PDA

View Full Version : Mayweather is supposedly getting paid $20 million to wrestle at Mania.

KingofOldSchool
02-25-2008, 08:25 PM
Discuss.

What Would Kevin Do?
02-26-2008, 04:51 AM
I'd kill for half that.

Londoner
02-26-2008, 05:11 AM
Lucky cunt. What i dont get about this whole thing is, hows it gonna work? The crowd were booing mayweather on raw, and yet big show destroys rey on the following smackdown. So im not sure how they're planning on ending or working this match, which i guess makes it even more interesting.

Dave Youell
02-26-2008, 05:38 AM
I can't beleive he's getting that much, that seems like a stupid amount.

Maybe if he's got some sort of sponsership deal with it, but I can't see Vince himself paying that much for it.

On an interesting side note, how much money do you think Wrestlemania makes on average from the last 5 years?

Londoner
02-26-2008, 05:44 AM
No idea, but btw, this feud has been on sky sports news all week.

DaVe
02-26-2008, 06:05 AM
And on their site Big Show was billed as 7'4'' so they're doing a good job in hyping this up.

Blue Demon
02-26-2008, 07:22 AM
I can't beleive he's getting that much, that seems like a stupid amount.

Kane Knight
02-26-2008, 08:07 AM
.....Wow.

Xero
02-26-2008, 08:54 AM
I'd expect a few million, but $20 million that someone who doesn't follow boxing wouldn't recognize? That's a waste of at least $10 million...

Mr. Nerfect
02-26-2008, 09:00 AM
Mayweather was a massive draw on PPV last year, so I'm guessing the WWE is hoping that Mayweather brings some of those numbers over to PPV.

My question to the WWE, though, would be how many of those boxing fans actually buy PPVs because they like Mayweather, or because they want to see a good fight?

It's a gamble by the WWE, that's for sure, but if it gets them coverage, and it gets them buys, I guess it pays off.

Londoner
02-26-2008, 09:03 AM
Yeah but how are they going to book the match itsself? I can't picture at all what the best way for it to go is.

CSL
02-26-2008, 09:04 AM
I'd be suprised if Vince was giving Mayweather $10m out of his own pocket, let alone 20

Xero
02-26-2008, 09:08 AM
Yeah but how are they going to book the match itsself? I can't picture at all what the best way for it to go is.

Mayweather will likely be on the apron most of the match and mainly strike Show when he's in. I give him five minutes tops in the ring.

The MAC
02-26-2008, 09:21 AM
just ten years ago Vince " couldn't " afford brets > million a year deal

Xero
02-26-2008, 09:29 AM
Well folks, it's only been a few days, but yet another thread has been turned into a Bret was screwed thread despite having absolutely nothing to do with Bret or the screwjob.

BRET SCREWED VINCE'S WALLET!

Dave Youell
02-26-2008, 09:47 AM
Mayweather will likely be on the apron most of the match and mainly strike Show when he's in. I give him five minutes tops in the ring.

Mayweather is a small guy, who obviously has great agility and is a heck of an athlete plus might have the whole ‘Rey in his corner’ thing

I can honestly see him doing some lucha shit

Tommy Gunn
02-26-2008, 10:01 AM
I'd never heard of him before No Way Out.

Avenger
02-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Then you're a tard.

Xero
02-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Neither have I, or many others I'm sure. Which, again, begs the question of why they would pay $20 million for someone who isn't well known. $20 million is for someone of Tyson's status (to the general public), not Mayweather.

Londoner
02-26-2008, 11:21 AM
Just cause you two dont know of him, doesn't mean he isn't well known.

Xero
02-26-2008, 11:25 AM
So you're saying that if you went on the street that you could find more people who actually knew who Mayweather is than wouldn't?

I don't doubt that people know him, but I DO doubt that enough people who know him would buy the PPV enough to make $20 million back, even if they got a shitload of press from it. They're either already buying the PPV or think wrestling is a joke.

Londoner
02-26-2008, 11:26 AM
After the hatton fight, im sure plenty of people over here know him, im in england btw. So yes im sure i could.

Btw i think this figure of $20m is aload of crap. He got around £7m(i think) for the hatton fight recently. illd imagine it would be around that if anything, still fucking loads though.

Outsider
02-26-2008, 12:01 PM
Can someone call Vince and tell him I'll do it for $10 and a sandwich.

It's a longshot, but there is a real chance I could end up with money and food here.

CSL
02-26-2008, 12:17 PM
Apparently Shane McMahon confirmed it is $20m :|

From Yahoo!

LOS ANGELES (AP)—Floyd Mayweather Jr. is a champion boxer and has tested his moves on “Dancing With the Stars.” Now the man many consider the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world is preparing to drop the gloves and do some wrasslin.’

A $20 million payday awaits the undefeated WBC welterweight champion when he takes on Big Show as part of WWE’s “WrestleMania XXIV” at Citrus Bowl in Orlando, Fla., on March 30.

“It’s entertainment. You have a chance to just be you and do what you want to do,” Mayweather said Monday after a chaotic Staples Center event that masqueraded as a news conference.

The boxer nicknamed “Money” clearly likes the way WWE does business.

“Wrestling takes care of business right on the spot,” Mayweather said. “Whatever they say they’re going to do, they do it right on the spot. There’s no waiting three, four, five months. Quick results, quick money. Quick big money, too.”

His manager Leonard Ellerbee and WWE executive Shane McMahon confirmed Mayweather’s eight-figure payday for the outdoor match to be shown on live on pay-per-view.
ADVERTISEMENT

Mayweather incited the couple hundred of already hyped fans at Staples Center by whipping out a thick wad of cash and repeatedly tossing $100, $50 and $20 bills into the crowd that had nearly as many women as men.

A mad scramble ensued, with a light pole nearly getting knocked over and two small children caught in the chaos. One lucky man emerged from the pileup clutching six $100 bills.

Mayweather played to the frenzied crowd after appearing from behind a black curtain wearing a New York Yankees jacket and cap. Fans shouted insults and the name of hometown hero Oscar De La Hoya at Mayweather.

“I run Vegas and I run L.A. and I will run the WWE,” he boasted.

At 5-foot-8, 150 pounds, Mayweather gives up big numbers to the bald Big Show, who stands 7-feet and weighs 430.

“I weigh three times as much as he does,” Big Show crowed. “It’s not fair, but I’m a businessman and I see an opportunity for business.”

Then he picked up the wooden podium and tossed it to the floor, where it splintered and the attached two mics lay like broken sticks. Clearly, Staples Center officials hadn’t expected the move.

Mayweather hopped onto a chair and exchanged glares with Big Show while WWE regulars Randy Orton, John Cena, Triple H and Edge looked on, witnessing a newcomer who clearly understands the theatrics of modern-day wrestling.

“WWE is the biggest it gets,” Mayweather said. “This is going to be an event like none other.”

Ellerbee scoffed that hard-core boxing fans won’t take Mayweather seriously after his WWE antics.

“After March 30, when Floyd goes out and takes care of his business at WrestleMania, he’s still going to be the best fighter in the world and the face of boxing,” he said. “Tell me what changes about that? Nothing changes.”

The wrestling gig is another part of Ellerbee’s carefully crafted plan to expand Mayweather’s fan base.

“Either I’m going to be a genius with this or I’m the biggest idiot,” he said. “Boxers have such a short window of opportunity. He can’t become any bigger in boxing.”
Floyd Mayweather, left, faces off with Big Show at a news conference at the Staples Center in Los Angeles on Monday, Feb 25, 2008. A $20 million payday awaits Mayweather, the undefeated WBC welterweight champion, when he takes on Big Show as part of WWE's "WrestleMania XXIV" in Orlando, Fla. on March 30.
Floyd Mayweather, left, faces …
AP - Feb 25, 7:41 pm EST

That’s why Ellerbee snagged Mayweather a spot on ABC’s reality hit “Dancing With the Stars.” Mayweather didn’t win the disco ball trophy, but he wasn’t the first one voted off, either.

“It crossed him over and took him into the households of many middle-aged Middle Americans and turned him into a mainstream superstar,” Ellerbee said. “Now when Floyd goes into the grocery store, the first thing 65-year-old ladies say is, `You’re Floyd from `Dancing With the Stars.”’

Mayweather plans to train with WWE Latino star Ray Mysterio, who wears a mask on his face.

“I’m outside the box,” he said, lapsing into the third person. “Floyd Mayweather is not just a fighter, he’s an entertainer. That’s what the world must know.”

But he hasn’t forgotten his night job.

Mayweather alluded to a possible rematch with De La Hoya in September. De La Hoya lost a split decision in their last bout May 5.

Stickman
02-26-2008, 12:27 PM
Funny how nobody in the live crowd seems to give a damn.

SammyG
02-26-2008, 12:33 PM
I get money, I get money. Mayweather is the man.

Londoner
02-26-2008, 12:49 PM
He wont even be able to perform a single wrestling move on the big show, yet he gets $20m? What aload of shite. they should make this no holds barred.

Jura
02-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Didn't Federline get 5 or 10 mil?

KingofOldSchool
02-26-2008, 12:54 PM

Too bad it's supposedly going to be a one-on-one match now that Mysterio is out.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing Mayweather completely go heel, say that he faked his friendship with Mysterio just so Show would attack Mysterio. Big Show would show remorse for what he did to Mysterio since he was only doing that to provoke a confrontation with Mayweather.

Then Mayweather can set up Show again by bringing out Big Daddy V. BDV attacks Show, laying him out which allows Mayweather to get some shots in on Show.

That way it can lead to Mayweather/BDV vs. Show or Mayweather/BDV vs. Show/a partner.

Xero
02-26-2008, 12:57 PM
I've heard Shane will be in Mayweather's corner.

It makes the most sense besides Rey.

IC Champion
02-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Wow, Vince can pay somone 20 Million on a one shot deal, but cant pay his wrestlers decent pay when compared to other sports with Cable and Network deals.

Londoner
02-26-2008, 05:24 PM
And what makes it worse is-mayweather isnt even a proper wrestler. I know he's been training, but surely that shouldn't mean he gets $20m? How bad will it look if he fucks up? :D

Lock Jaw
02-26-2008, 05:30 PM
I'd laugh if Big Show ate Mayweather in the middle of the ring.

Shane would be all like "NO, Big Show, NO! Remember your diet!" and then Show would be all "Mrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuu!"

St. Jimmy
02-26-2008, 09:01 PM
Money Money, Yeah Yeah, Money Money, Yeah Yeah.

Mr. JL
02-26-2008, 09:07 PM
If this is true then its a ridiculous decision by the WWE, but an absolute genius business move by Mayweather.

Testicle
02-26-2008, 09:13 PM
There is no way this amount is correct. 20,000,000 for one show, I doubt it. Even though it did get them a mention on PTI (a very shitty ESPN show) there is no way he is worth this much.

6to1
02-26-2008, 09:21 PM
damm that is hogan wcw money dumb move vince

Kane Knight
02-26-2008, 10:49 PM
Wow, Vince can pay somone 20 Million on a one shot deal, but cant pay his wrestlers decent pay when compared to other sports with Cable and Network deals.

Well, he thinks the crossover appeal is worth it, and doesn't give a shit about the wellbeing of his wrestlers.

I doubt the crossover appeal is sufficient to make it worth the expense, but whatever. It's not my money.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
02-27-2008, 12:16 AM
LT got a mil to wrestle Bam Bam Bigelow for 12 minutes at WrestleMania XI or was it IX?

The Mackem
02-27-2008, 02:14 AM
It's Wrestlemania baby!

The Mackem
02-27-2008, 02:16 AM
At least it's not going to Hogan.

Hanso Amore
02-27-2008, 05:51 AM
That is Mayweathers standard per fight. For his De La Hoya Fight, he got like 40 million.

Londoner
02-27-2008, 05:54 AM
Yeh but thats boxing, not wrestling...its his debut match and he gets that much? Whatever.

The Mackem
02-27-2008, 06:28 AM
Don't worry mate, he'll get his $40 million in his second match.

Mr. Nerfect
02-27-2008, 06:34 AM
So you're saying that if you went on the street that you could find more people who actually knew who Mayweather is than wouldn't?

I don't doubt that people know him, but I DO doubt that enough people who know him would buy the PPV enough to make $20 million back, even if they got a shitload of press from it. They're either already buying the PPV or think wrestling is a joke.

This is what my concern would be if I was concerned with the WWE's finances. Floyd Mayweather does well on boxing PPVs, but the audience may not be willing to crossover. Boxing is real (well, allegedly) :shifty:; wrestling is fake. This is generally known, and what the WWE is assuming is that Floyd Mayweather himself is the actual draw. I think it would more be his boxing ability, which is not questioned on a wrestling PPV.

If Floyd Mayweather went on a talk show, for example, would his boxing audience crossover? I'd answer with "probably not." If Floyd was boxing on the talk show? Maybe, if it was publicized enough.

That's why I think the WWE needs to play this up closer to boxing than wrestling. I wouldn't call it a "boxing match" or even contest it under boxing rules, but it needs to be advertised as if what Floyd Mayweather is going to do is legitimate shit, and not him appearing in professional wrestling as professional wrestling is.

Floyd Mayweather's ability is the draw, so the WWE needs to get people in with that. Not his necessarily his name.

Londoner
02-27-2008, 07:05 AM
Don't worry mate, he'll get his $40 million in his second match.

Ooooh ok, i hope so. :shifty:

Anybody Thrilla
02-27-2008, 01:54 PM
To be fair, it's not just one match. It's a No Way Out appearance, probably a couple more Raw appearances, and a Wrestlemania appearance. Still, pretty pricey.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
02-27-2008, 01:58 PM
Its a pretty bad investment though really, I mean they are definitely going to get a lot more coverage that they normally don't get, but they could have probably done something for a lot cheaper. I mean that Donald Trump thing got the WWE a lot of exposure last year (probably a lot more than Mayweather will this year) and I highly doubt they had to pay him nearly as much.

Rob
02-27-2008, 02:05 PM
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY Mayweather is getting $20 million. If he was, Wrestlemania would lose money.

IC Champion
02-27-2008, 03:16 PM
I see this finiacially failing for Vince, as Mania buys will be about the same as last year. I don't even see Vince getting a return on his 20 million.

Vince will then lose his mind and blame everyone backstage except himself.

Corkscrewed
02-27-2008, 11:03 PM
Even A-Rod doesn't get that much in a day.

Rob
02-28-2008, 04:16 PM
Mania last year did about $5.5 million at the gate and about 1.2 million buys on PPV worldwide. For arguements sake, let's say they did $60 million on PPV. Well the PPV companies take at least 50% of that so now they are down to $30 million. Then they have to pay for production, advertising (biggest ever last year too) and arena costs which if we be extremely generous let's say only cost $5 million. So they down to $30 million roughly now and they haven't paid any wrestlers, staff, medics, security, etc, etc. Oh and Vince McMahon and Donald Trump had something like $5 million pay offs for that show.

Now you think Vince McMahon is gonna give one man $20 million?

Londoner
02-28-2008, 04:29 PM
I think its bullshit even if its been 'confirmed'. You know, like how they bullshitted about mvp having the highest payed contract. Its an attempt to make wwe look bigger than it is.

Rob
02-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Well WWE is a public company so it's very weird they have had someone in power confirm that number. Especially when they don't confirm any numbers for wages ever.

Kane Knight
02-28-2008, 08:26 PM
This is what my concern would be if I was concerned with the WWE's finances. Floyd Mayweather does well on boxing PPVs, but the audience may not be willing to crossover. Boxing is real (well, allegedly) :shifty:; wrestling is fake. This is generally known, and what the WWE is assuming is that Floyd Mayweather himself is the actual draw. I think it would more be his boxing ability, which is not questioned on a wrestling PPV.

If Floyd Mayweather went on a talk show, for example, would his boxing audience crossover? I'd answer with "probably not." If Floyd was boxing on the talk show? Maybe, if it was publicized enough.

That's why I think the WWE needs to play this up closer to boxing than wrestling. I wouldn't call it a "boxing match" or even contest it under boxing rules, but it needs to be advertised as if what Floyd Mayweather is going to do is legitimate shit, and not him appearing in professional wrestling as professional wrestling is.

Floyd Mayweather's ability is the draw, so the WWE needs to get people in with that. Not his necessarily his name.

Basically, there will always be some crossover. Some, however, can be anything from a few to most. Assuming the 20 million dollar figure is correct, and it still sounds extreme, they'd need to get a lot of that audience to even reach a break even point. His bout was the highest grossing and most watched match in the history of PPV boxing, which is great, but that equals 2 million people, and with a gross of over 150 million, Mayeweather STILL "only" gets around 20 million. That alone screams "bullshit" to me.

Anyway, the question is whether Mayweather's involvement will interest enough boxing fans who aren't already wrestling fans to significantly influence the numbers and justify his salary, and the odds are on no at 20 million, and still no at significantly less.