PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy The Wire's first season on DVD?

Mr. Nerfect
03-27-2008, 11:37 AM
I've seen bits of season two, and was fairly impressed with the show. It does seem similar to Homicide: Life on the Street (my favourite drama of all-time) in some ways. Anyway, I was just wondering what people generally think of the show, and whether or not it is worth spending the money on purchasing the first season on DVD.

Boondock Saint
03-27-2008, 01:50 PM
The best show HBO has ever done. Buy it.

ct2k
03-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Best show ever. Its similar to Homcide in some aspects but really a very different show generally, it has season long story archs for one. Its a portrait of a city if you like, and its not a cop show by and large, although it might appear so at times.

IC Champion
03-28-2008, 01:16 AM
If your not 100% satisfied I will personally send you the cost of the DVDs myself.

ct2k
03-28-2008, 11:18 AM
Season 4 is finally out here now, gettin them shits for my birthday:cool:

Triple A
03-31-2008, 10:07 PM
I keep hearing how amazing this show is.

I am a huge fan of most shit HBO does and Oz is lke my fav show ever. I keep hearing this is similar to Oz or even better from some people.

Are all seasons equally as amazing?

Also how many eps per season? Gonna start watching soon I guess.

Lock Jaw
04-01-2008, 01:17 AM
Yes. You should buy it all. Or in the very least, illegally purloin them.

Each season has 12-13 episodes.

ct2k
04-01-2008, 08:56 AM
I keep hearing how amazing this show is.

I am a huge fan of most shit HBO does and Oz is lke my fav show ever. I keep hearing this is similar to Oz or even better from some people.

Are all seasons equally as amazing?

Also how many eps per season? Gonna start watching soon I guess.

I'd say its better than Oz personally purely because of how vastly complex it is, its such a rewarding show to watch on repeated viewing too, although they're really completely different shows generally. What I would say is they're similar in the societal questions they pose, there are no easy answers and there's no schmaltz or sanitising of reality in the storylines.

Also what I love is the fact that aside from a single scene in the pilot episode there are no flashbacks to prompt you, there's no musical score to guide you as to what may happen next and there's just generally no effort made to highlight plot details which in their subtlety you may have missed, it demands a lot from the viewer but thats what makes it so special imo.