PDA

View Full Version : FOO FIGHTERS - a review by Downunder

Downunder
04-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Right here we go:

The night started with the Mrs. and I getting to the dome early so we could get something to eat and a few drinks, the fish and chips were fucking awful but the couple of pints of Heineken went down pretty good, anyway on to the venue. The first thing you do is give a security ape your ticket in exchange for a coloured wristband; we had fluro orange which meant FRONT OF THE STAGE BABY!!! Cool except you don't get to keep your tickets and I like to keep all my concert tickets. No matter. Anyway once the doors opened 30 minutes late there were people everywhere, but we were well positioned in the queue.

Ok in we go, as soon as we get through the doors my Mrs. decides she wants a tour shirt, are you fucking kidding there are a thousand other people with front of the stage wristbands FUCK!! She wouldn't let me go on ahead and save her spot so I had to stand with her while she bought the fucking shirt. RIGHT LETS GO!!! 5 meters from the front of the stage section and she wants to go to the ladies OH YOU HAVE TO BE FUCKING KIDDING ME!!! I gave her one of those make it quick or there is going to be a divorce looks, she fired back one of "those" looks that only a woman can do and I waited patiently. She was back pretty quick. Anyway I guess everyone else was waiting for the wives to have a slash because when we got to the section we got a spot right at the barrier ROCK ON!!

Right so the opening act that played to the few thousand early people was Kaki King, if you have never seen this chick play guitar then do yourself a favour and do a YouTube search - wow this chick can play. But for me it's a bit of a novelty as I got a bit bored after a few songs, but you can't knock the chick’s talent.

Second act - The Mess Hall, I think they are Australian, but they suck and I was bored after half a song.

BOOM!

The Foo Fighters hit opening with Let It Die - I nearly fucking did, Dave Grhol is a fucking God, they ripped through The Pretender, Times Like These, Breakout (fucking scream) Learn to Fly, Cheer Up Boys, This is a Call and I didn't take a breath until Stacked Actors - I pretty sure the band didn't either. As a frontman Dave is the man, he worked the crowd into frenzy. Things slowed down a bit with the next few songs - Skin and Bones, Marigold, My Hero (big sing along moment for the crowd) then Dave introduced the band, everyone got a good pop and the triangle player did a solo - funny as shit. Then he introduced Taylor Hawkins on the drums. I don't know why but he got a HUGE pop - he is the man though. Taylor then sang Cold Day In The Sun - Was pretty fucking good.

Right, the show just fucking rocked along like a Foo Fighters show should, with Everlong, Monkey Wrench (one of my all time favourite Foos songs) and ended with all My Life.

Then Dave and Taylor did a little backstage skit that was shown on the big screens arguing over how many more songs to play, Taylor wanted to play 5 more and Dave wanted to play 1 more, they settled on 3 more. Big me, Long Road to Ruin and brought the fucking house down with Best Of You.

Fucking awesome show, fucking fucking awesome! FUCK!

Pics up in a bit.

Blue Demon
04-22-2008, 09:44 PM
SWEET...My Hero is probably my fave song by them :D

thedamndest
04-22-2008, 10:16 PM
Man, who would have thought in 1992 that the drummer from Nirvana would turn into such the man? Or even when he put out the first album and people were like "Yeah dude, the drummer from Nirvana just started a new band!!" I saw them in 2003, good stuff.

O.G Loc
04-22-2008, 11:02 PM
Opening with Let it Die? Good god...should've opened with All My Life.

Ninti the Mad
04-23-2008, 12:48 AM
American made.

Downunder
04-23-2008, 01:02 AM
The last great American rock band

Downunder
04-23-2008, 01:24 AM
PICS

http://members.iinet.net.au/~helgar1/images/Foo/Kaki.jpg
Kaki King

http://members.iinet.net.au/~helgar1/images/Foo/mess_hall.jpg
The Mess Hall - shit

http://members.iinet.net.au/~helgar1/images/Foo/Foo_stage.jpg
Crappy pic of the stage

http://members.iinet.net.au/~helgar1/images/Foo/dave_spot.jpg
The stage extended right out into the crowd, this is Dave doing a bit of a solo for the cheap seats

http://members.iinet.net.au/~helgar1/images/Foo/dave.jpg
Up close and personal with Dave Grohl :cool:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~helgar1/images/Foo/t-shirt.jpg
The t-shirt my Mrs bought (I should have got one for myself...)

weather vane
04-23-2008, 01:29 AM
The last great American rock band

O.G Loc
04-23-2008, 02:33 AM
LOL Nice shirt

RP
04-23-2008, 07:21 AM
I'm hoping they stop in Indy this summer. I'm there. Did they do Febuary Stars?

El Vaquero de Infierno
04-23-2008, 07:24 AM
I haven't seen the Foos since 2002. I should go see them again, mainly because they won't have shitty-assed Cave-in (shot at baird) supporting them this time round.

Fabien Barthez
04-23-2008, 10:49 AM
Suprised They didn't play Keep The Car Running by Arcade Fire...

Kaki King is fucking amazing! She is one one of the album tracks also. I saw her a few years back in a little place with Devon Sprowle. One of the best gigs ever.

Glad you had a good one, You fat cunt :D

Last great American rock band? Have a fucking word with yourself, mate.

The Destroyer
04-23-2008, 04:39 PM
I haven't seen the Foos since 2002. I should go see them again, mainly because they won't have shitty-assed Cave-in (shot at baird) supporting them this time round.
Fuck you.:kiss:

One band I still really, really want to see, after stupidly turning down two chances to see them.

Downunder
04-24-2008, 04:29 AM
I'm hoping they stop in Indy this summer. I'm there. Did they do Febuary Stars?

no thaey didn't come to think of it, suprising, it's another of my favourite Foos songs, but I didn't miss it.

Suprised They didn't play Keep The Car Running by Arcade Fire...

Kaki King is fucking amazing! She is one one of the album tracks also. I saw her a few years back in a little place with Devon Sprowle. One of the best gigs ever.

Glad you had a good one, You fat cunt :D

Last great American rock band? Have a fucking word with yourself, mate.

LAST GREAT AMERICAN ROCK BAND!

There is no better rock band out of America right now.

wanker

Fabien Barthez
04-24-2008, 05:55 AM
There is no more popular US band ATM.....

There are better though.

Downunder
04-24-2008, 06:58 AM
No there is not.

If you name one I will disagree - but knock yourself out.

Impeccable
04-24-2008, 07:52 AM
Sounds exactly the same as the shows they did in England before Christmas....even down to the backstage skit with number of songs to do.

Having said that, I would go and see it again!

Fabien Barthez
04-24-2008, 08:37 AM
No there is not.

If you name one I will disagree - but knock yourself out.

Thats why I didn't bother.

It's OK though. You are old. I wouldn't expect you to know of bands outside of the spotlight of direct mainstreamery.

:love:

Downunder
04-24-2008, 09:08 AM
I really thought you'd try.

You dissapoint me Barthez

Avenger
04-24-2008, 09:27 AM
no thaey didn't come to think of it, suprising, it's another of my favourite Foos songs, but I didn't miss it.

LAST GREAT AMERICAN ROCK BAND!

There is no better rock band out of America right now.

wanker
I would argue and say that Springsteen and the E Street Banda are still the best band in the world. (Rolling Stone's Best Live Act 2008 aswell)

But I can't argue with the greatness of the Foos, never really got deep into there stuff. I have Colour and Shape, Foo Fighters, One by One, In Your Honor and Nothing Left to Lose.

Which is best?

Downunder
04-24-2008, 09:42 AM
Born in the USA is one of the greatest rock albums of all time, what a shame everything else he did was utter shyte.

Out of the albums you mentioned, Nothing left to Lose and Colour and the Shape are my favourites.

Avenger
04-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Born in the USA is one of the greatest rock albums of all time, what a shame everything else he did was utter shyte.

Out of the albums you mentioned, Nothing left to Lose and Colour and the Shape are my favourites.
You know that's bullshit.

Have you listened to Greetings From Asbury Park, Wild Innocent and E Street Shuffle, Born to Run or his greatest album - Darkness on the Edge of Town.

At the end of the day music isn't a matter of saying something is utter shite, that shows complete ignorance, it might just not be your cup of tea but you can't say something is just shite.

Fabien Barthez
04-24-2008, 10:18 AM
I really thought you'd try.

You dissapoint me Barthez

Queens Of The Stone Age - Reveered (sp?) by Grohl as the best band on the planet. They have made 5 hugely rated albums in the last 9 years, Josh Homme is a fucking legend. There is no argument.

White Stripes. - 7 Albums over 11 years. All of them got massive reviews, although it took some time for the general public to catch on. The last 3 have been their biggest. White Blood Cells was the breakthrough record, then Elephant was Album of the Year everywhere, Seven Nation Army was the biggest song of the year. They have sold out stadiums everywhere, Headlined the biggest festivals in the world. Jack White is a fucking legend also. They embody the eithos of Americana music. They blend country with rock n roll, and punk, and put it together in a simplistic way that people obviously can relate to. The Raconteurs albums have both been class as well.

I got a few more, but this is about as big of a post as I could be arsed with...