PDA

View Full Version : I don't get it

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-16-2004, 10:26 AM
"Benoit can't cut a promo" okay sure, he's not the best on the mic but I'm paying attention to what he says. Since when is HHH awe-inspiring on the mic? The crowd falls asleep for him as much as they do anyone else, so shutup with the "Benoit has no mic skills" excuse already.

Hired Hitman
03-16-2004, 10:28 AM
Triple H has a good intimidating voice.

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-16-2004, 10:29 AM
Yeah, I'm afraid to hear him speak so I either a) fall asleep or b) change the channel.

Rock Bottom
03-16-2004, 10:31 AM
Bret Hart wasn't exactly the best promo-cutter of all times either. Compare Benoit to him, it's not hard to do. Benoit will do fine.

Kane Knight
03-16-2004, 10:48 AM
He does? :?:

Kane Knight
03-16-2004, 10:50 AM
Isn't it funny how half the people who talk about this shit (Like Benoit being unable to cut a promo) are also Jeff Hardy fans or the like?

The Dub
03-16-2004, 11:00 AM
Isn't it funny how half the people who talk about this shit (Like Benoit being unable to cut a promo) are also Jeff Hardy fans or the like?
What's wrong with being a Jeff Hardy fan? What's your point?

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-16-2004, 11:28 AM

a) He cannot cut a promo

b) He is a horrible worker

The Dub
03-16-2004, 11:38 AM
a) He cannot cut a promo

b) He is a horrible worker
You say that he is a horrible worker, yet you probably marked out when he did a lot of his crazy spots. I don't think his work was bad. Not everyone can work like Benoit and Guerrero, but you can't really compare Hardy to those guys because of differing styles. Matt isn't much better as far as workrate goes.

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-16-2004, 11:41 AM
You say that he is a horrible worker, yet you probably marked out when he did a lot of his crazy spots. I don't think his work was bad. Not everyone can work like Benoit and Guerrero, but you can't really compare Hardy to those guys because of differing styles. Matt isn't much better as far as workrate goes.

However, I can compare Jeff to other cruiserweights such as Mysterio, Noble, Helms, Dragon and tons of others throughout the world, and I can tell you they are 125534324x better. Sure I marked out for him diving off of a ladder a few times, but I marked out more for better shit in those TLC matches.

The Dub
03-16-2004, 11:44 AM
However, I can compare Jeff to other cruiserweights such as Mysterio, Noble, Helms, Dragon and tons of others throughout the world, and I can tell you they are 125534324x better. Sure I marked out for him diving off of a ladder a few times, but I marked out more for better shit in those TLC matches.
Jeff doesn't have experience wrestling cruiserweights, at least not as much as the cruiserweights you've mentioned. Those guys mostly wrestle other cruiserweights. Jeff had to wrestle bigger guys most of his career.

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-16-2004, 11:47 AM
And he still sucked

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-16-2004, 11:48 AM
Whenever he came out to the ring against said bigger guys, he threw horrible punches, fly around like a prissy little boy and get beaten up, wow...that's entertainment :|

Vega
03-16-2004, 01:01 PM
Benoit has gotten better on the mic recently, he's not that bad anymore.

Lamuella
03-16-2004, 01:04 PM
also, Mat Hardy is about ten times better than Jeff. Matt is gold on the mic and works a bloody good match

In my mind he never jumped to RAW and he's still in the US title hunt.

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-16-2004, 01:09 PM
Hey Lamuella, get on MSN :rant:

The Show Off
03-16-2004, 03:23 PM
Benoit has good enough mic work to be the World Heavyweight Champion. However, he doesn't have good enough mic work to be up there with the greatest wrestlers of all time. In the period of time that I've been watching wrestling thwere have been about 10 guys that are what I would call upper teir sports entertainers:

Ric Flair
Sting
Hulk Hogan
Randy Savage
Harley Race
Shawn Michaels
Bret Hart
Steve Austin
The Rock
Kurt Angle

All of these wrestlers could cut a mean promo. And that's why they were (and in Angle's case still is) the greats. Sure Chris Benoit could wrestle a better match then half of these guys but he can't cut a promo like them, which will keep him out of this top area. The only person on the list that he might have better mic work then is Sting, however Sting has a natural charisma that is only parallelled by Hulk Hogan. Those two didn't need to open there mouth and you still rooted for them. Benoit will never be mistaken for having that natural chrisma, and he can't cut killer promos. This is not to say he doesn't deserve the belt, cause he does. Also I'd say he is one of the better champions the WWE have ever had, but just not among the greats,

By the way, I really enjoy Triple H's promos he plays a great character. And even the Rock's promo's got dull after awhile. If you listen to his promo's back when he was in DX he was gold on the mic,

And I liked Jeff Hardy just because he was a crazy son of a bitch that would jump off of high places, would I say that he's better the Benoit or even his brother Matt, hell no. But sometimes it's nice to have a suicidal guy that will do anything you say...

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-16-2004, 03:26 PM
Oh, so Mick Foley?

The Show Off
03-16-2004, 03:27 PM
Oh, so Mick Foley?

What about him?

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-16-2004, 03:29 PM
The suicidal guy who'll do anything you say. See, all Hardy was, was a Mick foley who could do a flip, but couldn't wrestle nor cut a promo. Mick could do all those things, take huge bumps every night and last wayyyyyyyy longer than Hardy. Thusly, Hardy sucks.

The Show Off
03-16-2004, 03:38 PM
The suicidal guy who'll do anything you say. See, all Hardy was, was a Mick foley who could do a flip, but couldn't wrestle nor cut a promo. Mick could do all those things, take huge bumps every night and last wayyyyyyyy longer than Hardy. Thusly, Hardy sucks.

Okay I was just asking. Cause I didn't know if you meant Mic Foley in the suicidal sence, or you were wondering why I didn't put him among the greatest champions of all time. If your trying to convince me that we're better off having Foley rather than Jeff Hardy, then your preaching to the choir man. Jeff on his best day couldn't pull off a story line like Mick. It's just I don't think Mick will be falling off cages or getting nailed with barbed wire anymore. In conclusion...

Foley > Jeff Hardy

Loose Cannon
03-16-2004, 03:40 PM
Benoit has good enough mic work to be the World Heavyweight Champion. However, he doesn't have good enough mic work to be up there with the greatest wrestlers of all time. In the period of time that I've been watching wrestling thwere have been about 10 guys that are what I would call upper teir sports entertainers:

Ric Flair
Sting
Hulk Hogan
Randy Savage
Harley Race
Shawn Michaels
Bret Hart
Steve Austin
The Rock
Kurt Angle

All of these wrestlers could cut a mean promo. And that's why they were (and in Angle's case still is) the greats. Sure Chris Benoit could wrestle a better match then half of these guys but he can't cut a promo like them, which will keep him out of this top area. The only person on the list that he might have better mic work then is Sting, however Sting has a natural charisma that is only parallelled by Hulk Hogan. Those two didn't need to open there mouth and you still rooted for them. Benoit will never be mistaken for having that natural chrisma, and he can't cut killer promos. This is not to say he doesn't deserve the belt, cause he does. Also I'd say he is one of the better champions the WWE have ever had, but just not among the greats,

By the way, I really enjoy Triple H's promos he plays a great character. And even the Rock's promo's got dull after awhile. If you listen to his promo's back when he was in DX he was gold on the mic,

And I liked Jeff Hardy just because he was a crazy son of a bitch that would jump off of high places, would I say that he's better the Benoit or even his brother Matt, hell no. But sometimes it's nice to have a suicidal guy that will do anything you say...

And you know who Austin learned how to cut a promo from? The Man, Brian Pillman.

Rock Bottom
03-16-2004, 03:41 PM
Neither will Jeff. He will be starting up a boy band called "Hardy Boyz 2 Men" while doing insane amounts of LSD.

The Show Off
03-16-2004, 03:46 PM
And you know who Austin learned how to cut a promo from? The Man, Brian Pillman.

Hollywood Blondes are just about my favorite tag team of all time.

Kane Knight
03-16-2004, 04:02 PM
The guy can't cut a promo for shit.

I mean, with all these people bitching, you'd think they wouldn't bitch about something their favorite guys can't do themselves. That's like a Hogan fan complaining about Triple H using steroid...

Kane Knight
03-16-2004, 04:04 PM
Wow. He did crazy spots.

And then he'd make us fall asleep in between when he tried to actually "wrestle."

FFD
03-16-2004, 04:05 PM
Compared to some of the other talent, he is a god on the mic.

Kane Knight
03-16-2004, 04:05 PM
Jeff doesn't have experience wrestling cruiserweights, at least not as much as the cruiserweights you've mentioned. Those guys mostly wrestle other cruiserweights. Jeff had to wrestle bigger guys most of his career.
Jeff doesn't wrestle. He falls from high places. A quadraplegic could do the same thing...All he'd need is a push and a deathwish. Jeff's wrestling style isn't exciting. Someone like Rey Mysterio is.

Kane Knight
03-16-2004, 04:21 PM
Okay I was just asking. Cause I didn't know if you meant Mic Foley in the suicidal sence, or you were wondering why I didn't put him among the greatest champions of all time. If your trying to convince me that we're better off having Foley rather than Jeff Hardy, then your preaching to the choir man. Jeff on his best day couldn't pull off a story line like Mick. It's just I don't think Mick will be falling off cages or getting nailed with barbed wire anymore. In conclusion...

Foley > Jeff Hardy
Unfortunately, Foley spawned Jeff Hardy, by creating a "market" and a bloodlust amongst fans to see really sick bumps.

The difference is, Mick could cut promos like a motherfu</>cker and could hold his own in the ring. No, he's no Benoit, but he doesn't have to be.

Corkscrewed
03-16-2004, 04:43 PM
I think this whole "Benoit can't cut a promo" thing is vastly overused. Frankly, if he's given his lines ahead of time and works on them, his promos can actually be good. Granted, he'll probably never be in, say, Kurt Angle's league or The Rock's league, but he's really not horrible. I remember in 2001, his promo skills were actually nice because he was able to get his lines ahead of time. He can't ad lib, of course, but frankly, when you're that good of a wrestle, you don't have to.

Benoit could easily thrive in a Bret Hart type gimmick, acting as a fighting champ.

KillerWolf
03-22-2004, 09:06 PM
Bret Hart wasn't exactly the best promo-cutter of all times either. Compare Benoit to him, it's not hard to do. Benoit will do fine.
Hart could cut a decent promo

SeanMC
03-23-2004, 08:39 PM
Why are these so-called 'wrestling fans' crying over whether a wrestler can cut a promo or not?Just to finish this f'ing debate now, benoit is one of the best wrestlers around today/ a fighting champ which is what weve all been saying wwe should have, now we get these illiterate punks saying benoit doesn't deserve to be champ cos he can't cut a decent promo?Funny...

Kane Knight
03-23-2004, 11:19 PM
Why are these so-called 'wrestling fans' crying over whether a wrestler can cut a promo or not?Just to finish this f'ing debate now, benoit is one of the best wrestlers around today/ a fighting champ which is what weve all been saying wwe should have, now we get these illiterate punks saying benoit doesn't deserve to be champ cos he can't cut a decent promo?Funny...
To state the obvious, this isn't just about wrestling. Hence the phrase "Sports Entertainment." You think Hogan was on top for his wrestling skills? Did Austin make it big for his luchadore maneuvers?

Now, to break the second bit of news: Wrestling isn't the domain of the thespian. It's a trailer park, testosterone-fueled soap opera. It is to high-brow TV what "The Amazing Spider-Man" is to the great American novel.

While I know the expectation is that the internet has suddenly made everyone more intelligent, to be ranting over the literary skills of wrestling fans is pretty pointless.

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-23-2004, 11:26 PM
bah, as a wrestling fan, I've always much rather have seen someone beat the hell out of someone convincingly (ie. Benoit wrestling) than some lamewad (ie. Hogan) cut a promo. Though Hogan was kinda cool when I was 5, HHH right now isn't a worthy champion because he isn't a top notch worker like he used to be, his look has gone to shit and he can not cut a promo. Even if he could, he'd still suck in my eyes, because unless I orgasm over your promos and your voice has some link to my cock, I'd rather watch a good match then a bunch of talk. Managers are for talking, wrestlers are for wrestling.

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-23-2004, 11:28 PM
Though I think promos are useful JUST before a match. Like the interviews right before the ring entrance. The shit's key. However, coming down to the ring only to cut a promo is the most annoying shit to exist.

HHHsucks929
03-23-2004, 11:28 PM
Bret Hart was great at cutting promos. Nowadays Triple H is bland and boring, and I don't even know what the hell he's talking about anymore. Randy Orton and John Cena are great at cutting promos. Cena's great at getting the crowd involved and Randy Orton is one of the best in WWE at getting the fans to hate him. Props to Mick Foley for putting him over. Too bad Undertaker couldn't do the same for Cena.

Jeff Hardy couldn't cut a promo for sh*t, that's why he never got any HUGE pushes. Good to see Matt coming around in the promo department, man does he need to go back to Smackdown!

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-23-2004, 11:32 PM
Cena's are cool because they're usually short and just before a match.

Iceman90
03-23-2004, 11:43 PM

I am-ah, sorry-ah, you are wrong-ah. Triple-ah H-ah is-ah a-ah SHITTY-ah Promo-ah cutter-ah

Hired Hitman
03-23-2004, 11:51 PM
but seriously he has that ...something, when he's yelling/serious/angry sure it may not be the best, but it's good in my opinion.

John la Rock
03-23-2004, 11:55 PM
Triple H is one of the best promo men in the business. His promos tell a good story.

Benoit can only wrestle

BigDaddyCool
03-24-2004, 12:18 AM
DAle, what you don't get could fill the Grand Canyon.

Kane Knight
03-24-2004, 02:40 AM
Cena's are cool because they're usually short and just before a match.
And he's rarely doing otherwise unless it advances a storyline, so at least you don't get a lot of worthless promo time.

HeartBreakMan2k
03-24-2004, 03:05 AM
Just to put my input in on the whole Jeff Hardy issue. Jeff Hardy almost makes me like Sabu. Now I hate watching Sabu so that's saying something. Also, Jeff Hardy is twice as bad as Lita, which again is saying something as I think Lita is horrible.

:cool: @ showcasing my hatred, and how horrible I think 3 workers are, while only trying to crack on one.

SeanMC
03-24-2004, 11:56 AM
To state the obvious, this isn't just about wrestling. Hence the phrase "Sports Entertainment." You think Hogan was on top for his wrestling skills? Did Austin make it big for his luchadore maneuvers?

Now, to break the second bit of news: Wrestling isn't the domain of the thespian. It's a trailer park, testosterone-fueled soap opera. It is to high-brow TV what "The Amazing Spider-Man" is to the great American novel.

While I know the expectation is that the internet has suddenly made everyone more intelligent, to be ranting over the literary skills of wrestling fans is pretty pointless.

I take your point about sports entertainment, but it is not key to what makes you a good wrestler in the business, Benoit is a straight up technical wrestler and is one of the best in the business today and what i can't believe is that people diss him just because he can't cut a decent promo?Well i got news for ya, neither can HHH anymore nor can half the other wrestlers.Plus Benoit hasn't had a deserved push until now worth having promo's in it anyway sot hat might be why hes shit at promos. ATleast he aint like hhh just bragging about how he's the best every single day of the week, honestly HHH's promos bore me to death.They used to be good on some of my old tapes i got when he was feuding with the rock, but recently theyve become very stale.UNless ofcourse you like hearing him say 'Im-ah, am the best-ah wrestler-ah alive-ah Today-ah'..oh yes very intimidating.. :roll:

Kane Knight
03-24-2004, 01:58 PM
I take your point about sports entertainment, but it is not key to what makes you a good wrestler in the business, Benoit is a straight up technical wrestler and is one of the best in the business today and what i can't believe is that people diss him just because he can't cut a decent promo?Well i got news for ya, neither can HHH anymore nor can half the other wrestlers.Plus Benoit hasn't had a deserved push until now worth having promo's in it anyway sot hat might be why hes shit at promos. ATleast he aint like hhh just bragging about how he's the best every single day of the week, honestly HHH's promos bore me to death.They used to be good on some of my old tapes i got when he was feuding with the rock, but recently theyve become very stale.UNless ofcourse you like hearing him say 'Im-ah, am the best-ah wrestler-ah alive-ah Today-ah'..oh yes very intimidating.. :roll:
Triple H is a bad example though. He's there because he has family-derived tenure. The guy's boring on the mic and boring in the ring.

the people who are complaining about Benoit are generally the ones who don't immediately think of wrestling as a priority. Yeah, it seems a little bit odd, but I go back and cite the Hogan era of the WWF, which was almost all about entertainment and had very little to do with sports.

Yes, I'm aware that things have changed, and that solid athletes are now in the ring. There's an important factor here, however, in that there are still a lot of people who have watched wrestling for 20 years. I mean, you can't expect a total turnover in fans. People still cheer Hogan, and they still cheer Austin, even though the guy hasn't had a real wrestling match in quite some time.

Does it make these people right? Well, it's their opinion. Some people are looking for charisma and showmanship. That's the problem with crossing a soap opera with a sport. I've even got a couple of friends who still use size to measure wrestling talent...The bigger the hoss, the better the guy. People will come up with different measure. Personally, I wanna smack my buddy every time he creams himself when the Big Show comes out.

Keep in mind that, while I'm defending the differtent perspectives, I'm not disagreeing. I think Benoit'll be an awesome champion. The guy's in-ring skills are awesome, and he could be a fu</>cking charisma black hole and STILL kick ass. I look for the athelete before the entertainer (though I prefer a mix of both). I'm amazed (totally AMAZED) that people think Triple H is intimidating. I'm amazed that Jeff Hardy fans can complain about a guy sucking on the mic, since Jeff sucks on the mic, in the ring, and in general. I'm amazed that Hogan still gets ANY pop, even a nostalgia one.

The thing is, even in movies (entertainment), people look for different things. Even in sports, people look for different things. Otherwise, it'd be easy to quantify who the best team in any given sport would be by crunching a couple of specific factors. So naturally, when you combine the two, you're not going to get a lot of agreement, since there's little or no agreement in either medium to begin with.

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-24-2004, 08:46 PM
Triple H is one of the best promo men in the business. His promos tell a good story.

Benoit can only wrestle

He can also cut a semi-decent promo. HHH's promos are terrible. Sure he can tell a story, but it's a long boring story that he can't deliver properly. He always tries to have these good lines, but his timing is so off that the fans don't even pop for them.