PDA

View Full Version : CHIKARA

Blue Demon
04-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Who else watches this? I watched some YouTube stuff at the suggestion of someone I know, and found it friggin hilarious at times......and I never knew Bob Saget was the commissioner :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chikara_%28professional_wrestling%29

thecc
04-14-2008, 04:29 PM
I've been huge into Chikara since the beginning of 2006. If you don't mind dropping the $20 for it I highly recommend their best of 2007 dvd.Theres 22 matches on it,so you definitely get your money's worth.

http://smartmarkvideo.com/product.php?productid=16217&cat=10&page=1

Blue Demon
04-14-2008, 04:32 PM
Man, they sell ALL their DVDs for pretty much $20.

Xero
04-14-2008, 04:35 PM
It's retarded.

Blue Demon
04-14-2008, 04:47 PM
What, the promotion, or the fact that Smartmark sells DVDs for $20?

IC Champion
04-14-2008, 04:49 PM
Both.

Kane Knight
04-14-2008, 04:59 PM
Q: What do "points" have to do with title shots?A: In order to become challengers for CHIKARA's Campeonatos de Parejas (tag team championship), a team must accumulate 3 "points," that is to say, they must win 3 tag team matches governed by CHIKARA, in a row. If a tag team accrues, let's say two points, and then loses a match, they lose all their points and must start over again from zero.

Kane Knight
Q: Why are there so many CHIKARA 6-man (or 8-man) tag team matches?A: Multiple-man tag matches are our specialty, an artform almost lost here in the United States, and it is an exciting type of match that allows for incredible action, creativity and zaniness. If you think of a wrestling match as a blank canvas, and each wrestler is a color in your paint palette, imagine how much more diverse a painting made with 6 or 8 colors can be than a painting made with just two.

Blitz
Chikara is fucking awesome. Most entertaining fed out there for me.

Blitz
04-14-2008, 05:00 PM
Watched King Of Trios 08 Nights 1 and 2, in the middle of 3. Good shows.

Kane Knight
Q: What was the deal with Lester Crabtree being dead?A: Lester Crabtree faked his own death in the summer of 2003. Private Eye uncovered the plot as a life insurance scam, and exposed Crabtree's intent to flee to Brazil with the fraudulent funds. Since being foiled, Crabtree has returned to work at CHIKARA until hatching his next get-rich-quick scheme.

Kane Knight
Q: Why do the old CHIKARA videos have text bubbles instead of audio commentary?
A: CHIKARA videos are often enjoyed by the hearing-impaired or deaf, and the text bubbles are a way of making sure that even our hearing-impaired friends are included in the fun. Most of our DVD releases feature regular audio commentary.

Blitz
04-14-2008, 05:02 PM
F.A.Q.

Q: What is the name of the company: CHIKARA, Chikara Pro or Chikara Wrestle Factory?
A: CHIKARA is the name of our wrestling promotion. The Wrestle Factory is the company-owned training center in Philadelphia, PA.

Q: I thought the promotion was called Chikara Pro?
A: Nope. But there is a contingent of fans that liken us to groups such as Michinoku Pro and Osaka Pro, resulting in us often being given the "Pro" tag.

Q: Can I try out for CHIKARA?
A: Not really. However, you can apply to our wrestling school, which is Chikara Wrestle Factory.

Q: I like pudding.
A: That's not a question.

Q: What are "Campeones de Parejas?"
A: That phrase is Spanish for "Tag Team Champions."

Q: What do "points" have to do with title shots?
A: In order to become challengers for CHIKARA's Campeonatos de Parejas (tag team championship), a team must accumulate 3 "points," that is to say, they must win 3 tag team matches governed by CHIKARA, in a row. If a tag team accrues, let's say two points, and then loses a match, they lose all their points and must start over again from zero.

Q: Why does the ref count to twenty when a wrestler is on the floor, instead of ten?
A: Because most CHIKARA matches are conducted under Lucha Libre rules, not Pro-Wrestling rules. The basics of Lucha rules are as follows: Count outs occur when a wrestler fails to return to the ring before a count of twenty. Disqualifications are rendered immediately for lowblows (fouls), or unmasking an opponent. An automatic tag is registered if the legal man in the ring touches the arena floor. These rules also provide for an unusual call named "castigo excesivo" or "excessive punishment." That is to say, the referee can disqualify a wrestler or team that is not trying to win the match (not attempting any pins or submissions,) but is instead just beating up or attempting to otherwise injure an opponent. While rare, the referee does have the ability to disqualify for excessive punishment under this system of rules.

Q: Did Mike Quackenbush really write a book?
A: Yes, in fact, he's written several. "Fantastic Finishers" came out in 1998 as a special edition of Inside Wrestling magazine, and in 2001 he released "Headquarters." His latest, "Secret Identity" was released in September of 2004. His work is still published in monthly magazines like Pro Wrestling Illustrated and The Wrestler.

Q: How do I get on the CHIKARA e-mailing list?
A: Just send an e-mail to chikarawrestling@aol.com and type in the subject header: Add Me!

Q: Why are there so many CHIKARA 6-man (or 8-man) tag team matches?
A: Multiple-man tag matches are our specialty, an artform almost lost here in the United States, and it is an exciting type of match that allows for incredible action, creativity and zaniness. If you think of a wrestling match as a blank canvas, and each wrestler is a color in your paint palette, imagine how much more diverse a painting made with 6 or 8 colors can be than a painting made with just two.

Q: Who can compete in the Young Lions Cup tournament?
A: The current set of regulations state that any wrestler, age 25 or younger at the start of the tournament, is eligible.

Q: Is Ichabod Slayne the guy that now wrestles as Icarus?
A: Yes. Ichabod Slayne lost his mask on December 7th, 2002 to Blind Rage, and has since been wrestling without a hood as Icarus.

Q: Didn't Gran Akuma wear a mask?
A: He did, but lost it on November 13th, 2005 to Shane Storm.

Q: May I have some pudding?
A: You didn't say "please."

Q: I want to collect all the songs the wrestlers use for entrances, what are they?
A: Not all of them are commercially available. Some that are include "Hey Sandy" by Polaris (Chuck Taylor theme), "God is God" by Laiboch (Hallowicked theme), "Ants Marching" by Dave Matthews Band (Colony theme), "Blue Monday" by Orgy (Icarus theme), "Tearing the Veil from Grace" by Cradle of Filth (Neo Solar Temple theme), "Break it Down Again" by Tears for Fears (Mike Quackenbush theme), "All Star" by SmashMouth (Bob Saget theme) and "Welcome to the Jungle" by Guns n' Roses (Shane Storm theme).

Q: Some of the CHIKARA DVD covers look like comic book covers, is that a coincidence?
A: Absolutely not. In fact, several web pages discuss the numerous pop culture allusions found in CHIKARA. This page does an excellent job of breaking it down one reference at a time, and there are several others as well. Our comic book homage DVD covers are the work of Marco D'Alfonso, a Canadian artist and lover of pudding.

Q: What was the deal with Lester Crabtree being dead?
A: Lester Crabtree faked his own death in the summer of 2003. Private Eye uncovered the plot as a life insurance scam, and exposed Crabtree's intent to flee to Brazil with the fraudulent funds. Since being foiled, Crabtree has returned to work at CHIKARA until hatching his next get-rich-quick scheme.

A: CHIKARA videos are often enjoyed by the hearing-impaired or deaf, and the text bubbles are a way of making sure that even our hearing-impaired friends are included in the fun. Most of our DVD releases feature regular audio commentary.

Q: Whatever happened to Dragonfly/Don Montoya/Jolly Roger/BlackJack Marciano/DJ Skittlez/Private Eye?
A: All of these wrestlers have left the business due to injury, personal committments and other whatnot. None of them are dead.

Q: I like the art used on the web page.Who makes all that stuff?
A: The illustrations used on our roster page were created by Marco D'Alfonso, Wiggly, and Shaun Ramkissoon. Artwork submitted to us for display in our gallery is credited as sent to us, and you can find that sort of information by holding your mouse over the image and/or looking in the caption box.

Q: Are there any pictures of the masked wrestlers without their masks on?
A: Of course. Their parents probably have several.

Just to save KK the trouble.

Porcupine
04-14-2008, 05:08 PM
I love Chikara. If they had a national TV deal, I would watch them, even over the WWE.

Heros Welcome
04-14-2008, 05:22 PM
CHIKARA is always fun to watch. I watch them when I can. For those who have NOT seen Quack, get to it! :y: for CHIKARA

Kane Knight
04-14-2008, 05:24 PM
F.A.Q.

Q: What is the name of the company: CHIKARA, Chikara Pro or Chikara Wrestle Factory?
A: CHIKARA is the name of our wrestling promotion. The Wrestle Factory is the company-owned training center in Philadelphia, PA.

Q: I thought the promotion was called Chikara Pro?
A: Nope. But there is a contingent of fans that liken us to groups such as Michinoku Pro and Osaka Pro, resulting in us often being given the "Pro" tag.

Q: Can I try out for CHIKARA?
A: Not really. However, you can apply to our wrestling school, which is Chikara Wrestle Factory.

Q: I like pudding.
A: That's not a question.

Q: What are "Campeones de Parejas?"
A: That phrase is Spanish for "Tag Team Champions."

Q: What do "points" have to do with title shots?
A: In order to become challengers for CHIKARA's Campeonatos de Parejas (tag team championship), a team must accumulate 3 "points," that is to say, they must win 3 tag team matches governed by CHIKARA, in a row. If a tag team accrues, let's say two points, and then loses a match, they lose all their points and must start over again from zero.

Q: Why does the ref count to twenty when a wrestler is on the floor, instead of ten?
A: Because most CHIKARA matches are conducted under Lucha Libre rules, not Pro-Wrestling rules. The basics of Lucha rules are as follows: Count outs occur when a wrestler fails to return to the ring before a count of twenty. Disqualifications are rendered immediately for lowblows (fouls), or unmasking an opponent. An automatic tag is registered if the legal man in the ring touches the arena floor. These rules also provide for an unusual call named "castigo excesivo" or "excessive punishment." That is to say, the referee can disqualify a wrestler or team that is not trying to win the match (not attempting any pins or submissions,) but is instead just beating up or attempting to otherwise injure an opponent. While rare, the referee does have the ability to disqualify for excessive punishment under this system of rules.

Q: Did Mike Quackenbush really write a book?
A: Yes, in fact, he's written several. "Fantastic Finishers" came out in 1998 as a special edition of Inside Wrestling magazine, and in 2001 he released "Headquarters." His latest, "Secret Identity" was released in September of 2004. His work is still published in monthly magazines like Pro Wrestling Illustrated and The Wrestler.

Q: How do I get on the CHIKARA e-mailing list?
A: Just send an e-mail to chikarawrestling@aol.com and type in the subject header: Add Me!

Q: Why are there so many CHIKARA 6-man (or 8-man) tag team matches?
A: Multiple-man tag matches are our specialty, an artform almost lost here in the United States, and it is an exciting type of match that allows for incredible action, creativity and zaniness. If you think of a wrestling match as a blank canvas, and each wrestler is a color in your paint palette, imagine how much more diverse a painting made with 6 or 8 colors can be than a painting made with just two.

Q: Who can compete in the Young Lions Cup tournament?
A: The current set of regulations state that any wrestler, age 25 or younger at the start of the tournament, is eligible.

Q: Is Ichabod Slayne the guy that now wrestles as Icarus?
A: Yes. Ichabod Slayne lost his mask on December 7th, 2002 to Blind Rage, and has since been wrestling without a hood as Icarus.

Q: Didn't Gran Akuma wear a mask?
A: He did, but lost it on November 13th, 2005 to Shane Storm.

Q: May I have some pudding?
A: You didn't say "please."

Q: I want to collect all the songs the wrestlers use for entrances, what are they?
A: Not all of them are commercially available. Some that are include "Hey Sandy" by Polaris (Chuck Taylor theme), "God is God" by Laiboch (Hallowicked theme), "Ants Marching" by Dave Matthews Band (Colony theme), "Blue Monday" by Orgy (Icarus theme), "Tearing the Veil from Grace" by Cradle of Filth (Neo Solar Temple theme), "Break it Down Again" by Tears for Fears (Mike Quackenbush theme), "All Star" by SmashMouth (Bob Saget theme) and "Welcome to the Jungle" by Guns n' Roses (Shane Storm theme).

Q: Some of the CHIKARA DVD covers look like comic book covers, is that a coincidence?
A: Absolutely not. In fact, several web pages discuss the numerous pop culture allusions found in CHIKARA. This page does an excellent job of breaking it down one reference at a time, and there are several others as well. Our comic book homage DVD covers are the work of Marco D'Alfonso, a Canadian artist and lover of pudding.

Q: What was the deal with Lester Crabtree being dead?
A: Lester Crabtree faked his own death in the summer of 2003. Private Eye uncovered the plot as a life insurance scam, and exposed Crabtree's intent to flee to Brazil with the fraudulent funds. Since being foiled, Crabtree has returned to work at CHIKARA until hatching his next get-rich-quick scheme.

Q: Whatever happened to Dragonfly/Don Montoya/Jolly Roger/BlackJack Marciano/DJ Skittlez/Private Eye?
A: All of these wrestlers have left the business due to injury, personal committments and other whatnot. None of them are dead.

Q: I like the art used on the web page.Who makes all that stuff?
A: The illustrations used on our roster page were created by Marco D'Alfonso, Wiggly, and Shaun Ramkissoon. Artwork submitted to us for display in our gallery is credited as sent to us, and you can find that sort of information by holding your mouse over the image and/or looking in the caption box.

Q: Are there any pictures of the masked wrestlers without their masks on?
A: Of course. Their parents probably have several.

Just to save KK the trouble.

Ahh, yes. Pre-emptively cut me off two minutes after I've finished. :y:

Xero
04-14-2008, 05:31 PM

AKA: We couldn't afford commentators.

BigDaddyCool
04-14-2008, 05:35 PM
Derek Saboto is a ref. I used to give that guy shit all the time.

Kane Knight
04-14-2008, 05:47 PM

AKA: We couldn't afford commentators.

Or: We lack the technical skills to offer both closed captioning and commentary.

The Mackem
04-14-2008, 06:10 PM
Can't blame anyone for having a go and from what I know they do it different to the norm.

Mooияakeя™
04-14-2008, 06:39 PM
Greatest. Promo. Ever.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wo8mEY05-A4&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wo8mEY05-A4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Xero
04-14-2008, 06:45 PM
Somehow I now respect Khali for his promos.

Destor
04-14-2008, 06:51 PM
Watched King Of Trios 08 Nights 1 and 2, in the middle of 3. Good shows.
This I agree with.

Destor
04-14-2008, 06:53 PM
CHIKARA is always fun to watch. I watch them when I can. For those who have NOT seen Quack, get to it! :y: for CHIKARA
I also support Quackenbush.

Mooияakeя™
04-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Yeah, I've not seen ANYTHING of CHIKARA, jsut a few things here and there, but not a solid match or what I'd really love... a full card. But I hear Quackenbush is the man. Don't he run the training school too?

Destor
04-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Yea

The Show Off
04-14-2008, 08:20 PM
Greatest. Promo. Ever.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wo8mEY05-A4&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wo8mEY05-A4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I support any promo that uses the term no-goodnick.

Super V
04-14-2008, 08:22 PM
Too many armdrags for me.

Mr. Nerfect
04-14-2008, 08:47 PM
CHIKARA is awesome. Xero is just jealous because CHIKARA is generally funnier than he is. Like most things Xero hates.

The promotion offers a fun atmosphere, with lots of guys that are fantastic in the ring. Chris Hero, Claudio Castagnoli, Mike Quackenbush and a lot of great luchadores. They also have some of the most entertaining gimmicks out there. Come on, The Bear mauling referees for making sure he/she isn't concealing any foreign objects?

The thing about CHIKARA's goofiness, is that they intent to be goofy. Other companies just unintentionally look ridiculous because professional wrestling is, inherently, ridiculous. I can imagine a person flicking over to Triple H, and thinking "this is ridiculous, this guy is meant to be taken seriously?" No one could ever flick over to CHIKARA and think "I'm meant to think this is serious?"

Comedy helps ease people into professional wrestling. It makes the guys involved look less like roided up idiots who take their carny profession too seriously. It's much harder to mock people who are already mocking themselves, and obviously having fun doing it.

CHIKARA also has some damn fine ring work. So it's got the fun down, the art down. If only it had a bit more serious drama at times, but I'm not an avid follower, so who knows, it might?

It's definitely an "alternative" and "niche product." I actually think it has more casual appeal than the WWE would have, though. Just because you don't actually feel stupid or guilty for watching it, because it's making just as much fun of itself as you are.

thecc
04-14-2008, 09:03 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C4GiX2NXZEU&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C4GiX2NXZEU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Rollermacka
04-14-2008, 09:04 PM
I've been huge into Chikara since the beginning of 2006. If you don't mind dropping the $20 for it I highly recommend their best of 2007 dvd.Theres 22 matches on it,so you definitely get your money's worth.

http://smartmarkvideo.com/product.php?productid=16217&cat=10&page=1

Where can you find the DVD's? I've looked at Walmart, Hollywood Video, Bestbuy. It sounds like a solid wrestling promotion.

thecc
04-14-2008, 09:10 PM
*shill*

www.smartmarkvideo.com has Chikara and other fine indies as well.

Blitz
04-14-2008, 11:16 PM
Where can you find the DVD's? I've looked at Walmart, Hollywood Video, Bestbuy. It sounds like a solid wrestling promotion.
DVDs are only at Smart Mark Video, except the Best of Chikara. I don't know if that's available at big chains like Wal Mart, but other places might have it.

Blitz
04-14-2008, 11:17 PM
Also, Neo Solar Temple>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Xero Limit 126.

Heros Welcome
04-14-2008, 11:41 PM
DVDs are only at Smart Mark Video, except the Best of Chikara. I don't know if that's available at big chains like Wal Mart, but other places might have it.

For those who can still find it and are curious on how CHIKARA is, I'd pick it up. Only 10 bucks and a good watch.

thecc
04-14-2008, 11:59 PM
For those who can still find it and are curious on how CHIKARA is, I'd pick it up. Only 10 bucks and a good watch.And it's up on netflix as well.

Mr. Monday Morning
04-15-2008, 07:46 AM
Dragon Dragon :love:

Although more recently, Hydra :love::love:

Mr. Nerfect
04-15-2008, 06:00 PM
CP Munk, The Bear, Player Uno, Dragon Dragon...:love:

Mr. Nerfect
04-15-2008, 06:03 PM
If I were MyNetworkTV, I'd be looking to sign CHIKARA to a national TV deal, and put them on after SmackDown!. Become the home for comedy wrestling. Of course, you have to not edit Vladimir Kozlov's entrances and play Cole and Coach's awful commentary over the top of CHIKARA (have the names of the WWE wrestlers dubbed over with CHIKARA wrestlers' names).