PDA

View Full Version : Watching RAW, I was actually impressed with a few people...

Mr. Nerfect
03-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Chris Jericho was switched on. People seem relatively unimpressed with him since his return, but I think he has been pretty damn good in the ring for someone who has missed two years, and that he was damn good on the mic. He had expression, and he was actually pretty funny. Not "classic WCW Jericho" funny, but definitely funnier than DX funny.

Reading the report, it sounded like he was made to look like a complete goof to Jeff Hardy. It sounded like the fans were entirely behind Jeff, and that Jericho was outsmarted, outdone and out all the rest of it. Jeff got his fair share of boos for giving Jericho the Twist of Fate, though, and Jericho came off as someone that can be more than a threat to Jeff Hardy in the match. It was good stuff, and I am generally interested in the match, because...

Carlito and Cody Rhodes had a pretty darn awesome bout on RAW. These guys are either both really busting their asses, or they have great chemistry. There was some great wrestling here, and Carlito constantly impresses me, I don't care what anyone else says. Whether it be the way he reactions to a single fan screaming in the crowd, to the way he's made unmotivation part of his character, to the way that he busted out what looked to be Santino's version of the swinging neckbreaker. Instead of using a regular swinging neckbreaker in the match, he used his tag team partner's version. I was impressed. Cody Rhodes also took a sweet Backstabber.

Mr. Kennedy and John Cena didn't have a bad match. I still don't like Cena, but he is becoming more and more comfortable in his "crappy wrestler" role, and making it work for him. Kennedy is a damn good heel, and actually has some credibility built in to his ring style. I was one of the first to be on the bandwagon, and I am not giving up on him yet.

Santino Marella is constantly entertaining on the mic. He's not as bad as people make out in the ring, either. You mean he had some stinkers with Chris Masters? Well, he must be a lost cause then. Give the guy time. I hope he can become something.

Umaga's squashing of Super Crazy was pretty unspectacular, but Super Crazy sold that release swinging urange type move really well. The spin Crazy got was pretty awesome. I'm sure Umaga had a hand in it, though. Crazy plays dead really well, and Umaga's Samoan Spike/thumbs down pose after the match sent a great message. William Regal is also fucking awesome, and could easily be a colour commentator. Regal completely outclassed John Cena in the guest commentator spot that evening.

So yeah, this week, I was impressed with:

Chris Jericho
Carlito
Cody Rhodes
Mr. Kennedy
Santino Marella
Umaga
Super Crazy
William Regal

Is anyone on the RAW brand impressing you?

Xero
03-05-2008, 09:53 AM
I still say Jeff is a bad promo.

He's improved, but people saying he's "good" is stretching it.

Mr. Nerfect
03-05-2008, 09:56 AM
I still say Jeff is a bad promo.

He's improved, but people saying he's "good" is stretching it.

Yeah, I agree. He's acceptable now. His voice is not nearly as goofy, he actually has confidence, and he can deliver his lines without too much trouble. He's been able to do well on several occasions, though.

If I were Jeff Hardy's promo coach, I'd probably use the before and after to advertise myself, but Hardy is nowhere near great on the stick.

Loose Cannon
03-05-2008, 09:57 AM
I agree. I think he's ok, but he still has this generic delivery at times that you can see right through. But, he hits some lines flawlessly. I think with more live practice, he'll eventually get there.

I didn't see the main event, but Raw was ok. Nothing spectacular going on as we head to Mania, but it's alright. The only match I really care about right now is Flair/Shawn.

Mr. Nerfect
03-05-2008, 10:09 AM
I think it is something that the WWE keeps giving Jeff Hardy the mic. The same really goes for Shelton Benjamin. Neither of these guys is considered brilliant (although I think Shelton is actually underrated, and has been hilarious at times), but the WWE is getting them to cut short little promos on a consistent basis, or just deliver a catchphrase in different ways to see how the crowd reacts, and just get a feel for expression.

To me it says that the WWE sees these guys as works in progress, and that they want them to get better and really become a jack of all trades in there. It gives me hope that the WWE actually wants to turn these guys into stars.

Testicle
03-05-2008, 11:59 AM
How can you blame him for being bad on the mic. Before his main event push, he had probably had about 2min total of mic time in his WWE career.

I'm not saying he is good, but in time he will become better.

Kane Knight
03-05-2008, 12:25 PM
I didn't catch a lot of that, but I loved the Twist of Fate on Jericho. It's the only part of Raw I really gave a shit about.

Stickman
03-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Kennedy, Rhodes, Carlito, Super Crazy are terribly bland.

Mr. Nerfect
03-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Kennedy, Rhodes, Carlito, Super Crazy are terribly bland.

I can maybe get Cody Rhodes, but the others I'd have to disagree with.

Mr. Nerfect
03-05-2008, 04:24 PM
I didn't catch a lot of that, but I loved the Twist of Fate on Jericho. It's the only part of Raw I really gave a shit about.

I hope things pick up between Hardy and Jericho heading into WrestleMania. While I'm sure things will end between them at WrestleMania, I think a bit of a rivalry over the next few weeks would create a lot of interest and tension for the match.

Chris Jericho should challenge Jeff Hardy for the Intercontinental Championship, because he does hold a fall over Hardy. That match should go one of either two ways:

1) Chris Jericho defeats Jeff Hardy, and breaks his own record by winning his eighth Intercontinental Championship. This would give Jericho some gold, and make him look somewhat relevant in the WWE scene for the first time since returning. It would also build up Jericho historically, by playing up the records he has established. Hardy also doesn't need the IC Championship, and while it could be argued that Jericho doesn't either, Hardy is on the rise, whereas Jericho is where he is. Why keep an anchor on Hardy if the plan is to have him win MITB?

2) Shelton Benjamin, Mr. Kennedy, Carlito or one of the other competitors in the match runs out, and lays out both Chris Jericho and Jeff Hardy with a steel chair, or something, to build more heat towards the match. It feels like things haven't really been blurred between the guys yet. We have Jericho vs. Hardy, but no other real feuds in the match. I think Shelton should actually get more involved in the way things are turning out.

Mr. Nerfect
03-05-2008, 04:24 PM
But yeah, the Money in the Bank Ladder Match is one of the few matches I am interested in, and will actually go out of my way to watch (if it's any good).

Innovator
03-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Hardy getting an edge to him = a stronger character

Seriously, I can't get into the 3 way for Mania, I just want Hardy to cash in the MITB at the end to win it all.

Kane Knight
03-05-2008, 04:52 PM
A JEricho/Hardy feud would at least have me interested.

Testicle
03-05-2008, 06:39 PM
They've had pretty good matches in the past. Not only a couple weeks ago, but I remember a pretty good match between them at NWO 2003, right before Jeff got fired.

Jura
03-05-2008, 06:55 PM
Do you ever not agree with anyone Noid?

Mr. Nerfect
03-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Do you ever not agree with anyone Noid?

I agree with people a lot, actually.

Kane Knight
03-07-2008, 09:10 AM
I agree with people a lot, actually.

He asked "Do you ever not agree with anyone."

Just to clarify.