PDA

View Full Version : What do you miss about WCW?

Rollermacka
03-25-2008, 10:17 PM
The reason I dont like ECW on Scfi is because they dont have any of the things that the original ECW make great. The high flying Luchadors, the sucicidal risks, the hardcore matches period are all gone. What are some aspects of WCW did you really like and miss? What are some things you'd like to see come back? I miss the crusierweight division from WCW. The matches between Kaz Hayashi, Evan Karagias and Shane Helms always entertained and I think that a crusierweight tag team divison was kinda far streached but I'd like to see more high flying tag teams. Which brings me to my next thing which is I want to see more accomplishing tag teams in the WWE. I dont mean stick miz and morrison together to beat champs the rivals MVP and Matt but to make a tag team like Jinjrak and O' Hare, Styles and Air Paris or Kronik (who actually elimated each other at diffrent Royal rumble matches) or get accomplished tag teams like the Stiener Bros, or LOD (maybe Vice can call Animal and Bryan Clark and make a super tag team :shifty:) and have them wrestle in a division and make tag team wrestleing mean something. What else do you miss about WCW?

PS Nitro Girls :drool:

FourFifty
03-25-2008, 10:19 PM
The only thing I miss about WCW is it had a habit of putting Vince in check, where he HAD to pull out his best stuff and put on a hell of a show. Since he's the only dog in the yard now he can shit all over the place now.

El Fangel
03-25-2008, 10:31 PM
The only thing I miss about WCW is it had a habit of putting Vince in check, where he HAD to pull out his best stuff and put on a hell of a show. Since he's the only dog in the yard now he can shit all over the place now.

Kane Knight
03-25-2008, 10:37 PM
Cruisers had a spot on the card.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pulling for cruiserweights to dominate the big guys, but the CW title was used frequently, and mattered about as much as any undercard title can be expected to. It allowed me to get my fix of weekly athleticism before watching the soap operas...

Competition: because it kept Vince in line.

Variety: Because if one bored me on Monday Night, I could switch to the other and had a decent shot at being entertained.

Fox
03-25-2008, 10:39 PM
I miss seeing stars like Nash, Hogan, Flair, Sting, Goldberg, DDP, the Steiners, and others wrestle each other every monday night.

I miss the awesome cruiserweight matches.

I miss Diamond Dallas Page, the People's Champion.

More than anything I just miss the incredible pomp and overblown atmosphere of Monday Nitro.

FourFifty
03-25-2008, 10:40 PM

Where's Know Your Role when you need him?

Fox
03-25-2008, 10:43 PM
DDP was People's Champ first.

FourFifty
03-25-2008, 10:46 PM
Ask any casual fan who the people's champ was, and they'll give you the same answer.

Heros Welcome
03-25-2008, 10:47 PM
http://users.chariot.net.au/~abgauci/Diamond_Dallas_Page.jpg

FourFifty
03-25-2008, 10:57 PM
No one that does yoga could be the "People's" anything.

Bad Company
03-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Because I liked it better than the WWF :(
They actually had an undercard.

dablackguy
03-25-2008, 11:07 PM
Top to bottom it was a better show

dablackguy
03-25-2008, 11:07 PM
Well... BEFORE Vince Russo came along

Halbowsky
03-25-2008, 11:10 PM
War Games...and I don't mean this Lethal Lockdown we have now

dablackguy
03-25-2008, 11:14 PM
War games was THE SHIT

Road Warrior
03-26-2008, 09:22 AM
A Tag team divison, crusier weights, "gang warfare"

Outsider
03-26-2008, 09:52 AM
I miss the chance that someone unexpected will show up on a show. Nothing can shock anymore.

While it wasn't true in the 90s, by the end of WCW they were letting a lot of their talent rise to the surface.

Their commentators were better.

Their wrestlers were actually over with the crowd who turned up.

Thuder was a B show, but at least it you knew it was a B show.

Theo Dious
03-26-2008, 11:27 AM
What do you miss about WCW?

http://www.attitudetees.com/graphics/nwo24.jpg

Johnny Vegas
03-26-2008, 12:15 PM
- How over DDP was and should've had the title sometime in '98
- The Crow Sting character and every fucking thing about him
- nWo late '96-'97
- Macho Man's 'madness' character
- Alex Wright's cocky dance
- Jericho v. Cruiserweights
- Fall Brawl/War Games
- Bobby Heenan & Tony S. commentary
- Eddie G.
- Booker T (very underrated in WCW during the TV title days)
- TV title when it was at its peak
- Nitro when it was at the beach/poolside

BigDaddyCool
03-26-2008, 12:29 PM
all the crazy shit...then again TNA does much more crazy shit.

Kalyx triaD
03-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Any company that has Silk the Shocker in an angle and gives David Arquette a World Title doesn't deserve to die.

Stickman
03-26-2008, 02:10 PM
NWO
Horsemen
Something different.

Rammsteinmad
03-26-2008, 02:49 PM
Pretty much everything that's already been said.

Also, O'Haire getting a good push. :(

Fox
03-26-2008, 03:43 PM
Also, Blitzkrieg.

Hanso Amore
03-26-2008, 05:21 PM
Sweet Video Games with Foreign wrestlers with fake names.

Johnny Vegas
03-26-2008, 05:39 PM
WCW had some good camera work with entrances too

FourFifty
03-26-2008, 06:50 PM
P
Also, O'Haire getting a good push. :(

For the record Sean O'Haire was never pinned, nor did he ever submit in a one-on-one match on WWE tv or internet shows.

Kalyx triaD
03-26-2008, 07:09 PM
Also, Blitzkrieg.

That dude was wild.

Destor
03-26-2008, 07:13 PM
DDP is the correct answer

Mooияakeя™
03-26-2008, 07:18 PM
The rivalry. At the peak of the wars, both companies were doing anything. Wrestling was outrageous compared to now. bumps, decent angles, mid carders we gave a fuck about. It's like there were mini-plots all over the place. When Vince took everything over. It was the end. But hey, at least there is 1... no 0.06% of a chance that something may come of TNA or at least start taxing WWE's minds more to do something better.

I'd really like to see another company get a decent TV deal. Over here it's useless, Bravo "does it's best" but that it. If some wrestling promotion got it's foot in the door. With the right guidance (no Hogan's please ffs) it could make good TV and if there's a decent alternative, maybe people will finally "fuck WWE off". I admit, I watch it more now that i did a year ago. But it's still nout special really.

Halbowsky
03-27-2008, 01:07 AM
Ralphus

Jericho's Goldberg entrance

KYR
03-27-2008, 02:35 AM

Where's Know Your Role when you need him?

I'm here and WTF????? :wtf:

Now NORMALLY I have a lot of time for the Fox, but you've over-stepped the mark here.

When I think of the People's Champion, I DON'T think of DDP coming down to the ring inhaling the electricity of the millions, AND I MEAN MILLIONS, of The Rock's fans and whipping every roodi-poodi, candy-assed Jabroni all the way back to the Smackdown Hotel on Know Your Role Boulevarde.

OK. Enough cliches there for you FoFiddy?

Oh. And what do I miss most from WCW...one word...Bischoff

SammyG
03-27-2008, 03:14 AM
nWo

Lara Emily
03-27-2008, 04:02 AM
They had actually had and somewhat care about their midcard.

DRBailey
03-27-2008, 06:52 AM
Tony Schiavone overhyping everything.

LA PARKA!

The threat that someone would turn up on either show unannounced

Loose Cannon
03-27-2008, 09:36 AM
there's about a hundred things I could list off, but the important ones were listed in this thread. They put on a great show and even when the show was at it's worst, I'd still take that over today's wrestling.

Fabien Barthez
03-27-2008, 10:43 AM
For the record Sean O'Haire was never pinned, nor did he ever submit in a one-on-one match on WWE tv or internet shows.

Wow. 6-0 in the WWE then!

How the hell do you know that anyway?

Mr. Nerfect
03-27-2008, 11:55 AM
The way they tended to treat their mid-card acts with time and respect. Chris Jericho was a fantastic heel in WCW, and Diamond Dallas Page was a fantastic face. The whole competition aspect was great, too. And Disco Inferno's music.

Rollermacka
03-27-2008, 03:24 PM
Ralphus

Jericho's Goldberg entrance

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zcikp7AcD-Y

HELLO Winston!! HELLO Winston, Salem!!! No, thats not the right door.

Jordan
03-27-2008, 03:41 PM
I liked that they used some wrestlers better than WWE did... I loved Lance Storm in WCW, he was used to his full potential I think. I really liked Bam Bam vs Goldberg although it never really went anywhere... I actually really liked WCW when Russo first came in, until the David Arquette stuff. He was using a lot of new ideas and good wrestlers, some from ECW like Candido, EZ Money, I really liked that a lot. I really liked the cruiserweight division, always it was always pretty good.

Jordan
03-27-2008, 03:42 PM
BTW I hated their shitty over booked main events and the fact that they NEVER had good main event matches. Nobody worked well, the best guys they had were Bret Hart, Jarrett, Benoit, Flair, and fuckin Goldberg.

Y2Ant
03-27-2008, 09:10 PM
I miss the overall cheesiness and tackiness to the whole product, it was almost as immense as the early 1990's WWF.

Vastardikai
03-28-2008, 02:22 AM
I miss the epic build-up for Sting-Hogan.

I miss Meng. :shifty:

I miss actually getting to see Kevin Sullivan wrestle. (Induct him in the WWE Hall of Fame, in Benoit's spot.)

I miss the peak of Big Van Vader and "The Lone Wolf" Barry Windham.

Funky Fly
03-28-2008, 06:26 AM
Just about everything from 1996 - 1998.

For serious tho, I really miss the fantastic midcard/undercard and the legitimate alternative to the WWE. Competition breeds innovation.

Jeritron
03-28-2008, 10:59 AM
I suppose I just miss it being there. It was a far more challenging and threatening compettitor to WWE than TNA is or likely ever will be. At times it was flat out better.

Most of their main eventers and storylines bored the shit out of me, since most of them were very early 90s era WWFesque. It was the midcard and undercard that was the best.

I mainly miss their midcard, but the problem with a lot of those guys is I watched them hoping they'd come to WWF, which most of them did because they never pushed them.

I regret the fact that they were bought out because given who they were beginning to finally push, coupled with the fact that the cancerous old timers were leaving, would have marked a possible turn around for the company down the line.
They also prob would have stolen at least one of the big attitude stars.

When disgruntled Austin walked away in 02 or other big releases, they'd have a place to go that wasn't as low rent as TNA.

Jeritron
03-28-2008, 11:03 AM
The problem with things now in terms of te changeover of talent between promotions is that going to TNA is a quiet event and sort of a step down.

It's almost like being moved to the minors or being put in purgatory.

Back then, going to WCW or vice versa was like a major trade or free agency signing and it'd make a splash. If WCW was still around, it'd matter that Lashley RVD or Lesnar were free agents. It'd be far more unpredictable and interesting to see where Jericho ended up.
And even though Angle going to TNA made a splash, him showing up on Nitro would be far more eventful

Jeritron
03-28-2008, 11:09 AM
I also miss 2000 wcw and shit like 3 count, team total package, the new blood, swerves to end all swerves on top of ultimate swerves that double swerve a triple swerve

and all kinds of shit that makes that era awesomely bad

Jeritron
03-28-2008, 11:11 AM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xjmAHV4g3tU&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xjmAHV4g3tU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Rollermacka
03-28-2008, 05:23 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xjmAHV4g3tU&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xjmAHV4g3tU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Who's that short man with the glasses and hat? I've never seen him before. :shifty:

Didnt they have Brad Armstrong doin the "word to your mother" lines?

NeanderCarl
03-28-2008, 07:21 PM
What do you miss about WCW?

The weekly $10,000 paycheck they used to FedEx me. I have no idea why.

NeanderCarl
03-28-2008, 07:25 PM

I'm sure Hogan pinned him one time in 2003 during the Piper/Gowan/Mr America stuff.