PDA

View Full Version : Scotty 2 Hotty should main event...

Kane Knight
05-11-2008, 11:55 AM
...No, not really, but I've been a fan of Scott Garland (Think that's his last name). Anyone who can put that much effort into such a terrible gimmick, a dead end one at that, and perform it with pretty much no hope for advancement is aces.

Of course, the fact that he's not with WWE doesn't help, but I really would like to see him repackaged as someone NOT Scotty 2 Hotty and given a decent midcard run. I hold no false hopes that he'll ever main event, nor should he. But if he can put so much into it with that albatross of a gimmick, I'd like to see what he could do with more. It'd be fun to see him as someone's sidekick, for that matter. Cena or Paul Burchill from his pirate days--Something where he doesn't have to be completely serious.

Anyway, as a tongue in cheek gesture, I created a fanclub for the greatness of S2H. :D

http://tpww.net/forums/group.php?groupid=22

NeanderCarl
05-11-2008, 12:30 PM
I was a big fan of Too Much, before they decided to gay it up.

Anybody Thrilla
05-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Too Much was amazing.

Hanso Amore
05-11-2008, 01:22 PM
They used the Vegitizer.

I like any team who uses it. Anyone.

Even the Dicks.

NeanderCarl
05-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Vegitizer? Sounds like a disgusting soft drink.

Loose Cannon
05-11-2008, 01:49 PM
yea, Too Much was incredible

Afterlife
05-11-2008, 02:21 PM
I thought the release of S2H was unbelievably despicable. The man came back from fucking cancer and continued to work. You don't fire a guy like that.

Anybody Thrilla
05-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Sadly, beating cancer doesn't put asses in seats.

Afterlife
05-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Oh, great point. :roll:

Anybody Thrilla
05-11-2008, 02:50 PM
I'm just giving the WWE perspective here. I agree it was a shitty thing of them to do.

Afterlife
05-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Yeah, except you can't blame a jobber for not being a draw. That doesn't make sense. Had they given him the opportunity he fucking earned and deserved, then maybe that currently hollow theory of "asses in seats" might apply.

NeanderCarl
05-11-2008, 02:57 PM
Scotty never had cancer?

NeanderCarl
05-11-2008, 02:58 PM
He had neck surgery.

Anybody Thrilla
05-11-2008, 03:01 PM
Yeah, except you can't blame a jobber for not being a draw. That doesn't make sense. Had they given him the opportunity he fucking earned and deserved, then maybe that currently hollow theory of "asses in seats" might apply.

Settle down. I agree with you.

Afterlife
05-11-2008, 03:02 PM
He had neck surgery.

Years before the three months he took off to get the cancer cut out, yes, he had neck surgery.

Afterlife
05-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Settle down. I agree with you.

I'm sorry. It's just one of those cases that honestly enrages me.

Anybody Thrilla
05-11-2008, 03:09 PM
I do think it's pretty cool that Scotty 2 Hotty posts at TPWW under the name Afterlife, though. ;)

Afterlife
05-11-2008, 03:12 PM
In fact, some might say it's....

Too Cool.

NeanderCarl
05-11-2008, 03:20 PM
So, WWE should have kept a guy on the roster who was years past his prime (2000), hadn't been over as a wrestler (yeah I know his entrance and the Worm still got nice pops) in a long time and was chronically plagued by injuries??

It's a business, not a charity. I'd have been ALL for a Scott Taylor solo push, from 1998 through to 2001. But the sad truth is when he got neck surgery the first time, he came back a different guy and it showed. Doesn't mean put him out to pasture, no... but he got another 6 years of employment out of them, so he didn't have it all bad.

The One
05-11-2008, 03:23 PM
Scotty/Dean Malenko was probably my favorite "throw away" feud of 2000.

But generally speaking, I think he's very underrated. He knows how to work a match and he's got a lot of charisma. I mean shit, he made Too Cool work.

Afterlife
05-11-2008, 03:23 PM
Another interesting theory.

Anybody Thrilla
05-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Scotty/Dean Malenko was probably my favorite "throw away" feud of 2000.

But generally speaking, I think he's very underrated. He knows how to work a match and he's got a lot of charisma. I mean shit, he made Too Cool work.

That match they had at Backlash was titties. :y:

NeanderCarl
05-11-2008, 03:28 PM
I always remember that match. For me it stole the show, and there was a Rock-HHH main event! Great, great match and the best match I ever saw Scotty have.

Kane Knight
05-11-2008, 07:26 PM
Sadly, beating cancer doesn't put asses in seats.

It could. Imagine that feud.

Theo Dious
05-11-2008, 08:49 PM
...No, not really, but I've been a fan of Scott Garland (Think that's his last name). Anyone who can put that much effort into such a terrible gimmick, a dead end one at that, and perform it with pretty much no hope for advancement is aces.

I do have to agree with this. As much as I never really cared too much for Too Much, Too Cool, or even Too Cool plus Rikishi Phat-ass, I could never go so far as to actually dislike them. All three of them had a wierd passion for their crappy little gimmick that actually made them fun to watch.

Anyways, Scotty could have a decent run if he did the whole "fed up with entertaining your asses" heel turn. Like Helms was doing before he fucked himself up. Hell, those two and Little-Lawler could form a stable around it, if Mr. Sexay is sober these days. "Hi, we're the guys who used to act all goofy for your entertainment, and it didn't get us anywhere, so fuck you." They could call themselves Fed Up. Put them on EC-Smackdown, give Helms a US Title feud with Matt Hardy, give Too-Whatever the tag titles and have them feud with... does it really matter on Smackdown? Anyways, yeah, I'd watch that and be entertained.

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
05-11-2008, 08:59 PM
I'd like to see Scotty brought back and repackaged as an unstoppable monster with tattoos and face paint, and a taped up cock that he jabs into his opponent's throat as a finisher.

Bad Company
05-11-2008, 09:20 PM
2 much ruled
GRAND MASTA SEXAY

Kane Knight
05-11-2008, 09:40 PM
I do have to agree with this. As much as I never really cared too much for Too Much, Too Cool, or even Too Cool plus Rikishi Phat-ass, I could never go so far as to actually dislike them. All three of them had a wierd passion for their crappy little gimmick that actually made them fun to watch.

yeah, that's kind of where I'm coming from.

There was an Al Franken bit in one of his books where the question was who he'd pick between a trained athlete or an untrained one who did just as well. He was talking about Affirmative Action, but I think his point applies here. The answer he gave was that the untrained athlete could be trained to become even better.

In a roundabout way, that's what I'm thinking of. Except I'm thinking if Scotty can put that much effort into a shitty gimmick and make it enjoyable, even remotely so, imagine what he could do otherwise. I've never been a fan of the gimmick, but I always appreciated what those guys did with it. I mean, when you're pretty much guaranteed to be a jobber on Heat/Velociraptor and you still put that effort into things....

Dorkchop
05-11-2008, 11:11 PM
I really liked Too Cool. They were so damn ridiculous, but unlike John Cena, WWE didn't try to make their wannabe gimmicks "real". Scotty wasn't an amazing worker, but he was pretty consistent and over with the crowd being a jobber with a ridiculous gimmick. If WWE liked smaller guys he could have been pretty entertaining with a few feuds and some mic time. I just don't like it when guys never have storylines. WWE is bad for that with people who aren't being booked like Superman.

addy2hotty
05-12-2008, 01:40 PM
I loved Too Cool. That began in some tag team battle royal where they danced in front of The APA as they came to the ring and made dancing gestures at them.

Some main eventers now aren't as over as they were.

They also outpopped The Rock and Mick Foley one night.

What Would Kevin Do?
05-12-2008, 02:00 PM
You know, I could see him making a few appearances in RoH w/ the Age of the Fall. He could play a bit of the disillusioned wrestler pissed that he was dropped after years of hard word... It might not be the greatest gimmick, but it'd give him something different to do, and allow him to showcase his ability for a bit.

On a total sidenote, I love what I've seen of Joey Mathews in RoH. He plays a calculating heel real well.

Afterlife
05-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Honestly, the last few years of his run, he was pretty well toned down. In terms of gimmick, I mean. He didn't do the copious ammounts of dance and he didn't dress like a kid'n'play cartoon. It was his attitude and his style that made him consistant and charismatic, and they could have slowly converted him into anything they wanted. Granted, they could never have beaten his music -- that was the shit -- but few people have managed to do that.

Kane Knight
05-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Honestly, the last few years of his run, he was pretty well toned down. In terms of gimmick, I mean. He didn't do the copious ammounts of dance and he didn't dress like a kid'n'play cartoon. It was his attitude and his style that made him consistant and charismatic, and they could have slowly converted him into anything they wanted. Granted, they could never have beaten his music -- that was the shit -- but few people have managed to do that.

Of course, the direction they chose was "dancing bear."

The kids loved him, and he got rather large pops just for the "fun" value. Of course, with no merchandise to speak of and no real chance of him drawing anyone, that all seems kinda pointless.

I don't know. There's a decent chance that it would have gone nowhere if they HAD put him into a different scenario, but if they're willing to repackage Batista as a Deacon, Burchill as a dude who fucks his sister, Snitsky as someone who isn't a complete joke, or Shannon Moore as a dude (Come on, you all knew a pun was coming), then why not try it? What do they lose? Hell, they even repackaged Val Venis. It didn't work, he came back later as Val again. No harm, no foul.

Afterlife
05-13-2008, 02:28 AM
Absolutely. You can't berate a man who did exactly as he was told and gave it his all.

And to people who say "the crowd cheered the Worm," you're simply ignorant. The guy represented what was left of the showmanship of the Attitude Era, so yes, there was a nostalgiafactor while he was there. But the crowd was also connected to a remarkably charismatic man -- remarkable, because he was rarely given mic time -- and they were pulling for him, regardless of his status as glorified jobber.

NeanderCarl
05-13-2008, 06:12 PM
Umm... they just liked him because he was fun. Everyone in the arena could take it or leave it.

Afterlife
05-13-2008, 09:42 PM
That is astoundingly useless input.

NeanderCarl
05-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Well, why read so much into it? You're all talking about "remarkable charisma", "nostalgia", "passion", alchemy... we're talking about Scotty 2 Hotty, for fuck's sake. A fun little interlude between the matches that actually mattered.

Mr. Nerfect
05-14-2008, 06:34 AM
I liked Scotty 2 Hotty. Not during my mark days, but during my smark days, when I could appreciate how hard the guy worked, and how impressive it was that he knew how to work a crowd.

I would not be opposed to Scotty returning as a mid-card heel, or at least working somewhere. The man would make a fine producer. He really should have been one of those "lifers" you hear about.

The Mackem
05-14-2008, 06:45 AM
Favourite Scotty memory, big pop for the worm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kCpBG7YM54&feature=related

Gertner
05-17-2008, 11:42 AM
fav memory was scotty vs dean while saturn was doing his moppy gimmick and saturn jumped into the ring and tried to do the worm on malenko.