PDA

View Full Version : How many people here actually use their PS3 for games?

Kane Knight
02-20-2008, 07:00 PM
Poll coming.

#BROKEN Hasney
02-20-2008, 07:11 PM
I didn't, which is why I sold it because I prefered the movies coming out for HD-DVD... Kinda wish I kept it now, but simply for blu-ray.

Kane Knight
02-20-2008, 08:41 PM
I didn't, which is why I sold it because I prefered the movies coming out for HD-DVD... Kinda wish I kept it now, but simply for blu-ray.

I bought mine primarily for Blu Ray. Uncharted is a fucking incredible game, but it's the only game I've actually purchased for the PS3. i have Motorstorm too, but fuck if I've played it.

I bought and HD-DVD player when it was on sale for like 90 bucks, and picked up some exclusives because I thought it was going to win. It's hard to believe the more expensive, more proprietary format would win, but it is.

I'm sure I'll get more games, but since it was about the same price for a Blu Ray player as it was for a PS3, I figured why not just buy the fucking console, you know?

Bad Company
02-20-2008, 09:44 PM
I got rid of my PS3.

ClockShot
02-20-2008, 10:11 PM
I use it for both.

weather vane
02-21-2008, 01:39 AM
Is the PS3 bad or something?

CSL
02-21-2008, 01:45 AM
I mostly use it for games

darkpower
02-21-2008, 02:20 AM
Right now, I only have games for it because I've only had it for a few weeks now and haven't had any chance to buy any movies for it yet.

Motorstorm is alright. There is a steep learning curve and it seems like the AI can always get more of an unfair edge than there should be in a game with the premise it has.

But yeah, I'm satisfied with my PS3 right now, and I'll be more than happy to try out some BR movies when I get the opportunity to.

What Would Kevin Do?
02-21-2008, 02:30 AM
I use it for both. It's the only dvd player in my house, so I use it for both regular dvds, and any Blu-ray I buy.. I might get Netflix later and rent more blu-rays through them... Or jut use Blockbuster, but they're fucking expensive. Gamewise, I use Gamefly, so I play plenty of games on it.

D Mac
02-21-2008, 02:34 AM

Yep. When you get a new game you have to load it on the Hard Drive and it takes 20 minutes. Fuck that.

Kane Knight
02-21-2008, 09:02 AM

Not strictly bad, but it lacks a lot of exclusives, and most of the time, 360 versions of multi-platform games are superior.

Yep. When you get a new game you have to load it on the Hard Drive and it takes 20 minutes. Fuck that.

That's not strictly true. I can only name two games which require a manual HDD install, and it's to prevent load times. Hell, I wish they had the option of an HDD install for mass effect, given that there's a load screen every ten steps.

What Would Kevin Do?
02-21-2008, 10:27 AM

What KK said. Only a few games have mandatory installs. The most notable being DMC4. The install also gets rid of pretty much all loading.

On a total side note, I also love the PS3s controller more than any other system out there. I seriously despise how the 360's controller feels.

Kane Knight
02-21-2008, 11:27 AM
What KK said. Only a few games have mandatory installs. The most notable being DMC4. The install also gets rid of pretty much all loading.

On a total side note, I also love the PS3s controller more than any other system out there. I seriously despise how the 360's controller feels.

I do wish the installs weren't mandatory where they are, but considering it's a very small number of games, it's hardly a huge system flaw. Though Sony would have been smart to not put a 1X BRD in a video game console.

I like the PS3's controller, to be honest, though I don't hate the 360s.

What Would Kevin Do?
02-21-2008, 01:03 PM
The only thing I don't like about the PS3's controller is it's sooooo fricking light. Can't wait for the dualshock, so it should have some weight on it.

Yeah, the mandatory part does bug me a bit... Mainly because it makes me worry about space (I have a 60GB model) and DMC4 for example, uses like 5 gigs. I already have some music, games, songs for Rock Band, and demos on it, plus pictures, so I'm a bit worried about space in the future... Granted I'll probably just put a bigger drive in it, but I'm pretty sure that'll void my warranty, so I'm holding off.

Kane Knight
02-21-2008, 01:28 PM
The only thing I don't like about the PS3's controller is it's sooooo fricking light. Can't wait for the dualshock, so it should have some weight on it.

Yeah, the mandatory part does bug me a bit... Mainly because it makes me worry about space (I have a 60GB model) and DMC4 for example, uses like 5 gigs. I already have some music, games, songs for Rock Band, and demos on it, plus pictures, so I'm a bit worried about space in the future... Granted I'll probably just put a bigger drive in it, but I'm pretty sure that'll void my warranty, so I'm holding off.

Yeah, the light controller makes me feel like I'm gonna break the damn thing.

I know what you mean. A 5 Gig install is a lot, even for the larger models. I bought an 80 GB model because I was (evidently erroneously) told that it had hardware BC, but still, 5 GB is like a 16th of my console's storage, assuming no room for the OS and whatnot.

In terms of upgrading, didn't they make the HDD upgradable intentionally?

What Would Kevin Do?
02-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Yes, they made it upgradeable intentionally. I'm not 100% sure if there's a size limit, but I'm pretty sure you can use any SATA desktop harddrive. I'm 100% positive you can use up to 250GB. Not sure about bigger though.

Kane Knight
02-21-2008, 02:34 PM
I'll upgrade eventually. I don't think it voids the warranty.

Azriel
02-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Use for both, but a little more for games.

LoDownM
02-21-2008, 07:33 PM
I use mine for both, way more gaming than movie watching tho.

Kane Knight
02-21-2008, 08:34 PM
I do want to say I'm not strictly badmouthing the system, though I think Sony did a lot of things wrong. The delay to push Blu Ray as a format really hurt them, costing them exclusives. Making it harder to code for basically was like giving support to Microsoft, even moreso than giving them a year to establish themselves as the leader of the pack. Not to mention, putting in a 1X Blu Ray drive pretty much screwed them, because anything they make that is more epic than the 360 can do will be bogged down by load times, bloated with redundant crap, require mandatory HDD installs (Which will probably be worse than DMC), or all three.

However, it does some things right. Uncharted is fucking amazing, and shows what the PS3 could do if people put effort into making it do so. Will it? Maybe, maybe not. That's a gamble. And if not for Blu Ray, I probably wouldn't have taken that gamble. But thanks to Blu Ray, I probably won't be disappointed, even if PS3 craps out in the games department.

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
02-21-2008, 10:36 PM
I'd never purchase any PS console while they still use the same controller model, it feels like I'm getting arthritis every time I use it.

I much prefer the 360 controller, which I also use for PC games.

darkpower
02-22-2008, 04:49 AM
I'd never purchase any PS console while they still use the same controller model, it feels like I'm getting arthritis every time I use it.

Would you've rather have had this as your controller for the PS3:

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/614/614736/e3-2005-playstation-3-the-controller-20060114112822893.jpg

Count your blessings if you think the current controller is in any way bad.

Kane Knight
02-22-2008, 08:47 AM
Your stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

darkpower
02-23-2008, 01:57 AM
Your stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

Okay, how is that stupid? PLEASE, seriously, tell me how.

That boomerang controller WOULD'VE been worse on the fingers than what we got.

Kane Knight
02-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Okay, how is that stupid? PLEASE, seriously, tell me how.

That boomerang controller WOULD'VE been worse on the fingers than what we got.

Synopsis:

Thank God for this shitty controller because they could have used an even shittier controller!

Yeah, that's pretty retarded, but I'm unsurprised you need it explained to you.

darkpower
02-23-2008, 02:51 PM
Synopsis:

Thank God for this shitty controller because they could have used an even shittier controller!

Yeah, that's pretty retarded, but I'm unsurprised you need it explained to you.

Again, seriously, how is that stupid? The controller design is the exact same design as we have had for every PS system, and it has actually been quite comfortable for me, and from what I've seen, no one really has too many complaints about it (except for that whole thing about the dualshock being left out, but we'll see that remedied in March).

So, again, not seeing where you're getting that the comment was stupid, because EVERYONE was relieved when we saw the sixaxis controller be the real controller above that boomerang thing.