PDA

View Full Version : So, Cena isn't a face or heel...

Xero
05-16-2008, 01:06 PM
From PWInsider:

To round out the Cena trifecta, Colm Kelly sent this item. ... John Cena appeared on Sky Sports yesterday here in the UK. He plugged Judgment Day, his match with JBL, along with the fact that he believes that he is neither a heel or a face because of the different reaction he receives in different cities and arenas.

So he's not a heel, not a face, and he isn't a tweener in the no real alliances deal, what is he?

Do we need to coin the phrase "Cena Heat"?

BigDaddyCool
05-16-2008, 02:05 PM
Cena is a failed face.

Porcupine
05-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Cena is a failed face.

:y:

NoRoolz
05-16-2008, 03:28 PM
Cena sucks.

IC Champion
05-16-2008, 03:41 PM
Cena is a failed face.

Heros Welcome
05-16-2008, 03:42 PM
Cena sucks.

RottingFreak
05-16-2008, 03:58 PM
Cena is a failed face.

cuz'

Cena sucks.

The Show Off
05-16-2008, 04:48 PM
Cena is a heel that hasn't and will never turn heel.

addy2hotty
05-16-2008, 05:00 PM
I feel ill that he was in my country for any sort of time.

Mooияakeя™
05-16-2008, 08:02 PM
If he would stop being annoying, could actually wrestle and wasn't a complete tool.... Cena may have a future.

Mr. Nerfect
05-16-2008, 08:13 PM
I've said this once, and I will say this again: John Cena will be the next Triple H before he is the next Austin/Rock. The man could be a fantastic top heel.

Kane Knight
05-17-2008, 08:01 AM
From PWInsider:

To round out the Cena trifecta, Colm Kelly sent this item. ... John Cena appeared on Sky Sports yesterday here in the UK. He plugged Judgment Day, his match with JBL, along with the fact that he believes that he is neither a heel or a face because of the different reaction he receives in different cities and arenas.

So he's not a heel, not a face, and he isn't a tweener in the no real alliances deal, what is he?

Do we need to coin the phrase "Cena Heat"?

I wonder if he actually believes this (IE is a moron) or this is the new company line.

If he would stop being annoying, could actually wrestle and wasn't a complete tool.... Cena may have a future.

Well, Cena isn't a complete tool, and CAN wrestle...So...Ummm?

I've said this once, and I will say this again: John Cena will be the next Triple H before he is the next Austin/Rock. The man could be a fantastic top heel.

I wonder if Cena tanks his QH ratings, too. I've heard this claimed, but have no real numbers to back it up.

Anyway, Cena could be a fantastic heel, but he could also be a fantastic face if WWE weren't so goddamn stupid.

Purgatory
05-17-2008, 08:14 AM
I feel ill that he was in my country for any sort of time.

I don't think he made the latest UK tour due to him making another shit movie. I know that that's the 'real' reason, but I found it funiier when I read they didn't want the WWE in the country unless Cena was sent back home.:lol:

Theo Dious
05-17-2008, 08:35 AM
Well, Cena isn't a complete tool, and CAN wrestle...So...Ummm?

Yeah, basically he needs to stop acting like a complete tool, and start wrestling. Both of which are reasonable possible. I have to say though that the longer he keeps riding this "it's okay 'cause I just get a mixed reaction" thing, the more damage it's going to do him in the long run.

Kane Knight
05-17-2008, 08:52 AM
Yeah, basically he needs to stop acting like a complete tool, and start wrestling. Both of which are reasonable possible. I have to say though that the longer he keeps riding this "it's okay 'cause I just get a mixed reaction" thing, the more damage it's going to do him in the long run.

Yeah, these are not unreasonable changes in Cena's character. The "mixed reaction" is ridiculous when talking about the top babyface and the franchise around which the company is built.

Fox
05-17-2008, 06:39 PM
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

Cena is the water, Vince is leading and we are the horse. We didn't drink, so Vince McMahon grabbed us around the neck and drowned us in the water. Now we are all dead.

That is why Cena sucks.

Mr. JL
05-17-2008, 06:47 PM
lol

CSL
05-17-2008, 06:50 PM
:roll:

Cena is a face, no 2 ways about it

thedamndest
05-17-2008, 06:53 PM
Apparently Cena didn't watch the WWF when Rocky Maiva was around.

Vastardikai
05-17-2008, 07:09 PM
Apparently the WWE Writing Staff didn't watch the WWF when Rocky Maiva was around.

thedamndest
05-17-2008, 07:10 PM
It probably is confusing for them, what with him calling himself Dwayne Johnson now.

Kane Knight
05-17-2008, 07:11 PM
:roll:

Cena is a face, no 2 ways about it

Yeah. Acknowledging that people boo him doesn't make him not a face. It just means he's a shitty face and they know it.

Afterlife
05-18-2008, 06:03 AM
This situation is, honestly, one of the most coinfusing things I've seen from this company. I just don't fucking get it.

El Fangel
05-18-2008, 06:09 AM
This situation is, honestly, one of the most coinfusing things I've seen from this company. I just don't fucking get it.

People have been saying that for 10 years, your not the first, your wont be the last.

Afterlife
05-18-2008, 06:15 AM
I know. But, as a showman myself, I find it specially baffling. I"ve racked my brain as to why they've continued bulldozing him thru the unaccepting audience, and I simply come up zirro.

El Fangel
05-18-2008, 06:16 AM
Stop thinking about it, just live with it, the rest of us have learned that.

CSL
05-18-2008, 06:32 AM
I know. But, as a showman myself, I find it specially baffling. I"ve racked my brain as to why they've continued bulldozing him thru the unaccepting audience, and I simply come up zirro.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ci_6CQ5R558&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ci_6CQ5R558&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Comprende?

Mr. Nerfect
05-18-2008, 06:34 AM
I wonder if Cena tanks his QH ratings, too. I've heard this claimed, but have no real numbers to back it up.

Anyway, Cena could be a fantastic heel, but he could also be a fantastic face if WWE weren't so goddamn stupid.

Well, I know PPV buys aren't up with Cena. I'm not sure of the official numbers, but like you, I've read that he doesn't draw any ratings. It seems he is all shitty merchandise.

Cena could, theoretically, be a great top face, I guess, but I don't think that can happen until a heel turn. Give him a few years as a "bad guy" and then do a reasonable turn back (keeping some rough edges to his character), and boom.

I don't think there is any way to take Cena as he is now, and ease him directly into being accepted by the audience.

Kane Knight
05-18-2008, 07:11 AM

It's simple: Company makes bad choice. Company would rather be right than not. Company clings to choice, while pretending oucome is their design.

El Fangel
05-18-2008, 07:15 AM
Even if the outcome is terrible?

Morning KK

Kane Knight
05-18-2008, 09:25 AM
Well, it wouldn't seem so stupid if the outcome was good, sooo....

Kane Knight
05-18-2008, 09:26 AM
Though, in the interest of fairness, stock prices are high, Cena moves Merch, and they're making more money (albeit off of fewer people). I'm sure Vince doesn't see things as "bad."

Hanso Amore
05-18-2008, 10:48 AM
true. Who cares whether 5 or 10 million people are watching when your making a profit.

The only time Pro Wrestling adapts is when they are in the hole....

Kane Knight
05-18-2008, 12:19 PM
Well, the good news is, it's unsustainable. They can bump ticket prices, but eventually, nobody will pay. How much will people pay for Mania? 60 dollars? 70? 80? Already, their buyrates are lower than last year, and that's with Mayweather's celecrity status. They likely took a bit of a hit on that (I know the 20 million dollars is a fake number, but they shelled out a lot to attract him).

So they will eventually be unable to report positive things to the the stockholders. They will eventually take hits in stock price and the like, and when they start scrambling, we might see them give a shit.

darkpower
05-19-2008, 05:25 AM
Personally, I rhink the WWE can use the "mixed reaction" thing as a way of advertising "free speech" of the fans at a WWE event again (like they did during that whole 97 US vs. Canada thing or the beginning of Austin's face turn). They could really use that after years of hearing about the WWE confiscating signs and editing crowd reactions (the reactions at the SD I went to a few years ago weren't edited, but that was only one show).

I don't think the mixed reaction thing is a bad thing as long as it doesn't get too obvious that it's X-Pac heat that is being heard instead of just something that they are used to doing to "belong".

Kane Knight
05-19-2008, 07:02 AM
You're missing the point, though. Free speech or not, they're still ignoring it, because their top babyface is getting booed, and that's bad business.

Afterlife
05-19-2008, 11:56 AM
I have been thinking....

Kennedy is becoming ridiculously popular, most notably with his recent (albeit mild) face-ish turn. But there's no way to market him to babies the way they do the Wigginator. Perhaps, once we see the rise of Kennedy, the company will be almost forced to shift their tunnel vision to the people their guys actually attract.

Rob
05-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Cena is a failed face.

Yeah his drawing power sure proves this right doesn't it?

Afterlife
05-19-2008, 03:11 PM
Define "drawing power".

darkpower
05-19-2008, 07:56 PM
You're missing the point, though. Free speech or not, they're still ignoring it, because their top babyface is getting booed, and that's bad business.

That's actually what I'm not getting. Right now, only Cena's promos are bringing it up (I just started watching again after I heard about the entire Adamle thing. I didn't even know Mike took over the ECW commentary until I heard about that walk out thing, so I don't know if they are bringing it up beyond the promos or not, though I'm doubtful). The promos aren't even doing THAT very well.

My point is, with Austin, they REALLY amplified that they really didn't know WHY Austin was being cheered, since he was still doing things that were considered heel. That was the beginning of that whole "heel/face line being blurred" thing to me. Not sure why they ignore it with Cena, but I still think they can use that to clean their image and stop people from thinking that they censor their fans.

darkpower
05-19-2008, 07:57 PM
Define "drawing power".

As in, he puts asses in seats.

I bet people buy a ticket just so they can fucking boo the guy.

Afterlife
05-19-2008, 08:05 PM
Oh. I thought you may have meant "sells T-shirts to children".

darkpower
05-19-2008, 08:07 PM
Oh. I thought you may have meant "sells T-shirts to children".

Well, that too...

...to children...

...and teenage girls that would love to ride some cock.

Afterlife
05-19-2008, 08:09 PM
Yeah. But let's not confuses "puts asses in seats" with "puts lasses in heat". This can be tricky, because they rhyme, but I'm sure we can manage.

Kane Knight
05-19-2008, 08:11 PM
I have been thinking....

Kennedy is becoming ridiculously popular, most notably with his recent (albeit mild) face-ish turn. But there's no way to market him to babies the way they do the Wigginator. Perhaps, once we see the rise of Kennedy, the company will be almost forced to shift their tunnel vision to the people their guys actually attract.

Assuming Kennedy actually rises. They've teased a face push before and dropped it for whatever.

That's actually what I'm not getting. Right now, only Cena's promos are bringing it up (I just started watching again after I heard about the entire Adamle thing. I didn't even know Mike took over the ECW commentary until I heard about that walk out thing, so I don't know if they are bringing it up beyond the promos or not, though I'm doubtful). The promos aren't even doing THAT very well.

My point is, with Austin, they REALLY amplified that they really didn't know WHY Austin was being cheered, since he was still doing things that were considered heel. That was the beginning of that whole "heel/face line being blurred" thing to me. Not sure why they ignore it with Cena, but I still think they can use that to clean their image and stop people from thinking that they censor their fans.

My point is that, in doing so, they are declaring themselves winners by changing the goal markers. The fact that they're letting people boo and not ignoring it ONLY shows that they ARE ignoring the larger problem.

As in, he puts asses in seats.

I bet people buy a ticket just so they can fucking boo the guy.

Since ticket sales have been consistently down the whole time Cena's been around, it's hard to really say that he puts asses in the seats.

The WWE has reported that tickets are down, viewership is down, and buyrates are down. Ticket prices are up, but does he put asses in the seats?

Afterlife
05-20-2008, 11:22 AM
Well, Kennedy got Regal fired. That's grounds for a push...right?