PDA

View Full Version : Films with Gender Issues

Gonzo
03-10-2008, 01:00 PM
I need to write a 3-5 page analysis of a film with gender issues. I can't use Fight Club because we watched it in class. Does anyone have any suggestions on films that present good gender issues (ie male v. female) that I may be able to write a paper about. Its for a sociology class (soc. of gender) and I basically just have to analyze it and spin it to how different sociological theories apply to/in the film.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :y:

El Vaquero de Infierno
03-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Bond films, I guess.

Triple A
03-10-2008, 03:58 PM
I can't think of many, but two that immediately come to mind are:

In the Company of Men - 2 guys really hate women. So they make a plan to really fuck with a random woman. They pick this deaf woman and both pretend to fall in love with her, only so they can crush her in the end. IMDb plot: "Two business executives--one an avowed misogynist, the other recently emotionally wounded by his love interest--set out to exact revenge on the female gender by seeking out the most innocent, uncorrupted girl they can find and ruining her life."

Buffalo 66 - Guy basically kidnaps and emotionally abuses a girl and makes her pretend she is his girlfriend to impress his parents. She is real timid and starts to fall in love with him. Shows her as a female as real weak and stuff.

If I think of any more I'll post them.

Kane Knight
03-10-2008, 04:12 PM
TransAmerica. What? It's a gender issue!

Gonzo
03-10-2008, 04:35 PM

In the Company of Men - 2 guys really hate women. So they make a plan to really fuck with a random woman. They pick this deaf woman and both pretend to fall in love with her, only so they can crush her in the end. IMDb plot: "Two business executives--one an avowed misogynist, the other recently emotionally wounded by his love interest--set out to exact revenge on the female gender by seeking out the most innocent, uncorrupted girl they can find and ruining her life."

Buffalo 66 - Guy basically kidnaps and emotionally abuses a girl and makes her pretend she is his girlfriend to impress his parents. She is real timid and starts to fall in love with him. Shows her as a female as real weak and stuff.

I may go with Buffalo 66. Sounds like it would easy to rip off a paper about that. Plus, seems interesting. Thanks.

also, lol @ KK

Vastardikai
03-10-2008, 11:44 PM
If you want to be clever, go with Antz, that has a male lead, which is a worker ant. Problem with this is that most worker ants are sterile FEMALES.

Side note: the same is true with Bee Movie, and a Bug's Life.

God damn am I sad person.

Gonzo
03-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Nah good suggestion. This teacher would like something out of the box like that. A kid's movie isn't something you would expect to write a film analysis on it, but it could work.

Kane Knight
03-11-2008, 05:09 PM
If you want to be clever, go with Antz, that has a male lead, which is a worker ant. Problem with this is that most worker ants are sterile FEMALES.

Side note: the same is true with Bee Movie, and a Bug's Life.

God damn am I sad person.

What about that movie that starred a cow, except he was supposed to be male?

I mean, he had a cow's udders....

Kane Knight
03-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Nah good suggestion. This teacher would like something out of the box like that. A kid's movie isn't something you would expect to write a film analysis on it, but it could work.

There are some amazingly deep kids movies, too. Kind of drawing a blank right now, because the last kid's movie I watched was Cars, and hardly an immensely deep indictment of society.

CSL
03-11-2008, 05:24 PM
There are some amazingly deep kids movies

Finding Nemo?

:shifty:

:nono:

Juan
03-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Sugar

Jeritron
03-12-2008, 02:10 AM
North Country, GI Jane, Boys Don't Cry, maybe Million Dollar Baby

that's all I can think of off the bat

Lara Emily
03-12-2008, 02:50 AM
What about that movie that starred a cow, except he was supposed to be male?

I mean, he had a cow's udders....

Barnyard I was thinking the same thing.

FakeLaser
03-12-2008, 07:01 PM
The Birds
American Psycho

Kane Knight
03-12-2008, 10:18 PM
Dogma could work. Not to mention Chasing Amy, though that's more sexuality issues. You could still make the argument, but it's a bit tougher than others.

Kane Knight
03-12-2008, 10:20 PM
Also, To Won Foo...

The Mask
03-12-2008, 10:28 PM

those both sound awesome