PDA

View Full Version : Some whacked out news

Mr. Nerfect
03-02-2008, 11:35 PM
I don't know why, but I see all these pieces of news posted over at 411Mania.com, and they just strike me as worthy of discussion:

- Rey Mysterio's surgery is a new "state of the art" surgery to repair a torn bicep. If it works he could only miss 6-weeks. Regardless of the outcome, he is out of WrestleMaina as an "in-ring" performer.

- The philosophy regarding Chris Benoit and WWE 24/7 right now is that he can be shown as long as he in not in a match, promo, or a melee where he is a focal character. Basically Benoit will be likely to pop up in general video clips and nothing else.

- WWE has had a philosophical change as far as their announcing goes. As always they want to stress the story telling aspect, and less calling of holds. When major angles are being shot they want the announcers to lay out more, saying nothing because of the theory that it comes off as more realistic. Joey Styles has been specifically told to tone down, not raise his voice and to not call as many moves. Jim Ross has also gotten similar direction.

- Jonathan Coachman is getting a lot of heat lately due to the perception that he hasn't done a good job replacing JBL and offers nothing to the broadcasts. Also a few weeks back, when the Undertaker was brawling at ringside, Coachman stayed in position when the announcers were supposed to be selling fear and clear the announce position. After the show his punishment was having to go into the ring and take several of the main event talents' finishing moves.

- The live gate for the No Way Out PPV was over $800,000 and was a legit sellout with close to 13,000 paid.

- Ashley Massaro has been sent home, no other details are known on why.

Innovator
03-02-2008, 11:36 PM
Ashley gone? Good

Mr. Nerfect
03-02-2008, 11:41 PM
-Rey Mysterio might be back in six weeks? I really hope they don't rush him, even if the surgery is a success. Give him like twelve weeks off. The man is not what he used to be anyway, and could probably use the rest.

-I wish the WWE would just get over its Benoit phobia. It's not secret he was working for you, just present the performer as someone different to the person. Chris Benoit is one of the greatest wrestlers ever, and he deserves to be remembered as such, regardless of his outside actions.

-The WWE's announcer news isn't really that surprising, and once again the WWE seem at odds with JR on his style, although it has been traditionally the JR-style that the WWE loves. Poor Joey Styles. What is the purpose of hiring all these talented talkers if they're not allowed to talk?

-The Coach took finishing moves as punishment? It doesn't get much more carny than that. The poor guy. Wouldn't, I don't know, removing him from his fucking position be the better way to deal with this? Were they stiff moves? If so, is what the WWE did technically legal? Fuck, professional wrestling is a crazy world sometimes. Guys getting stiffed in the ring doesn't surprise me, but announcers getting the shit beaten out of them for doing a poor job reacting to something? Why hasn't Randy Orton had acid splashed on his face yet?

-Ashley Massaro was the most interesting girl to ever win the Diva Search, but that's not saying much. Paul London & Matt Hardy are the men for hitting that, but if she's released...good, quite frankly. And her entrance music was just getting the CD treatment, too.

Afterlife
03-03-2008, 03:41 AM
You know what? I think this is the most I"ve liked Coach since his initial heel turn back in the day. And it's beCAUSE he's not replacing JBL. All JBL ever did was an angry charicature of the King's heelish devil's advocate role. Coach is simply playing a realistic person, not too unlike Cole, and I find it easier to listen to than JBL's constant inanity.

Beyond that, I'm fairly indifferent about Rey and Ashley and far too quick to anger over the ignorance of the Benoit situation to get into it.

Tommy Gunn
03-03-2008, 03:44 AM
I like coach, but he doesn't bring much to the announcers table.

Mr. Nerfect
03-03-2008, 06:45 AM
Yeah, I like Coach well enough. I think he would make a great manager for Shelton Benjamin, or something, though. As a commentator, bring Bill DeMott back.

Afterlife
03-03-2008, 06:51 AM
Oh, yeah, because DeMott was so great that week he was on Velocity. What Coach "brings to the annouce table" is a new format for commentary. The constant bickering is not necessary.

Mr. Nerfect
03-03-2008, 06:52 AM
Oh, yeah, because DeMott was so great that week he was on Velocity. What Coach "brings to the annouce table" is a new format for commentary. The constant bickering is not necessary.

Um, that space of several months he was on Velocity, being one of the better commentators the WWE had? Compared to Coach, who is quite frankly, shit.

DaVe
03-03-2008, 07:00 AM
The Coach took finishing moves as punishment? It doesn't get much more carny than that. The poor guy. Wouldn't, I don't know, removing him from his fucking position be the better way to deal with this? Were they stiff moves? If so, is what the WWE did technically legal? Fuck, professional wrestling is a crazy world sometimes. Guys getting stiffed in the ring doesn't surprise me, but announcers getting the shit beaten out of them for doing a poor job reacting to something? Why hasn't Randy Orton had acid splashed on his face yet?

I've gotta angry. The behind the scenes of pro wrestling is what makes it even more of a joke than just the poor angles/fakeness. That 'punishment' is just embarrassing.

KingofOldSchool
03-03-2008, 07:41 AM
So they mention Rey's alternative surgery, yet fail to mention that the doctor who performed the surgery has been sued around 18 times for malpractice?

Theo Dious
03-03-2008, 09:52 AM
-The Coach took finishing moves as punishment? It doesn't get much more carny than that. The poor guy. Wouldn't, I don't know, removing him from his fucking position be the better way to deal with this? Were they stiff moves? If so, is what the WWE did technically legal? Fuck, professional wrestling is a crazy world sometimes. Guys getting stiffed in the ring doesn't surprise me, but announcers getting the shit beaten out of them for doing a poor job reacting to something?

I would like to point out, that Coach is an in-ring performer, and from what I've heard, has expressed a desire to be more of one. It's not like they're punishing the sound truck guys this way.

Theo Dious
03-03-2008, 09:54 AM
So they mention Rey's alternative surgery, yet fail to mention that the doctor who performed the surgery has been sued around 18 times for malpractice?

So WWE has finally hired...

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/7/70/222px-Dr_Nick.png

???

The Optimist
03-03-2008, 10:25 AM
I lol'ed @ the Coach argument. He's boring, and he's not trying to revolutionize commentary by bringing something new, or if he is he's doing a poor job.

Afterlife
03-03-2008, 03:25 PM
Did I say anything about revolution? Or did I say he was doing it differently? I'm pretty certain it was the latter. You tell me what he's doing that is classifiable as "shit", and maybe I'll start to believe you.

Oh, and you're right, DeMott was there for longer than a week. I just didn't give a damn.