PDA

View Full Version : Could an HBK Intercontinental title run work?

HTrain90
04-19-2008, 12:14 PM
I don't know if this has been discussed, but I think it could make for some interesting conversation. It's pretty well known that HBK doesn't want to hold the world title for any length of time at this point in his career - he's at a point where he simply want to help get younger guys over using his established stardom. But, could this stardom be used to get some luster back to the Intercontinental Championship?

The IC strap has amounted to absolute shit in the past few years. It hasn't been defended at Wrestlemania since X8 (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong as I don't feel like researching), and hasn't really produced any bonafide stars in the past 5 years or so.

The thing that bugs me the most is the IC strap being used to promote other storylines. Such as Umaga winning the belt heading into Wrestlemania 23 and his match with Bobby Lashley - which he lost. Then Jeff Hardy holding the belt throughout his feud with Orton - only to lose every time he faced RKO. The IC strap is being used not to get people over, but to manufacture success into someone who is jobbing to the top guys. They need to fix this.

It looks like the strap on Y2J is helping a LOT. His match with Umaga the other night was great, and the Y2J heel turn tease was fabulous. This leads me to my question (sorry this took so long).

Could an HBK run work? Obviously HBK and Y2J would tear it up and have some classic matches (for those who haven't watched the Wrestlmania XIX match, please do - it's amazing). If booked right, they could use this to bring the IC belt back up, rather than to drag HBK down. The question is, could it be done? And how would it need to be booked? Who comes out of the HBK-Y2J feud with the strap, and then who is the next in line to face him? I'm partial to HBK getting the strap and lining up Kennedy or Carlito to face him. HBK could drag some fantastic matches out of Carlito, and Kennedy-HBK have proven they can work well together.

Anyways, what do you all think? Would putting HBK into the IC title picture for 6 months or so boost the IC strap, or hurt HBK? Could it work?

Kane Knight
04-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Any title reign could work.

Anyway, since Shawn Michaels could probably job out to the Brooklyn Brawler and not lose any steam, I don't think the IC title would hurt him. He doesn't need the strap, but I think he could probably elevate it and have some meaningful programs with up and comers.

James Steele
04-19-2008, 01:10 PM
A heel HBK would be the greatest thing to happen...ever.

Theo Dious
04-19-2008, 01:18 PM
I think this could be a good thing for the IC title in general. Michaels could basically step up to the heel IC champion of the time (Kennedy perhaps) and talk about how he doesn't know anything about the title he holds and he doesnt' respect it. Also if they choose to do so, they should have Shawn bring back the classic belt because I'm sick of not seeing that thing.

ozzman6669
04-19-2008, 02:19 PM
I remember in the 90's that I liked more the IC than the world title, it as better wrestler fighting for it and better story and match. With HBK, Bret Hart, Razor Ramon, Mr. Perfect and a little bit latter HHH and The Rock got great match for it. I hope it will be like that again.

Jeritron
04-19-2008, 02:20 PM
I can't understanndddd youuuu. Go back to your countrryyyyyy. White power.

No seriously though, I agree with you

Fox
04-19-2008, 04:38 PM
I don't think they need to put the belt on a legend like HBK to restore its credibility, they just need to put it on someone and build him with it over a long period of time.

Randy Orton's record breaking IC Title reign is a perfect example of how the belt can make the wrestler and the wrestler can in turn help to make the belt. I thought Jeff Hardy was having an excellent run as IC Champion, and to correct HTrain90, Jeff actually had SEVERAL clean pin falls over Randy Orton as the IC Champion, and also defeated Triple H while wearing the strap.

To answer the question though, do I think an HBK title run would work? Absolutely, and only because it's Shawn Michaels and he can make nearly anything look good. But do I think it's a step in the right direction of rebuilding the IC Title belt? No, I don't.

Theo Dious
04-19-2008, 07:14 PM
Any title reign could work.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg81/darthteedious/MauryChamp.jpg

Maury 3:16 says you are NOT the father!
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
</>
Yes, I just wanted an excuse to use that picture more than once.

Londoner
04-19-2008, 07:34 PM
Would love a hbk/jericho feud over the ic title at the very least.

The Optimist
04-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Asking "Could it work?" is a question that will usually be answered with "If they do it right."

I can't see HBK, in character, giving a damn about the title. It could be nice ornamentation for a Jericho/Shawn fued, if they want to do that though. Because they'd have to try really hard to make those matches look bad.

Jeritron
04-19-2008, 10:28 PM
It's hard to make the IC title, or any secondary title, look good on someone who's held the world title.

I've seen it done decently, but not really great, with Jericho, Booker T, Benoit and Kane. Prob because they only had limited, overshadowed and one-shot title runs.

I've seen it fail with Flair and HHH. Especially HHH. Probably because they spent time at the top and became synonymous with the belt.
It just doesn't seem right. Why would he bother? Same would go for Shawn as them, or Austin or Rock etc.

IF Shawn held the IC title I have no doubt that it would lead to good matches and programs. But I don't see it elevating the title as much as it would make him seem awkward. He's bulletproof, so you can't lessen him, but it would seem like he was being lessened and from a character standpoint I don't see why he'd do it, or why he'd need it.

You can put those guys you want having good matches and programs with him in programs with him anyways. This means the only reason to put the IC title on Shawn logically would be to try to elevate it's credibility, which, like HHH holding it in 2001, seems to be more awkward and demeaning to the wrestler than honorable and helpful to the prestige of the belt.

slextremely
04-19-2008, 11:47 PM
Tron is right. HBK has had repeat title runs and is always in the title hunt even though he jobs out. With guys like y2j, kane, or benoit only in the world title hunt in an EC or taboo tuesday type thing.

Londoner
04-20-2008, 06:14 AM
The way they could do this is following on from the batista match in which jericho is guest ref, jericho somehow screws hbk out of the match and batista wins, then HBK challenges jericho for the ic title, while making it clear its also a personal thing between the two now and he wants to take that title from jericho to prove a point. Could see that happening tbh.

jcmoorehead
04-20-2008, 08:51 AM
A fued set up like that could work. I suppose from a character perspective you could make HBK care about the title because he's sick and tired of the way it's been treated by those who have held it.

The title used to be held by what many consider to be the best in the business regardless of if they had an amazing world title run. People have mentioned it used to produce some of the best matches on a card at times. People like HBK helped make it into a title worth holding and sometimes a title people would care about more then the world title. Now it's little more an an accessory and a status.

You could run with that angle, that HBK wants to build the title back into something worth wanting again. Something with the potential to steal the show once more. That's my idea at least of how you could show HBK being interested in it again.

Mooияakeя™
04-20-2008, 11:36 AM
There's enough wrestlers hanging around to give that title credibility.

So in short, it's not gonna happen.

Theo Dious
04-20-2008, 11:41 AM
There's enough wrestlers hanging around to give that title credibility.

So in short, it's not gonna happen.

The HBK thing or the title getting credibility? :shifty:

Mooияakeя™
04-20-2008, 12:05 PM
The HBK thing or the title getting credibility? :shifty:

When u think it's something we'd actually want... both really.

Mr. Nerfect
04-22-2008, 04:09 AM
I agree with Fox, completely. I guess it could be possible to boost the IC Title via HBK, but it seems like a big fish wrestling in a small pond. The Jericho vs. Michaels idea is very hard to complain about, but what happens when one or both of those guys leaves the title scene? It is back to being a mid-card belt.

The best way to boost the IC Title, is to come from underneath it. Guys like Charlie Haas need to stop being confined to Heat, and need to start making bitches tap to the Haas of Pain. Ron Killings, when they decide to put him on television, is a solid talent that can connect to crowds. He'd be great for the title scene. Paul Burchill has got a gimmick that gets heat, and some skills. Maybe move Finlay over from SmackDown!, because although he could do wonders for freshening up the main event, it doesn't seem like the WWE wants him there.

If HBK were going to make a title look important, I'd go with the ECW Title. It's not the biggest championship in the WWE, but it's still a World Championship, so it may not necessarily look like a step down for HBK. And come one, HBK vs. John Morrison, HBK vs. Elijah Burke, HBK vs. Shelton Benjamin, HBK vs. CM Punk, HBK vs. Chavo Guerrero and even HBK vs. The Miz would all be good matches, at the very least.

Of course, that won't happen, because HBK doesn't seem interested in changing brands, which makes you wonder if he'd even been interesting in making a title credible. Hell, the WWE Championship has arguably needed it for years. Besides, if HBK was going to put the IC Title over, he could have probably done it by making that match he jobbed to Jeff Hardy in on RAW once an IC Title bout. Of course, the decision didn't come down to Michaels, but that match really should have been for the IC Title, and wasn't. There just isn't much investment in it these days.

The King of the Ring has proven changes can come out of nowhere, though, so who knows, we might see the WWE start giving a shit about the title. In fact, William Regal would probably make a damn good IC Champion right about now. I just think he deserves to be higher.

Stickman
04-22-2008, 11:55 AM
I'd like to see it only if he was the heel.

Mr. Nerfect
04-23-2008, 12:02 PM
I actually wouldn't mind a three-way feud between Chris Jericho, Shawn Michaels and Batista over the WWE Intercontinental Championship. Granted, it has its holes (like what happens to the belt when those guys go back to the main event), but it would lead to a nice series of matches.

St. Jimmy
04-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Jericho and HBK could work an indy circuit match filled with TONS OF ARMBARS. Then they could slap each other and throw stiff shots for 20 minutes, then more armbars, trade submissions, do a bunch of crazy spots where no one actually hits a move and do some silly rope flips, and then as soon as someone finally goes for a fall - 60 MINUTE TIME LIMIT HAS PASSED.

... You know... even though there is no time limit in WWE.

St. Jimmy
04-23-2008, 01:31 PM
I think I just booked ROH for the entire year in one post.

Anybody Thrilla
04-23-2008, 05:38 PM
I like the idea of Michaels saying that he's sick of how people have treated the title, but that would make it seem like the WWE was admitting to its own mistake, so I simply can't see that happening.