to vote. If you want to go by "the now" go ahead.

Londoner
02-11-2008, 06:24 PM
Well if were going overall illd say draw if were specifically talking about wrestling. I have to say i like rvd more than punk, in terms of who i find more entertaining though.

Destor
02-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Well if were going overall illd say draw if were specifically talking about wrestling.
again for me the term "wrestler" encompases the total package, talking/working/etc. But judge it by whatever you choose.

Londoner
02-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the extra green dot btw destor.

Destor
02-11-2008, 06:28 PM
I said I'd rep anyone who said why they voted

Londoner
02-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Ah i missed that, just i noticed an extra green dot on my rep bar as you can see there!

Destor
02-11-2008, 06:30 PM
sweet

IC Champion
02-11-2008, 06:47 PM
I picked RVD because I have fond memories of RVD from back in the day, before he was watered down and bland. I just haven't really seen Punk enough to be big on the guy, and I never knew what he was about other than straight edge, but that isn't really a gimmick is it?

Ruien
02-11-2008, 08:00 PM
I went for CM Punk. I never got into ECW, and RVD did not seem all that in the WWE/WWF. I will say he had a lot of matches I enjoyed, but I love seeing Punk every night.

Lock Jaw
02-11-2008, 08:04 PM
I haven't really seen a lot of Punk, but I'm voting for him, because I don't really like RVD.

Destor
02-11-2008, 08:17 PM
RVD still has a comfortable lead.

Kane Knight
02-11-2008, 08:36 PM
Good.

BigDaddyCool
02-11-2008, 08:57 PM
Your logic never ceases to dumbfound me, BDC.

See the thing is I just try to come up with the dumbest things to say on the spot...usually trying to figure out how to then make sure the convesre to what I just said is also retarded that way no one can argue against me.

thecc
02-11-2008, 09:00 PM
This was a tough choice but I went with Punk. I was watching some of his old IWA matches and I still enjoy them immensely. He's also hilarious on commentary.

Destor
02-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Punk is slowly closing the gap

Heros Welcome
02-12-2008, 12:19 AM
I'm curious besides me, who picked draw?

What Would Kevin Do?
02-12-2008, 01:16 AM
Punk is good, but RVD is better. Punk loses points with me for blatantly stealing moves (G2S is one thing, but stealing Kenta's little strike combo really pissed me off.), and I never really dug the Pepsi Plunge.

Heros Welcome
02-12-2008, 08:36 AM
Punk is good, but RVD is better. Punk loses points with me for blatantly stealing moves (G2S is one thing, but stealing Kenta's little strike combo really pissed me off.), and I never really dug the Pepsi Plunge.

I miss the Vice :(

Mercury Bullet
02-12-2008, 11:54 AM
RVD was at one point, but he is on the decline and currently not even active. CM Punk is on the rise and will someday be (like it or hate it) one of the central main eventers in WWE.

Kane Knight
02-12-2008, 12:12 PM
RVD was at one point, but he is on the decline and currently not even active. CM Punk is on the rise and will someday be (like it or hate it) one of the central main eventers in WWE.

I gotta admit. Every time RVD opens his mouth these days, he says something that makes me want to hit him over the head with a steel chair and then roll out of the ring...

BigDaddyCool
02-12-2008, 01:21 PM
I gotta admit. Every time RVD opens his mouth these days, he says something that makes me want to hit him over the head with a steel chair and then roll out of the ring...

Like what?

The Gold Standard
02-12-2008, 02:04 PM
I think CM Punk is better. But it was a tough decision. I mean I wasn't a huge fan of the original ECW. I was young when it was at its prime so I didn't see him back then. So, I am going by what i remmeber and that is CM Punk being better.

Kane Knight
02-12-2008, 02:22 PM
Like what?

Off the top of my head, nobody ever died from smoking pot.

Oh, and the fact that he said he wouldn't apologise for his drug use, and then that he didn't understand why he wasn't brought back to the main event after his suspension was up in the same fucking interview. Geee...Let's think about that....

BigDaddyCool
02-12-2008, 02:26 PM
So, you are saying RVD uses pot head logic?

Kane Knight
02-12-2008, 02:55 PM
So, you are saying RVD uses pot head logic?

Basically.

I think some of the most compelling evidence of the long-term effects of marijuana usage is evident when he opens his mouth and tries to justify it.

SammyG
02-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Went with RVD. I would much rather watch an RVD match, he's more entertaining. Also, the fact that everyone knows he is a huge pothead makes him 10 times better. In addition, I performed the Rolling Thunder on my brother once, and it was awesome.