PDA

View Full Version : Should I or Shouldn't I?

Stickman
03-25-2008, 01:32 PM
So I have an xbox but they obviously dont' make games for that anymore. I'm thinking of trading it in to get a 360 but has that ship sailed? Is some other system going to come out in a year that will make 360 obsolete?

Destor
03-25-2008, 01:39 PM
You could still get a little out of an X-box. But not a whole lot. And no, nothing is one the horizon. 360 is a safe (and smart) buy.

Kris P Lettus
03-25-2008, 01:47 PM
360s are awesome..

I will be getting one in the near future for Fable II alone..

Destor
03-25-2008, 02:27 PM
fuck right Fable II. Looks great...but the origional did look like it was going to be the greatest game of all time...

Stickman
03-25-2008, 03:33 PM
When is the next game console coming out?

Destor
03-25-2008, 03:38 PM
Probably 5-8 years from now.

G
03-25-2008, 05:32 PM
It's got at least 3 years left, with some very worthwhile titles coming/already out.

U-Warrior
03-25-2008, 08:53 PM
I would say its got more than 5 years. One of Microsofts biggest regrets is that they did not get the full potential out of the xbox. At the time, their best bet was to focus solely on 360, despite the life xbox still had in it.

So I'd bet they're going to want to get as much out of the 360 as possible.

Mayo
03-26-2008, 12:45 AM
I am also pondering this, as I have a PS2 and was looking to upgrade but not sure if I should spend the money.

Anyone have any pros/cons with PS3 vs. 360 (besides the blu ray)?

Requiem
03-26-2008, 01:03 AM
360 has a larger and currently better library. It is the one to buy if you prefer shooters and sports games.

PS3 has better hardware, but not a very large library of quality games yet. The system for primarily RPGs and those 'types' of games.

Honestly would go with a 360 if you had to choose one or the other. It is amazing, and there are so many quality games on it that it would be well worth it.

Mayo
03-26-2008, 01:12 AM
360 has a larger and currently better library. It is the one to buy if you prefer shooters and sports games.

PS3 has better hardware, but not a very large library of quality games yet. The system for primarily RPGs and those 'types' of games.

Honestly would go with a 360 if you had to choose one or the other. It is amazing, and there are so many quality games on it that it would be well worth it.
hmm I used to love RPG's and such back in the day but lately I don't think I can be glued to a single video game for that many hours. Shooters aren't really my thing either but I do like sports. Another point that affect me is that a few of my friends that I don't see very often have 360 so I can play them online, therefore pointing me towards Xbox right now.

What Would Kevin Do?
03-26-2008, 03:45 AM
PS3 is a pretty much future perfect blu-ray player. IT has an easily upgradeable harddrive (you can use pretty much any laptop harddrive, and it's easy to switch.) Sony is really pushing downloadable games for the PSN, basically telling developers that they'll help market games they want to put on PSN, and the developer can make their own price as well. I also beleve Sony is offering development software as well for this.

Sony has also been prety good about DLC for first party games (Resistance, Folklore, Motorstorm) and I don't see that happening in the future.

Home may or may not be good, we'll see.

The list of upcoming games coming out is pretty impressive, despite the current library being somewhat weak.

While I doubt you'll care, as I really don't, the connection PS3 has with PSP is amazing. Pretty much, you can use your PSP to access movies, music, pictures, etc, on your PS3, through wifi. Also, PSP has skype now, and is getting GPS in the future.

The DVD upscaler in the PS3 is great as well. Plus, it plays DiVX and Xvid now, which is nice as well (basically it plays all the shit I have on my external HD when I hook it up to it.)

So basically, PS3 is the weaker gaming system now, but it's library will be improving. The biggest problem seems to be the quality of ported games, but hopefully that'll improve soon, especially since the PS3's base is getting better. Also, I believe Sony is now offering incentives for developers to make them on the PS3 first, and port them to the 360, because it gives less problems all around. As a media player though, PS3 is amazing. Although I hate Europe since they'll be getting the DVR for their PS3.

Anywho, those are some reasons. They could be organized better, but I just listed them off the top of my head.

Funky Fly
03-26-2008, 04:33 AM
If most or all of the xbox games you own are on this list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_compatible_with_Xbox_360), then go ahead and upgrade.

The 360 rocks my cock. XBOX Live Arcade is pretty sweet, lots of great shooters and sports titles and a nice little smattering of action and rpg games. Of course, I'll eventually get a PS3 (for RPGs, Tekken 6 and Those sweet sweet 1st party titles), but for now I've got a hard on for Microsoft ( :eek: ).

Outsider
03-26-2008, 06:24 AM
360 has Halo 3 and Mass Effect.

Go buy one.

...Now.

darkpower
03-26-2008, 06:45 AM
MS gave a big fuck you to any XB owners by focusing its support solely on the 360, so for getting any more life without upgrading by that point, you're fucked. As soon as that came out, it was like the original XBox never existed.

Now, as far as the 360 goes to go on the trend of my opinions about the two systems, it has the strongest lineup of existing games. Mass Effect, the Halo series, BioShock, & Dead Rising are a few games that are considered some of the best of the bunch. However, the red ring of death is the number of the beast on the 360 right now, and it never seems to just go away, no matter what MS tries to do to patch it up. Also, the lineup of games that the 360 has this year is not as strong as it was the past few years. GTA4 is only going to be good for MS if they can really push the two exclusive episodes they got from a deal. Gears of War 2 will be good, but by the time it comes out, it could be a little late to change anything. And not much hype is on Ninja Gaiden 2 (sadly).

The PS3, on the other hand, is just now getting a decent software hand of existing games (Heavenly Sword, Motorstorm, MLB08, Folklore, Uncharted are among the best of the current pack). The number of the beast on them: THAT! The lineup of exclusive games out right now aren't as numerous. However, it seems that, with them, the getting is starting to get good. They have the strongest lineup of games coming out for the system this year. Home is looking to start betaing sometime before summer, GTA4 will more than likely sell well on the PS3, GT5P is probably going to be a killer app for the casuals, and I'm crossing my fingers that we'll see FF13 (strong possibility we will see it this year). However, THE presumed killer app of the year is all PS3s: Metal Gear Solid 4. The game Kojiama couldn't fit onto a 50GB blu-ray without cutting extra language tracks out. That comes out in June. Also, the PS3 is with the Blu-Ray movie player, the PSN Store is getting a facelift in a week or so (FINALLY), its hardware is more reliable, and with the sales figures finally going in Sony's favor, more developers are going to be following that and making games with Sony's standards in mind. The install base still isn't good yet, but it could be by years end.

But to answer your question: Definitely upgrade, since your Xbox1 doesn't mean shit to Microsoft (you tell me why they went that route, we'll both know).

Stickman
03-26-2008, 02:06 PM
So basically, it's going to be awhile before anything else comes out so I should get the 360?

darkpower
03-26-2008, 02:08 PM
So basically, it's going to be awhile before anything else comes out so I should get the 360?

Yeah, pretty much. I know, I don't like the way that happened either, but it is pretty much the truth.

You should look into at least upgrading.

Funky Fly
03-26-2008, 04:45 PM

You're looking at 3 years minimum.

Stickman
04-07-2008, 01:21 PM
So I went to EB Games to see what they'd give me for my xbox. They said 10 bucks for an xbox and they want at least 350 for a new one. WTF

Boomer
04-07-2008, 01:29 PM
I asked Gamestop them how much they bought used 360s, and was told it was 110 store credit and around 90 bucks cash.

I sold it online.

Stickman
04-08-2008, 01:31 PM
HOw much do you guys think I could sell an xbox for?

KingofOldSchool
04-08-2008, 03:17 PM
I asked Gamestop them how much they bought used 360s, and was told it was 110 store credit and around 90 bucks cash.

I sold it online.

That's why you NEVER trade anything in at Gamestop.

KingofOldSchool
04-08-2008, 03:18 PM
HOw much do you guys think I could sell an xbox for?

If it's complete and in perfect working condition, probably between $40-60. It's best to bundle it up with a few games you don't want or isn't compatible with the 360.

Stickman
04-08-2008, 05:43 PM
If it's complete and in perfect working condition, probably between $40-60. It's best to bundle it up with a few games you don't want or isn't compatible with the 360.

I think I got a guy here at work I can sell it to for $50. How do i find what games are compatable with a 360?

Mayo
04-08-2008, 08:50 PM
I got a 360 today from my friend with 2 wireless controllers, 5 original xbox games and 5 360 games for $240 CAD, I think that was a genius fucking deal by me :P

KingofOldSchool
04-08-2008, 09:05 PM
I think I got a guy here at work I can sell it to for $50. How do i find what games are compatable with a 360?

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm

Kris P Lettus
04-10-2008, 01:07 PM
So I went to EB Games to see what they'd give me for my xbox. They said 10 bucks for an xbox and they want at least 350 for a new one. WTF

Why are you surprised by this??

Tubed tv and VCRs aren't worth shit either, FYI..

Funky Fly
04-10-2008, 11:10 PM

If most or all of the xbox games you own are on this list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_compatible_with_Xbox_360), then go ahead and upgrade.

The 360 rocks my cock. XBOX Live Arcade is pretty sweet, lots of great shooters and sports titles and a nice little smattering of action and rpg games. Of course, I'll eventually get a PS3 (for RPGs, Tekken 6 and Those sweet sweet 1st party titles), but for now I've got a hard on for Microsoft ( :eek: ).

Nigga what?

Stickman
04-14-2008, 12:29 PM
Why are you surprised by this??

Tubed tv and VCRs aren't worth shit either, FYI..

The reason I'm surprised is I still see Xbox games being sold for 30 bucks.

Fryza
04-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Things sold will always be much higher than things bought. Some games are ridiculously expensive (Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and DDR Mario Edition are good examples), but are only gonna trade in for a few bucks, fifteen probably max.

That is how pawn shops and GameStop make money. Buy cheap, sell high.

Funky Fly
04-15-2008, 04:19 AM
Yup, my copy of Marvel vs Capcom 2? $120. :|