PDA

View Full Version : Better Wrestler #13

Destor
04-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Yet another potential Better Wrestler Hall of Famer's dreams have been squashed. All hail the new champion! The Texas Rattle Snake, Stone cold Steve Austin. This man is the most dangerous champion we've seen yet for my money and it's going to take someone amazing to out shine Stone Cold. Can it be done? Well today we take our first steps to finding out:

http://www.opengroup.com/sports/images/(SC)Steve_Austin_Photo.jpg

VS
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/frank_deford/08/21/wrestling/T1_0822_benoitinside.jpg

How will it all go down? 3 days and we'll know.

<SELECT><OPTION selected>Better Wrestler History<OPTION>RVD vs CM Punk (34-19-2)</OPTION><OPTION>RVD vs Santino Marella (36-4)</OPTION><OPTION>RVD vs Mr. Perfect (15-23-1)</OPTION><OPTION>Mr. Perfect vs Tully Blanchard (30-5-1)</OPTION><OPTION>Mr. Perfect vs Chris Jericho (15-23-3)</OPTION><OPTION>Chris Jericho vs Brock Lesnar (34-10)</OPTION><OPTION>Chris Jericho vs William Regal (38-14-2)</OPTION><OPTION>Chris Jericho vs Eddie Guerrero (21-23-13)</OPTION><OPTION>Eddie Guerrero vs Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat (26-7-3)</OPTION><OPTION>Eddie Geurrero vs "Macho Man" Randy Savage (26-19-3)</OPTION><OPTION>Eddie Guerrero vs Diamond Dallas Page (39-8)</OPTION><OPTION>Eddie Guerrero vs "Stone Cold" Steve Austin(19-28-2)</OPTION></SELECT>

<SELECT><OPTION selected>Better Wrestler Hall of Fame</OPTION></SELECT>

BigDaddyCool
04-04-2008, 09:27 AM
Since I don't know who that second guy is, I'm voting Austin. Plus it is fucking Austin.

Londoner
04-04-2008, 09:29 AM
We all know Benoit was great at what he did int erms of wrestling, but Austin did far more for the business overall. Gotta vote for austin.

Innovator
04-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Austin, hard because Benoit was one of my favorite guys ever

but Austin drew more money, better on the mic, just a shade below Benoit in the ring pre-injury.

plus Austin never killed his wife....just stunned her

Porcupine
04-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Austin easily.

Austin had something Benoit really lacked...charisma...and a lot of it! Both were solid wrestlers in their time, but Austin had that x-factor and personality that Benoit never did. I was not a big time fan of Austin, but he entertained me far more than Benoit ever did.

BigDaddyCool
04-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Wife beater v Family killer.

thedamndest
04-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Good thing Benoit is dead, cause he's gonna get killed here!

Benoit was technically-great in the ring, but lacked the personality, same reason that Malenko and Saturn never really made it over with WWE crowds totally (which is not to say Benoit wasn't over, but there is a difference in an Austin pop and a Benoit-pop).

Heros Welcome
04-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Austin without hesitation. Yes Benoit was a great technician in the ring, but Austin is the absolute goods. Better on the mic, was very good pre injury, and still could go even after injury. Like stated above Austin did have that X Factor that Benoit never had. Vote goes to Austin.

Kane Knight
04-04-2008, 11:43 AM
As before, Austin defined a generation of wrestling. I think the ONLY guy I'd be likely to vote against Austin in favor of is the Rock. Well, actually, the Rock or Michaels. So two guys.

Lock Jaw
04-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Benoit.

I always enjoyed watching him waaaay more than Austin, and him winning the title was a bigger mark out moment to me than anything Austin ever did.

Rammsteinmad
04-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Benoit.

He's been my favourite wrestler since 1994.

Sucks what happened, but what can ya do?

:y:

Londoner
04-04-2008, 12:20 PM
As before, Austin defined a generation of wrestling. I think the ONLY guy I'd be likely to vote against Austin in favor of is the Rock. Well, actually, the Rock or Michaels. So two guys.

Strangely enough, i have a feeling if austin gets to within one match of the HOF, that the rock will be his opponent..

Theo Dious
04-04-2008, 12:42 PM
As before, Austin defined a generation of wrestling.

Whereas Benoit defined several months of cable news programming.

Skippord
04-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Austin

He's not a murdering murderer

Vastardikai
04-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Austin. who's that other guy again?

Mercury Bullet
04-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Austin. And that is considering just their careers in wrestling and nothing more. I don't see how you could vote Benoit over Austin based on that criteria. Benoit was better in the ring, but Austin was SO MUCH better at EVERYTHING ELSE that I think it outweighs Benoit's ring ability. Austin is the face of the peak era of professional wrestling.

Destor
04-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Strangely enough, i have a feeling if austin gets to within one match of the HOF, that the rock will be his opponent..

Meh, I'm not saying it isn't possible but I don't think I'll be using The Rock just yet. If enough people ask for the Austin/Rock match then I guess I'd do it, but I don't think so.

(Someone has sour grapes over Eddie)

Destor
04-04-2008, 01:50 PM
This is another that for me personally is extremely difficult.

I enjoyed Benoit's work more than I enjoyed almost every other wrestler since I started watching. But when I look at it from an unbiased stand point it's really hard to vote Benoit.

Austin had the greater impact, Austin worked the stick better. Austin had the more...iconic matches. But Benoit did had the better matches. Benoit had the (way) better psychology. Benoit was the better worker. Benoit had an old school style with new school technique. Benoit was a wrestler's wrestler. He did everything the way you should do it, if this were 30 years ago Benoit would have had an amazing career as far as achievements go.

But the fact is Austin had the amazing career, Austin is the one who was in the right the place at the right time. Austin is the one who helped breath a fresh breath of air into the entire business allowing guys like Benoit to have a chance to make an impact of their own.

I'm leaning toward a draw here, but I just can't vote against Benoit. I gotta go with the personal bias on this one. Just can't do it.

Benoit for the win.

Kane Knight
04-04-2008, 01:58 PM
Whereas Benoit defined several months of cable news programming.

LOL. Can I change my vote?

(Nah, not really)(

Londoner
04-04-2008, 02:11 PM
(Someone has sour grapes over Eddie)

:shifty:

Destor
04-04-2008, 02:15 PM
for the record I don't see anyone giving Austin competition. I racked my brain trying to think of an opponent that wouldn't just be ludicrously dominated by Austin and just couldn't do it. I was browsing the forum and saw the Benoit thread and just went with it.

if anyone has any suggestions for the next round please go ahead, cause I'm having a hell of a time with it.

BigDaddyCool
04-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Destor, you are a wrestler right?

Destor
04-04-2008, 02:26 PM
c

Xero
04-04-2008, 02:34 PM
for the record I don't see anyone giving Austin competition. I racked my brain trying to think of an opponent that wouldn't just be ludicrously dominated by Austin and just couldn't do it. I was browsing the forum and saw the Benoit thread and just went with it.

if anyone has any suggestions for the next round please go ahead, cause I'm having a hell of a time with it.

Not sure if you've done him yet, but Angle.

Xero
04-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Anyway, Austin wins out. If Benoit had been great on the mic it would have been a lot harder to choose. It was the only thing really holding him back.

BigDaddyCool
04-04-2008, 02:57 PM
c

Then stack yourself up against Austin, sure you are going to lose, but you will lose to Austin.

Destor
04-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Then stack yourself up against Austin, sure you are going to lose, but you will lose to Austin.
I dunno, I don't think I could handle seeing 50-0. :(

Xero
04-04-2008, 03:08 PM
I'll vote for The Dest.

BigDaddyCool
04-04-2008, 03:09 PM
It would be more like 48 - 2 Desty.

D Mac
04-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Since I don't know who that second guy is, I'm voting Austin. Plus it is fucking Austin.

Londoner
04-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Destor- try either hbk or angle, or even, yourself!

Destor
04-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Destor- try either hbk or angle, or even, yourself!
Well I definiatly don't wanna throw those two at him next, to early in his run for that level of compition...

Destor
04-04-2008, 03:26 PM
And as much as I appreciate the sentitiment I dunno about all that jazz. Maybe when there's a shitty guy whose champ that we know isn't going in the hall of Fame...maybe. Dunno. I'll think about it.

Mercury Bullet
04-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Batista?

El Fangel
04-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Benoit.

I always enjoyed watching him waaaay more than Austin, and him winning the title was a bigger mark out moment to me than anything Austin ever did.

El Fangel
04-04-2008, 03:47 PM
I think ya blew your load early Des, anyone if anyone that can beat Austin, will not likely be beaten.

I would suggest when they will 10 matches, they get put in the hall of fame, and the title vacated or something.

Destor
04-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Why ten as opposed to 5? No one would ever make at 10...

El Fangel
04-04-2008, 04:00 PM
I was suggesting, thats all. I suppose 5 would be better and less dragged out.

Destor
04-04-2008, 04:02 PM
As far as blowing loads though I agree. The problem wasn't Austin though, it was Jericho. Every since then it's elevated to uber Main eventers. It's all good though.

El Fangel
04-04-2008, 04:08 PM
Well after you retire someone to the HOF I would suggest that it reset the list of who can compete, minus the HOF-ers, that way you can keep it going longer.

Destor
04-04-2008, 04:14 PM
Nah. There are houndreds of great wrestlers, and main eventers left to do. I'm no where near needing to repeat people for a long time.

El Fangel
04-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Hundreds of wrestlers and main eventers?

Name 10 that could surely and easily beat Austin :p

Londoner
04-04-2008, 04:35 PM
I think destor just wants austin in the HOF...:shifty:

Destor
04-04-2008, 06:51 PM
It's not about Austin though, Austin can only have 5 more matches at most. that's all that matters toward him.

and I'm not that big on Austin.

Londoner
04-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Suuurrreee your not.

Jura
04-04-2008, 10:48 PM
<embed width="425" height="350" src="http://static.videoegg.com/videoegg/loader.swf" FlashVars="bgColor=FFFFFF&file=http://download.videoegg.com/gid329/cid1124/PP/51/1157562392pSim2LUx0RPZcuuS2xLM&autoPlay=false&forcePlay=false&logo=&allowFullscreen=true" quality="high" allowScriptAccess="always" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" scale="noscale"wmode="window" name="VE_Player" align="middle" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

Jeritron
04-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Even putting the obvious issues aside for the purpose of this thread, I still go with Austin. Not because of my dislike for Benoit, because this is judging the two by professional work alone.

With that being said, Benoit may have had more quality matches bell to bell. However, he never had the connection with the fans, the character skills, or the level of entertainment quality of Austin. To be short, Austin was better at his job. Not one of Benoit's matches ever told a story or engaged the crowd even close to as well as Austin did on a regular basis in his final 5 or 6 years.

To be honest, aside from 1 or 2 people out there, I don't see anyone who would challenge here. I won't name them until they come up - Destor prob knows who they are

St. Jimmy
04-04-2008, 11:05 PM
I'll vote for The Dest.

Afterlife
04-05-2008, 11:37 PM
I liked Austin, but when it comes to actual wrestling, I'd say Benoit had a vast majority of people beaten. Regardless of money made and promotional success, I'd say Benoit was the better over competitor.

That being said, Stone Cold Stunner > Falling Headbutt.

Actually, Foany Beer Swill and/or Flipping the Bird> Falling Headbutt. But, overall, I still go Benoit.

Nowhere Man
04-06-2008, 12:57 AM
Oh, man. This was a hard one for me.

Based on pure in-ring skill, I'd have to give it to Benoit. Austin was a fantastic worker in his own right, especially pre-neck-injury, but Benoit was IMO the best pure wrestler out there. However, that's really the only aspect in which Benoit could beat out Austin.

Stone Cold was one of the very best mic workers in the wrestling world, and that's in an era when that actually meant something. When you could regularly hold your own in promos with the Rock and Mick Foley, you've definitely got it right. And there's also the fact that Austin brought in more money for WWF than just about anyone else in the company's history (on the short list with Rock and Hulk Hogan) As an all-around entertainer, Austin is far and away the better man.

I used to be one of the biggest Benoit fans on the boards, until the murders. There are still days when I keep hoping that it's all been some sick joke, but there's just no avoiding what he did. Austin, despite his own personal issues, will always be remembered as one of wrestling's greatest stars. Benoit, despite his undeniable skill, will always be remembered as wrestling's greatest shame.

So yeah, I vote Austin.

Anybody Thrilla
04-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Benoit was always a pleasure to watch in the ring, but Austin was just more entertaining overall for me. I guess I came too late to vote, but it wouldn't have mattered anyway.