PDA

View Full Version : ________ is underrated

Indifferent Clox
04-26-2008, 08:16 PM
With all this talk about radiohead and The boss being overrated who do you guys think is underrated?

I will start my vote with

Neutral Milk Hotel.

One of the greatest Indie bands of the 90s.

Mr. Nerfect
04-26-2008, 10:53 PM
Queen. No one respects those guys. :shifty:

Seriously, though, I'm a big fan of Electric Six. They often miss the nail they are trying to whack on the head, but a lot of their songs are really fucking good, and they don't seem to get too much credit. They're good if you're into their kind of "fun" shit.

Danger! High Voltage, Dance Commander, Synthesizer, Down at McDonnelzz, Gay Bar and I'm the Bomb are all pretty good, I think. Rubber Rocket, Improper Dancing and Let's Go Out Tonight (sort of) are pretty decent, too.

I don't think E6 are for everyone, though.

The Naitch
04-26-2008, 11:38 PM
Gino Vanelli

CSL
04-26-2008, 11:54 PM
CKY

Avenger
04-26-2008, 11:57 PM
Suicide

(see the song dream baby dream)

Requiem
04-27-2008, 01:26 AM
Electric Six is fucking awesome. Aside from the comedic aspect of their stuff, the music itself is pretty good.

Fabien Barthez
04-27-2008, 02:50 PM
Mars Volta
Mudhoney
The Fall
Presidents of the USA
M.I.A
Joe Cocker
Meg White
Icarus Line
Talking Heads
Earth Wind and Fire
Acid House

Some of those may be rated well already, but in my opinion, are still underrated to their value.

thedamndest
04-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Seems like with indie music either you haven't heard of it and therefore it's awesome or the band is on their second album so they must not be good anymore. Hard to tell what it's "rating" is.

I support most of Fab's list. I will say Jackyl, The Avalanches, Tesla, and John 5.

Indifferent Clox
04-27-2008, 03:34 PM
MIA was rolling stones artist of the year. I think that's pretty well rated lol.

Besides that I'll give you the rest

D Mac
04-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Trapt

Crossrine
04-27-2008, 04:31 PM
Ugly Kid Joe

Fabien Barthez
04-27-2008, 04:57 PM
MIA was rolling stones artist of the year. I think that's pretty well rated lol.

Besides that I'll give you the rest

Is it? Did you know she did artwork and sang on a few songs for 2pac? Did you know she has about 10 years of background as an amazing pop-culture artist?

Just because it's taken 4 years for the mainstream press to catch on, doesn't mean she isn't underrated. Her albums have hardly sold that well, and I don't see her headlining Coachella this weekend... She played in the afternoon in one of the tents. Rated by the press, but still underrated as far as the mass market knowledge of her goes.

Can't believe I forgot Winnebago Deal. Most underrated band ever. Check them the fuck out!!!

Fabien Barthez
04-27-2008, 05:01 PM
The Avalanches

It's the opinion of the entire faculty, that Dexter is criminally insane-ane-ane.

That boy needs therapy!

Good shout.

Fabien Barthez
04-27-2008, 05:03 PM
Robert Randolph and the Family Band

mitch_h
04-27-2008, 07:57 PM
The Constantines
Junior Boys
Grizzly Bear
Menomena

RP
04-27-2008, 08:10 PM
These Balls In Your Jaws

Indifferent Clox
04-28-2008, 12:28 AM
Is it? Did you know she did artwork and sang on a few songs for 2pac? Did you know she has about 10 years of background as an amazing pop-culture artist?

Just because it's taken 4 years for the mainstream press to catch on, doesn't mean she isn't underrated. Her albums have hardly sold that well, and I don't see her headlining Coachella this weekend... She played in the afternoon in one of the tents. Rated by the press, but still underrated as far as the mass market knowledge of her goes.

Can't believe I forgot Winnebago Deal. Most underrated band ever. Check them the fuck out!!!

I suppose. I mean she's one of my favs, and I hear all about her from the kids I hang out with, it's just weird to hear someone say she's underrated when she's pretty much like WHOA to me and my friends.

But you are right now that I think on it more objectively.

Vastardikai
04-30-2008, 12:18 AM
The Melvins (one of the most important bands of the last 20 years, influencing many different bands from Nirvana, to Tool, to Dillinger Escape Plan)
Clutch (Perhaps the best Rhythm Section in all of Hard Rock, and the best lyrics)
The Swans (NY's post punk band that came from the same scene as Sonic Youth and the Pixies, but were utterly heavy and sinister. One of the early Pioneers of Sludge Metal, alongside Later Black Flag)
Death (Chuck Shuldiner was one of the best guitarists known to man.)
Acid Bath (Dax Riggs' early band, equal parts Grindcore and Sludge-Metal and containing the most evil lyrics ever heard to that point. Dax's range was mind-blowing as he could scream like a hell-spawn one moment and sing in his dark, bluesy style the next. And he made it work. Members have gone on to form Deadboy and the Elephantmen as well as Goatwhore.)

DaveWadding
04-30-2008, 04:46 PM

YES He/They are fucking amazing.

Also, Steely Dan

Kane Knight
05-01-2008, 11:55 AM

Does that really fucking matter? If you're getting that kind of accolade, I think you've lost the right to call yourself underrated.

Though it is ironic watching Clox make that argument.

Potentially underrated:

Buffalo Tom: BT was a band that was rather large around Boston, but didn't really get a lot of acclaim outside the Boston scene. However, if one listens to Buffalo Tom and then Third Eye Blind, it's very easy to see where 3EB's first record came from. Which is ironic, because one of the BT records was accused of ripping off 3EB. Heavily influential on the 90s alternative sound.
La Peste: La Peste is another Boston area act who won the WBCN Rock and Roll Rumble, who had a modern Punk Sound back when the Ramones were off "inventing" it.
Extreme: LOL Hair Metal. No, but they had several very talented musicians. Any band that can spawn Population 1, Mourning Widows, and Tribe of Judah should be praised.
Brian May: Queen's Guitarist never really gets the praise he deserves. Best Guitarist Ever? No. But he's amazing, and often disregarded on this side of the pond at least.
Siouxsie and the Banshees: Again, this may be different on the other side of the pond, but over here, they're practically an Also-Ran group. Also, Despite them being a British act, I've never spoken to a Brit and brought up the name and had them recognise it. As a side note, I need to fince Twice Upon A Time again.
Ednaswap: Primarily, I only bring them up because the lead singer is so influential. I mean, the fact that her song "Torn" scored a hit for Natalie Imbruglia alone should say something, but then she's also written for some very big names, including Madonna, and penned hits for them. Ednaswap is cool on its own merit, but the success she had was fan-fucking-tastic.

I can probably name a lot more, but I don't feel like wasting the time.

thedamndest
05-01-2008, 01:20 PM
Too bad Gary Cherone gets remembered for Van Halen III.

Kane Knight
05-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Too bad Gary Cherone gets remembered for Van Halen III.

Too bad Van Halen isn't panned for that one.

Fabien Barthez
05-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Does that really fucking matter? If you're getting that kind of accolade, I think you've lost the right to call yourself underrated.

My point is, if she was rated as highly as I feel she should be, people would know her background, in the same way they do for other popular artists. He said 'She is everywhere, and highly rated in the mags atm' (in a nutshell) But nobody knows a thing about where she has come from, or what she has done in the past.

I said in the first place that some of them may be well recieved generally, but in my opinion should be appreciated further. Thus making them underrated in my eyes.

Mercury Bullet
05-01-2008, 09:07 PM

Indifferent Clox
05-01-2008, 10:42 PM
siouxsie and the banshees ftw.

"Hey bondage, up yours!"

Fabien Barthez
05-04-2008, 12:13 PM
Mr Hudson & The Library.

Nic Armstrong & The Theives

Kris P Lettus
05-04-2008, 12:53 PM

:y:

Indifferent Clox
05-05-2008, 02:56 AM
I think booyah is underrated.

road doggy dogg
05-05-2008, 03:44 AM
blink-182, because they're my favourite band and that's all that anybody ever lists in threads like this
crossrine

Indifferent Clox
05-05-2008, 04:23 AM
neutral milk hotel aren't my favorite band. your logic is flawed.

road doggy dogg
05-05-2008, 04:24 AM
blink-182
crossrine

Fabien Barthez
05-05-2008, 07:41 AM
Angels and Airwaves.

:lol: Just kidding.

Serious, I don't see anyone voting their favourites. I can see the argument for nearly all the suggestions so far.

Kane Knight
05-05-2008, 09:25 AM
Angels and Airwaves.

:lol: Just kidding.

Serious, I don't see anyone voting their favourites. I can see the argument for nearly all the suggestions so far.

I must confess, I think La Peste is the best band ever.

Certainly more than the Stone Coyotes, who I mention ten times a week, or The Who, or contemporaries Mission of Burma, or...

:D

I kid, of course. Though if we are listing only our favorites, I'd like to bring up Bowie, Queen, and Led Zepplin. these poor underrated artists deserve some critical praise for once!

Fabien Barthez
05-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Yeah, I picked up Ziggy Stardust. That thing could really fly if people got behind it! :y:

Kane Knight
05-05-2008, 03:11 PM
You hear this "Bohemian Rhapsody" Thing Queen's got? I do think that this could be big.

Fabien Barthez
05-06-2008, 06:52 AM
Ill check it out. Thanks for the tip! You sure have your finger on the red hot pulse there, KK! :y:

Anybody Thrilla
05-07-2008, 05:32 PM
Scapegoat Wax
Chronic Future

Rammsteinmad
12-19-2014, 05:41 AM
http://www.mediaboom.org/uploads/posts/2008-04/1208583845_stuck_mojo_.jpg

http://www.metal-metropolis.com/Savatage/savatage_logopic.jpg

There are countless Prog Metal bands I love that seem to go by unnoticed by everyone, but I won't bother considering them "underrated" since they're playing a fairly niche musical genre in the first place. With that said though, I love Andromeda and they're pretty much unheard of.

http://www.rhythmauthors.com/images/andromeda_band.jpg

El Vaquero de Infierno
12-19-2014, 12:53 PM

They are one of those bands that are far better live than they are recorded.

Rammsteinmad
12-19-2014, 01:03 PM
Wow, only just realized this thread is almost seven years old! Someone must have posted or edited something coz my post is the first from today but I certainly didn't bump it. :o

The Condor
12-19-2014, 02:59 PM
The Bloodhound Gang