PDA

View Full Version : Stand alone episodes from long running dramas...

ct2k
03-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Yeah, what are some of your favourites? I mean episodes which could be a movie in their own right if lengthened, something that encompasses everything good about a particular show in a single episode...

Dunno how successful this'll be but I'll start with a fairly obvious one:

The Sopranos, Season 1 Episode 5 "College"

Yknow, the one where Tony and Meadow go on a trip up to New England to look at colleges whilst Carmela and Father Phil get a little too close for comfort back at home on a stormy night. Dunno I always felt this was one of the best episodes in all 6 series, almost a film-noir type feel to it. Also its the perfect example of a Sopranos episode, the clash between family life and mob life for Tony whilst he's on the trip, the marriage troubles between Tony and Carmela etc.

Just watching it now which is what made me think of a thread like this in the first place.

Feel free to share or leave this thread to die, either way:D

Loose Cannon
03-14-2008, 02:02 PM
Season five of 24 where the nerve gas gets into CTU and kills like half thier staff, including Edgar :(

RP
03-14-2008, 02:08 PM
I hated Edgar anyways. I think thats the last job that the guy playing Edgar has ever had. I think people actually think he died from nerve gas.

Loose Cannon
03-14-2008, 02:21 PM
come on, no way you didn't feel it when Edgar came running into the room and you knew he was dead and there was nothing anybody could do.

also, the episode in season five where the terrorsists took over the airport and took Jack and all hostage. Jack sent an old school distress call that Curtis and co were walking into a trap and only Lynn Mcgill how to interpret the call. So they had Curtis and them come in a different way and fuck everyone up

PapaGeorgio
03-14-2008, 04:33 PM
Edgar was pimp

But yeah was actually thinking of posting a similar idea for favorite episode of any show ever. I think a lot of Soprano episodes would be good contenders for you topic.

However for my I would think of some Homicide Life in the Street episodes were good. My favorite episode of all time is like the 4th or 6th episode of Homicide where it is all just an entire interrogation scene working on a guy trying to break him. Shit is just so intense and crazy. Also there were a few good movie episodes in the series. One being where Bruno Kirby guest starred as a killer. Instead of the episode being focused on the Homicide detectives it was focused on him trying to kill a detective to get revenge. Shit was so intense, homicide ftw.

Skippord
03-14-2008, 10:32 PM
come on, no way you didn't feel it when Edgar came running into the room and you knew he was dead and there was nothing anybody could do.

also, the episode in season five where the terrorsists took over the airport and took Jack and all hostage. Jack sent an old school distress call that Curtis and co were walking into a trap and only Lynn Mcgill how to interpret the call. So they had Curtis and them come in a different way and fuck everyone up
That episode rules

mitchables
03-15-2008, 12:02 AM
The season 2 finale of Weeds. That episode is pretty much demonstrative of everything I love about the show.

Blitz
03-15-2008, 12:47 AM
Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Season 7 Episode 17 "Lies My Parents Told Me"-I could do a friggin' essay on amazing Buffy eps, but this is a personal favourite, not usually mentioned in the same breath as classic eps like The Body, Hush, Fool For Love, etc.. Spike is the man, plain and simple, Giles' character continues to deepen, and it contains one hell of a performance from DB Woodside as Robin Wood. I still get chills when I watch the scene where Wood beats the hell out of Spike and screams "WHEN YOU SNAPPED HER NECK!"

Angel: Season 5 Episode 15 "A Hole In The World"-Season 5 of Angel is in my opinion, one of the finest seasons of any TV show ever. This ep starts light and comical and turns super serious in a second. Uniformly great performances from all the cast, but Alexis Denisof and Andy Hallett go to another level.

Six Feet Under: Season 5 Episode 12 "Everyone's Waiting"-Now this is the way you do a season finale. Watch that ending montage and try not to get goosebumps.

The Sopranos: Season 5 Episode 12 "Long Term Parking"-Ade's death? Come on :(

Heroes: Season 1 Episode 17 "Company Man"-Noah Bennett>*

ct2k
03-15-2008, 06:15 AM
The Six Feet Under season finale was so sad, I've still not gotten over Keith's bit:'(

El Fangel
03-15-2008, 06:23 AM
Lost - Season 2 - Episode 1

No spoilers, look it up.

Splaya
03-16-2008, 05:02 PM
ER- There are many episodes that could stick out, but the episode I would choose was when Lucy and Carter were both stabbed by Paul Sobriki the Schizo. They spent the 2nd half of the 2 parter trying to save both, but they were only able to save Carter. I remember crying a little when they said Lucy was dead.

Buffy- The season finale of season 2. This was where Buffy and Angel had their big fight that had been drawn out for close to 7-10 episodes. The fight was awesome but then Angel's soul was restored and he and Buffy were having a moment. Then Buffy realized hell was about to open up so she had to stab Angel with the sword and send him to hell. The next 5 minutes were spent by the gang wondering where Buffy was, and then it was Buffy who was shown on a bus leaving SunnyDale. It just brought a tear to my eye.

24- Season 4 Episode 8 I think. Audrey and Jack go to this computer survelliance place to find clips so Audrey can indentify a man believed to now be a terrorist. Terrorists find them and Jack makes a phone call with Audrey wondering who he is calling. Jack ends up saying "The Only man I can trust right now". Fast forward 10 minutes, and the terrorists have Jack and Audrey cornered. All of a sudden shots ring out, and TONY FUCKING ALMEIDA APPEARS AND SAVES THE DAY. HUGE MARKOUT MOMENT

Mr. Nerfect
03-20-2008, 09:48 AM
Edgar was pimp

But yeah was actually thinking of posting a similar idea for favorite episode of any show ever. I think a lot of Soprano episodes would be good contenders for you topic.

However for my I would think of some Homicide Life in the Street episodes were good. My favorite episode of all time is like the 4th or 6th episode of Homicide where it is all just an entire interrogation scene working on a guy trying to break him. Shit is just so intense and crazy. Also there were a few good movie episodes in the series. One being where Bruno Kirby guest starred as a killer. Instead of the episode being focused on the Homicide detectives it was focused on him trying to kill a detective to get revenge. Shit was so intense, homicide ftw.

You have very good tastes, my friend. Homicide: Life on the Street was a great show. I think the first episode you are referring to is "Three Men and Adena." That I can remember the name of a murder victim from the beginning of the series is testament to the show's power.

The second episode you are referring to is an interesting mention. I think I know the one you are talking about. The guy didn't wire an air conditioning unit properly, and a bunch of people were killed by the leak, and the detective investigated and charged him with the crime? I love the scene where this detective, who is perhaps the most intelligent of the lot, finds himself at the mercy of this bumbling idiot, and he actually breaks down in fear. Most shows would feature the main character just kicking ass, but Homicide actually has its detective brought to the mercy of a fool. Or I might be thinking of an entirely different episode.

Other notable episodes of Homicide: LOTS, in my opinion, are "Kaddish" and "Subway." Kaddish featured on the detectives (John Munch, portrayed by Richard Belzer, who has played the same character in about ten television shows) investigates the death of a girl he liked in high school. Subway guest starred Vincent D'Onofrio as a man who got pushed into a subway and became trapped between the vehicle and the platform, with his chances of survival being pretty much non-existent, and homicide being called in to investigate as the victim is still technically alive and conscious.

There's also episodes like "Doll's Eyes," and the movie that finalised the series. "Crosetti" had some great moments. The episode where Junior Bunk shot up the station, and the resulting war against drugs in Baltimore? Fucking intense. Hell, all the episodes of that show are worth watching. Definitely check that show out if you haven't already, people.

Mr. Nerfect
03-20-2008, 09:51 AM
It's not a dramatic series, but check out episode four of the first season of Scrubs (I think), entitled "My Old Lady." "My Lunch" from season five is also a great one to check out. Some great drama in that comedy series. Better than most dramas. Also, the episodes with Brendan Fraser...wow. I am aware that sounds sarcastic, but it's not.

Loose Cannon
03-20-2008, 08:37 PM
yea Splaya, that one was sweet as well

Destor
03-21-2008, 03:45 AM
Blitz hit the nail on the head with "A Whole in the World." I can't add anything to that. One of the hardest things I've ever watched.

Destor
03-21-2008, 04:00 AM
...other than "The Body."

Mr. Nerfect
03-22-2008, 09:08 AM
I might have to check out Buffy and Angel more than I have. I used to watch Buffy a bit, but never really got too into it (I think the only whole season I have watched is the first). I've flicked over onto Angel like once, but people seem really big on it. Especially the last season.

Can anyone tell me if it is worth buying Season 5 of Angel without having watched the previous seasons?

Mr. Nerfect
03-22-2008, 09:21 AM
I don't know how I could have mentioned Homicide: Life on the Street without bringing up the episode called "Prison Riot." That's the one hour of television that inspired Oz.

Blitz
03-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Watch the other seasons of Angel first.

Lock Jaw
03-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Personally I think season 2-4 of Angel are way better than season 5.

Savio
03-22-2008, 04:13 PM
Hey Arnold - "Longest Monday"

Where Arnold and the other forth graders have to escape the 5 graders from shoving them in the trash and they get pick off 1 by 1

Destor
03-22-2008, 05:16 PM
Personally I think season 2-4 of Angel are way better than season 5.
Nah season 5 had the wit that Buffy had while still having the weight Angel carried. Angel season 5 is Ms.Kitty Fantastico.

Splaya
04-21-2008, 03:21 PM
Buffy- The season finale of season 2. This was where Buffy and Angel had their big fight that had been drawn out for close to 7-10 episodes. The fight was awesome but then Angel's soul was restored and he and Buffy were having a moment. Then Buffy realized hell was about to open up so she had to stab Angel with the sword and send him to hell. The next 5 minutes were spent by the gang wondering where Buffy was, and then it was Buffy who was shown on a bus leaving SunnyDale. It just brought a tear to my eye.

24- Season 4 Episode 8 I think. Audrey and Jack go to this computer survelliance place to find clips so Audrey can indentify a man believed to now be a terrorist. Terrorists find them and Jack makes a phone call with Audrey wondering who he is calling. Jack ends up saying "The Only man I can trust right now". Fast forward 10 minutes, and the terrorists have Jack and Audrey cornered. All of a sudden shots ring out, and TONY FUCKING ALMEIDA APPEARS AND SAVES THE DAY. HUGE MARKOUT MOMENT

Watched both of these today. Huge emotion in both episodes.

Avenger
04-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Boston Legal: Season 2: "Stick It" Amazing episode where a woman refuses to pay her taxes on basis of her opposition to government policies; mainly so memorable due to Alan Shore's (James Spader) closing argument in court.

Dawson's Creek: Season 4: Season Finale: High school is over, Pacey has left on his round the world cruise and Dawson and Joey are looking forward to spending their last summer together before College but Dawson gets accepted to film school early and has to leave before he thought. Dawson, Joey, Jack and Jen go to the cinema to see a screening of American Graffiti of all movies (greatest teen movie ever, all about the last night before college). Episode finishes with 15 minutes of Dawson and Joey lying in bed romanticising in the past and what's to come. Episode ends with Mary Beth Maziarz serenading us with Daydream Believer. Where Dawson's Creek should have ended, the true end of an era was represented in this episode. Great television. They don't make them like these anymore.

Avenger
04-21-2008, 03:51 PM
I need to watch 24. Only saw Season 1.

Avenger
04-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Actually I saw season 2 aswell I just realised.

Will start Season 3 tonight, but I will not be held responsible for what I do to Arabs in Uni tomorrow.

El Vaquero de Infierno
04-21-2008, 05:12 PM
Nah season 5 had the wit that Buffy had while still having the weight Angel carried. Angel season 5 is Ms.Kitty Fantastico.

Season 5 was also great in that Connor only appeared in about 2 episodes. But they killed off Fred, which made me very sad. :(

Triple A
04-21-2008, 05:45 PM
The Sopranos episode when Tony almost fucks Adriana always comes to mind as my fav ep. Love that fucking episode. Also the couple of weird "dream" episodes they had, I always loved those. Fucking Sopranos, amazing.

Avenger
04-21-2008, 07:07 PM
It's hard to beat the Sopranos.

Disturbed316
04-22-2008, 03:42 PM
It was really sad when Edgar died. Like LC said, you knew he was gonna die and there wasn't anything they could do :(

Speaking of 24, the end of season 3 was good, really emotional. It showed that even tough guys like Jack Bauer can shed a few tears. Also, in season 6, the ep when Jack shoots Curtis (:() and then the nuclear bomb goes off about a minute later.

Nip/Tuck had some good episodes in season 2 and 3, what with The Carver storyline. The season finale for both series had a great endings. After that it kind of died down, untill the end of season 4 when Escobar Gallardo came back...and we all know how that ended up.

Destor
04-23-2008, 07:18 PM
Season 5 was also great in that Connor only appeared in about 2 episodes. But they killed off Fred, which made me very sad. :(
Yeah, that's the ep Blitz and I were hamming on earlier, "A whole in the world." Intense ep.

Mr. Nerfect
04-24-2008, 06:03 AM
The Sopranos episode when Tony almost fucks Adriana always comes to mind as my fav ep. Love that fucking episode. Also the couple of weird "dream" episodes they had, I always loved those. Fucking Sopranos, amazing.

I regret not having watched as much Sopranos as I should have, but I remember this one where Tony was in hospital, or something, and he imagined he was someone else, and it was like a giant metaphor for him heading towards the light, or something. Maybe I remember incorrectly, so it might be hard to know the one I am talking about, but it had Steve Buschemi in it offering to take a briefcase. Fuck, I love Steve Buschemi.

I have to watch more Sopranos.

Loose Cannon
04-24-2008, 01:12 PM

this is the one with the car accident or no?

yea, I forgot the Sopranos when I posted. My fav epsiode is prob the 2nd to last one, "Blue Comet" or the one where Chris and Paulie go to the Pine Barens and chase that Russian guy or whatever.

BTW, I wish A&E would air episodes everyday and not every Sunday.

ct2k
04-27-2008, 06:28 AM
Tony Soprano: [over the phone] It's a bad connection so I'm gonna talk fast! The guy you're looking for is an ex-commando! He killed sixteen Chechen rebels single-handed!
Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri: Get the fuck outta here.
Tony Soprano: Yeah. Nice, huh? He was with the Interior Ministry. Guy's like a Russian green beret. He can not come back and tell this story. You understand?
Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri: I hear you.
[hangs up]
Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri: You're not gonna believe this. He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. Guy was an interior decorator.
Christopher Moltisanti: His house looked like shit.

lol come on, is that writing at its finest or what?

Confused
04-27-2008, 07:02 AM
Tony Soprano: [over the phone] It's a bad connection so I'm gonna talk fast! The guy you're looking for is an ex-commando! He killed sixteen Chechen rebels single-handed!
Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri: Get the fuck outta here.
Tony Soprano: Yeah. Nice, huh? He was with the Interior Ministry. Guy's like a Russian green beret. He can not come back and tell this story. You understand?
Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri: I hear you.
[hangs up]
Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri: You're not gonna believe this. He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. Guy was an interior decorator.
Christopher Moltisanti: His house looked like shit.

lol come on, is that writing at its finest or what?

LMFAO. Still about the funniest bit in the Sporanos!

Confused
04-27-2008, 07:10 AM
The pilot episode of The Shield.

They build the episode on the premise that its gonna be about a cop trying to bring a team of corrupt cops to justice. Then they floor you at the end of the episode with an incredible moment.

If you haven't seen the Shield, you need to.