PDA

View Full Version : Worst announcers than TNA's?

JT
04-04-2008, 11:36 PM
I'm watching a replay of Smackdown on Youtube, and I'm just laughing at how terrible Cole and Coach are together. Where you have the over excited people of TNA, you have the very dull, bored voices of SD. On top of that, they really don't know what to say...

COACH (commenting on Taker/Kane match): Kane and Undertaker are working a much slower match than they're use to because they are trying a stratagy...that isn't that quick.

...O_O'

Really, I say send Coach to ECW with Joey, and Tazz back to Smackdown. My logic: Tazz and Cole have already proven to be a working formula and I wouldn't mind seeing the pair reunite. At the same time, Coach may be lacking but isn't total garbage. Run him along with a quick witted, energetic announcer like Joey Styles and it could easily work (granted, most of the commentary would be Joey insulting Coach, but I would still love it).

Jeritron
04-04-2008, 11:51 PM
Coach is a great personality and character to have around, both on his own as a on screen non-wrestling talent, and as an instrument for wrestlers to play off of. However, he has no place at an announce booth and needs to be replaced by a color personality with more talent, like a former wrestler.

Jeritron
04-04-2008, 11:53 PM
With Kevin Nash in so good with Vince, Trips, Shawn and the powers that be at WWE, why isn't he under contract there? I can see him not wanting the schedule but it'd be a much better place for him and he wouldn't have to wrestle. He'd be an excellent color commentator

CSL
04-04-2008, 11:56 PM
OR Vince could stop JBL mid blow job and inform him that he's going back to the job he's actually very good at, instead of the one he's trying to do now

Afterlife
04-05-2008, 12:04 AM
I reiterate: Al Snow.

Mr. JL
04-05-2008, 12:09 AM
At least they don't yell at every little detail that is happening.

Nothign is worse than West & Tenay.

Xero
04-05-2008, 12:28 AM
This is the greatest thread in the history of TNA announcer-related threads!

Afterlife
04-05-2008, 12:46 AM
The big problem tonight was Coach was trying to force the bad guy role. He shouldn't have to do that.

Jura
04-05-2008, 01:17 AM
What if there was a wrestler that did part time announcing. Like he wrestles on Raw and then does announcing on SD! or ECW the next day.

Dorkchop
04-05-2008, 01:54 AM
I like Coach as a character, just not as a full time commentator. Every now and then he's ok. I'd rather have him on Raw as Vince's or the Regal's bitch, making a fool out of himself (which I actually find pretty entertaining most of the time).

Lux
04-05-2008, 01:55 AM

Nothign is worse than West & Tenay.

Afterlife
04-05-2008, 02:58 AM
What if there was a wrestler that did part time announcing. Like he wrestles on Raw and then does announcing on SD! or ECW the next day.

That could be awesome. Definitely a high potential idea.

Heros Welcome
04-05-2008, 03:06 AM

Nothing is worse than West & Tenay.

Agreed.

As long as Don West is employed, he and his co worker will always be the worst.

Mr. Nerfect
04-05-2008, 03:06 AM

When it became apparent to me how awesome CM Punk actually is on commentary, this became something I wanted to see. CM Punk can wrestle on RAW or ECW, and then do commentary (and work the occasional match, I guess, ala Jerry Lawler) on SmackDown!.

Another option is Matt Striker. The WWE don't really seem to have plans to use him as a wrestler, even though he's not bad, but would rather use him as a manager. Why not have him double up as a commentator? Guys have done it in the past. Striker is a fast thinker, a great talker, and quite a funny guy. Him doing impressions on commentary would alone be better than what they've got so far.

Coach is not horrible, he has the right mind for it, he just hasn't got it yet. Maybe keep him around as a third man, until he grows into the role?

Mr. Nerfect
04-05-2008, 03:08 AM
When JBL left the SmackDown! announce table, and it was rumoured Tazz could be on the way back, I was sort of hoping they'd rotate the ECW commentary position. It's not like talent always gets a chance to shine there. On a week when Stevie Richards isn't scheduled to wrestle, have him do colour commentary beside Joey Styles. It could add a little intrigue to the show.

Afterlife
04-05-2008, 04:39 AM
I wish Striker was allowed to wrestle. :-\

Xerzes
04-06-2008, 05:24 AM
When JBL left the SmackDown! announce table, and it was rumoured Tazz could be on the way back, I was sort of hoping they'd rotate the ECW commentary position. It's not like talent always gets a chance to shine there. On a week when Stevie Richards isn't scheduled to wrestle, have him do colour commentary beside Joey Styles. It could add a little intrigue to the show.

..seriously? The guy you pick for the example of this idea (which, incidentally, I think is a good one) is the one with enough throat surgery that he sounds like he's gargling rocks that are somehow on fire?

therocksays
04-07-2008, 06:40 AM
tenay looks like golem on lord of the rings, actually golem would be a better accouncer.

BigDaddyCool
04-07-2008, 01:46 PM
The thing I like a Cole with Tazz or JBL is that Tazz and JBL constantly treatened to beat up Cole, and it was believable. I'm not sure who would win in the Cole v Coach sissy fight.

Fox
04-07-2008, 05:01 PM
They need a little dose of Cyrus the Virus. Cyrus, Michael Cole and Coach would be amazing. Or even just Cyrus and Cole, and Coachman can sell popcorn with the vendors out next to the bathrooms.

Lux
04-07-2008, 05:40 PM
tenay looks like golem on lord of the rings, actually golem would be a better accouncer.

:foc:

Londoner
04-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Coach/cole are far better than the tna announcers. You've picked out like one bad moment and suddenly gone 'oh fuck, THEY'RE WORST THAN TNA ANNOUNCERS! OMFG!". I think they work well together, haven't really seen anything wrong with their style.

Mr. Nerfect
04-07-2008, 11:49 PM
..seriously? The guy you pick for the example of this idea (which, incidentally, I think is a good one) is the one with enough throat surgery that he sounds like he's gargling rocks that are somehow on fire?

Stevie Richards can spin a yarn, though. His stuff leading the Right to Censor was really good. His raspy voice also has style.

Afterlife
04-08-2008, 06:53 AM
Hell, have Stevie beat the shit out of Coach and take his position. After all....

"Move your ass, Coach. I'm...taking...over!"

Mister Sinister
04-08-2008, 08:13 AM
When JBL left the SmackDown! announce table, and it was rumoured Tazz could be on the way back, I was sort of hoping they'd rotate the ECW commentary position. It's not like talent always gets a chance to shine there. On a week when Stevie Richards isn't scheduled to job to Mike Knox, have him do colour commentary beside Joey Styles. It could add a little intrigue to the show.

Mr. Nerfect
04-11-2008, 05:14 AM
Mike Tenay is a damn good commentator. I think he needs to be a third man, though. I'm not sure how good he is, but I was reading someone that suggested TNA hire Scott Hudson to be their lead play-by-play guy. Was Hudson any good? They also suggested canning Don West (well, moving him to a different role within the company) and putting Jim Cornette on as the color guy.

Would an announce team of Scott Hudson, Jim Cornette and Mike Tenay be any good? I'm not too familiar with the guy, but I haven't heard anyone ever ranting over Hudson as a commentator.

I think Michael Cole would also make a great third man commentator. The most I've ever enjoyed Cole is when he is calling something like the Royal Rumble, and he pulls out all these facts and figures about it that I did not know. The guy's a legit journalist. He can do that sort of stuff really well. I suppose he just works fine as a play-by-play guy when he is with Tazz or JBL, though. He's never been super good, though.

Another guy I really like as a colour guy/third man, is Jack Korpela. He seems like another goof they hired out of nowhere, but the guy knows his shit. One thing he is fantastic with, is pointing out what the wrestlers have been up to recently. When two guys face off on Heat, he will mention when they last met, what the result was, and all that stuff. He's also good with lots of facts and statistics and stuff. He obviously researches his work and is trying his best.

Josh Mathews is going horribly to waste, too. The man can do both play-by-play and color phenomenally. He's a mark for the word "plethora," though. If anyone should be working with Jonathan Coachman, it should be him. He can do play-by-play, but while working with Coach, it also ensures there is a wrestling mind at the table.

The Mackem
04-11-2008, 06:26 AM
Hudson done a bit in the WCW in it's final days and I can't remember him being particulary bad plus his voice comes across quite well.

NeanderCarl
04-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Cornette as neutral play-by-play (a role he played for years in OVW) with Tenay as analyst and Nash on colour might work.