PDA

View Full Version : UNFL wants to become NFL 'feeder' league..

Kris P Lettus
04-29-2008, 03:38 PM
I can't post a link or the actual story cause I can't copy/paste on this stupid hotel internet browser but it's at USAtoday.com in the NFL sports section..

Pretty much a former CFL player and a former NFL, and other smaller leagues from the 80's, player want to start a "feeder" league for the NFL.. They will start with eight teams, each with a 60 man roster.. 40 guys will be division 1 guys, the other 20 will be from eleswhere (small schools, joco, no college, etc).. All the players will get $1000 a week, and play a 10 week season.. They are only eligible for two years and aren't eligible once they sign with a pro team.. It'd be reginally covered and ticket prices will be like minor league baseball (around $11 per game)..

No league has been able to compete with the NFL so these guys aren't trying that.. They want to feed the NFL with the numerous undrafted talent after the college level..

This might actaully be good..

Stickman
04-29-2008, 05:27 PM
Sounds interesting, but sounds like Arena league on a real field. I'm assuming they are doing this based on NFL europe shutting down recently?

Gonzo
04-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Probably would be a good idea. Keep a farm league local as opposed to over sea in order to garner interest in it. The arena league is a separate deal, not a farm league at all. In fact, I'd say more players are unsuccessful in the NFL and go down to the arena league than come up into the NFL from there.

Kris P Lettus
04-30-2008, 07:05 AM
Very true.. I like AFL but it's mad different than true NFL style football..

This is going to be a smaller, more reginal NFL.. Can't wait until they announce where the teams will be.. I hope there isn't a single one in a city that already has any type of major league team..

It's supposed to start in 2009, btw..

Stickman
04-30-2008, 01:30 PM
To be honest, I really am surprised there is no feeder league to the NFL. So many players go undrafted or have bad luck or whatever and don't make it to pro (NFL, AFL, CFL) that could be playing somewhere to develop their skills. Some people really do develop later so to play in a farm league makes too much sence.

YOu look at baseball and hockey (maybe basketball) there's so many farm teams out there, it doesn't make sense for football to be different.

Kris P Lettus
04-30-2008, 05:19 PM
I completely agree..

College is the "feeder" for the NFL but it'll be nice to have something liike this at the pro level..

Stickman
05-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Also with this, Football is HUGE in the states so it's not like they'll struggle to find fans. No matter what city teams play out of.