PDA

View Full Version : As if you needed more of a reason to love Oasis

Loose Cannon
04-15-2008, 05:28 PM
lol :love:

British music festival is criticized for inviting Jay-Z

LONDON - Organizers of one of Britain's best-known music festivals on Tuesday defended their decision to book Jay-Z as their headline act after Oasis songwriter Noel Gallagher blamed the U.S. rapper for disappointing ticket sales.

The outdoor Glastonbury festival is a cornerstone of Britain's music calendar. But this year's festival has yet to sell out, in contrast to past years when tickets were snapped up within hours.

Gallagher, whose band headlined the festival in 1995 and 2004, said rap was to blame.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it," Gallagher said in an interview, an audio of which was posted to the British Broadcasting Corp.'s Web site Monday. "If you break it, people ain't gonna go. I'm sorry, but Jay-Z? ... No chance." He explained that the inclusion of a hip-hop act went against the festival's tradition of guitar music, adding: "I'm not having hip-hop at Glastonbury. No way. No. It's wrong."

Glastonbury Festival co-organizer Emily Eavis said the 38-year-old festival had a long history of attracting rap acts, including Cypress Hill and The Roots. She said the media stir over Gallagher's comments revealed an "innate conservatism" in some sectors of British society.

"There is also an interesting undercurrent in the suggestion that a black, U.S. hip-hop artist shouldn't be playing in front of what many perceive to be a white, middle-class audience. I'm not sure what to call it, at least not in public, but this is something that causes me some disquiet," she said in an article published Tuesday in The Independent newspaper.

Eavis said she thought Jay-Z was "absolutely the right act" for the festival.

Loose Cannon
04-15-2008, 05:29 PM
by the way, In the "what's your favorite album of all-time thread",

Answer: What's the Story Morning Glory.

Kane Knight
04-15-2008, 09:54 PM
I'm still looking for a reason to like them at all.

The Mask
04-16-2008, 12:18 AM
tbh if i hear about a festival i expect nearly 90% of the bands to be guitar based, over here at least. noel gallagher is right. there's a balance to be found and jay-z headlining isn't it. the people who are gonna live in a tent and shit in a fucking trough for 3 days are rock fans, not hip hop.

note: the mask hated shitting in a trough and recieved splashback which scarred for life.

St. Jimmy
04-16-2008, 01:25 AM
God I love Oasis.

Fabien Barthez
04-16-2008, 06:20 PM
Hip Hop headlining Glastonbury is rediculous really. Its like Country headlining Download. There is a place for hip hop there, but not in such a high profile way, and not the hip hop that Jay Z produces.

The hip hop acts that combine outstanding production and musucuanship such as The Roots and Dizzee and Pharell are widely accepted within the diverse and generally educated English festival audience, fir that reason. And the hip hop acts who have become more of a retro historic act such as Cypress, PE, Wu Tang, Beasties. They get their props for innovation mostly...

But Ho's and Bling monkeys like Jay-Z, are a different story.

Fabien Barthez
04-16-2008, 06:24 PM
And Noel is the man. He said this week he won't do the Oasis residency at the O2, just like everyone else, even though it pays the best. It is a shit venue for attmosphere and sound and he knows it. Thats a move of a legend right there. Everyone else has just took the money.

Oasis is the soundtrack to my teenage years. Still the best. Always relivant. Every gig I've been to in the last 2 and a half years, have just been disapointing becuase it wasn't Oasis. (Well, except for Noel and Gem acoustic in march. :) )

Loose Cannon
04-16-2008, 09:41 PM
there's this live cd they have out that I need to get. a radio station played a part of it here today and the entire crowd sang along to Don't Look Back in Anger (the chorus) it was tremendous

what cd is that? anyone know?

Kapoutman
04-16-2008, 11:49 PM
Familiar to Millions?

Blitz
04-17-2008, 12:00 AM
Yeah Familiar To Millions. There's videos of the performances from that show on Youtube. I wanna see them live so bad.

Blitz
04-17-2008, 12:02 AM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/39NS7h92WcA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/39NS7h92WcA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Xerzes
04-17-2008, 01:16 AM
Meh.

Indifferent Clox
04-17-2008, 01:26 AM
I think Jay Z is of much higher caliber than a simple 'bling monkey' as you called him.

He's in my top ten of hip hop artists which is somewhat like this

Aesop Rock
Sage Francis
Atmosphere
Dose One
Jay Z
Nas
Wu Tang
Why?
Public Enemy
Lil Wayne

O.G Loc
04-17-2008, 02:00 AM
^ Yeah? Why no Public Enemy you son of a bitch

El Fangel
04-17-2008, 02:04 AM
Haha Loc,

Public Enemy, is one of the few hip hop artists I actually like.

U-Warrior
04-17-2008, 02:25 AM
I think Jay Z is of much higher caliber than a simple 'bling monkey' as you called him.

True, but he still doesn't belong in fucking Glastonbury.

Also, I will slay someone to see Oasis, live.

El Fangel
04-17-2008, 02:29 AM
I would kill someone for only 5 tickets, I woudl seriously beat someone for an Oasis ticket.

Indifferent Clox
04-17-2008, 02:40 AM
^ Yeah? Why no Public Enemy you son of a bitch

WTF! I really thought I put PE on there. My bad.

Fabien Barthez
04-17-2008, 05:19 AM

Well, tell that to the 30,000 people who HAVEN'T bought Glasto tickets. FYI it sold out in around 2 hours when Oasis headlined a few years ago. (Nothing to do with Paul McCartney i'm sure.)

Oh yeah, http://www.nme.com/news/oasis/35766

For the Cannucks.

Avenger
04-17-2008, 03:02 PM
lol

guys Oasis are great and have many great songs and Noel is a great songwriter

but they are fucking tossers who are not rock legends, just a great band who have had their day

I'm not a hip hop fan but Jay-Z is a great artist.

I remember what Chris Rock said in one of his stand up shows about have to defend rap and hip hop. While Ludacris etc. are trash, 2Pac etc. was art.

What Jay Z does is art and real music and I think people will be very surprised at the great reaction he gets at Glastonbury.

The ticket sales thing is bullshit, it is not due to Jay Z. The goddamn Verve are headlining the last night. That should be enough, people are just fed up as there is no really great new music about - it's all the same. Plus the weather will be shit.

Hip hop is the biggest selling music genre in the world. It should've headlined Glastonbury earlier. No-one complained when fucking Shirley Bassey or Tony whathisname way to Amarillo played it.

fuck

Avenger
04-17-2008, 03:06 PM
oh and Americans seem to get way too overexcited about them

Indifferent Clox
04-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Well, tell that to the 30,000 people who HAVEN'T bought Glasto tickets. FYI it sold out in around 2 hours when Oasis headlined a few years ago. (Nothing to do with Paul McCartney i'm sure.)

Oh yeah, http://www.nme.com/news/oasis/35766

For the Cannucks.

I'm not saying he's right for Glasto.

I'm just saying he's not one who just sings about bling and bitches either. Blueprint and American Gangster are two of the finest rap albums of the decade.

Indifferent Clox
04-17-2008, 04:54 PM
I think Ludacris isn't nearly as bad as a hell of a lot of other rappers.

IMO.

road doggy dogg
04-17-2008, 05:11 PM
lol, huge British band headlines huge British show and it sells out.

huge American rapper headlines huge British show and it doesn't sell out.

No shit?
crossrine

Downunder
04-17-2008, 05:34 PM
LOL Bling Monkey - I fucking love that :D

and I am of the opinion that rappers belong in smaller venues rather than huge festivals.

Fabien Barthez
04-17-2008, 05:55 PM
The ticket sales thing is bullshit, it is not due to Jay Z. The goddamn Verve are headlining the last night. That should be enough, people are just fed up as there is no really great new music about - it's all the same. Plus the weather will be shit.

Hip hop is the biggest selling music genre in the world. It should've headlined Glastonbury earlier. No-one complained when fucking Shirley Bassey or Tony whathisname way to Amarillo played it.

fuck

Ok, The Verve sold out over 100,000 tickets last year. To use them as an excuse for poor sales, is just nonsense. Who exactly is fed up with seeing the Verve live? They didn't play a gig for 11 years!

No-one complained about Tony Christie or Shirley Bassey because they both played the traditional legends slot on the Sunday afternoon. Why are you comparing Jay-Z with Shirley Bassey anyway? Neil Diamond is playing as well, can you draw any comparisons with him and the Jigga Man?

Hip-hop might be the biggest commercial genre out there right now, but Glasto has an Indie/Alternative audience... And JayZ is not the Parapper the Rapper to please said demographic. The one's that do, based on their previous success's in this country, I've pre-listed in a post before.

Oh, and Oasis are more or less the biggest selling guitar band to originate inside the last 20 years, so that makes them a bit legendary in my book.

Avenger
04-17-2008, 07:16 PM
Ok, The Verve sold out over 100,000 tickets last year. To use them as an excuse for poor sales, is just nonsense. Who exactly is fed up with seeing the Verve live? They didn't play a gig for 11 years!I think you misread me.

Read my post again and you'll see I meant the fact the Verve is playing means that there should be huge ticket sales.

So why isn't there? There is no correlation between the acts playing and poor ticket sales. It's down to other reasons.

Are people seriously going "hmm, I'd love to see the Verve but I'm not going to buy tickets on principle because that negro Jay Z is playing".

People are idiots.

Jay Z rocks, plus his wife is hot as fuck (not relevant but ohhh yeah :y:)

Fabien Barthez
04-17-2008, 08:25 PM
Oh, OK. I did misread you.

People aren't buying tickets because people can get the headline acts they would expect at Glastonbury, elsewhere. V, T in the Park, Reading, Leeds, all headlined by alternative rock bands, all sold out.

The simple fact is, the sort of people who generally listen to commercial hip hop, don't do alot of festival going. So while he may not in theory be forcing people away, he certainly isn't bringing people in. A big percentage of people who go to festivals, attend on the basis of the headline act. You have surely seen the emmense ammount of t-shirts of the main headline act being worn by the people you wouldn't talk to? There's always LOADS of them. Can you see many Jay-Z t-shirts being worn at Glastonbury? I'm doubting it.

Avenger
04-17-2008, 08:46 PM
I'm going to buy a ticket, buy a Jay Z t-shirt and take pictures of myself in various disguises around the festival just to spite you.

Fabien Barthez
04-17-2008, 08:54 PM
:y: :love:

Loose Cannon
04-17-2008, 10:42 PM
do europeans act and dress all thug like some white American males do? usually ages 9-25

Avenger
04-17-2008, 10:54 PM
some but not to the extent they do over there

Kapoutman
04-18-2008, 12:52 AM
Oasis is planning a North American tour right now. I bought tickets for the Montreal show on September 5. :heart:

Indifferent Clox
04-18-2008, 12:55 AM
What in your opinion is the best oasis album?

Downunder
04-18-2008, 01:22 AM
What's The Story...

Danny Electric
04-18-2008, 05:55 AM
lol
Oasis still stuck in the mid-nineties. I understand what Noel is going on about but he's still a cunt.