PDA

View Full Version : Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts

Kalyx triaD
05-13-2008, 11:47 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3hJfTQ2dBZA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3hJfTQ2dBZA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Few videogames bring a smile to my face like Banjo Kazooie. I remember it as one of the greatest 3D platformers ever, second only to you-know-who. But c'mon; way back when you have to admit banjo was technically superior to Mario 64, even if it did rip 80% of the engine. I didn't complain as I combed each hub world for every single note I could find. I lived that damn game.

Now Banjo and his bird-friend returns in what could only be the closest example of a Nintendo-style game backed by a powerful console. And it looks grrrreat.

Incase you haven't noticed (probably because you're checking out those lush landscapes you just know can be explored up and down), the game has a strong vehicle gimmick that's based around what you can build with what you can find. The recent Jak series bought vehicles to the platform world, but it seems Banjo will take it a step further. And the creation system is deeper than you may be thinking, as physics play into what you create. You'll use these creations of yours to solve puzzles and tasks, as well as races and the like.

Yep, you can take your marvel of junk online against other marvels of junk in yet-to-be revealed modes (I'm thinking race and battle).

Glad to see after years of what-the-heck, Rare is returning to form and making that shift to Microsoft mean something.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HVv-XHShlIQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HVv-XHShlIQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

V
05-19-2008, 07:06 AM
fucking fuck fuckf uckf ukc fuck

this should be on nintendo

seems like a huge emphasis on vehicles... not really banjo-kazooie style. well unless you're playing diddy kong racing. that's extremely dissapointing. if it was a true platforming sequel to the game maybe i'd buy it and play it on my friend's ex-box.

edit: a mario style thing in that first vid? lawsuit?

Extreme Angle
05-19-2008, 07:23 AM
Gohan3k... haven't seen your name on here in many a year.

Yeah the game looks good,not sure whether to buy it yet though...

Kalyx triaD
07-09-2008, 02:41 PM
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/886/886432/banjo-kazooie-nuts-bolts-20080708033218203.jpg

Can Rare... have an N64 modeled in a 360 game? Kinda surreal.

Tornado
07-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Can Rare... have an N64 modeled in a 360 game? Kinda surreal.

Rare can do whatever they please.

Really looking forward to this, was a huge fan on the N64 games.

Kalyx triaD
07-14-2008, 03:48 PM
Back in Time:

At its E3 press conference, Microsoft announced that Rare's original Banjo platformer will be released this year for the Xbox Live Arcade. The game will feature slightly upgraded visuals and the long awaited "stop and swap" functionality originally promised at its release more than 10 years ago.

Many will remember that the first Banjo-Kazooie game promised to interact with Banjo-Tooie. That didn't pan out, but that feature will finally be realized on Xbox 360. By finding specific items in Banjo-Kazooie on Xbox Live Arcade, you will be able to unlock things in Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts.

Drakul
10-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Pre-ordered it yesterday. Pre-ordering the game gets you a code to download the original Banjo & Kazooie for free. The offer is in the UK and the US but I'm not sure about Canada or other areas.

If you look at the first video, he blows marios head off. I'll be something happens to that N64 to destroy it to.

Also, the game has been described as GTA Lego because of the emphasis on cars, planes and seacraft. Apparantly you'll even get chased by crooked cops and be able to steal other cars. *Highlight to read, I blacked it out just to be safe*

Kalyx triaD
10-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Gotta get down on that when the 360 returns.

Drakul
10-22-2008, 02:42 PM
Something to back up my "Banjo has been described as GTA Lego" claim.

http://kotaku.com/5060400/banjo-kazooie-nuts--bolts-is-starting-to-sound-more-like-lego-grand-theft-auto

Team Sheep
10-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Gutted this won't be on PS3 :(

Drakul
10-30-2008, 05:22 AM
I downloaded the demo for Nuts & Bolts this morning and played it for about 2 hours. Very enjoyable.
I found out why the vehicles play a big part. Showdown Town is bigger than you would expect and BanjoLand, some kind of museum dedicated to the old Banjo games, is huge. It makes me wonder just how big the later areas will be. I don't know if Showdown Town and BanjoLand are the only two levels available in the demo but it seems that way. The levels are also very pretty.

Controls are simple and easy to get used to but attack seems limited to just the X button for a spin attack. I couldn't jump onto an enemy Mario-Style or anything. Using the left trigger on foot lets you pick up pretty much anything with Kazooies new wand. I'm assuming you'll actually be able to some how throw items around with it but you might have to learn that as some kind of skill. In a car, it's the usual control set up. Right trigger accelerates and Left Trigger reverses. Y gets you in and out of the vehicle and B lets you work on it, if it gets damaged.
if you lose your vehicle somehow, you can hold down Y and it will be warped to you. Parts of the vehciles can be knocked off if they get hit hard enough or take too much damage with damaged parts glowing yellow at first and then red when they are critically damaged.

The part I spent most of my time in has to be the garage. I loved making vehicles with the limited options I had at the start of the demo so I can't wait for the full game to see what I can throw togethor with the 100 or so different peices there is to find. The only limits I found where physics. I made a massive tower of ten boxes with one single wheel on the bottom, Banjo sitting on the top and an engine and fual container on each side. When I tried it out it kept falling over (a toppled car can be set back up right with a press of the Right Button/Bumper). This happened a lot when I tried out different styles and sizes but it wasn't frustrating. To be honest, I just liked finding out if something worked and what didn't.
Different peices have multple uses to. When I made my first proper car, which I named "The Banjo Buggy", I added 2 floats to either side and a propellor horizontally to the back. When I drove into deep water, it acted like a boat propellor but when I took it off and placed it on the top vertically my car was able to fly. I thought the garage would just be a case of tossing random bricks in and it being like any other vehicle but I was wrong.
Plus you can show off your cars and such on Xbox Live. I think it will just be blue prints of your vehicle you send each other and not the actual vehicle but you'll still have a blue print to fill in and change the paint work on.

Finally, the music is great. Sounds like it's right out of an animated movie. My only problem was the text. This seems to be a problem with a few games I play on the 360. The ingame text is too small even on my large standard TV so it takes longer to read which is annoying when you have to read the text quickly before it automatically scrolls onto the next piece of text. Luckily text outside the cutscenes is still a case of "Press A to continue" so you can read it all. What really bugged me about the text in this and other 360 games is the important stuff like ingame text is too small yet hints and tips on loading screens is large. Couldn't they have found a happy medium?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the game and the demo didn't disappoint.

Kalyx triaD
10-30-2008, 02:50 PM
For some reason it takes ages to download anything on our connection. But from what I hear it sounds great. But really, they had me at "Banjo's back".

#BROKEN Hasney
10-30-2008, 04:23 PM
For some reason it takes ages to download anything on our connection. But from what I hear it sounds great. But really, they had me at "Banjo's back".

They didn't me due to Grabbed by the Ghoulies and Perfect Dark Zero, I don't count Conker on XBox as it was the same fucking game.

Drakul
10-31-2008, 12:39 AM
I'm playing the demo again and I noticed an easter egg already. Well, I say easter egg but I'm not sure what you'd call it.

In BanjoLand, there is a ship called "The Rust Bucket" and under the name it has "Twycross". Twycross is where RARE is based.
Would that count as an easter egg?

Boomer
10-31-2008, 01:38 AM
The senior editor for Gametrailers called this a "glorified racing game", so I don't really know what to think about it. Maybe if the racing was one part of the bigger game, I'd be alright with it (as I am with sub-par Ratchet and Clank/Jak and Daxter/Spyro racing games), but I expect a full Banjo game unless it has the word racing tacked at the end.

Kalyx triaD
10-31-2008, 01:59 AM
We'll see.

#BROKEN Hasney
11-06-2008, 03:50 PM
I've got it, great game so far.

Took it down a friends to play a bit and the game is fucking unplayable on an SD, the text is worse than Dead Risings....

The Destroyer
11-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Yeah, I had to give the demo a miss entirely, I could barely read any of the text. :-\

Considering how often I'm able to get anywhere near the HD TV in my house, I'll probably have to give it a miss.

darkpower
11-07-2008, 03:21 AM
The release will have a bittersweet thing to it.

Probably will be a good game, but I do think that everyone, before popping this into the 360 and firing up, to have a moment of silence in the memory of slain developer Melissa Batten (the girl that was the victim of a murder-suicide earlier this year). This was the last game she had a hand in, sadly, before that happened (VERY creepily close to exactly a year after the Chris Benoit shit went down). For some reason, the game, to me, seems to tie into the memory of the girl. Just hoping people realize that and take a moment to do that.

Tornado
11-07-2008, 04:43 AM
I'll be getting it on release next Friday, i've pre-ordered it so i'm being e-mailed a code to download the original Banjo-Kazooie from XBLA. I have high hopes for this, and Banjo-Kazooie was my favourite game on the N64, and I can wait to finally use the Stop -n-Swop tht they're putting in.

Drakul
11-07-2008, 07:32 AM
I'll be getting it on release next Friday, i've pre-ordered it so i'm being e-mailed a code to download the original Banjo-Kazooie from XBLA. I have high hopes for this, and Banjo-Kazooie was my favourite game on the N64, and I can wait to finally use the Stop -n-Swop tht they're putting in.

Where did you pre-order it? The GAME website has the offer and so does Gamestations site and the Gamestation shops but when I preordered in an actual GAME shop they said they hadn't heard of the offer. If the site was offering it, I'll get it through the shop to, right?

The release will have a bittersweet thing to it.

Probably will be a good game, but I do think that everyone, before popping this into the 360 and firing up, to have a moment of silence in the memory of slain developer Melissa Batten (the girl that was the victim of a murder-suicide earlier this year). This was the last game she had a hand in, sadly, before that happened (VERY creepily close to exactly a year after the Chris Benoit shit went down). For some reason, the game, to me, seems to tie into the memory of the girl. Just hoping people realize that and take a moment to do that.

I'm not sure if many people know about it. Would it be unlikely that they might put in some kind of tribute in the end credits or maybe a picture hidden somewhere in the game? I'm sure Max Payne 2 had some kind of hidden alter you could find and I think it was dedicated to someone I assume worked on the game.

I've got it, great game so far.

Took it down a friends to play a bit and the game is fucking unplayable on an SD, the text is worse than Dead Risings....
I know, that's something I'm not looking forward to when I pick up the game. Why do they insist on doing text so small? Surely it wouldn't be too much for some kind of "Text Size" button in the options. It's such a simple solution and yet one we'll never get.

#BROKEN Hasney
11-08-2008, 05:44 AM
Good to know Rare are still tools as well, just got this on a loading screen tip:

"Been playing a while but still don't enjoy the vehicle based gameplay? Well you should buy Banjo-Kazooie on XBLA instead!".

Yeah, fuck you, Rare.

Also the game gets old and boring real fast. I'm about a quarter through and I doubt I'll play it again. The only reason I thought it was great was the funny cheap shots at Nintendo and themselves, but the gameplay drags after driving and driving etc.

#BROKEN Hasney
11-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Right, time to back up my comments somewhat because I did play it again and found myself enjoying it.

Other than the first 30 seconds of the game, do not approach this as a Banjo game. I hate those 30 seconds in retrospect, because they are hilarious, and a Banjo-Kazooie game and then it throws you into the real game of driving and building, which is kind of a shock.

You won't be out of your vehicle much, there is no platforming and that's a let-down. Like I said above, the advise you to play the original Banjo-Kazooie if that's what you want to do.

It's fun though, it's a racing game but it does things a lot differently. It's not a kiddy GTA whatsoever, more like a NFS Carbon cartoon but some of the stuff is really inventive and shows some old Rare creativity.

The things that were pissing me off though. When I collect some jigsaw pieces, why to I then have to extract them and move them somewhere else? Why do I have to move a game ball to open other worlds? It's bullshit and wastes time that you could be spent on the enjoyable parts. Oh and why am I limited in the level select world to only driving a slow-ass trolly? The worlds huge, I should be able to zip through it with a better vehicle :(

Vehicle building got old after a while, but you can always buy blueprints thank god. I know some people love this and the blueprint purchasing is a good compromise for those that don't want to tinker.

The funny goes south a little after the opener too, but you can ask the tourist information (run by Bottles the Mole) pointless questions, such as "Have you heard about KI3?" I'll leave that for you to get the answer in game :)

Overall, if you're in Europe, wait until the price comes down before buying it but apparently, you Americans are getting it at a budget price to appeal to kids from what I've read. If that is the case, go for it :)

Drakul
11-09-2008, 03:00 AM
Gonna cancel my pre-oreder. Looking at my budget and already having bought Fable II and getting Mirrors Edge later this month, I can't afford another game financially or time-wise so one had to be cut.
I thought about the tiny text,the minimal platforming and the fact I'll probably barely touch it with my other games around and decided to cut that and get Mirrors Edge. I'll just buy the original BK later.

why am I limited in the level select world to only driving a slow-ass trolly? The worlds huge, I should be able to zip through it with a better vehicle:(

Probably because the NPCs are only going to leap out the way so fast so if you go too fast you'll hit everyone and I'm sure they'll try and stop the player doing that. Plus you need to carry a lot of stuff back to Mumbo or the town square.

.44 Magdalene
11-09-2008, 03:14 AM
Word from Microsoft PR:

"It has come to our attention that people are experiencing subtitle readability issues with Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts on Standard Definition TVs. We would like to assure you that contrary to earlier reports, we are aware of the issue and currently working on a title update to be released within the next 30 days that will fix it for those with Standard Definition TVs. We're committed to ensuring all fans of the franchise are able to have the best experience possible with Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts."

I got it from IGN and Rare Witch Project.

#BROKEN Hasney
11-09-2008, 03:16 AM
In other words, Rare didn't give a shit, but MS does... That's a turn-up for the books.

Drakul
11-09-2008, 08:10 AM
"It has come to our attention that people are experiencing subtitle readability issues with Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts on Standard Definition TVs. We would like to assure you that contrary to earlier reports, we are aware of the issue and currently working on a title update to be released within the next 30 days that will fix it for those with Standard Definition TVs. We're committed to ensuring all fans of the franchise are able to have the best experience possible with Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts."

By "title update" do they mean a download or an update on the actual disc when they ship out the next batch of them to shops?
If it's on the actual disc, then it gives me another reason to wait a while. Glad somethings being done about it though :y:

#BROKEN Hasney
11-09-2008, 08:22 AM
Title update = downloadable patch