PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember when WWE use to have boxing matches?

TazroK
03-14-2004, 03:17 AM
I remember seeing this when I really started to get into wrestling. Although I don't remember much. Was it real or was it not? I remember seeing Goldust boxing, Marc Mero, Ken Shamrock and I believe Steve Blackman.

They should do this again. Imagine Big Show ****ing people up? Or Lesnar?

Again, my memory is cloudy. I was pretty young at the time.

John la Rock
03-14-2004, 03:18 AM
Brawl for all. ya they sucked

PureHatred
03-14-2004, 03:22 AM
Didn't Bart Gunn win their "tourney?" And then he lost to Butterbean at a WM? Those were awful....Boxing is a great sport to watch when the guys in the matches know what they were doing. But the WWE's version looked worse than those Toughman matches FX used to show.

Paki Crippler
03-14-2004, 03:39 AM
there was also a butter bean boxing match at wm xv or something..

Rob
03-14-2004, 08:45 AM
I remember seeing this when I really started to get into wrestling. Although I don't remember much. Was it real or was it not? I remember seeing Goldust boxing, Marc Mero, Ken Shamrock and I believe Steve Blackman.

They should do this again. Imagine Big Show ****ing people up? Or Lesnar?

Again, my memory is cloudy. I was pretty young at the time.

Yeah your memory is well fu</>cked pal. Goldust never boxed and Ken Shamrock refused to enter the Brawl For All.

Xero
03-14-2004, 08:49 AM
I remember them... Im wondering, was the ending fixed, or was it a legit boxing match?

Rob
03-14-2004, 08:57 AM
Totally legit matches.

Danny Electric
03-14-2004, 10:57 AM
Wasn't it set up to bring someone foward(Marc Mero?) but he got knocked out in the first round.

Lamuella
03-14-2004, 10:58 AM
it was set up to elevate Dr Death (Steve Williams) but he got his ass kicked

Rob
03-14-2004, 11:03 AM
Wasn't it set up to bring someone foward(Marc Mero?) but he got knocked out in the first round.

He got beat by Steve Blackman but then guys pulled out of the tournament so he got back in.

Disturbed316
03-14-2004, 02:54 PM
Bart Gunn jobbed to Butterbean in about 2.34546 seconds

Was quite funny actually

Savio
03-14-2004, 02:57 PM
I liked it.

Danny Electric
03-14-2004, 03:34 PM
He got beat by Steve Blackman but then guys pulled out of the tournament so he got back in.

Didn't he used to be a boxer too?

packt up
03-14-2004, 04:51 PM

Was quite funny actually

Ha yeah I actually remember that. He got so layed it out so fast it wasn't funny.

Except it was.

JeremyTB29
03-14-2004, 06:29 PM
Didn't Piper have a boxing match against MR T and then Piper bodyslammed him lol.

The Mackem
03-14-2004, 06:33 PM
Didn't Mero win the Golden gloves or something?

Rob
03-15-2004, 02:03 PM
I think Mero was a legit Golden Gloves champ but I dunno for sure. I was not surprised in the slightest that he got beat (well he got screwed in his match with Bradshaw) because boxers don't stand a chance under those rules if they are in with a good takedown wrestler.

The Mackem
03-15-2004, 02:06 PM
I remember a few of the matches like Godfather, I think he was in it and some of the others. Me and my mate never really understood how Mero, who was labelled as a legit boxer, could go out to Bradshaw. Oh well, I guess Bradshaw has that affect.

Rob
03-15-2004, 02:13 PM
Well Mero scored a legit takedown on Bradshaw and the ref never counted it and he would have won in normal time had he got the points.

I think only Bart Gunn and Steve Williams won matches without going the duration.

SuperSlim
03-15-2004, 02:37 PM
yeah brawl for all was funny at times but overall sucked

Paranoid Rattlesnake
03-17-2004, 08:29 AM

Was quite funny actually
That was because Bart was told in his match against Bradshaw to pull his punches, they wanted Bradshaw as the winner, when Bart knocked him out the WWF as it was at the time decided to punish Bart Gunn

tucsonspeed6
03-17-2004, 11:10 AM
What about that match between Flair and somebody else that was supposed to be a legit technical wrestling match. It's really vague in my memory, but for some reason I think that might have been real, but I can't remember how it ended so I could be vastly wrong. If anyone remembers the match I'm talking about refresh my memory.

MVP
03-17-2004, 09:12 PM
LOL I remember before Bart Gunn's boxing match with Butterbean him and JR had an interview with Dr. Death.

JR turned heel and slapped Dr. Death in the face. :lol:

Rob
03-18-2004, 02:10 PM
That was because Bart was told in his match against Bradshaw to pull his punches, they wanted Bradshaw as the winner, when Bart knocked him out the WWF as it was at the time decided to punish Bart Gunn

Not that I'm calling you a liar or anything but I find that very hard to believe and here's why:

1 - They were fighting for legit prize money and I can't see why they would fix the final when the rest of it was a shoot. Would Bradshaw willing let go 50 grand just to get a fake win? Wasn't the WWF confident Bradshaw could get a result.

2 -Bart Gunn was over. Not major over but he was over and looked like a new star. He was knocking out guys left and right and the people wanted to see him win it all after he knocked out Steve Williams.

3 - If they wanted to punish him, he wouldn't have been at WrestleMania on a big pay day fighting Butterbean. They also paid for extensive boxing training for him.

Shaggy
03-18-2004, 02:13 PM
I remember that stupid Brawl for All thing. It was stupid and never really made any since. The only good thing about it was seeing Bart Gunn getting nailed in the face by butterbean for the knockout punch. That had to be one of the greatest punches ever done.

DaveWadding
03-18-2004, 02:15 PM
What about that match between Flair and somebody else that was supposed to be a legit technical wrestling match. It's really vague in my memory, but for some reason I think that might have been real, but I can't remember how it ended so I could be vastly wrong. If anyone remembers the match I'm talking about refresh my memory.

Flair had a training session with a couple jobbers that was amateur style back in the late 80's...and he ended up pissing off Piper so they went at it amateur style during the same session...is that what you're thinking about?

wheresmaven
03-18-2004, 08:43 PM
The God/good father was in the 'Brawl for All' too. (along with Droz and Hawk.. that was a good fight- I remember then spitting their mouth guards out, touching gloves, and just whooping eachother)
But the godfather got knocked out so hard that the camera zoomed in on his face after he got knocked down.
GF-"What just happened?"
Ref-"You got knocked out!"
GF-"He knocked me down?!? Aww DAMN!"

Hilarious.
And Marc Mero (the wrestler turned insurance salesman) had some championship match with Butterbean at a ppv. Mero used the stool he was sitting on, and a dropkick to win.
That feud was supposed to be some great midcard match, but considering neither could cut promos, the feud just dropped off of the face of the earth.

CANADIAN
03-18-2004, 09:24 PM
They should do another

Wondermouse
03-18-2004, 09:27 PM
Please God no. WWE should focus on actual storylines and putting on a quality prodyct instead of rehashing silly gimmicks.

King Jericho
03-19-2004, 07:41 PM
Yeh Bart Gunn won Brawl for all and lost to butterbean at Wrestlemania 15 no less, i mean come on WRESTLEMANIA 15 was not that long ago!

Also i actually watched wrestlemania 15 today and laughed when Bart Gunn was knocked out after like 5 seconds

Vastardikai
03-20-2004, 02:27 AM
The reason why Bart Gunn even knocked out Dr. Death, IIRC, was because Doc blew out a knee on the takedown previous and he more or less stumbled INTO the punch. Definition of FLUKE. A shoot rematch, without gloves, would have left Bart Gunn annihilated.

Seriously, though. The whole thing was inducted into Wrestlecrap, and that's where it should stay...

EazyMack
03-20-2004, 04:00 AM
I didn't think it was that bad. It was something different.

ColdwaVer
03-20-2004, 04:14 AM
They also paid for extensive boxing training for him.

After WMXV I hope they asked for their money back.

Also i actually watched wrestlemania 15 today and laughed when Bart Gunn was knocked out after like 5 seconds

I beleive the sight of Bart's head bobbing on his neck inspired the bobblehead doll craze...

Rob
03-20-2004, 12:50 PM
The reason why Bart Gunn even knocked out Dr. Death, IIRC, was because Doc blew out a knee on the takedown previous and he more or less stumbled INTO the punch. Definition of FLUKE. A shoot rematch, without gloves, would have left Bart Gunn annihilated.

Seriously, though. The whole thing was inducted into Wrestlecrap, and that's where it should stay...

He dislocated his knee when Bart Gunn took him down though. In a shoot rematch, I'd pick the same result. Steve Williams just had his first shoot last weekend and got beaten to a plup. He is too long out of real competition (and he worked like 3 matches in the previous 24 hours so that's how prepared he was).

News is Doc has throat cancer now. He is such a great character and I wish him well through his illness.