PDA

View Full Version : Only 30 Minutes

Theo Dious
05-16-2008, 08:33 PM
30 Minutes I've been listening to Mick Foley do commentary, and the man is absolutely awesome and should never ever leave.

He just said "peanut butter and jealousy sandwiches."

I'm just scared that he won't stay there long. :(

IC Champion
05-16-2008, 08:39 PM
He gets better by the week too.

parkmania
05-16-2008, 08:55 PM
OK, here's what I don't get...

If Adamle had said that, everyone would have been giving him heat, but because Mick said it, it's cool???

:shrug:

IC Champion
05-16-2008, 08:56 PM
Mick was trying to be funny, not retarded.

Dorkchop
05-16-2008, 10:28 PM
OK, here's what I don't get...

If Adamle had said that, everyone would have been giving him heat, but because Mick said it, it's cool???

:shrug:

Looks like Foley isn't Jamaican you crazy.

I watched a little bit of Smackdown and liked what little I heard from Foley. It'll take some time for him to get rally good at it, but he's doing a fine job. Now, if they can just get rid of Cole.

Theo Dious
05-16-2008, 10:28 PM
See, "peanut butter and jealousy" is an intelligent and amusing word play to describe that individual's mindset. As opposed to just Adamle screwing up because he's a tard.

TerranRich
05-17-2008, 12:16 AM
FOLEY IS GOLD.

Mr. Nerfect
05-17-2008, 03:02 AM
My biggest fear about Mick Foley joining the commentary booth was that there would be two extreme babyfaces calling matches, pretty much like what we have on RAW. "John Cena is such a good guy, King," "I agree, JR." That's fucking bullshit. Guys don't need to be at each other's throats, but a good color commentator should see the virtue in vice, and provide the full moral picture the naive play-by-play guy doesn't get. Foley has been very good with this so far, has taken adequate shots at Michael Cole, talks up the heels for their abilities, and proves he has a mind that understood the technical and psychological aspects of the business far more than his actual ring work conveyed.

Mick Foley gets my full support. :y:

He is apparently trying to channel commentators he feels are underrated, like Jim Cornette, and make it all about the action, and less about him, but I think Foley can afford to be a little bit selfish. I haven't been listening too avidly to the main event programs on SmackDown!, but if Foley can relate to The Undertaker being a malicious bastard with the Hell in a Cell experience, then he should go for it.

Impeccable
05-17-2008, 03:35 AM
I think the best thing that can be said is that I hardly notice he's on commentary. Obviously I listen to the commentary, but I don't notice mistakes and his voice doesn't annoy me.

Watching Mike Adamle on Gladiators now (it's the International version where the US came over to the UK). Is there anything he doesn't suck at?

Indifferent Clox
05-17-2008, 04:38 AM
sucking. He rules at that.

Londoner
05-17-2008, 06:40 AM
FOLEY IS GOD.

fixed.

Anyway, yeah he seems to have improved a lot from his ONS1 comentary, i wonder if he's had a say in the smackdown storylines lately to.

Londoner
05-17-2008, 06:43 AM
sucking. He rules at that.

thought for a minute you meant foley. thank fuck you meant adamle!

GD
05-17-2008, 07:48 AM
Always supported Foley. He is a true legend in the wrestling business.

RVDmark
05-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Foley as a commentator rles. I watched Smackdown for the first time in about a year just to see what he is like as a commentator. And I keep watching because of him. Although Teddy Long getting the better hand over Vickie is helpfull.

Vastardikai
05-17-2008, 06:19 PM
He is apparently trying to channel commentators he feels are underrated, like Jim Cornette, and make it all about the action, and less about him, but I think Foley can afford to be a little bit selfish. I haven't been listening too avidly to the main event programs on SmackDown!, but if Foley can relate to The Undertaker being a malicious bastard with the Hell in a Cell experience, then he should go for it.

Another commentator that he felt was underrated is actually one of his best friends: Kevin Sullivan. I heard he was actually pretty good at commentating.

Also, Foley is one of the better minds in the business, even after the 800 concussions. Just reading the first book showed me that. And just because he never showed the stereotypical "Wrestling knowledge" that people attribute to the likes of Shawn Michaels or Bret Hart, doesn't mean he didn't have it. He definitely understood crowd psychology, something that was huge during his run as Cactus Jack (pre-WWF) and early Mankind (pre shirt and tie.) The style that ultimately abbreviated his career made it legendary: he seems so willing to hurt people that he didn't care what he does to himself in the process. Anyone who comes after Jack will no doubt understand the barbaric nature of his matches, but fail to grasp why it worked. It wasn't "stunt man" bumps and senseless violence. Everything he did had a meaning.

I'm gonna cut it off, here, else it'll turn into a thesis.